American Idol 2009! Rank your favorites!

How I saw it, obviously different from everyone else.
Allison was great all around. She is very polished on stage, no doubt has been working on her presence for years. I thought country could slip her up but she did well, actually the worst part about this was the band. She's a natural for the kind of faux-rock pop that is making millions for Kelly Clarkson, Pink and Avril Lavigne.

Adam is in a world of his own and very polarizing. Well actually perhaps with Dilana from RockStar Supernova who he ripped the arrangement from, his was actually better than hers. Still I'd rather hear it done the way Social Distortion did if someone besides Cash has to do it.

Sidenote - Randy - when you are trying to Dawg up the English language, please refrain from contracting the 'r' from "Current". I'd also suggest you actually listen to Nine Inch Nails before referencing them. Thank you.

Kris, Anoop and Matt were all fine vocally, though none of the songs moved me.

Lil and Alexis did nothing for me. I really don't like Alexis for some reason at all.

Danny was just plain awful, flat and atonal at the beginning and then overpowering to the point of being breathy when he got to the chorus. This would be elimination worthy if it happened 3 weeks from now. I don't get the praise at all, while I don't like him I thought his voice was serviceable if unspectacular in the past. In this case it was not good. Excusing the verse for the powerful chorus is a cop out, you have to sing the whole song and that is part of my problem with him - he just wants to do glory notes and runs.

Megan... well I don't really mind her voice (except for the 5 or so times that it cracked or hit the completely wrong note) or her tattoo which is kind of cool but she needs to get off my screen because she is just painful to watch. Unfortunately she needs to out last my bottom 2.

Scott just boring and brings nothing to the table except a nice background story but out of his league here.

Michael Sarver... this guy is just plain awful. Who is voting for him?

My rankings based on what we've seen so far not just last night:
Superstar Potential
1 Allison
Cut an Album Already
2 Adam
Yeah, he can sing but won't sell any records after the tour
3 Kris
4 Matt
5 Danny
6 Anoop
Not Impressed
7 Lil
8 Alexis
Go Home Already
9 Megan
10 Scott
You suck, why are you even here?
11 (thousand) Michael Sarver

1. Michael - He was boring.

2. Allison - I like Allison alot, and like the song. I thought she was better than judges gave her credit.

3. Kris - Forgettable.

4. Lil - I thought she was a little out of her comfort level, but she sang the song very, very well. Her singing is flawless and she takes risk and does it well. Simon was way over critical of her.

5. Adam - Adam is polarizing. But last night he was brillant!!!:D I love his high register. It is smooth, not piercing. VERY ENTERTAINING!!!

6. Scott - It is time to go. Blind or not, he is not entertaining at all. And I agree with Simon, this weeks country song was not much different than last week's MJ song.

7. Alexis - I am not as keen on Alexis as most. She was decent last night.

8. Danny - This guy continues to impress. I do not agree with Simon and Kara. You have to build a story before you belt out a song. Kind of like Whitney's "And I Will Always Love You".

9. Anoop - "Anoop Dawg" showed last night he does belong. He was great.

10. Megan - Megan is also another polarizing contestant. Her quirky movement is brutal, but her singing is growing on me big time. She was good, not great, but she is becoming comfortable in her skin. And on top of that SHE WAS CLEARLY SICK!!!

11. Matt - Dude is very talented!! He is by far the best musician they have had on this show in the two years of music playing; He is a brilliant pianist. As soon as he gets up from the piano and rocks a little Justin Timberlake, he clearly becomes one of the favorites. He was outstanding.

Top Three (last night performances)
1: Adam
2: Danny
3: Matt

BOTTOM THREE
1. Michael
2: Scott
3: Kris

Anoop Dogg #1; my favorite performance of the night. Picked a song that fit his voice, that he could perform well, and he got on top of all the high notes. That's what I was hoping to see from him all along.

#2 Danny, #3 Megan, and #4 Allison were all second best this time around. Danny showed what he can do with his voice, but he'll need to show some diversity going forward. Megan toughed it out, and pulled it off, if you ask me. I wish someone would help her kick that ridiculous and extremely distracting hip shimmy to the curb, but her performance was sound. Allison was good also, but she wasn't great.

#5 Adam; I don't like Adam, and I couldn't enjoy his performance. That said, his voice is so uniquely terrific and his abilities so off the charts, that you can't help but be impressed. I just wish he would tone down the theatrics and just sing. It's funny, we get on Danny and Scott about showing some talent range, but everything Adam is does is the same; all that's different is that it's Adam. I hope he doesn't win, but he's the most talented of the bunch.

