Alright, we got the 8th pick, options...

Indeed, I do tend to look at things from a glass half empty point of view from time to time. However I think Bricklayer said it perfectly in another thread that echoes my sentiment in a less pessimistic way.

He said that other teams are loading up and we aren't, simple as that. Of course a trade has to work from both sides, but other teams are getting trades to work, why not us? How many years in a row now have we simply drafted a player with our first round pick and then the player fails? We can't just go young with one pick anymore, we are capped out and have no assets to trade our way out. If we are going to improve from 28 wins and try to compete with these other tough Western Conference teams who are getting better themselves we have to make moves and drafting Aaron Gordon or Doug McDermott or even Marcus Smart is not going to do it.

We really don't need another kid. Highly risky. Kid fails, its another losing season. At the end of which convincing Gay or any other respectable free agent to stay becomes dicey. After which convinving DeMarcus he wants to stay becomes dicey. Kid works out its all grand. But it would be kind to call that a 50/50 shot, while established players are known entities. We are asset poor. That #8 is our best asset. It has to bear serious fruit if a 28 win team is going to become a 40+win team in the West. As we speak West teams all over are once again loading up. Dallas got Chandler back, the Nuggets Afflalo for free, New Orleans freed Asik. These are all teams we have to leap, and they are trying to get better with targeted vet acquisitions.
the nba draft can be an addictive substance in its possibilities, especially with a draft class as deep as this one appears to be. picking in the lottery, even at the 8th spot, allows front office's to dream up all kinds of "what if" scenarios. what if joel embiid falls to us and becomes the next olajuwan? what if marcus smart or julius randle eventually become all-stars? what if elfrid payton is the second coming of gary payton?

when those kinds of hopes-and-dreams swirl about as the draft approaches, i think it gets easier for GM's to talk themselves out of trading their lotto picks. "potential" is an intoxicating notion. on the other hand, an established veteran is a known quantity. the league knows exactly who aaron afflalo is; he's a very sturdy roleplayer and a worthy component to a team in need of his particular skill set. but there's no upside to be had, whereas the league doesn't know who marcus smart or elfrid payton are going to be just yet. perhaps they will be more than just sturdy roleplayers...

that said, i happen to agree with you. i've been on the "trade the pick" bandwagon since it became clear that ben mclemore was at least a couple of years away from being the kind of consistent "3 and D" roleplayer that the kings need at the SG position. i tend to believe that "upside" is an overrated notion. there's something to be said for knowing what you have; there's something to be said for reliability. personally, i want guys who i know can contribute. i want to see the kings climb up the standings, and it's harder to do that with young players who don't belong to the "sure thing" category like lebron james and kevin durant...

dude12

Hall of Famer
We really don't need another kid. Highly risky. Kid fails, its another losing season. At the end of which convincing Gay or any other respectable free agent to stay becomes dicey. After which convinving DeMarcus he wants to stay becomes dicey. Kid works out its all grand. But it would be kind to call that a 50/50 shot, while established players are known entities. We are asset poor. That #8 is our best asset. It has to bear serious fruit if a 28 win team is going to become a 40+win team in the West. As we speak West teams all over are once again loading up. Dallas got Chandler back, the Nuggets Afflalo for free, New Orleans freed Asik. These are all teams we have to leap, and they are trying to get better with targeted vet acquisitions.
I think the FO has the mentality of wanting win now vets for the right price and it might be part of the philosophy of trading down for multiple assets if they can't land a big fish like Rondo. Use those mid round draft picks to eventually get a vet...sure didn't take a ton to get Afflalo.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
the nba draft can be an addictive substance in its possibilities, especially with a draft class as deep as this one appears to be. picking in the lottery, even at the 8th spot, allows front office's to dream up all kinds of "what if" scenarios. what if joel embiid falls to us and becomes the next olajuwan? what if marcus smart or julius randle eventually become all-stars? what if elfrid payton is the second coming of gary payton?

when those kinds of hopes-and-dreams swirl about as the draft approaches, i think it gets easier for GM's to talk themselves out of trading their lotto picks. "potential" is an intoxicating notion. on the other hand, an established veteran is a known quantity. the league knows exactly who aaron afflalo is; he's a very sturdy roleplayer and a worthy component to a team in need of his particular skill set. but there's no upside to be had, whereas the league doesn't know who marcus smart or elfrid payton are going to be just yet. perhaps they will be more than just sturdy roleplayers...

that said, i happen to agree with you. i've been on the "trade the pick" bandwagon since it became clear that ben mclemore was at least a couple of years away from being the kind of consistent "3 and D" roleplayer that the kings need at the SG position. i tend to believe that "upside" is an overrated notion. there's something to be said for knowing what you have; there's something to be said for reliability. personally, i want guys who i know can contribute. i want to see the kings climb up the standings, and it's harder to do that with young players who don't belong to the "sure thing" category like lebron james and kevin durant...
You have circled the wagons around the problem of drafting freshmen. What if? But it gives us stuff to bicker about, doesn't it? :)

I want the pick traded for a bonefied starting PG who can play defense. My dislike for IT may be irrational or incomprehensible to people who don't want to understand what bugs me but I want him gone. A Big Three that can't win is a misuse of the term. Perhaps also one isn't so big.

TRADE!!!! If it happens to be an inside defensive presence, that's fine, also.

Trade any and all assets for rondo. Then, if we have some cap space, go out and sign complementary players. We are going nowhere fast, and if we don't show signs of improvement staying pat and trying to develop young guys, cousins(eventually) and gay are both gone.

gunks

Hall of Famer
As much as I'd love for Rondo to be on this team, I'm worried he'd bounce after his lone season is up.

Giving up a bunch of prospects for a rent-a-Rondo would hurt.

Didnt an earlier Rondo trade fall though this year because he flat out said he wouldnt Re-Sign here?

What? Smart was being called a top 3 pick last year, some have even questioned his return to college because it may have lost him 5-6 spots this year. There was even talk of him being the #1 pick originally.
Initially yes. But when it came time to declare, he was projected at 5-6. Ben was projected at 3, at the lowest.