Alright, we got the 8th pick, options...

F Cleveland I get it, but now we have to worry about us. There was a bleacher report rumor saying that our pick is on the trading block. Someone in the lottery thread made a list of the top 8 players and I agree with it.

Embiid
Wiggins
Parker
Exum
Randle
Smart
Gordon
Vonleh

Obviously, top four are going to stay put. Bottom four are interchangeable. That means any one of these players

Randle
Smart
Gordon
Vonleh

will drop to the 8th spot. Our front office might even be interested in someone else (Saric, Stauskas, Lavine, Nurkic, McDermott you never kno)

Now the big question is, do you guys think it will be worth it to develop whatever player we do get, or should we just trade our pick and package it with someone else for a shotblocker or good defensive player/shooter? What option do you guys think will be more beneficial to us in the long-run?

Honestly, if it's about development, someone like Gordon will be able to contribute immediately imo. Vonleh would be more of a project pick. Smart is kind of in the middle although his defense would translate immediately.

Obviously, there are other factors that come into play, for example, if Rudy Gay signs and whether we keep IT or not. This will change our core and most likely our draft needs.

Ideas?

Malone LOVED Gordon in the interviews.

Says he's all about defense, and that's exactly the kind of thing that Malone would want to hear.

If Smart is available, i'd say draft him. But I don't see him being there. Gordon is who we'll get, assuming we don't trade the pick (Which is apparently on the table).

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Screw development.

I'd put together packages with any of the #8/Ben/DWill/JT or another role player someone might want if they ask, and get on the phone with Ainge, going after Rondo although I doubt he listens to an offer with those assets, or I'd get on the phone and try to get Asik. I actually might go after both Lin/Asik as their cap hits are roughly 8M each and they both solve weaknesses with our roster. Plug Lin(a NorCal guy) into PG, and we've improved defensively at the point of attack and in ball movement, and plug Asik next to Boogie and our frontline pairing is now playoff caliber.

Have:

Lin
Ben
x---
Asik
Boogie

and I think the chance Rudy re-signs goes up a decent amount, and that's likely a team with a few bench 3&D guys who can and will challenge for a playoff spot.

Maybe a sign and trade for Bledsoe although I'm not sure that can be done on draft night, and I'd consider either Klay Thompson or Harrison Barnes, Barnes if Rudy gives notice he's leaving. But I'd talk to Boston first, then when Ainge laughs off our offer for Rondo, I'd go after Lin/Asik as they fit our needs far more than they fit the needs of most teams. We'd immediately have an answer to two major holes. Yeah you can do better than Lin theoretically, but we don't have much to work with.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Here has been my continuing idea about what to do if this happened (although it would be incredibly nice to know what Rudy Gay has in mind before doing this sort of thing):

1) we have an ongoing issue due to the Casspi/Hickson trade. A conditional first round pick due to Cleveland originally, now Chicago (Cleveland traded them the rights). Because its conditional and its never clear when its going to vest, and because of an NBA rule that you can not trade away two first round picks in consecutive years (made because of an old idiot owner from the 80s who kept on doing it and ruining his team), we basically have been barred from using/trading any of our future first round picks to make big trades happen, because if you trade somebody your 2015 pick, and then this thing vests in 2016, then that's two consecutive picks. So we are stuck waiting it out.

2) so, I think there is a real argument that what you want to do here is to trade this #8 pick to Chicago in exchange for an end to that conditional pick. Basically make the pick vest this year for them. Then from that point on our future picks won't be encumbered any longer. We still couldn't trade our pick next year (because then it would be two years in a row) UNLESS we waited until draft day, made this pick, and then traded it to Chicago. Then we would have made the pick officially, but Chicago still waives the remainder fo the conditions. So then our future picks are all free to be used in trades if we want, including next year's.

3) Anyway, all that is backdrop to why there is a real incentive to trade the pick to the Bulls. Its not only about what we can back from them. Its also about freeing our future picks so we can use them to get more stuff back as well.

4) As for the Bulls themselves, there continue to be rumors of them going another way, of a semi-rebuild, of Thibbs maybe moving on since he seems to be feuding with management and refuses to rebuild. If that stuff comes true, then they have a number of pieces that be interesting/of value to a team trying to start winning now and playing defense:
-- Joakim Noah
-- Taj Gibson
-- Jimmy Butler
-- the #16 pick
-- the #19 pick

Now the first three would all have been sacred cows for Thibs, but management keeps taking away his sacred cows, and if he goes, who knows what is available if they want to rebuild. And the two later picks could be an avenue for us to trade the #8 to them for Player X and #19 (for instance). Thus still getting a later pick, and thus still being allowed to from that point include next year's pick in other trades.

Consider this scenario:
1) Trade #8 and Carl Landry to Bulls
get back #19 and Taj Gibson, and end of future obligation

Bulls get the #8 to try to use as part of a Love package. We get a very useful frontcourt guy, and drop the Landry dead money. Because we get #19, our pick next year is tradeable.

2) then we help IT do a sign and trade, and get back minor goodies in the process

3) then we execute another trade using our pick next year, which is now no longer encumbered, to tag along with somebody like JT for instance

4) we draft #19

5) we sign somebody with our MLE

you can get a lot of change just by starting the ball rolling with #8 to Chicago.