#6 Lil, #7 Matt, #8 Alexis; none of them were outstanding vocally, but they all were good. I'd bump Matt up a couple notches, but his voice sounded shrill and fatigued. He may have sounded better if he wasn't sitting at the piano, but he was. Lil was out of place, and this might be why she doesn't make it into the finals. One dimensional, and too much like other well known artists. Alexis was exactly what Simon said she would be: forgettable. Terrible song choice.

#9 Kris; just didn't do it for me. I think he'll be on the block tonight.

#10 Scott; not good enough. To steal a line from Kara: He doesn't have the chops to sing at this level.

#11 Michael; I like Mike, but he's not the next American Idol. That's painfully clear at this point. I think Scott gets the pity vote, and Michael goes home.

Ryan

I like turtles
Adam needs to tone it way down on his satanic performances. It's too bad because he has a great voice.

I hate to say it, but I think this is the weakest year for talent.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If Alexis goes home before rough neck I am sending a giant e-middle finger to all of America.

How Alexis is bottom three before Megan is crazy.

I don't really have a problem other than Michael Sarver still being on the show. Would have preferred Megan or Scott to Allison in the bottom 3.

What is with the group sings? They are awful this year and horribly lip synced. Its embarassing. They may as well just ditch them. Also I thought we were going to get 30 min boot shows instead we get almost an hour of junk and then the show still goes over so we have to set our DVRs to go 5 minutes past. Not something I am keen to do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hrm. While I don't think Alexis would have won, I really liked her and I certainly think she deserved to go on tour, especially when it came down to between her and Michael.

After listening to Alexis sing last night, she was pitchy and not as good as I thought when I first heard her sing the night before. However, Michael should have been sent home.

After listening to Alexis sing last night, she was pitchy and not as good as I thought when I first heard her sing the night before. However, Michael should have been sent home.
Yeah, I think she was worse in the sing-off than the night before. Too bad, because I think they considered saving her. She's a little screamy and was last week, too. I think she was trying too hard or something. I still think Michael should have been the one to go home.

I love Adam's talent, but that song arrangement did not sit well with me. Not that I would expect him to try and be Cash, but middle eastern/Indian? BTW, I'd like him to tone it down a bit, too, although when I think of big rock stars, many tend to be very theatrical.

I thought Anoop was great. He really does have a good singing voice.

I also liked Matt, Danny and Allison. BTW, I don't think Danny's song choice was driven by his wife's death, I think it was driven by his strong Christian beliefs. This is a church singer.

Lil was just out of her comfort zone. She'd better get the hang of singing out of that zone.

I just can't like Scot, the singer. Great pianist, weak vocals.

Kris is cute, but very bland to me. The anti-Adam.

I actually kind of like Megan's quirkiness. And I think she has a pretty good voice. Different.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I suspect we'll see a totally different Adam next week. Being in the bottom three really shook him, I think...

I also think Allison's fans got a wake-up call when she was put on the chopping block.

As far as Alexis being pitchy goes, I think the "sing for your fate" concept puts so much pressure on people that they're almost bound to go off key on occasion, especially with a song they were trying to stylize. I'd like to see them be allowed to sing anything they've sung before to try and sway the judges should it come down to that point.

Adam was not in the bottom 3 and will definitely be saved if he gets cut before the top 5.

If you mean Michael on the other hand I agree he will be better next week since he'll be doing Motown and not country which is WHAT GOT HIM THROUGH TO THE VOTING ROUNDS. Which is annoying because that means he is going to stick around for a while longer and he bugged me the most with his back talk on Tuesday.

Allison may just continue to be in trouble because she hasn't shown much personality off stage and as great as she is while performing the road to being the Idol is littered with great performers who lost the popularity contest. She's the first young contestant that "She's only 16" really applies to as an "oh wow" kind of statement but she can't capture the princess vote because she is the rocker girl who looks to be in her mid 20s and sounds like she smokes a pack a day.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, I meant Adam. I was referring to the close call when it was either he or Alexis going to the bottom three...

I'm old. I forget things easily.

:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21 Top 10

1. Danny Gokey
2. Matt Giraud
3. Lil Rounds
4. Allison Iraheta
5. Adam Lambert
6. Anoop Desai
7. Kris Allen
8. Megan Joy
9. Scott MacIntyre
10. Michael Sarver

Note: My bottom four are pretty solid in their slots. The top 3 could be interchanged and the second three might move up if one of the top three falter. For me, however, there is a significant dropoff between Anoop at #6 and the remaining four.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
SLAB Top 10!

