American Idol 2009! Rank your favorites!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think he'll satay in for a while, though. My guess is he makes it as legitimate recording artist, regardless of whether he wins American Idol or not, due to the exposure he's getting. That's his goal anyway, I'm sure.
Too many really bad to mediocre singers for him to not make it at least past the halfway point.

While it may be premature, what will people's reactions be if the "twist" is indeed what I have predicted? I have to admit that I like it when it it's done on other shows like Rock Star or Nashville Star but I'm not so sure I'd like it to be done on Idol.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think, based on some of the past votes, some kind of "twist" is long overdue. I'm not sure what show it was - I watch way too many of them - but I recall one elimination show where they take the bottom two vote getters and then the judges can save one of them. That still keeps the public intimately involved but helps weed out the "Sanjaya" effect...

Going back to two of my comments fron last night, if I may...

When I said he was too polished and perhaps too "Music Circus," I meant that Adam just has way too much experience and, possibly as a result, sells himself much better than the amateurs. In a situation like this, I suspect it could be a detraction instead of a bonus.

As far as Alexis goes, I think she's a Joan Jett type of talent. Raw right now, and in desperate need of training in showmanship, but her voice is the real deal. It gave me goosebumps and that doesn't happen very often.

Anyway, long story even longer? I'm pretty pleased with the top contestants this year. There are, IMHO, a lot fewer untalented people than usual.

I liked Danny, Lil, Allison and Adam best. Last night, I thought Adam's was the best performance.

I really like Alexis and think her voice is great. I was quite disappointed in her performance last night, though. She just oversang to the point of almost screaming. Her moves looked uncomfortable.

I'm sure some people feel Adam is over the top, but he looks and sounds totally comfortable. He knows who he is and what suits him. I think he needs to show he can dial back a bit, but he's very good.

Allison also has a veteran presence, despite her age. Obviously due to performing live before audiences for a long time. Great voice.
I'm cool on Adam. I'm incredulous at the hype, and while he's good, I don't get the hysteria. The judges gave him way too much love.

I thought Jasmine was the best, vocally, of the night, so I don't understand why everyone is down on her. Yeah, she was flat a couple of times, but so was everyone else, including the great Adam and the great Danny.

Speaking of Danny, I didn't like last night's performance all that much. I'd give it a 6/10. He was just roaring too much, and, unfortunately, he started to sound like Taylor Hicks. Not that there's anything wrong with the way Taylor Hicks sounds, but when's the last time you even thought about him? Not mainstream, not a widespread appeal, and not visually pleasing enough to get by on looks. I like Danny, but I wasn't impressed last night.

I did like Jorge Nunez, and I'm not a Jorge Nunez fan. At all. Again, he was flat on a couple notes, but I thought he did a good job, and I thought the song choice was great. Maybe it's because I like the song, but again, I thought the judges were waaaay off on him.

Megan was good, aside from the incredibly bad dancing and the bird call at the end of the song. I thought she sounded good, but if it weren't Michael Jackson week, she'd probably be in trouble with that performance. So she's probably on the bubble.

Lil Rounds, Alexis and Michael all did enough to get by. Nothing all that fantastic, in my opinion (I liked Alexis' "Dirty Diana", but she oversang on parts).

Allison was probably the best overall performance. I don't like the fact that she always sounds like she's at the top of her range, but her power and control are impressive, and she put them both on display last night.

Anoop, Scott and Kris were probably the worst of the night. Anoop didn't do anything impressive vocally, Scott is showing that he's not a singer, and Kris kind of got overpowered by the song. There were some notes that eluded him, and I didn't think his song choice lent itself well to any acoustic accompaniment.

Matt might not make the cut, but I think he was better than the three I just mentioned. It sucks for him that he was on stage right after Adam (and the ensuing Hype Fest).

This whole top 13 sucks.. I got so bored with it last night that I stopped watching. The only interesting one is that 16 year old that looks and sounds like someone in their 20s that has smoked 2 packs a day lol.

