Cavs @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refs were fair for the most part, Reke finally had some rookie moments (at a very inopportune time) and the Kings lost in overtime versus one of the top 3 teams in the league. It happens. Overtime against the Cavs? I'll take it. The Kings were operating much too frantically to function in overtime and couldn't run their offense. And Big Z turned into Ray Allen. Who knew?
Forget about Reke! What about Casspi?!?! The dude single gave the game away with his Larry Bird impression out there. I love the dude, don't get me wrong, but we can't have him making plays like that. He needs to learn his place... he's a teammate, along with everyone else on the team. Not our star.

WTF Kings. Going scoreless in the OT. They should have called a timeout near the end of the 4th. I don't care if they want to catch the Cavs defense off-guard. Cavs are a good defensive team and the best way to score against them is a set play. They've been good with offensive sets all year.

Oh man. I hate this loss.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Lots of mistakes this game, bad freethrow shooting, Jason Thompson bad outlets and inbounds pass flying out of bounds other side... brining 5 people next to tyreke on last posession of regulation..

It wasn't Westphal's fault, he made the decision to keep the Cavs defense offguard.

Tyreke tried to be the hero and lost the game for us. Thats what happens. Sometimes you make the play, sometimes you don't.

This isn't the Wizards or the Bucks. This is Lebron and the Cavs! It's a top NBA team!
We had golden opportunity and we ****ted it away. How do you not even get a god damn shot off?! Its completely inexcusable. I'm disgusted.

Oh and if I see Thompson throw one more wild ****ing lead pass out of bounds I'm gonna ****ing scream! It's not ok anymore bro, quit ****ing doing it because we're loosing games because of your stupid *** mistakes!

28 points for tyreke didnt the cavs put lebron on him towards the end of the game putting lebron on our rookie says a lot for a team that only won 17 last year:D hmmm this is perfect now we are due for a win against the lakers that would mean so much more for this franchise to beat la
B E A T ..... L A !!!!!!!!

we didn't lose this in overtime or in the last posession of the 4th quarter. We missed 7 FTs tonight. We miss 6 - we win the game - simple as that.
With this logic, if the refs saw the pass inbound to Varejao bounced out of bounds and didn't count that basket, Kings win.

Reke got hammered a few times when he went to the basket and didn't get a call. But overall, the refs did a decent job.

Kings only had 10 turnovers this game.

Lots of mistakes this game, bad freethrow shooting, Jason Thompson bad outlets and inbounds pass flying out of bounds other side... brining 5 people next to tyreke on last posession of regulation..
Jason does this like 3-4 times a game (turning the ball over every time). He's the the last player in the entire NBA, who I'd want to have the ball at the opposite end of the court. Why does he always think he can hit a homerun pass? Why is he even taking the ball out since he's a walking turnover at that end of the court?

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Jason does this like 3-4 times a game (turning the ball over every time). He's the the last player in the entire NBA, who I'd want to have the ball at the opposite end of the court. Why does he always think he can hit a homerun pass? Why is he even taking the ball out since he's a walking turnover at that end of the court?
he had 3 of those bad passes this game, one outlet pass into two cavs players, one out of bounds from..out of bounds.. then another one early in the game out of bounds when he tried to hit casspi

With this logic, if the refs saw the pass inbound to Varejao bounced out of bounds and didn't count that basket, Kings win.

Reke got hammered a few times when he went to the basket and didn't get a call. But overall, the refs did a decent job.

Completely different. Refs make mistakes, everyone knows that. We make FREE throws, which isn't based on luck, and we win. Free throws have cost us quite a few games this year

I loved this game until the OT. These are situations that young guys have to experience to learn from them......We are only two games under 500. Its December 23 lets
B E A T LA !!!!!!!:)

We played a great game, just lost to a better team. I don't mind Westphal not calling a timeout. I can see why you wouldn't want to let a top defensive team set itself up after a timeout. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Its not Westphals fault Omri came over and brought a triple team to Tyreke, and basically was just in the ******* way.