1: Danny Gokey
2: Allison Iraheta
3: Matt Giraurd
4: Anoop Dawg
5: Lil Rounds
6: Scott MacIntyre
7: Kris Allen
8: Micheal Sarver
9: Adam Lambert
10: Megan Joy

This season has not roped me in. Other than Danny and Allison (as well as the ridiculously early cut Alexis) I think the bunch is totally underwhelming.
Add in the fact that Screech (Adam) is gonna end up top 3/4 is just blah.

Hasen't been a good run for me this year...

Bring on So You Think You Can Dance!

Purple Reign's Top 10
1. Danny Gokey
2. Lil Rounds
3. Matt Giraud
4. Adam Lambert
5. Allison Iraheta
6. Megan Joy
7. Anoop Desai
8. Kris Allen
9. Michael Saver
10. Scott MacIntyre

Kingsgirl4's top ten

1. Danny Gokey
2. Lil Rounds
3. Matt Giraud
4. Allison Iraheta
5. Adam Lambert
6. Anoop Desai
7. Kris Allen
8. Megan Joy
9. Michael Sarver
10. Scott MacIntyre

Kennadog's most enjoyed performances last week.

1. Danny Gokey
2. Anoop Desai
3. Lil Rounds
4. Matt Giraud
5. Allison Iraheta
6. Adam Lambert
7. Kris Allen
8. Megan Joy
9. Scott MacIntyre
10. Michael Sarver

KingsFans.com American Idol Power Ranking - Week #2

1. Danny Gokey - 60 pts (6 First Place Votes)
2. Matt Giraud - 48 (up from 6)
3. Lil Rounds - 47
4. Allison Iraheta - 41
5. Adam Lambert - 35
6. Anoop Desai - 34
7. Kris Allen - 24
8. Megan Joy - 18
9. Scott MacIntyre - 13
10. Michael Sarver - 10

NOTES:
Once again Adam Lambert seems to be the most polarizing contestant in the competition. He gets a second place from Arby's and a ninth place from Slab.:D

In my memory in doing this poll (this is our third season), Danny Gokey is the first unanimous choice, and deservingly so.

Matt Giraud makes the biggest jump up to #2 from #6

Kris Allen from #11 last place to #7

Last edited:
1. Danny Gokey - 60 pts (6 First Place Votes)
2. Matt Giraud - 48 (up from 6)
3. Lil Rounds - 47
4. Allison Iraheta - 41
5. Adam Lambert - 35
6. Anoop Desai - 34
7. Kris Allen - 24
8. Megan Joy - 18
9. Scott MacIntyre - 13
10. Michael Sarver - 10
REVISED Kingsfans.com American Idol Power Ranking - Week #2:D
1. Danny Gokey - 66 pts (6 First Place Votes)
2. Matt Giraud - 55
t3. Lil Rounds - 51
t3. Allison Iraheta - 51
5. Adam Lambert - 44
6. Anoop Desai - 39
7. Kris Allen - 32
8. Megan Joy - 21
9. Scott MacIntyre - 15
10. Michael Sarver - 11

Notes
1. Due to pdxKingsFan putting in a ranking BEFORE the elimination, and me not seeing that (if you can please wait until after elimination), here is a second edition of Week #2 rankings.

2. The only changes from the previous ranking is now Lil rounds has fallen into a 3rd place tie with Allison Iraheta.

3. For some reason pdxKingsFan seems to be the hold out in getting on the Danny Gokey bandwagon. I have a feeling after tonight's Motown, pdxKingsFan will be converted and see the light HALLELUJAH!!!!:D

Last edited:
Never happen PR, I probably feel as strongly about Danny as SLAB does about Adam, but I'm trying my damnedest to give him a fair shot and assess his talent and marketability in regards to the others. I honestly think if he were to win he'd underperform Taylor Hicks in sales and I've critiqued what I consider the weaknesses in his voice on several occasions. At some point the judges will come down on him for the same things, they always do eventually.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Pretty entertaining show tonight...Here's my assessments:

1. Matt - Let's Get It On - Not professional or polished, but Matt continues to improve every single week. 7

2. Kris - How Sweet It Is - I think this might have been his best performance so far. The vibrato in his voice actually added an element that made it more interesting. 7

