Allen Iverson anyone?

LOL, iverson. he's getting up there in age. the way he plays his body won't hold up. NO THANKS. i'm sure we could get better players or draft picks for the guys you offered for AI.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KMart23 said:
LOL, iverson. he's getting up there in age. the way he plays his body won't hold up. NO THANKS. i'm sure we could get better players or draft picks for the guys you offered for AI.
Well...better players = tough. A.I. is a first ballot HOFer. But better fits? Oh yeah.

Bricklayer

I think age is going to catch up to him as it does with everyone, but people have been predicting for years that his game would fall off early because of his size and here he is at 31 or whatever maybe better than ever.

In any case, even if he stayed exactly the same player he is today for the next few years, still think its an unlikely fit.

W

West_Gunslinger16

LOL! AI2 can't get any better because of AI(ballhog). I saw an article that AI2 can have the same of Wade's greatness and skills if he wasn't picked up by Phila in the drafting.

Bricklayer said:
I think age is going to catch up to him as it does with everyone, but people have been predicting for years that his game would fall off early because of his size and here he is at 31 or whatever maybe better than ever.

In any case, even if he stayed exactly the same player he is today for the next few years, still think its an unlikely fit.

You aren't serious are you? AI has to be the most overrated player EVER to play the game. Seriously... The amount of shots he has to take to be effective is just insane. If you limited the guy to 15 shots a game you would have an undersized, defensive liability guy that averages 16 points on 15 shots =/. He is only scoring because he takes too many shots. You allow any average player to take 30 shots a game and they will have a 30ppg average.

Plus AI makes players around him WORSE! He plays the game for himself, and it is obvious. There is a reason why he takes all the shots, and the players around him don't like him.

Last edited:
Gary said:
You aren't serious are you? AI has to be the most overrated player EVER to play the game. Seriously... The amount of shots he has to take to be effective is just insane. If you limited the guy to 15 shots a game you would have an undersized, defensive liability guy that averages 16 points on 15 shots =/. He is only scoring because he takes too many shots. You allow any average player to take 30 shots a game and they will have a 30ppg average.

Plus AI makes players around him WORSE! He plays the game for himself, and it is obvious. There is a reason why he takes all the shots, and the players around him don't like him.
Um, are YOU serious? He took a team of nobodies to the NBA Finals. He is shooting a higher percentage than Mike Bibby, meanwhile he's also getting to the line 11 times a game.

Come on now...

P

playmaker0017

nbrans said:
Um, are YOU serious? He took a team of nobodies to the NBA Finals. He is shooting a higher percentage than Mike Bibby, meanwhile he's also getting to the line 11 times a game.

Come on now...
I agree - he's overrated as a guy you want on your team. But, he's definitely not overrated as a player.

He may shoot a terrible percentage and be a hog ... but he changes the face of the game. He changes the way teams play against him probably as much as Shaq, and that's saying something.

He is getting old and in his age he's playing smarter. If he had control and less selfishness in his youth, he could have been mentioned as one of the best ever.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Allen Iverson may arguably be the best individual player ever to play basketball. Unfortunately for him, basketball is a TEAM sport.

M

MrBiggs

If AI ever decided that he would be satisfied with scoring only about 20-24 pts a game, he would be a "NBA Finals MVP-type" of player. With that you would see better shot selection, steadier game, and less mistakes. Unfortunately, he chases the scoring title every year and ignores the talent he has on the team.

He'll never be humble enough to win a championship. Even Jesus Monroe toned his game down to fit Clyde Frazier and brought the Knicks a championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
nbrans said:

Come on now...
NBA finals in the eastern conference. He wouldn't have gotten out of the first round in the west. Also, if Theo Ratliff, Dikembie Mutombo and Tyrone Hill are nobodies than you are right on the nose with that one. AI is not a team player, and will not make anyone around him better. He is in it for himself, and is a ball hog. Who cares about field goal percentage? The year "he" took them to the finals he shot 42%, and 32% from 3pt. 31pts, on 25 shots per game.. WOW!! Impressive :rolleyes:

Bricklayer

Gary said:
NBA finals in the eastern conference. He wouldn't have gotten out of the first round in the west. Also, if Theo Ratliff, Dikembie Mutombo and Tyrone Hill are nobodies than you are right on the nose with that one. AI is not a team player, and will not make anyone around him better. He is in it for himself, and is a ball hog. Who cares about field goal percentage? The year "he" took them to the finals he shot 42%, and 32% from 3pt. 31pts, on 25 shots per game.. WOW!! Impressive :rolleyes:
If you can't see/feel the impact he has on a game...well, I'm sorry. The coaches know, including that idiot Larry Brown who coached him that year. The HOF voters will certainly know -- he's instantly in once his name pops up. For most the debate isn't about the enormous talent, but rather whether he can work in a team format with many other guys with their own selfish wanna-shoot streaks.

BTW, that team would easily have made it out of the first round in the West, and likely even to the WCF. Best EC team of that long dark stretch there. But there is no doubt it was built with A.I. completely in mind. It DID have nobody else on it, but that was by design. A.I. and then a team full of good defensive roleplayers. A geat team, but not a title team. And I'm not sure A.I.'s game will ever allow a better dquad to put together around him. He's one of the truly great players good enough to singlehandedly assure his team of a near-.500 record. But the curiosity is his game is also such that it virtually assures he'll never be on a 60-game winner.