Overtime was disappointing, but it happens to young teams. Omri definately got carried away, and wasted a few posessions. But everyone showed up tonight. Spencer played great. There are a lot of positives we can take from this game.

We have recently showed we can beat an average team in a close games in the closing minutes. We're not good enough yet to beat an elite team in the closing minutes. We're close, but tnot there yet.

Timeout was needed @ the end of the 4th; that simple.

Coach was trying to tell the team to get back/away from 'Reke, so that he could iso against 'Bron, but, they were on a diff page. Hawes was trying 2 set screens, which lead to Ilgauskas cheating off of Hawes & DBL-teaming 'Reke causing confusion in the last secs of regulation for a young guy, fumbling of the ball, etc.
Coach should have called a timeout, drew up a good play w/his best 5, so that everyone is on the same page.

I cant believe this crap. A team that was playing 2 rookies, a 2nd year player, a 3rd year player down the stretch and we go to OT and people are bi......?

Dont get me wrong, I am very disappointed, we had nothing but 1 on 1 in the entire overtime period, that was awful, but just the fact that this YOUNG team played VERY well and was oh so close to winning against one of the best teams in the league shows how far this team has come. We should not even be in the game. We should go 3-7 or 4-6 at best coming up. So when it happens are so many of you going to sit around and complain about how poorly they played?

Can we have just a little less negativity??

piksi

Hall of Famer

only thing we could control are free throws

I'm not really disappointed with this loss(I know it's easy for me to say since I wasn't able to watch, I was just following the game thread). Going to overtime with one of the elite teams in the NBA says a lot about a young team being lead by a rookie and a new coach.

If indeed the players did not spread out like they were supposed to in the last play is just one of those mistakes that a young players commit and I'm sure they will learn from this experience. I also don't blame PW for not calling a timeout on the last play too. He had to choose either to make an offensive set for the last play or to give one of the best defensive teams in the NBA to prepare a defensive set of their own. He made the choice, we lost, and s*** happens. But i'm glad he showed confidence towards his players during crunch time.

All in all, i'm sad we lost but i'm glad our team gave one of the best teams and the best NBA player right now a good fight.

We played a great game, just lost to a better team. I don't mind Westphal not calling a timeout. I can see why you wouldn't want to let a top defensive team set itself up after a timeout. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Its not Westphals fault Omri came over and brought a triple team to Tyreke, and basically was just in the ******* way.

Overtime was disappointing, but it happens to young teams. Omri definately got carried away, and wasted a few posessions. But everyone showed up tonight. Spencer played great. There are a lot of positives we can take from this game.

We have recently showed we can beat an average team in a close games in the closing minutes. We're not good enough yet to beat an elite team in the closing minutes. We're close, but tnot there yet.
He sees Tyreke goes 1 on 5 twenty times in a row, when he, Omri, shoots the lights out in the first half and doesn't get a single ball so he ends up going out of his element in 2 consecutive possessions. Westphal's fault. Didn't manage it properly. Tyreke should realize he won't beat this Cavs team going one on five. this ain't the bulls or the bucks. He clearly cannot run a team yet. But Beno also didn't look for Omri. This whole team is just pounding the ball. there is no drive and kick action. No ball movement. It was pretty pathetic to see Tyreke going one on 5 when Lebron doesn't even think twice - He doesn't feel there is a reason to try and drive against Omri - he simply passes to Mo or Z and let them shoot. Over and over and over...you see Tyreke..this is how you do it...not banging your head against the wall...this was a winnable game. damn

Completely different. Refs make mistakes, everyone knows that. We make FREE throws, which isn't based on luck, and we win. Free throws have cost us quite a few games this year
Fair enough.

I really can't blame Westphal for not calling a timeout. Maybe he already had the play setup from the previous timeout? He obviously didn't want to give the Cavs a chance to regroup.

The only issue I had with Westphal was not playing Donte when LBJ started to guard Reke. If he had Reke/Donte/Casspi/JT/Hawes, LBJ would have to guard Donte or Casspi, unless the Cavs wanted to put Mo or Parker on Donte and Casspi. This baffled me when the Westphal didn't do this when the Kings would have had an advantage to put this kind of lineup on the floor.

