Bonzi goes AWOL.

He ran away, literally...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4700259.html

Wells absent as Rockets prepare for Sonics
By JONATHAN.FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

SEATTLE — Rockets guard Bonzi Wells, after struggling through two games since returning from the inactive list, did not join the team for Monday's game against the Seattle SuperSonics, leaving only a message with athletic trainer Keith Jones.
Wells also skipped Monday's walk-through at the team hotel, but left Jones a message saying he thought he was being a distraction. He did not speak with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy, who was unable to reach Wells by phone.
Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson was not immediately available. Wells' agent, Bill Duffy, said he would look into the matter.
"I don't know where he is," Van Gundy said. "I haven't talked to him. He left a message with Keith that he thought he was disrupting chemistry. I just tried to call him. His mailbox is full. I don't have an answer."
Van Gundy said he did not agree that Wells was a problem, but would not discuss potential penalties for Wells' absence or his reaction to it.
"I want to make sure he's safe first," Van Gundy said. "Let's take it one step at a time. He's not here tonight. Let's make sure he's OK and go from there. Once I know he's all right, we'll take whatever the next step is. I want to make sure he's safe, first."
Wells played 23 minutes on Friday, making 1 of 7 shots with three turnovers. He played just five minutes in Sacramento on Sunday, missing his only shot and committing two turnovers before, Van Gundy said, he asked out of the game. He did not play again.
Wells has struggled throughout the season, spending much of the first two months on the inactive list, and twice going out with back injuries. He went out again last month with a sore right foot, but remained inactive for 18 games, long after his foot was fully healed while Van Gundy considered other options off the bench.
Saying he was not happy with the team's play, Van Gundy returned Wells to the rotation last week. Van Gundy said he had no issues with Wells' attitude when he was inactive or since.
"He's been great," Van Gundy said. "He played four or five minutes last night and asked to come out. It was more frustration. That was my guess. I don't have any answers."
Wells, who is expected to opt out his two-year contract with the Rockets after the season, has played in just 28 games, averaging 7.8 points on 41.3 percent shooting, 14.3 percent shooting from the 3-point line and 56.1 percent shooting from the free throw line.
"I don't know what the situation is," Tracy McGrady said. "Obviously, it has to be something really bothering him to put himself in that situation to take himself out. I don't know. I haven't talked to him. I don't think he's talked to anybody."

Wow, just ... wow. Could the last 12 months been any more of a rollercoster for Bonzi?

This reminds me of what the Patriots went through with Andy Katzenmoyer - only about 100 times stranger.

What a mess, and to think everyone would have been a lot better off (Bonzi, Kings, his former agent, the Rockets) if they had just taken Petrie's offer.

supermario-

We will still trade you Bonzi for KT straight up, no questions asked. ;) :D
How wonderfully generous of you? But first you have to find him.

I was going to make a photoshop of where's waldo with bonzi but I can't get photoshop to work right now.

Oh man. lol Coming back to Sacramento was probably the breaking point.

I thought I heard someone screaming "38 MILLION!!!! GAHHHHH!!!!" early this morning.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
How wonderfully generous of you? But first you have to find him.
Not necessary. No physical required.

In fact, the longer he stays away the better for this team. We wouldn't want anyone to accidentally get more wins for us this season. ;)

Not necessary. No physical required.

In fact, the longer he stays away the better for this team. We wouldn't want anyone to accidentally get more wins for us this season. ;)
The way Bonzi was playing, he'd probably help lose a few more games. I'd want him on the floor ASAP.

Bonzi needs to return to Sac; he was happy and successful here. The Kings should give him the vet minimum and a spot on the bench; if we could sign and trade him for KT, double bonus! From an outsider's perspective (which is worthless, but I will type it anyway), it appears Bonzi does not feel like he is a part of the team and what is going on in Houston; like the Incredible Hulk, "...doomed to wander the planet alone forever" (bonus for identifying the quote)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bonzi needs to return to Sac; he was happy and successful here.
He was, but have to wonder with Rick gone, likely Artest too, whether you could go back again on that point. Nonetheless, as we enter an offseason where if there is a deity of any sort out there, we should be shuffling bodies all over the league, I would seriously have Bonzi's number at the top of my list as a cheap familiar talent we could bring in to patch any holes that might have opened up due to 3 for 1, 3 for 1 etc. type trades.

