Allen Iverson anyone?

Marc Stein says the Sixers are exploring deals for Iverson. I'm sure the topic of Allen Iverson is radioactive around these parts, but I for one would be more than pleased to see him in a Kings uniform, particularly when surrounded by the right role players. In the year he took the Sixers to the Finals, he did so with a supporting cast that could #1 for the most part hit open jumpers and #2 played defense.

With that preface, I give you...

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
14.6 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.1 apg in 34.4 minutes
Mike Bibby
6-1 PG from Arizona
20.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.1 minutes
Incoming
Steven Hunter
7-0 C from DePaul
4.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.3 minutes
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
33.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 7.3 apg in 43.3 minutes
Change in team outlook: +2.7 ppg, -4.3 rpg, and -0.9 apg.

Philadelphia Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Steven Hunter
7-0 C from DePaul
4.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.3 minutes
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
33.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 7.3 apg in 43.3 minutes
Incoming
Bonzi Wells
6-5 SG from Ball State
14.6 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.1 apg in 34.4 minutes
Mike Bibby
6-1 PG from Arizona
20.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 5.4 apg in 38.1 minutes
Change in team outlook: -2.7 ppg, +4.3 rpg, and +0.9 apg.

Kings would probably need to throw in a 1st round pick and/or youngsters to get the Sixers to even think about it, but Bibby and Webber would be reuinited, they could see what happens with Bonzi filling the SF spot and they can build for the next few years seeing what happens running their offense through Webber. Not sure they'd go for it, but if they wanted to get rid of Iverson it's not a bad offer.

And now, your Kings:
PG: Iverson, Garcia, Hart, Price
SG: Martin, Garcia
SF: Artest, Garcia, Corliss
PF: SAR/KT, Skinner
C: Miller, Hunter, Skinner

I really think this lineup would flourish. AI would dominate the ball and the others are all perfect complimentary role players. Martin would take the tougher 1/2 defensive assignment and wait for open looks. He and Garcia could also function as point guards and bring the ball up the floor. Artest would pick his spots and pick up the defense. Miller in particularly would be the perfect jump shooter to spread the floor. Wouldn't solve the rebounding problems, but they'd be tough.

You couldn't pay me to take Allen Iverson. 76'ers may be a contender if it wasn't from him. He is Kobe Bryant, but not quite as talented. He's a cancer to the team. It's all about him, he has no idea what teamwork, or sharing the ball is.

1.Sixers are NOT dealing Iverson. I saw that article, said pretty much the Sixers experiment is failing, they've got a lot of good pieces (Webber, AI2, Korver, Dalembert, Hunter) that could be a lot better with players that mesh better, not a guy like Iverson who prevents them from playing to their full potential. Should not shall. Ain't happening.

2.Sixers say no anyway, even if they want to trade Iverson.

3.We do this why? Miller's skills become devalued, as Webber's passing ability has been in Philly. Miller is suddenly a liability, as his offensive skills are diminshed. Martin's growth will be stunted- look at Korver in Philly. He's good, yes, but is exteremely limited in what he can do. Our rookies growth is determined by AI's willingness to integrate them. Our frontcourt remains atrocious. Ron makes it arguable that this team would be a better team than the Sixers of present, but not by much. Translation: we have a shot at the playoffs (over a complete season) but no chance of going deep.

Mike and Chris together again :eek: Peja is not that far from Philadelphia. Hope Maurice Cheek is familiar with princeton.
Averaging 7apg is not bad, well above Mike's. Looks can be deceiving.

DocHolliday said:
It's all about him, he has no idea what teamwork, or sharing the ball is.
Iverson has more assists per game than Bibby. So, I don't know how he has "no idea what sharing the ball is" if he is > than Bibby in apg. Unless you want to say Bibby has "no idea what sharing the ball is."

It's not all about assists. It's about dominating the ball and taking tons of shots (26.1 per game, second only to Kobe's 26.9) Note, LeBron is a distant third at 22.9.

Edit: Ballhog Bibby takes 16.8 shots per game.

SacTownKing4Life said:
Iverson has more assists per game than Bibby. So, I don't know how he has "no idea what sharing the ball is" if he is > than Bibby in apg. Unless you want to say Bibby has "no idea what sharing the ball is."
Allan general give the ball up only if the next shot is makable for his teammates, where Bibby tends to work his passing into the framework of the offence.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You can only have Iverson and be a top team if basically NOBODY else needs the ball. That's not us. Allen and Ron would have a real issue on offense. Brad is suddenly worthless. Kevin, Cisco, Reef...

We've already got too many cooks, and A.I. whether it be game or temperment, or more likely both, insists on being the ONLY cook.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
nbrans said:
AI would dominate the ball and the others are all perfect complimentary role players.
All the others are perfect complimentary role players? Complimentary to whom? Artest isn't gonna be real thrilled about taking a backseat to Iverson.

All you've done, IMHO, is create MORE headaches.

So in answer to your question, "Allen Iverson anyone?," I say...ditto to Yoda. Hell no.

I suspect that AI2 would become Wade2 if this trade went through.

I am sure that AI would kill off any chance of us being a contender while he is on the team.

Good Ron going "bad" would be question of when, not question of if.

GP does this, I am going on strike until GP is fired.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
bozzwell said:
I suspect that AI2 would become Wade2 if this trade went through.

I am sure that AI would kill off any chance of us being a contender while he is on the team.

Good Ron going "bad" would be question of when, not question of if.

GP does this, I am going on strike until GP is fired.
Yep!

Yep!

Yep!

Yep!