Forget about Reke! What about Casspi?!?! The dude single gave the game away with his Larry Bird impression out there. I love the dude, don't get me wrong, but we can't have him making plays like that. He needs to learn his place... he's a teammate, along with everyone else on the team. Not our star.

I'm not saying Reke is a scapegoat. That being said, Casspi was forced into those shots by our unorganized offense in the OT. He isn't somebody who can make those shots, but the fact remains that both 'scoops' were taken within the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. (And now the employees at 31 flavors are very confused) Bad shots, sure. Better than a turnover, yeah. You have a chance for an offensive rebound

The only issue I had with Westphal was not playing Donte when LBJ started to guard Reke. If he had Reke/Donte/Casspi/JT/Hawes, LBJ would have to guard Donte or Casspi, unless the Cavs wanted to put Mo or Parker on Donte and Casspi. This baffled me when the Westphal didn't do this when the Kings would have had an advantage to put this kind of lineup on the floor.

Hindsight is 20/20. He wanted Beno in as a veteran leader. (I agree with you though)

He sees Tyreke goes 1 on 5 twenty times in a row, when he, Omri, shoots the lights out in the first half and doesn't get a single ball so he ends up going out of his element in 2 consecutive possessions. Westphal's fault. Didn't manage it properly. Tyreke should realize he won't beat this Cavs team going one on five. this ain't the bulls or the bucks. He clearly cannot run a team yet. But Beno also didn't look for Omri. This whole team is just pounding the ball. there is no drive and kick action. No ball movement. It was pretty pathetic to see Tyreke going one on 5 when Lebron doesn't even think twice - He doesn't feel there is a reason to try and drive against Omri - he simply passes to Mo or Z and let them shoot. Over and over and over...you see Tyreke..this is how you do it...not banging your head against the wall...this was a winnable game. damn
Really? Tyreke took Lebron to the hole to tie the game up with half a minute left. Tyreke is one of the main reasons we won 3 of 4 coming into this game, and now you don't think he can run an offense? Please.

And quit making excuses for Omri. He had a good game, but had a horrible last 6 minutes. You learn how to space the floor at a pretty elementary level of basketball. Its not Westphals fault Omri got in the way at the end of regulation, and its not Westphals fault Omri jacked up 2 bad shots in overtime.

I love Omri, but quit blaming his mistakes on everyone else. He's a very impressive rookie, but he's not ready to take over games. Its not Tyreke's/Beno's job to only look to get Omri off. It's a team game.

Actually, if you saw the game, you would see that Tyreke did not go 1 on 5 except for that one possession before Westphal called a timeout. The whole team just stopped doing anything in OT and don't blame it on one player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not really disappointed with this loss(I know it's easy for me to say since I wasn't able to watch, I was just following the game thread). Going to overtime with one of the elite teams in the NBA says a lot about a young team being lead by a rookie and a new coach.

If indeed the players did not spread out like they were supposed to in the last play is just one of those mistakes that a young players commit and I'm sure they will learn from this experience. I also don't blame PW for not calling a timeout on the last play too. He had to choose either to make an offensive set for the last play or to give one of the best defensive teams in the NBA to prepare a defensive set of their own. He made the choice, we lost, and s*** happens. But i'm glad he showed confidence towards his players during crunch time.

All in all, i'm sad we lost but i'm glad our team gave one of the best teams and the best NBA player right now a good fight.
Great post, IMHO. People really need to take a deep breath and think about it ... We're the Kings; they're the Cavaliers. They played a good game tonight and only won in overtime. There's no shame in that. And the plus is that our young team will take lessons away from tonight's game that just might help them in the game on Saturday.

GO KINGS!

This quote came from the AP on both ESPN and Sac Bee web sites.

"The Kings started five players age 23 or younger. The old man in the lineup was the 23-year-old Thompson."

The future is most definitely bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.