Awesome trade idea (morphed into Kings related)

From the Portland Tribune:

"Garnett, who turns 30 in May, still has plenty of tread on his sneakers. He is making $18 million this year and has three years and $66 million left on his contract, including $20 million next season. The Blazers could offer three players who would contend for starting roles with Minnesota — center Theo Ratliff ($11.6 million), point guard Sebastian Telfair ($1.8 million) or Jarrett Jack ($1.1 million) and small forward Travis Outlaw ($1.3 million)."

Oh my GOODNESS!! WHY haven't the Timberwolves done this deal yet?!?!?!

Last edited:
And to think, the only offer we came up with is Bonzi, Shareef, and Brad Miller. Shame on us for lowballing the T'Wolves when Portland can give them such a better quality deal. What were we thinking?!

Damn, Mchale would win the LVGM award. I call it LVGM anyways, it stands for least valuable general manager!:D

If he really wants it that bad though, he could always ask for Malik Rose and Francis from NY though.

piksi

Hall of Famer
BMiller52 said:
Damn, Mchale would win the LVGM award. I call it LVGM anyways, it stands for least valuable general manager!:D

If he really wants it that bad though, he could always ask for Malik Rose and Francis from NY though.
that would be Scott Layden memorial - SLM award

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's why I hate having snippets posted...

Here's the complete portion of the article that pertains to the possible acquisition of Garnett:

• The summer could provide the rare opportunity to land a superstar. The Blazers should get in on the bidding for Kevin Garnett.

The 6-11 big man is not happy with the situation in Minnesota. The Timberwolves are losing and going in the wrong direction as a franchise. Garnett has not asked for a trade, but he ripped his teammates for joking around in the locker room after a recent defeat, and missing the playoffs for the second straight year won’t sit well.

Garnett, who turns 30 in May, still has plenty of tread on his sneakers. He is making $18 million this year and has three years and $66 million left on his contract, including $20 million next season. The Blazers could offer three players who would contend for starting roles with Minnesota — center Theo Ratliff ($11.6 million), point guard Sebastian Telfair ($1.8 million) or Jarrett Jack ($1.1 million) and small forward Travis Outlaw ($1.3 million).

If Portland is able to re-sign free agent Joel Przybilla, that would mean Przybilla, Garnett, Zach Randolph and Darius Miles would form the front line. The trade would break up the Blazers’ logjam at point guard and leave a hole only at shooting guard, where Martell Webster would be another year closer to developing into an NBA player.

Just a thought.
Just a thought? I'm thinkin' it should say "just a pipe dream, and BTW, pass the pipe!"

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hmm...have been saving my own new Garnett/Minny proposal for the offseason, but maybe its time to start a Garnett Sweepstakes Part II thread in the personnel moves forum. ;)

Actually the blazers might be able to put together a decent offer for Garnett when Randolph's BYC comes off. I'm thinking like Portland's pick, Randolph, Telfair, S&T Pryzbilla. Blake has been good for them this year so I think they could lose Telfair.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
Hmm...have been saving my own new Garnett/Minny proposal for the offseason, but maybe its time to start a Garnett Sweepstakes Part II thread in the personnel moves forum. ;)
In the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Git 'er dun!"

;)

Bricklayer said:
How many times can you repackage any combination of Bonzi, Shareef, Brad, Mike, and Kenny Thomas? Unless it's a multiple team trade...

Garnett is one of the few players I would say open season on. Trade whatever it takes to get him. Sure its gonna take a few years to get a team around him but the fact is, he is a true superstar talent that appears to be available.

Bricklayer

kingkung said:
How many times can you repackage any combination of Bonzi, Shareef, Brad, Mike, and Kenny Thomas? Unless it's a multiple team trade...
Oh no. If the sweepstakes are actually on, you need more than just those guys. Two of them can be the base. But the Wolves will get better offers.

Bricklayer said:
Oh no. If the sweepstakes are actually on, you need more than just those guys. Two of them can be the base. But the Wolves will get better offers.
But we don't have any better players... Artest not included...

Bricklayer

BigWaxer said:
Garnett is one of the few players I would say open season on. Trade whatever it takes to get him. Sure its gonna take a few years to get a team around him but the fact is, he is a true superstar talent that appears to be available.
Wrong forum. But this is the ouch:

our #1. Mike. Kevin. Reef.

Works financially. If we resign Bonzi, works on the court. Leaves us sans PG unless Cisco steps up. With Kevin's development, very attractive package for the Wolves too. = throw in possible options for Corliss (ending) for Jaric (patchig PG) -- also works financially. And Vitaly (ending) for Griffin (backup C/shotblocker). Thus unloading almost all of their unwanted pieces for ending deals, and patching many holes for us.

