Building a bench

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Duncan Passing the torch. My god the Spurs are the Yankees of basketball minus the butthead owner, large market, bulldog media, and arrogant pissy fans. They may never suck again.
I may have to say that the Lakers or Celtics are the Yankees of basketball based on the number of championships. Aldridge doesn't scare me that much on San Antonio though to be honest....Parker and Ginobili are on their last leg just like Duncan is.

Is there even any other suitors for Rondo? The consensus was Lakers but they will now want to accelerate the development of Russell. You have Rudy apparently pushing for him, Cousins likes him, we are looking for PG depth, we will struggle to get any good FA's this summer. It just spells like a risk we would take, buy at an all time low on Rondo.

The only other suitor I see for Rondo are the Knicks, even then he doesnt fit the triangle, and Rondo is most at home in freeflowing system, which Karl is a proponent of. I think thats why im leaning yes on Rondo, he likes to push the ball and sets guys up. Guys like Ben and Nik will benefit. Rudy will go back to being more of a finisher, less Rudy iso. Lobs for WCS, Cousins will get better entry passes. Also maybe you can bring a Derrick Williams back on the cheap as a bench athlete finisher, as we saw with Miller, hes a guy that needs you to set the table for him.

I think we need to accept that our franchise is a joke right now, and free agents know it. So, we need to take risks with those players whose reputations are at an all time low, like Rondo. I don't know why, but this is something that could even work out in same ways.

Let's be honest, if Rondo didn't have all the red flags he has, we wouldn't even be in the discussion to get him. If we have a shot, it's because nobody wants him right now.

At this point, we need to take risks. We are not going to get Danny Green (he's not crazy enough to go from the best organization in sport to the worst...), Aldridge or any top FA. Rondo might come cheap, on a short deal, on a team where he's wanted and where he has friends. Give me a backcourt of Rondo, Collison, McLemore and hopefully Stuckey, and I'll be very happy.

Not after what I saw in the playoffs. If you're a pg that can't shoot it just hurts the team to much an in our case it would be a death sentence considering we have no shooters.

On that list I'd take Holiday
yes, but his shot is not broken

his speed and defense is something to be desired of. The shot will come around.

53 mins ago - via Twitter Chris_Broussard

Chris Broussard: Sources: Sac, Wash, Hou, LAL, Mia, Phx, NYK expected to show interest in Derrick Williams

another scatter gun approach? This guy must know Derrick's Agent pretty well LOL

Gee I don't think I have seen one kingsfans.com post that we are expected to show interest

I saw one tweet that we were not planning on making a qualified offer ( I guess that qualifies as "show interest" LOL

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...rajon-rondo-or-trade-for-starting-point-guard

This version of the story notes that Rudy is one of the biggest guys pushing for Rondo, although if you read the tweet it says that's he's trying to push RONDO to sign with us. Makes sense of course as if I recall he is a friend of Rondo's, but would be an indication that even after everything Rondo may still have his objections to us (and gee, shocker).

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Ya gotta wonder if Rondo is a 1-and-done shot at PG no matter how things work in Sactown as he wants a big market and long term contract. How will that affect the Kings getting deeper into the playoffs if a starting PG is just renting space here for a year. Seems to me Kings need a vet in front of DC as DC would be great off the bench while one (or two) of the young gun PGs get their feet wet and begin to show how well they might do in the big time.

Ya gotta wonder if Rondo is a 1-and-done shot at PG no matter how things work in Sactown as he wants a big market and long term contract. How will that affect the Kings getting deeper into the playoffs if a starting PG is just renting space here for a year. Seems to me Kings need a vet in front of DC as DC would be great off the bench while one (or two) of the young gun PGs get their feet wet and begin to show how well they might do in the big time.
If we make the Play-Offs with Rondo, I think he'll stay. But even if he leaves we'll be coming off a PO season so it shouldn't be too hard to sign a new PG.

We don't have a history of losing our best players via FA.

The best way to build a bench is to improve your starting 5 and "demote" the starter or two to the bench.

Getting Rondo moves Collison to the bench, and improving the overall team balance. Get someone like Green and it means McLemore goes to the bench. Now re-sign Casspi and all of a sudden it's a decent bench along with JT or WCS.

Replacing Collison with Rondo actually doesn't improve team balance, since it puts very ball-dominant player in the starting lineup, that doesn't need one. Rondo would actually work much better with bench unit, especially if Kings can move Mclemore to the bench as well: Ben, Omri, Willie and JT are all very good to elite athletes (in terms of mobility) for their positions and don't require the ball in their hands (maybe with the exception of Omri) - Rondo could very well average 7p+6r+8a in 28 minutes leading that unit. But given that Rondo hasn't come off the bench since his rookie season, I don't think anyone will even bring that up.

Replacing Collison with Rondo actually doesn't improve team balance, since it puts very ball-dominant player in the starting lineup, that doesn't need one. Rondo would actually work much better with bench unit, especially if Kings can move Mclemore to the bench as well: Ben, Omri, Willie and JT are all very good to elite athletes (in terms of mobility) for their positions and don't require the ball in their hands (maybe with the exception of Omri) - Rondo could very well average 7p+6r+8a in 28 minutes leading that unit. But given that Rondo hasn't come off the bench since his rookie season, I don't think anyone will even bring that up.
Exactly my thought. Rondo would be a better fit coming from the bench. Not sure he'll accept that though...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...rajon-rondo-or-trade-for-starting-point-guard

This version of the story notes that Rudy is one of the biggest guys pushing for Rondo, although if you read the tweet it says that's he's trying to push RONDO to sign with us. Makes sense of course as if I recall he is a friend of Rondo's, but would be an indication that even after everything Rondo may still have his objections to us (and gee, shocker).
I wouldn't read too far into that. If a player didn't have objections with signing with us, I'd think something was wrong with them.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Bosnian Diehard makes some sense that if Rondo takes us to playoffs and he sees the team develop into a contender, he is more likely to stay. But his history is not one of great comradierie and being a voice of reason getting on with everyone. But now we gotta start worrying if it is worth it in any case. Leaning more toward yes but.....