American Idol 2009! Rank your favorites!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I will refrain commenting on last night's show except to say I hated it.
Thank you. Especially since there are a number of us who actually still enjoy the show and like to share our thoughts about it.

:)

I agree with Purple Reign for the most part, but would also add Felicia into the ones I really liked...

Now, did I hear correctly? Are the judges going to assign the wild card slots? If so, I applaud them as it does away with the Vote for the Worst influence for the most part. And hopefully it will mean we have seen the last of Tatiana...

I'm pretty much on board with Lil and Jorge as tops. I also liked Felicia very much. After those, I would say I did like Ju'not (sp?) and Scott. REst were pretty mediocre.

VF: if Tatiana gets in as a wild card, they'd better fire all the judges on the spot!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The wildcard picks were disgusting.

Von Smith is NOT Top 12 good.
Tatiana is Vote For The Worst cannon fodder.
Ricky Braddy is forgettable in every way.
Jesse Langseth bothers me for some reason.

Other than Anoop and Matt the dueling piano player, I am thoroughly angry with the picks and probably wont watch tomorrow.

Ju'not and Kristen McNamara are two people who are FAR more deserving than some of the four I listed above.
:mad:

And now I just can't wait until So You Think You Can Dance, as this season of Idol has angered me to no end...

I thought Jamar Rogers should have been there. I agree that Ju'not and Kristen McNamara should have also been included. I am really starting to get disgusted about American Idol. I may not be watching for the rest of the season....well at least until Tatiana gets eliminated.

The wildcard picks were disgusting.

Von Smith is NOT Top 12 good.
Tatiana is Vote For The Worst cannon fodder.
Ricky Braddy is forgettable in every way.
Jesse Langseth bothers me for some reason.

Other than Anoop and Matt the dueling piano player, I am thoroughly angry with the picks and probably wont watch tomorrow.

Ju'not and Kristen McNamara are two people who are FAR more deserving than some of the four I listed above.
:mad:

And now I just can't wait until So You Think You Can Dance, as this season of Idol has angered me to no end...

Could it be that he acted like the biggest effin baby after he got cut and before he got picked today. He also thinks hes Justin Timberlake.

Dude, WTH. No Ju'not or Kristen? This is wack. The judges did a horrible job, and should of let 12 people in wild card and not jusst 8 so the judges wont make any mistakes.

Whole point of judges choosing was so audience does not make a mistake, but they surely did.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OMG....I can't believe it. You will know what I am talking about after the show. All I gotta say is S***
That was my first reaction, too... But then I realized despite her presence, all the people I was hoping would get a second chance are in the eight wild card selections...

I don't think any of the wild cards are going to beat out the top contestants anyway so I'm just gonna sit back and watch the fun for now. I don't really think they left anyone out who should be in the top 12...

Tatiana actually has a good voice, but everything else about her just sets my teeth on edge. Horrible choice. I would like to have seen Ju'not in there.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I thought most of the singers tonight sang circles around the top 9. I was a little upset when they put Jasmine through because I knew that meant one of Matt/Anoop was going to be out even though they were the two best of the night, but when they made the announcement so cavalierly about Matt it was a little obvious they were about to throw in a twist. I think Jasmine benefitted from the high ratio of guys to girls in the voting rounds, in a 12 person field she'd be on the outside, but no way they'd have gone 8 guys 4 ladies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
All in all, I think this just might be one of the strongest top baker's dozen I've seen in the whole time the show has been on.

I am soooooo glad Anoop made it and even more glad they didn't fall into the trap of putting Tatiana any further in the competition.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
VF, I agree with you, best baker's dozen ever.
This is the only season I remember them going with a baker's dozen in the finals though. :)

I didn't watch the wild card round last night (DVR tripped out on me), but I can't believe that Ju' Not didn't even get a wild card berth. I don't understand what the logic was in bringing back Tatiana.

What really sucks is that contestants in the first two rounds weren't really good. There were a couple that were top three that wouldn't have been had they performed this week. Week three was the best group, and there were several people that were better than some of the winners from groups one and two.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
There's just no way that Ju'Not gets in over the two judges' favorites last night which is why I suspect Von was picked to round out the wild card - the only way Anoop and Matt weren't going through was if one of them bombed hard. There's really no question in my mind that he deserved in over both guys that got through on Tuesday/Wednesday though.