When the time comes, its the sort of thing that could realistically land KG. Figure the Bulls will have the first and best shot if they want him. After that...how many teams could trade away what we did there and still field Brad/KG/Artest/Bonzi/Garcia/Thomas(/Jaric/Griffin)?

P.S. As an aside leaving the Wolves with a very respectable Mike/Kevin/Davis/Reef/Blount/Hassel/Banks lineup, with McCants, our #1, their #1, Kevin and Banks as a nice young rebuilding group.

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

BigWaxer said:
You need that team around him ASAP. A few years, and the man is 32 going on 50. If it could be done quickly, I'm all for it.

Bricklayer said:

Works financially. If we resign Bonzi, works on the court. Leaves us sans PG unless Cisco steps up. With Kevin's development, very attractive package for the Wolves too. = throw in possible options for Corliss (ending) for Jaric (patchig PG) -- also works financially. And Vitaly (ending) for Griffin (backup C/shotblocker). Thus unloading almost all of their unwanted pieces for ending deals, and patching many holes for us.
That's a very sensible deal for both teams. Still, would be sad to see Mike go. I'm hoping we can lowball them...

Also, are you sure that beats Ratliff, Jarrett Jack, and (that other unknown player who I can't remember the name of right now)? I dunno, Portland's pretty money... :)

Bricklayer said:

When the time comes, its the sort of thing that could realistically land KG. Figure the Bulls will have the first and best shot if they want him. After that...how many teams could trade away what we did there and still field Brad/KG/Artest/Bonzi/Garcia/Thomas(/Jaric/Griffin)?

P.S. As an aside leaving the Wolves with a very respectable Mike/Kevin/Davis/Reef/Blount/Hassel/Banks lineup, with McCants, our #1, their #1, Kevin and Banks as a nice young rebuilding group.
I'd much rather send off Brad than Mike, start Kenny next to KG, makes a much more physical lineup and let's us keep our PG. Bibby/Bonzi/Artest/Thomas/Garnett is much scarier to me than a patchwork PG and Brad at center.

captain bill said:
I'd much rather send off Brad than Mike, start Kenny next to KG, makes a much more physical lineup and let's us keep our PG. Bibby/Bonzi/Artest/Thomas/Garnett is much scarier to me than a patchwork PG and Brad at center.
So would I, but I'm not the T'Wolves.

Oh heck, what's a Garnett thread without a wacky trade proposal?

Kings send Bibby, Shareef to Minnesota
Kings send Corliss, Garcia, Potapenko to Seattle
Seattle sends Rashard Lewis to Minnesota
Seattle sends Earl Watson to Kings
Minnesota sends Ricky Davis to Seatlte
Minnesota sends Kevin Garnett, Troy Hudson to Sacramento

Sacramento outgoing:
Bibby
Corliss
Garcia
Potapenko
Shareef

Sacramento incoming:
Earl Watson
Kevin Garnett
Troy Hudson

Seattle outgoing:
Earl Watson
Rashard Lewis

Seattle incoming:
Ricky Davis
Francisco Garcia
Vitaly Potapenko
Corliss Williamson

Minneosta outgoing:
Kevin Garnett
Ricky Davis
Troy Hudson

Minnesota incoming:
Mike Bibby
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Rashard Lewis

I'm pretty sure this works, although it's tough to tell exactly with the trade checkers still set for the regular season. I think it makes sense for the Kings and Minnesota. Obviously Seattle would take some convincing, but if they are looking to dump salary this is a pretty good deal for them. Ricky Davis is much cheaper than Rashard, they get Cisco, and some draft picks could be thrown in as well.

Bricklayer

I'm not sure if you're aware fo this nbrans, but you just had Seattle trade Rashard Lewis for Cisco, Corliss and Potapenko (who they just got rid of). :eek: :p

Bricklayer said:
I'm not sure if you're aware fo this nbrans, but you just had Seattle trade Rashard Lewis for Cisco, Corliss and Potapenko (who they just got rid of). :eek: :p
lol. And it's not like Ricky Davis sweetens the deal all that much.

It's fun rooting for a franchise to go bankrupt so they cut salary and get rid of all their stars. Come on Seattle! Go red ink!!

Well, to be true, Lewis did say he'll opt-out of his deal in the summer of 07, so Seattle could pull the trigger on a deal knowing he'll be a goner in a year unless they shell out $$$.