Aaron Brooks

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Those two players are both 34+ min players in the NBA. Doesn't work...unless one of them gets to play SF again! Woot!

AND Aaron Brooks is yet ANOTHER shot hungry player (REALLY shot hungry player) on this roster. Its insanity. I expect a teamwide brawl to break out by the secoind home game. Make the Malice at the Palace look like nothing.

Positives: he's an NBA level player. He has much needed range. Very quick.
Negatives: he's a chucker, can't play defense, and won't pass anybody else the ball. Too small for him and IT to share the same court, so has to be prue platoon.

This is us adding backcourt "creativity" eh? As in creative ways for our PG to find room to chuck more junk at the rim wihtout passing it? Suppose Jimmer just wasn't unloading the ball fast enough at the rim.
So if you're assessment is correct, he comes of the bench and puts up points. What's the problem with that? Let's say IT gets 30 minutes and Brooks gets the remaining 18 minutes. If you don't play them together or with another small, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

They aren't good fits because they have no future with the team and they can't even play well with the current players. These signings just clog up the roster for the next couple of years with bad players. Instead of having money to sign the Iggy's and Chandler's of the league, we're stuck in this viscious cycle of signing garbage players who's contracts are on the books for longer than we need.
True. However, top free agents don't go to Sacramento, never have. This team has to ride with Cousins and possibly Tyreke. Fill in around them with the best players that will come here or that teams want to trade. If you want superstars to come, you will continue to be pissed, because they aren't coming.

They aren't good fits because they have no future with the team and they can't even play well with the current players. These signings just clog up the roster for the next couple of years with bad players. Instead of having money to sign the Iggy's and Chandler's of the league, we're stuck in this viscious cycle of signing garbage players who's contracts are on the books for longer than we need.
Bad teams don't become bad teams by accident... they sign cheap, risky players and most of the time they don't get lucky. They are just fishing for that next great breakout star instead of paying for a star like good teams do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like this move. It gives us 2 true PGs in Brooks and IT. This means that MT and Reke can play where they belong - at the #2. No more of this playing out of position stuff. Reke is the starting 2 and MT is his back-up. It also means that Jimmer can play the bench until he proves he can play somewhere on the court.
I agree. I think some people are over-reacting (as usual with any trades, acquisitions). We didn't get worse by getting Johnson and Brooks and getting rid of Whiteside IMHO.

Those two players are both 34+ min players in the NBA. Doesn't work...unless one of them gets to play SF again! Woot!

AND Aaron Brooks is yet ANOTHER shot hungry player (REALLY shot hungry player) on this roster. Its insanity. I expect a teamwide brawl to break out by the secoind home game. Make the Malice at the Palace look like nothing.

Positives: he's an NBA level player. He has much needed range. Very quick.
Negatives: he's a chucker, can't play defense, and won't pass anybody else the ball. Too small for him and IT to share the same court, so has to be prue platoon.

This is us adding backcourt "creativity" eh? As in creative ways for our PG to find room to chuck more junk at the rim wihtout passing it? Suppose Jimmer just wasn't unloading the ball fast enough at the rim.
I may not be ready to let IT run the point 34+ minutes a night quite yet. He had a heck of a rookie season, but to give him the ball for 34+ each night may be a bit pre-mature. Plus, what about the other minutes? You have been as sick as anyone of watching players play out of position to fill the PG position. This team needed another PG. One guy - especially a semi-proven sophomore, is going to need some assistance.

This moves will allow Tyreke and MT to be better players because they will be spending much more of their time playing their best position. It will also relegate Jimmer to just a few minutes a game until he can show something consistent. He does not deserve anymore at this point.

Now please GP, do something with the #3.

Last edited:
i rather of signed twill and allowed him to play back up PG
All this talk of TWill... solid player, but am I the only one who felt a little uneasy with his bad reputation? I figure he was not helpful in the locker room, either... just from my impressions... not from deftly reported facts.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Not a good fit for the team??? What team? The one that came in close to last place the last four seasons? Who cares if someone fits into that team, because that team is being shown the door. All I care about is does a player do well with Cousins... nothing else really matters at this point... it's not like they are dropping from playoff contention or something, they are trying to climb out of the basement and the current crew isn't doing it. Not a good fit for the team... you're funny.
By 'our team' I essentially mean the players who have been identified as the future of the franchise, so yes that means Cousins and Tyreke. It's already been discussed ad nauseum, but even the Thomas Robinson supporters (of which I'm one) don't think he's an ideal fit next to Cousins. As for that team being shown the door, look at our roster again. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like Petrie wants that team back. In fact, that's what I'm upset about. I would have actually dismantled that team, not brought most of it back along with some temporary fixes which don't actually fix anything.