I'm just going to spoiler all my snark from now on because its gnawing at me.
Scott in particular does not belong in the finals and the constant "Yo Dawg, you just showed the world that blind people can sing!" is grating me. Yo Randy, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles say hello. Speaking of "Hello", Lionel Richie's video is more inspiring than this poor kid.

There's just no way that Ju'Not gets in over the two judges' favorites last night which is why I suspect Von was picked to round out the wild card - the only way Anoop and Matt weren't going through was if one of them bombed hard. There's really no question in my mind that he deserved in over both guys that got through on Tuesday/Wednesday though.

I'm just going to spoiler all my snark from now on because its gnawing at me.
Scott in particular does not belong in the finals and the constant "Yo Dawg, you just showed the world that blind people can sing!" is grating me. Yo Randy, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles say hello. Speaking of "Hello", Lionel Richie's video is more inspiring than this poor kid.
I personally liked Ju'not quite a bit and better than Matt, but I don't think he was clearly better than either Anoop or Matt. There were quite a few that were probably at about the same level, but not all could get through. It is clear why they picked some. Megan isn't particularly my cup of tea, but she is a good singer and is perhaps the most unique of the whole group. Jasmine actually hasn't impressed me much, but she is so obviously a very commercial package.

One thing....I'm am thanking them for not putting Tatiana in the final group. Her blatant and constant attempts to upstage everyone were nauseating. :rolleyes:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I personally liked Ju'not quite a bit and better than Matt, but I don't think he was clearly better than either Anoop or Matt.
I meant clearly better than Scott and Jorge the two that made it through in the voting round.

Last edited:
I gotta admit, I was lukewarm on Scott. I disagree on Jorge, though. I think Jorge is a very good vocalist and at least a notch or two above what Ju'not showed. Would I think that if I heard them sing 10 different songs each? Who knows. They really have to make an impression in a moment and I thought Jorge grabbed the moment better than Ju'not.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Maybe I am not being fair to Jorge. I have a hard time getting past the hair and I'm not sure how he'll get through the theme nights with such a thick accent. I never really took him seriously in the audition rounds, he just seemed like a guy who was so happy to be there and Paula and Kara's ridiculous responses as if they had never met a latin man or heard the spanish language were so over the top it felt like comedy hour. I will re-evaluate next week. I think he could have a market, just not one broad enough to seriously compete on this show, or worse the whole territory of PR could keep him alive well past his expiration date the way a handful of others have been kept on by powerful voting blocks.

Scott.... I've seen and heard enough. If you close your eyes and listen in no way does he belong in the finals.

Maybe I am not being fair to Jorge. I have a hard time getting past the hair and I'm not sure how he'll get through the theme nights with such a thick accent. I never really took him seriously in the audition rounds, he just seemed like a guy who was so happy to be there and Paula and Kara's ridiculous responses as if they had never met a latin man or heard the spanish language were so over the top it felt like comedy hour. I will re-evaluate next week. I think he could have a market, just not one broad enough to seriously compete on this show, or worse the whole territory of PR could keep him alive well past his expiration date the way a handful of others have been kept on by powerful voting blocks.

Scott.... I've seen and heard enough. If you close your eyes and listen in no way does he belong in the finals.
Gotta agree on Scott. Sympathy voting, for sure. But at least he got voted in by the fans, not the judges. He's a fine musician, but he's not a terribly good singer, and certainly not a good showman. I'd love to see him behind his piano, banging out whatever his heart motivates him to, because I love that type of stuff, but I don't believe he belongs on American Idol. Sorry if that's callous, but just because he's blind doesn't mean I have to ignore the fact that's not a good vocalist.

Jorge.... he can sing. I'm not a big fan of his, and I think seeing him during Michael Jackson week is going to be ... comical. I agree that he's a bit gimmicky, but at least he has a good voice. I don't know why the judges think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread (Ricky Martin, Marc Anthony, and a number of other Latin vocalists have come and gone before him). But good on him for putting on a show in this round. He came out and sung his little Spanish heart out, which is what virtually no one in the first two rounds did.