But all the other ones are pretty boring people who don't really do anything with the songs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like the one save concept. And I was very glad they didn't burn it tonight by saving either Jasmine or Jorge. I think America pretty much got it right - at least for this week.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't like the one save, I actually heard about that after my post yesterday because that's what they do in France. I think it has more potential to be harmful than good because the double eliminations are always brutal. Also its funny to note that at least half of the "surprise boot" contestants they specifically took the time to highlight would have been ineligible to be saved since they were eliminated after the cut to 5.

I have no problems with who was eliminated, though Scott or Michael would have been marginally preferable to Jorge this week. I'm actually a little surprised at Jasmine though I think she had no business being there - I was hearing about lots of people with young daughters that loved her and that's usually a reliable voting block, and there's no way that Allison can fill the "princess" role no matter how young she is.

I think some of the changes to the format are mainly to try and freshen the show a little. It may also be an attempt to blunt the "vote for the worst" contingent. I guess I won't know if like it or not, until I see who they save, LOL.

I really liked Jorge and was sorry to see him go. Jasmine should have given herself a couple more years to gain polish and improve her voice control. I don't think its wrong that either got eliminated, becasue I didn't expect either to win anyway. Could have been Scott or Kris, instead to me. They both seem weak vocalists to me, so far. Kris may go awhile just because he's "adorable," as Paula said.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't like the one save, I actually heard about that after my post yesterday because that's what they do in France. I think it has more potential to be harmful than good because the double eliminations are always brutal. Also its funny to note that at least half of the "surprise boot" contestants they specifically took the time to highlight would have been ineligible to be saved since they were eliminated after the cut to 5.
I don't think there will be a double elimination in the rest of the vote offs. If I understood correctly, it's back to business as usual except that the judges will have one save card to use, should they so choose, if they want to save one person for one week. And that's it. Once the save has been used, it's gone...

After hearing the explanation, I think it's pretty clear they want to avoid sending someone like Michael Johns or Chris Daughtry or Jennifer Hudson home early on. And I think it's a good deterrent to the Vote for the Worst influence of the early rounds.

At least it's something...

Actually my understanding was, if they save someone one week, the next week will have a double elimination. It would bring them back down to the same number they would have had without the save.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
After hearing the explanation, I think it's pretty clear they want to avoid sending someone like Michael Johns or Chris Daughtry or Jennifer Hudson home early on. And I think it's a good deterrent to the Vote for the Worst influence of the early rounds.
The funny thing is that they hated J-Hud back when she was on and wouldn't have saved her and Daughtry would have been ineligible (Final 4 as was Tamyra). I also suspect they wouldn't have saved Johns because they were trying to shove Carly down our throats and she was on the bubble every week.

Kings Fans Power Ranking - Week 1

Join in everybody:D

PURPLE REIGN'S TOP 11
1. Danny Gokey
2. Lil Rounds
3. Allison Iraheta
4. Adam Lambert
5. Alexis Grace
6. Matt Giraud
7. Megan Joy
8. Anoop Desai
9. Scott MacIntyre
10. Michael Sarver
11. Kris Allen

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21 Top 11
1. Alexis Grace
2. Danny Gokey
3. Lil Rounds
4. Adam Lambert
5. Allison Iraheta
6. Matt Giraud
7. Anoop Desai
8. Michael Sarver
9. Scott MacIntyre
10. Megan Joy
11. Kris Allen

Bradymeister's Top 11

1. Lil Rounds
2. Danny Gokey
3. Alexis Grace
4. Allison Iraheta
5. Adam Lambert
6. Matt Giraud
7. Megan Joy
8. Anoop Desai
9. Scott MacIntrye
10. Kris Allen
11. Michael Sarver

SLAB

Hall of Famer
SLAB's Top 11
1: Danny Gokey
2: Alexis Grace
3: Allison Iraheta
4: Lil Rounds --- Top Talent, Not a fan of her style however.
5: Matt Giraud
6: Anoop Desai
7: Micheal Sarver
8: Kris Allen
9: Scot MacIntyre
10: Adam Lambert --- How he's loved is beyond me. Shrieky and over the top garbage, IMO.
11: Megan Joy --- How she is here is beyond me. She is attractive, but her voice is so bad!

