American Idol 2009! Rank your favorites!

I likke Kris, and I think he's going to put out some really good music overall. I'm shocked at the result, but I'm not mad about it.

But please, please don't try to convince anyone that Kris has nearly as much range as Adam. That's just silly.
Um, okay I won't try to convince you. They both have great voices. Lambert can scream really high, I'll give him that.

But really, how is this result all that surprising? You guys really though someone as unconventional as Adam Lambert could win the most mainstream of all mainstream music competitions? It just wasn't going to happen.

What do you expect...
This is the same country that voted for George Bush twice. Kris Allen will be popular for a year or two while Adam will make records for years. How does the most talented singer in the history of AI not win? What a joke.
I like How you equate people voteing for Chris the same as the ones that voted for bush. WOW GOOD JOB

Last edited:
Adam has one of the most annoying voices i have heard in a long time. I didnt are for either one but i would rather listen to Kris any day of the week if i had to choose. No one is selling records these days anyway but i think Adam wont last long regardless.

I think Adam was the better singer, but I'm not surprised that Kris won. Kris got the Danny voters, I'm sure. He's also perfect as the appeal-to-the-teeny-bopper cute, safe, mainstream singer. I always figured Adam would appeal to a narrower range of viewers.

They both seem like really nice guys and they are both talented in their ways.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Adam definitely has a smaller niche and I think its amazing that he got as far as he did given certain prejudices working against him. I was really hoping he'd win but totally not surprised and I think Kris is completely worthy - all things considered AI is 2 for 7 until now and I think Kris has a better shot of a decent career than those other 5 except for maybe David Cook.

Adam definitely has a smaller niche and I think its amazing that he got as far as he did given certain prejudices working against him.
Yeah I was thinking about that, too. There are some people who won't vote for a guy like Adam no matter what. I think he's definitely the better singer, but Kris is no slouch, and I think he's going to be able to sell more records than Adam would anyways.

I don't think it's any conspiracy or anything like that; it's just the way the votes came in.

....but Kris is no slouch, and I think he's going to be able to sell more records than Adam would anyways.
It's as much a popularity contest as a vocal contest. I agree that Kris is a fine singer, too. He's certainly a good musician and I'm happy for him and his family. I wouldn't place bets, though, on Kris selling more records.;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So to some of you everything has to have hidden meanings or conspiracies attached?

:rolleyes:

Whatever...

I totally enjoyed the finale and have no problem with Kris being the winner. From what was said, they are both truly likeable young men who now have incredibly bright futures in from of them. For me, that's enough...

And look - I didn't have to disparage either one of them.

Ryan

I like turtles
I predict Adam will be less successful than Daughtry, unless he stumbles on a good manager who can stop him screaming so much.
You can't compare Adam to Daughtry. Daughtry works for country, alternative, adult contemporary, rock and pop. Adam has a much more specific target market. You also have to remember that Daughtry had the best selling album of 2007, so, saying he will be less successful then Daughtry isn't really saying much.

You can't compare Adam to Daughtry. Daughtry works for country, alternative, adult contemporary, rock and pop. Adam has a much more specific target market. You also have to remember that Daughtry had the best selling album of 2007, so, saying he will be less successful then Daughtry isn't really saying much.
Sure you can. I don't understand the point of your post. Think back, when Daughtry was doing his thing the knock on him was not that he had too broad an appeal. no way, it was that he was too hard rock edgy to capture the broad base of votes (and may have been too cocky).

What's not to compare?

I didn't know Daughtry had the biggest selling album, I just remember when he played the Boardwalk in Sac, people were scalping his tickets for $200.

And if Adam has his bar set lower than Daughtry somehow then I'm disappointed in him. His bar should be set at Bowie, not Daughtry.

Anyway I like Adam a lot - I (or a number of others) could have coached him to a landslide victory on AI and I think with a good manager he will have a magnificent career.

Ryan

I like turtles
SThink back, when Daughtry was doing his thing the knock on him was not that he had too broad an appeal. no way, it was that he was too hard rock edgy to capture the broad base of votes (and may have been too cocky).
Daughtry was the polar opposite of Adam. Daughtry was constantly criticized for having no charisma. Adam on the other hand....well, you get my point.

And yes, best selling album of 2007, at leas that's what I've read. Selling 5 million on your first album ain't bad.

Nobody in the history of American Idol had a better vocal range than Adam Lambert. The guy is incredible. This year's other contestants were bar band material. If anybody is going to be a superstar, it's Adam Lambert who is the total package.

nahhh, Adam's gotta limit his screeching, I'm positive thats what made him the runner up. As for Kris, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes Tyler Hicks II.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
His name was TAYLOR Hicks.

As far as what made Adam come in second, I'm inclined to think it was a combination of a lot of things, including the kiss of death by having Simon pretty much proclaim him the winner days before the finale, the fact a lot of Danny's votes undoubtedly went to Kris and the fact that it was pretty clear to the world that Adam was going to have a stellar career regardless of whether or not he won. The underdog factor, always something to be considered, also weighs in Kris' favor.

I'm not selling Kris short, however. He consistently improved, he worked very hard and I think he fits the mold of the stereotypical American Idol in every way.