City council vote and latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a week or so out of the loop with the arena/team. From what I'm gathering, tonight is the most important night in determining whether or not the Kings stay? Anyone have some Sparknotes for me? Is there a set date of when everything will finally be decided and the chaos ends?

I've been a week or so out of the loop with the arena/team. From what I'm gathering, tonight is the most important night in determining whether or not the Kings stay? Anyone have some Sparknotes for me? Is there a set date of when everything will finally be decided and the chaos ends?
Tonight is the most important night thus far in this whole saga.

It is when the "whales" will be announced and Sac's bid will be legitimized. Nothing final will come until likely the BOG votes in April, but it's possible that it will be decided before that, or that at least we might all know, if not be official.

Things have been moving very fast the last few weeks, and KJ has been MASTERFUL with the PR and timing of announcements. All indications, including comments/reports from other owners, are that if KJ comes through with what he has been claiming (and essentially reporting to us) -- and this will be announced tonight (though perhaps not all the details of the bid, we will see) -- that it will be a no brainer to keep the Kings in town, or at the very least, block the sale to Hansen/Ballmer. We seem to have all the momentum at the moment. City council votes are pretty much locked in favor of a major arena subsidy, if that is part of the plan. Final arena site still not nailed down.

And like KJ.... I'M PUMPED TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
My contacts in the Sac Media all say they've never had so many invites and "You're going to be there, right??" from the Mayor's office. If he doesn't announce, or he announces something like "We have 40 more people investing $1 million each," I'll be bummed, but it's not the end of the world.

My contacts in the Sac Media all say they've never had so many invites and "You're going to be there, right??" from the Mayor's office. If he doesn't announce, or he announces something like "We have 40 more people investing $1 million each," I'll be bummed, but it's not the end of the world.

If he doesn't announce tonight it would be a huge misstep. He allowed for the media to speculate all week that this was the day with no corrections. Had yesterday he said "no announcement tonight, soon though" that would be one thing. Everyone involved in this will be watching tonight. This is a big big deal tonight.

Tonight is Mayor Johnson's 2013 State of the City: Sacramento Next event.

Crown Downtown has always backed Mayor Johnson with his goals of keeping the Kings, building a downtown entertainment and sports complex, a reuse of Natomas and other reasons that are #BiggerThanBasketball

Show your support with our Twibbon and hashtag of #WeSupportKJ

To make one go to: http://twibbon.com/support/crown-downtown

What time is that for us?

Also, anyone have a link to where I can watch this online?
This is one of the stations that has been following it, would think they might have it

http://news10.net/

No promises.

This station's reporter says they will carry it live:

Jim Crandell ‏@JimCrandell
One more time because people keep asking, FOX40 will carry Mayor KJ's entire speech LIVE on TV at 6PM.

http://www.fox40.com/

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know if there will be much announced tonight that will really sway the final outcome, at least nothing that we don't already suspect. Most likely KJ announces investors, but does he go into detail on the plan? Probably not enough detail to tell one way or another how the BOG will take it. I wouldn't expect numbers or details (although I would love it if those were announced).

As long as everything goes according to plan, then the biggest date is the vote itself. In the meantime, we just have to keep showing support for the mayor's efforts, hope that a new/good arena plan falls into place over the next few weeks, and hope that there are no pitfalls along the way. Steady news is good news.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Honestly, I don't know if there will be much announced tonight that will really sway the final outcome, at least nothing that we don't already suspect. Most likely KJ announces investors, but does he go into detail on the plan? Probably not enough detail to tell one way or another how the BOG will take it. I wouldn't expect numbers or details (although I would love it if those were announced).

As long as everything goes according to plan, then the biggest date is the vote itself. In the meantime, we just have to keep showing support for the mayor's efforts, hope that a new/good arena plan falls into place over the next few weeks, and hope that there are no pitfalls along the way. Steady news is good news.
Agreed. In general, I think he will announce the whales tonight.

He tends to under-promise and over-deliver, so i wonder if there may be others involved announced tonight? Maybe a Webber or other former player to be a minority owner? Maybe the basics of the arena plan to be proposed? Obviously all of this is just speculation on my part, but I kinda hope there is a little surprise to tonight as well as the expected.

Agreed. In general, I think he will announce the whales tonight.

He tends to under-promise and over-deliver, so i wonder if there may be others involved announced tonight? Maybe a Webber or other former player to be a minority owner? Maybe the basics of the arena plan to be proposed? Obviously all of this is just speculation on my part, but I kinda hope there is a little surprise to tonight as well as the expected.

I wonder if the whales (annoying word, maybe it will soon be retired with their announcement) will be there in person tonight

I wonder if the whales (annoying word, maybe it will soon be retired with their announcement) will be there in person tonight
Bob Moffitt ‏@BobMoffitt
Just talked w mayor kohnson "there will be a whale sighting tonight... singular" at state of city @HereWeStay #playingtowin @CrownDowntown

Your interpetation/guess is as good as mine.

Bob Moffitt ‏@BobMoffitt
Just talked w mayor kohnson "there will be a whale sighting tonight... singular" at state of city @HereWeStay #playingtowin @CrownDowntown

Your interpetation/guess is as good as mine.
Hmmm. Burkle? Ellison? Some other huge whale? If it's just Mastrov might be bit of a downer since he's rich but not super rich.

Is this what I'm watching? Is this it? Star Spangled Banner? Standing - O for all the politicians in the room? This is making me barf...

Last edited:
That makes sense and possibly a good thing. The one pulling the strings not pimping themselves (not talking about Mastrov)
Im almost 100% positive mastrov will be there tonight
Oops, I wasn't clear. I was trying to say having Burkle pulling the strings but not wanting the limelight is a good thing. The "pimping themselves" was a reference to the current owners.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The coverage is crappy, with the camera aimed at the currently empty speaker's podium and not focused on the video currently being shown on the multiple screens up around the auditorium. You definitely get a feel of almost a campaign event, though, and it's clear they're working towards building excitement for what is about to come.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The host keeps getting worse. He actually reminds me of Rupe the Hoop. (If you don't know who he is, consider yourself very lucky.)

Status
Not open for further replies.