KingsFans.com American Idol Power Ranking - Week #1

1. Danny Gokey - 53 pts (3 First Place Votes)
2. Alexis Grace - 47 (1)
3. Lil Rounds - 46 (1)
4. Allison Iraheta - 39
5. Adam Lambert - 34
6. Matt Giraud - 32
7. Anoop Desai - 21
8. Michael Sarver - 16
9. Scott McIntyre - 15
10. Megan Joy - 14
11. Kris Allen - 13

NOTES:
Adam Lambert would have been higher, if SLAB would have placed him higher.:D

It is clear according to US that it is a three singer race between Danny, Lil and Allison. In my opinion those three will go down to the wire.

Scott M. is much lower than i thought. Even though I don't like him much, I thought he would get more sympathy votes. But it is clear that we know talent here at Kingsfans.com

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Danny Gokey - 53 pts (3 First Place Votes)
2. Alexis Grace - 47 (1)
3. Lil Rounds - 46 (1)
4. Allison Iraheta - 39
5. Adam Lambert - 34
6. Matt Giraud - 32
7. Anoop Desai - 21
8. Michael Sarver - 16
9. Scott McIntyre - 15
10. Megan Joy - 14
11. Kris Allen - 13

NOTES:
Adam Lambert would have been higher, if SLAB would have placed him higher.:D

It is clear according to US that it is a three singer race between Danny, Lil and Allison. In my opinion those three will go down to the wire.

Scott M. is much lower than i thought. Even though I don't like him much, I thought he would get more sympathy votes. But it is clear that we know talent here at Kingsfans.com
Um, it's clear that Danny, Lil and Allison are the three singer race? Okay...but that's not what your standings indicate. :p

I'm honestly extremely surprised Lambert isn't in the top three in this...the guy can belt...He has one helluva voice. He is kinda freaky thoe...if you've seen those pictures on the internet you know what im talking about, haha.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm honestly extremely surprised Lambert isn't in the top three in this...the guy can belt...He has one helluva voice.
He's also a little too polished, I suspect. Some AI fans do not appreciate people who clearly have already had some success being eligible to compete. And I confess to having mixed feelings about it. People like Danny, Lil and Alexis haven't had the training or experience. What we see each week with them is truly an indication of the American dream, IMHO.

He's also a little too polished, I suspect. Some AI fans do not appreciate people who clearly have already had some success being eligible to compete. And I confess to having mixed feelings about it. People like Danny, Lil and Alexis haven't had the training or experience. What we see each week with them is truly an indication of the American dream, IMHO.
Yeah i agree. Lambert has been in professional musicals and such for several years and is fairly popular in that scene already. There are tons of vids out their of him singing and even thoe some of them are a little freaky, cause of the costumes he wears, he's great in just about all of them. Gokey is my fav because he just seems like a normal guy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
wth:confused:? ya don't do that to CASH...:eek:
I couldn't possibly disagree more. It's not about mirroring a song. It's about taking a song and making it yours. I think he showed originality, creativity and courage...and I was totally reminded of some of the stuff psychedelic bands did back in the day. Had he attempted to sing it ala Johnny Cash, no one would have bought it. He did it his way and I'm glad I have it on DVR.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Michael - Not as good as I thought it would be. 6

2. Allison - Again, wow. She's got enough voice for two people. 9

3. Kris - Country ballads are his forte but he really belongs on Nashville Star and not American Idol. 8

4. Lil - One of my all-time favorite songs, she managed to give it an entirely new sound but it just didn't look like she was comfortable or having fun. One of those instances where song choice just wasn't right. 7