3. Scott - You Can't Hurry Love - Doing a Diana Ross song is risky. He took the risk and I just don't think it worked. The best part of his performance was the piano playing. 5

4. Megan - For Once In My Life - Talk about smarmy lounge singer. This was, I hope, her final performance. That was pathetic and painful and hard on the eyes and ears. And did I mention just cheesy and bad? 3

5. Anoop - Oh, Baby, Baby - An incredibly tough song to sing, he pulled it off. Falsetto notes are tricky; he hit them and held them and earned himself a really good mark from me tonight. Once again, I think the judges were off on some of their comments. This kid keeps getting better and he's got courage and passion. 8

6. Michael - Ain't Too Proud to Beg - He's gonna have to beg for votes because he's just not anywhere close to the level of some of the others. 4

7. Lil Rounds - Heat Wave - I was expecting her to totally knock this out of the park, across the highway and into orbit. And, to be totally honest, I was disappointed. It was adequate but it just didn't have the "wow" factor I was hoping for. 7

8. Adam - Tracks of My Tears - This is one of my favorite Motown songs and I think Adam honored the original song and made it his own at the same time. Incredible performance. And this side of Adam knocked my socks off. 10

9. Danny - Get Ready - I would have liked it better if he had listened to Smokey. But it was upbeat, it was fun and he's still one of my favorites. They definitely saved the best performances for the end of the evening. 9

10. Allison - Poppa Was a Rolling Stone - There weren't very many songs a 16-year-old would have been able to pick and sell. Allison made a really good choice, switched it up just enough to put her own mark on it and sold it completely. 10

I love Motown. These were songs of my youth.

Adam absolutely blew me away. Period. It was impressive for him to get the only standing ovation from Smokey Robinson. Just wow.

Allison would probably be next for me.

Danny and Anoop. Danny's the better performer and I like him. I'll have to think on it. Anoop really does have a beautiful voice, but he needs to up the performance/confidence side of things.

Kris slightly edges out Lil for me last night. :eek: I was just disappointed in what should have been a big night for Lil. Heat wave was one of my favs as a young teen.

I don't know where I will rank Matt yet.

Michael, Scott and Megan....who cares. I actually like Megan's different voice, but last night was awful. Michael and Scott are just bland. Scott just strikes me as more of a musician than a singer.

Loved: Adam (on another level really, finally showcased his ability to sing "normal"... looked damn good too, last week he was channelling 68 comeback special elvis, this week it was the King when he was still a Prince), Allison (not as good as the judges said but still 2nd of the night), Kris (clean voice, good looking = very marketable if they keep wifey off the screen)

Good but forgettable: Anoop, Matt (going first did him no favors)

Meh: Lil (I don't think she is capable of taking it down a notch, she's like Spinal Tap on 11), Danny (tone wise he was ok, but everything about him that I hate was on display tonight from his faux-humility in ignoring Smokey, poor phrasing "get reh-e-tay" uggh, and he's becoming more Taylor Hicks like by the moment on stage. And just as I predicted the judges are already turning)

Go Away: Scott (his worst performance yet), Michael (better than past weeks but still not right for this contest), Megan (continues to be horribly awkward on stage and everything about this song was failure, I can't believe Smokey encouraged this performance to be honest)

Going home tonight: Megan - the only thing that might save her and send Scott or Michael home is because then we'd be down to 2 girls with 9 singers. That's almost unfathomable. But I really think Megan's performance was indicative of the fact that she's burning out and knows her style is not a good fit for this contest.

Ranking the performers from top to bottom.

Adam - Since the show began, I haven't cared for Adam and most of the time he was just annoying. However, last night's performance I just have to say one word....WOW.

Allison - OMG and she's only 16 yrs old. How did she get in the bottom 3 last week is anyone's guess. That performance was just awesome. I listened to the song several times and she was very impressive.

Matt - He sang one of my favorite song "Lets get it on" and I thought he did very well. He's been improving every week.

Kris - I, too, thought this was his best performance so far and he does need to have his guitar when he sings.

Danny - Finally, an upbeat song. Although I thought he should have picked a different song, he did a good job.

Anoop - For 2 weeks in a row, I felt he's been improving. I liked the song choice that he sang

Lil - It was just ok for me. I felt she was shouting in some parts. I wasn't that impressed.

Scott - Glad he's back playing the piano, however, I think he's more suite for lounge singers or singing on a cruise.

Megan - I didn't like it at all.

Mike - Aweful.

Going home - Mike or Megan