Cousins
Evans
Gibson
Acy
Williams
Gay
McLemore
McCallum
#19 pick
MLE guy
return from Thompson and 2015 pick (or Williams instead of JT, depending on how you feel about the contract)
return from IT sign and trade

Last edited:
I could see something like Asik and #25 for Thompson and #8.

Not sure I want to trade the pick for Rondo, though, unless he's softened his stance against re-signing here, as was rumored in January. I actually expect the Lakers to make a play with him with their pick.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
What complicates the Chicago idea is they are in the Melo sweepstakes. There's been a number of rumors about their interest in him and his in them. PJax striking out with Kerr might increase the chances Melo bolts too.

But in general, I don't see Chicago blowing this thing up until they know they're out of the running for Melo, which likely doesn't happen by draft day. Also rumors of interest in Love, and his in them and he would fit well next to Noah. Chicago has a number of possibilities this July.

I want Gordon or Vonleh. Hopefully one of them is there. I don't want to see this team grab another aging veteran. #8 pick wont get us anything great on the trading block

Bricklayer

What complicates the Chicago idea is they are in the Melo sweepstakes. There's been a number of rumors about their interest in him and his in them. PJax striking out with Kerr might increase the chances Melo bolts too.

But in general, I don't see Chicago blowing this thing up until they know they're out of the running for Melo, which likely doesn't happen by draft day. Also rumors of interest in Love, and his in them and he would fit well next to Noah. Chicago has a number of possibilities this July.
the #8 would actually be very helpful to them in a Love sweepstakes. Melo, well that's FA.

I want Gordon or Vonleh. Hopefully one of them is there. I don't want to see this team grab another aging veteran. #8 pick wont get us anything great on the trading block
Agreed!!! I want Gordon badly... would be stoked on Vonleh too. Need Randle and Smart to go before us for that to happen... seems likely enough too looking at the teams drafting ahead of us. I can see teams like the Celtics or Lakers wanting Randle before Gordon or Vonleh based on scoring ability.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping that as the draft approaches some team gets really high on somebody like McDermott or Saric and one of the projected top 6 or 7 players drops to 8.

I'm hoping that as the draft approaches some team gets really high on somebody like McDermott or Saric and one of the projected top 6 or 7 players drops to 8.
Looking at this draft right now I don't think there's a consensus top 6 or 7 guys. There's a consensus top three but after that I think you have to go to pick 8 to get the next "consensus". There's a consensus top eight guys I think meaning we're guaranteed to get one of em. Whether that's Exum, Smart, Randle, or Vonleh or Gordon like I'm hoping for remains to be seen.

I think everyone is completely underrating Randle. I think he's going to be a really good NBA player. Not a good fit for us, but I'd take him at 8. Won't get there, though.

Malone LOVED Gordon in the interviews.

Says he's all about defense, and that's exactly the kind of thing that Malone would want to hear.

If Smart is available, i'd say draft him. But I don't see him being there. Gordon is who we'll get, assuming we don't trade the pick (Which is apparently on the table).
Sure hope you're right... and I think you might be here! We're the most talented team drafting in the top 8 and I think a guy like Gordon fits our roster better where a guy like Randle fits the others better.

.. and a lot of the paint open. :p
Oh absolutely. I like Randle - Not for this team, but I like him.

I'd like Smart, but I just have a feeling that he's going to LA. Vonleh too, but my gut with him says Boston.

We'll draft Gordon, and i'll be happy with that. He's all about defense, and the last guy like that we passed on named Leonard turned out to be a halfway decent player...

Bricklayer

Oh absolutely. I like Randle - Not for this team, but I like him.

I'd like Smart, but I just have a feeling that he's going to LA. Vonleh too, but my gut with him says Boston.

We'll draft Gordon, and i'll be happy with that. He's all about defense, and the last guy like that we passed on named Leonard turned out to be a halfway decent player...
Leonard however has a position.

Gordon could easily turn out to be Eduardo Najera.

If they fall I pull the trigger on Smart or Vonleh without any hesitation but exploring all trades must be strongly considered. I like the idea of calling up Houston and asking if they want some cap relief and would like to part ways with either Lin or Asik or Chicago's Taj Gibson.

No. but then again he would have snapped Gordon in two and used the legs for toothpicks, so it all balances out. :p

210lb dudes aren't NBA PFs. They might be Matt Barnes.
I think the idea with Gordon is you make him in the mold of Bron/Melo/Kawhi/Shaw Marion type of player, where they start at SF and go small-ball PF at different times in the game. You bank on his work ethic to develop a jumper and some of the perimeter skills he currently is missing.

He's also only 19 years old, so it's not unreasonable at all to think he can add size and might still grow a little bit.

I think the idea with Gordon is you make him in the mold of Bron/Melo/Kawhi/Shaw Marion type of player, where they start at SF and go small-ball PF at different times in the game. You bank on his work ethic to develop a jumper and some of the perimeter skills he currently is missing.

He's also only 19 years old, so it's not unreasonable at all to think he can add size and might still grow a little bit.
Prospect 1: 6'8.75", wingspan - 7'3.25", standing reach - 8'10", vertical - 35.5", 17.9 ppg, 12 rebounds, 1 blocked shot
Prospect 2: 6'8.75", wingspan - 6'11.25", standing reach - 8'9", vertical - 39", 12 ppg, 8 rebounds, 1 blocked shot

We already had one of these two on the team, and now he's playing for his third team in two years. I'll give you a hint, it's the one with better stats and measurements in everything except vertical. Gordon is not the answer to what the Kings are looking for.