I'm surprised that Von Smith didn't get more love. He's had a huge Internet following for years, and even went on The View after Rosie O'Donnell discovered him. I didn't see last night's performances, but he did a fantastic job on Tuesday. I assume he'll get a deal, though, and with some vocal coaching and good producing, he'll even get on the radio.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My notes on tonight:

1. Lil Rounds - fantastic!

2. Scott - I did not like the song choice at all. To me, he's looking more and more like one of those lounge singers you hear and promptly forget. No pizazz.

3. Danny - I finally realized he bears more than a passing resemblance to Robert Downey, Jr. which might have been why I liked him at first glance. I still like him - a lot.

4. Michael - He's okay but I just don't picture him having enough versatility to make it through to the final rounds.

5. Jasmine - She has the personality but I just don't think her voice will carry her through to the end.

6. Kris - Hrm. I really liked him early on but he's looking like he'd be better suited on Nashville Stars. I don't think he bought himself any new fans tonight.

7. Allison - I really liked her right from the start. She has one of the most powerful voices in the competition, although it's still a bit raw at times. She's gonna be around for a while.

8. Anoop - I like his energy and his personality, both of which light up the stage. He's not gonna win but I think he'll be around for a while.

9. Jorge - He's one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I think his song selection was less than optimal tonight although he did it quite well.

10. Megan - Not even sure why she's there but I'm pretty sure that will soon be rectified. Unless, of course, the testosterone vote keeps her around for a while longer.

11. Adam - There's no way of seeing under the polish and cultivated style, but I really liked him from the beginning. I just don't see him winning, though, because he simply looks too polished and too Music Circus.

12. Matt - Another one that is okay but just not possessed of that special something that will get him to the end.

13. Alexis - And finally, the one I think is going to walk away with all the marbles. I love this girl. She's got the spunk, she's got the talent and she's got the pipes.

I think Megan and Scott will most likely be going home.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I really thought Alexis was a bit over the top, though her vocals were mostly ok her stage movements seemed a bit forced and unnatural, though they may have been straight out of the MJ video. I see her getting eliminated around the top 5 - Lil, Danny, Adam and probably Allison will finish ahead of her.

I don't think Megan is a bad singer but her stage presence is disastrous, just wow bad. And did she really caw like a crow at the end of her song?

I thought Danny was cheesey but since he can actually carry a tune better than most of the others I am just going to have to get used to him. *snark warning*
I still say he sings Tears in Heaven or One Sweet Day at some point in this contest.

It appears like the surprise twist is that the judges are going to have a say on the elimination each week - likely they will boot one from the bottom two or three like they do on other shows of this nature. Maybe they will make them sing for their lives.

I guess I liked Allison and Kris the most but Kris's recent nuptials spell elimination somewhere between 8 and 6, you just killed yourself with the ladies pal.

Jasmine, Anoop, Scott and Michael are probably my bottom 4. Thanks to the twist I have no idea who will go. I'd like it to be Jasmine and Scott, Anoop probably deserves it the most and the judges really were down on him so I suspect he's gone. If I'm right about the twist I think they'll save Jasmine and Scott if they are down at the bottom for at least a week or two.

I liked Danny, Lil, Allison and Adam best. Last night, I thought Adam's was the best performance.

I really like Alexis and think her voice is great. I was quite disappointed in her performance last night, though. She just oversang to the point of almost screaming. Her moves looked uncomfortable.

I'm sure some people feel Adam is over the top, but he looks and sounds totally comfortable. He knows who he is and what suits him. I think he needs to show he can dial back a bit, but he's very good.

Allison also has a veteran presence, despite her age. Obviously due to performing live before audiences for a long time. Great voice.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm sure some people feel Adam is over the top, but he looks and sounds totally comfortable. He knows who he is and what suits him. I think he needs to show he can dial back a bit, but he's very good.
I liken him to Lukas on Rock Star: Supernova. He is a rock star even if he has limited appeal. As a total package he is leaps and bounds above the competition but extremely divisive due to the contents of that package and he probably won't win it all unless the judges choose the winner.

I liken him to Lukas on Rock Star: Supernova. He is a rock star even if he has limited appeal. As a total package he is leaps and bounds above the competition but extremely divisive due to the contents of that package and he probably won't win it all unless the judges choose the winner.
I think he'll satay in for a while, though. My guess is he makes it as legitimate recording artist, regardless of whether he wins American Idol or not, due to the exposure he's getting. That's his goal anyway, I'm sure.