Bonzi needs to return to Sac; he was happy and successful here. The Kings should give him the vet minimum and a spot on the bench; if we could sign and trade him for KT, double bonus! From an outsider's perspective (which is worthless, but I will type it anyway), it appears Bonzi does not feel like he is a part of the team and what is going on in Houston; like the Incredible Hulk, "...doomed to wander the planet alone forever" (bonus for identifying the quote)

Bonus for NoBonus!:p

Wells is done for the season

Report: Rockets' Wells done for season

Bonzi Wells' season is coming to a premature end.

A day after Wells skipped the team's game in Seattle, the Rockets decided the guard will not play again in 2007, according to a report in the Houston Chronicle.
The report, citing "a person with knowledge of the Rockets' decision-making," said Wells will be fined for the game he missed but nothing further.
Wells' agent, Bill Duffy, confirmed to the paper that Wells left the team and will speak with Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. "He felt he was hurting the team," Duffy said, according to the report. "He did not want to be a distraction with his play. It was not his actions. He was frustrated with his play and did not want to hurt the team. His methodology was wrong, but that's what he was trying to do." Wells played just five minutes in his last game action — in Sacramento on Sunday — before, head coach Jeff Van Gundy said, he asked out of the game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6666632

Report: Rockets' Wells done for season

Bonzi Wells' season is coming to a premature end.

A day after Wells skipped the team's game in Seattle, the Rockets decided the guard will not play again in 2007, according to a report in the Houston Chronicle.
The report, citing "a person with knowledge of the Rockets' decision-making," said Wells will be fined for the game he missed but nothing further.
Wells' agent, Bill Duffy, confirmed to the paper that Wells left the team and will speak with Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. "He felt he was hurting the team," Duffy said, according to the report. "He did not want to be a distraction with his play. It was not his actions. He was frustrated with his play and did not want to hurt the team. His methodology was wrong, but that's what he was trying to do." Wells played just five minutes in his last game action — in Sacramento on Sunday — before, head coach Jeff Van Gundy said, he asked out of the game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6666632
Wow...I really hope he doesnt do anything self-destructive...we saw the 'good' Bonzi last year. I really wonder what the heck the Maloofs and GP have in mind for a coach next year. In a perfect world, we'd get Bonzi and Rick back and live happily ever after...but unfortunately, that is the Kings' past and not the present or future. Man...if only Bonzi had David Falk as his agent last summer.:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel really sorry for Bonzi. His agent may have done the single most destructive thing possible for his future by convincing him NOT to take the Kings deal. Nothing has gone right for him since then...

Coming back to Sacramento to play the other night must have been really tough on him. He was loved in Arco, and the way his face lit up when he heard the cheers from the crowd was like a kid at Christmas.

Anyone who ever doubted the ability of Rick Adelman to work with problem players only has to think back and realize Sacramento with Adelman at the helm was probably the last best chance Wells had for a productive career.

I hope he's able to get past this...

If only he accepted the contract offer!!! he was playing great with the kings! especially before the playoffs and during hte playoffs.. his agent has maybe ruined his career.

Anyone who ever doubted the ability of Rick Adelman to work with problem players only has to think back and realize Sacramento with Adelman at the helm was probably the last best chance Wells had for a productive career.
No one ever doubted it but the reason Bonzi played how he did really didn't have much to do with the coach but more to the fact that he was in a contract year and had been hurt for about 2 months and needed to play in order to get his deal. Unfortunately he had an agent who didn't know what he was doing and it cost him and Bonzi really has no one to blame but himself.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I can't help but admire Ryle's consistency; a year's gone by, and he still refuses to give Adelman credit for anything...

If Ryle were to make a post saying that Adelman's not really the father of his children, I wouldn't be even a little surprised... :p

Coming back to Sacramento to play the other night must have been really tough on him. He was loved in Arco, and the way his face lit up when he heard the cheers from the crowd was like a kid at Christmas.
didn't really feel anything until i read that. now i feel sorry for him too! come back bonzi!!! :)

and bring rick to, would ya?

I can't help but admire Ryle's consistency; a year's gone by, and he still refuses to give Adelman credit for anything...

If Ryle were to make a post saying that Adelman's not really the father of his children, I wouldn't be even a little surprised... :p
Whose children? Adelman's or Ryle's ?

This is why you don't sign Bonzi Wells to a long-term deal. And you guys all doubted Petrie. How's Kevin been doing this year, again?
Um, I love GP as much as the next guy, but he is the one that offered Wells $38.5 mil in the first place. He does not really get any credit for being lucky in my book.

Hey, maybe Bonzi will show up in SA tonight so the Kings can actually beat the Spurs. ;)