Ditto to Yoda and VF21.....HELL NO!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
JonBoy418 said:
I think the Kings should deal Iverson for.....

Kenny Thomas
Corliss Williamson

and

Brian Skinner

:D :D :D

Bwahahahaha!!! While I don't want AI on the Kings, your comment had me falling off the chair....after I sprayed my soda all over my keyboard. :p

Not much love for AI around these parts...

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. I don't really see what Bibby is bringing to the table that AI doesn't bring in spades. Bibby has basically devolved into a one note player -- he's a sometimes good jump shooter who is good in the clutch. AI is that, only he can get to the basket, get to the free throw line, play at least passable defense, and he's clutch. He's a true superstar having the best year of his career.

I wouldn't worry so much about the effect on other players. As we've seen, Kevin Martin is at his best getting points off of other players, not creating on his own. Miller could just spot up for jumpers. KT might be a better fit than SAR because of his jump shooting and rebounding, but SAR could probably adapt.

And here's the thing about Ron. He's not good enough on offense to take as many shots as he's been taking or to dominate the offense. He's better when he's getting his offense by picking his spots. If the ball is out of his hands on offense and his opportunities are limited, that's fine with me. He's a great #2 scoring option, but he's not good enough to be #1.

People act like AI is a cancer, conveniently forgetting that he basically single-handedly has taken his team to the NBA Finals. He's a major difference-maker. If the Sixers are crazy enough to trade him I'd be happy to see the Kings snag him.

BBallGrl15 said:
If it meant Bibby coming to Philly, I'd be all for the trade. I'd probably buy season tickets to the Sixers.
What does that tell you. A person from philly saying they'd buy season tickets if Bibby went to the sixers, and Allen left. And as someone said assists do NOT tell the tale of the tape, sort of speak. Passing the ball even when it's not going to be a shot for your teammate is important as well, to keep the ball moving.

nbrans said:
Not much love for AI around these parts...

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. I don't really see what Bibby is bringing to the table that AI doesn't bring in spades. Bibby has basically devolved into a one note player -- he's a sometimes good jump shooter who is good in the clutch. AI is that, only he can get to the basket, get to the free throw line, play at least passable defense, and he's clutch. He's a true superstar having the best year of his career.

I wouldn't worry so much about the effect on other players. As we've seen, Kevin Martin is at his best getting points off of other players, not creating on his own. Miller could just spot up for jumpers. KT might be a better fit than SAR because of his jump shooting and rebounding, but SAR could probably adapt.

And here's the thing about Ron. He's not good enough on offense to take as many shots as he's been taking or to dominate the offense. He's better when he's getting his offense by picking his spots. If the ball is out of his hands on offense and his opportunities are limited, that's fine with me. He's a great #2 scoring option, but he's not good enough to be #1.

People act like AI is a cancer, conveniently forgetting that he basically single-handedly has taken his team to the NBA Finals. He's a major difference-maker. If the Sixers are crazy enough to trade him I'd be happy to see the Kings snag him.
Agreed!

DocHolliday said:
What does that tell you. A person from philly saying they'd buy season tickets if Bibby went to the sixers, and Allen left. And as someone said assists do NOT tell the tale of the tape, sort of speak. Passing the ball even when it's not going to be a shot for your teammate is important as well, to keep the ball moving.

You would have to know me to know why I said that. I'm a huge, huge Bibby fan. Having him on the Sixers would be like I died and gone to heaven. Bibby IMO is worth season tickets. Although I like AI (I started out as a Sixer fan) if bringing Bibby here meant he had to leave, I'd say do it.

Although the trade will probably never happen for a bunch of reasons. Just the thought of Bibby in a Sixers uniform gets me excited.

We must really pee someone off for this to happen. Much as I'd like to see Bibby and Webber together again this is not how I'd like to see it. I love the Sixers despite AI and I wish they would trade him but not to us. I think they should put him and Kobe together, that would be fun to watch. Every year these rumors circulate so I doubt there's much truth to him going anywhere.

I like AI, but the guy dominates the ball so badly. Look at the pieces he has around him, yet they all play worse than they do on Paper. I don't know if you can truly blame AI for that, but I don't think he's a much better answer than Bibby.

AI has Iggy. Did you see the Rookie / Soph Contest, the guy I guess is in a sophomore slump but he's being under utilized. Same goes with Sammy who seems to have other, deeper problems. Webber is doing his thing, but he doesn't pass neither as much as he used to. Korver doesn't do anything defensively, but offensively he doesn't seem to be that great.

AI is a great player to watch, he's just not a great teammate. More evidence of this was at the Olympics, where he dominated the play on the first real failure of an American Team with pros on it. He shot under 40% from the field and yet was on the court most of the time where guys like Lebron and Wade dominated....the bench. AI might average alot of assists, but I'd rather have a handful of players over him. I'd rather have Kidd, I'd rather have Paul, I'd rather have Wade, Lebron, etc. AI is great on paper, his game just doesn't translate that well to winning titles. Bibby's doesn't seem like it either, but I think we got closer to winning a title than AI did. Yes we lost in the WCF, but we were easily the 2nd best team in the league that year (Kings >> Nets that year).

Last edited:
P

playmaker0017

I hate the way Iverson plays. He's too selfish.

He's a FAR better player than Bibby and when he's on the court he changes the way the opposition has to play.

I think the team would end up with more wins, but we wouldn't be a team for long. I wouldn't do it.

LOL Oh man.. NO way I would want AI on the Kings. He takes too many shots, no defense, thuggish behavior, and does not play well with others.