5. Adam - He's got guts and originality. And he took a country song and totally made it his own. Gotta love the courage and that's what entertainment is really all about. 10

6. Scott - I got bored before he got far enough into the song to get good. I just don't think he has the versatility to make it much further. 6

7. Alexis - I'm more impressed with her every week. She's definitely going to be around for a while. Perfect song selection as it showed her ability to be versatile, which is what hopefuls like Scott lack. I don't care what the judges said. 9

8. Danny - He's been one of my favorites since the beginning but while he did a good job on the song I wish he had picked something that didn't remind me yet again that his wife had died. 9

9. Anoop - Excellent song selection. It really showcased his talent. 9

10. Megan - She may have earned herself another week or two with this song. Not perfect and pitchy in places, but she gave it everything she could. 7

11. Matt - This may have been the best week for showcasing his strengths. I liked his performance but it wouldn't have motivated me to find more of his music. 8

Note: The hopefuls are listed in performance order, with my 1-10 points at the end of the review.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I can't say I liked RoF but I agree that its pretty pointless to attempt to do Cash the way Cash did. It just doesn't work and believe me I've seen more people try than most can fathom.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
1. Michael - Just here...Between the mediocre performance and going number 1, he may be on the block.

2. Allison - She continues to be awesome. And her awkward interviews make me laugh!

3. Kris - He just blended in to me. I think he's on the block with Micheal.

4. Lil - Sounded good...Looked totally out of place. I may not be a fan of her style, but she will be around for a while. She has talent.

5. Adam - Awful. Awful. Awful. How you can do that to a Cash song is beyond me. I hate his shrieky/HIGH-pitched over the top theatre stuff... And I hoped he could tone it down when I heard country week. It didnt happen. And I am thoroughly happy a judge (Simon) finally agreed with me.
And disgusted that Randy compared that garbage to Nine Inch Nails.

6. Scott - His 'story' will earn him a few more weeks. Other than that he is another one just here.

7. Alexis - She has been a favorite since day one. I thought it was a good showing despite the lack of 'dirty.' IT could get old if she goes 'dirty' every single week. Thumbs up!

8. Danny - Again, Ill agree with a judge. The first half was just okay before going into the big Danny voice. When he goes big he is awesome, and I forsee him in the final three pretty much without a doubt.

9. Anoop - Ive liked Anoop since day one because he has been a goofy quirky dude, but tonight he was really good. Welcome back to the competition Dawg! :D

10. Megan - Again...I really think she is bad. The only reason I want her to survive another week is so I can see and get a picture with her at the Idol Tour this year (ala my pic with Kristy Lee :p).
Her voice is just bad.

11. Matt - As a dueling piano player I expect more high tempo stuff on his piano! The first half was just okay, then it picked up into a good ending. Good enough to stay safe. Not good enough to win.
I like him thugh, so I hope he picks up!

Top Three!
1: Allison
2: Danny
3: Alexis

The Chopping Block...
1: Micheal Sarver --- To bland.
2: Megan Joy --- I wish I could like her
3: Adam --- Its a dream, but I think he is thuroughly offensive in every way.

I only watched a few sing last night because I kept channel hopping.

Lil - I actually liked it. I didn't understand why the judges didn't like it.

Adam - I hated it. He may be talented, however, for some reason, he just annoys me.

Scott - I, too, got bored with the song choice.

Alexis - I think she is talented, however, I didn't care for the song choice. It just didn't seem to suite her. I agree with the judges, she needed the song to add "dirty".

Danny - I thought he did a pretty good job singing that song. I know he lost his wife just before the season began and I'm sure its still fresh in his mind, however, I hope he can choose a more upbeat song in the coming weeks.

Anoop - He really impressed me. Great song choice.

Since I didn't watch the whole show, I can't pick who will be the bottom 3 but I think the top 3 will be Danny, Lil and Alexis.