I like brooks

Brooks is okay... and like poster above said better than Jimmer at this point in time. Jimmer has lost confidence in himself and that is not who I want to see running this team even in a reserve roll. When he won Most Improved Player he had 5 Assists per game, granted he is a chucker, but who on this team isn't?

Brooks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jimbo

I say let's see how he fits and give him a chance before we burn the barn (PVP).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Brooks shot 40% from distance three seasons ago and is a career 36% shooter but he's hardly a guy that stretches the defense since he always has the ball in his hands rather than spotting up.
One of the major probelms the last few years has been Petrie's apparent inability to distinguish between those two skills. It sunk Jimmer, Salmons, Outlaw, now again we go after more guys who shoot threes....off their own dribble! Its not the smae skilleGeoff. Spotting up is very useful and helps the rest of the team. Chucking off your dribble is a playground skill that helps nobody but yourself.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I may not be ready to let IT run the point 34+ minutes a night quite yet. He had a heck of a rookie season, but to give him the ball for 34+ each night may be a bit pre-mature. Plus, what about the other minutes? You have been as sick as anyone of watching players play out of position to fill the PG position. This team needed another PG. One guy - especially a semi-proven sophomore, is going to need some assistance.

This moves will allow Tyreke and MT to be better players because they will be spending much more of their time playing their best position. It will also relegate Jimmer to just a few minutes a game until he can show something consistent. He does not deserve anymore at this point.

Now please GP, do something with the #3.
My comment was referring to Reke and Thornton at the SG. That does not work. The onyl way it works is to have Reke swing to a different positoon to make room for Thornton when he comes in, because Thornton is strictly a one position player. With Brooks' addition, and with Brooks and IT not being able to play together either due to size, the ONLY way Reke can swing to make room for Thornton's minutes is back up to SF. Which is just an ugh as we saw last year.

Wow, it's like Geoff only has a player list that's 3 or 4 years outdated.

Let's get salmons! He's legit
Let's get Aaron brooks!

That Geoff did this is a little bit unsettling, like he's doing it for white whale reasons rather than basketball.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This is a guy more than ANYONE ELSE I wanted to stay away from, especially given Petrie's man crush on him. I mean, why? Why, why, why?

An undersized, non-defensive, shoot first PG. Does that sound like something we need? Jesus christ. i am very positive about the JJ move but have been steadfast since the first rumor of Petrie wanting Brooks a couple years ago, that I want nothing to do with him. I watched a lot of him with Hou after Kev was traded, and he is just not what this team needs.

Sorry to sound negative to the fanbase, but I do not like this, especially when we already have an undersized PG in IT. IT alone we can cover for. But now our backup is an undersized chucker as well? Would MUCH rather we had just brought back TWill as a backup guard. Much rather.
And the worst part is we can't sign Akognon.

Now, Brooks is a player Geoff has been high on for a long time... and now the Kings have him... seems like Landry or Hayes was also the same situation... how come Geoff can't be high on higher caliber players? To answer my own question, a Kings free agent signing needs the following qualities:
1. Being high on Geoff or the Mafool bros list (which as we know is developed by watching other players burn the Kings, not their overall body of work or lack thereof)
2. At a point in their career where they are disappointed enough or disenchanted enough to just sign anywhere

Brooks's deal reportedly has a player option for the second year, and I think that he'll opt out unless he has a terrible season.

So basically he is a stop-gap solution. I think this is GP's way of saying, "No one wants to come to Sac, no one wants to trade with us, let's just duct tape this PG hole for now and I'll find a more permanent solution next year!"

Brooks's deal reportedly has a player option for the second year, and I think that he'll opt out unless he has a terrible season.

So basically he is a stop-gap solution. I think this is GP's way of saying, "No one wants to come to Sac, no one wants to trade with us, let's just duct tape this PG hole for now and I'll find a more permanent solution next year!"
That's been the motto since Webber was traded.

I really like brooks, but now we have a very, very difficult rotation with our point guards and with our shooting guards.
A trade is coming up weather you like it or not...
I'm curious.

our depth in order of quality of player

Cousins( iso/post up scorer)
Tyreke( iso/ off the dribble scorer)
Thornton( Pure Scorer)
Isaiah (Ball handling scorer with pg qualities)
JT( ROLE PLAYER)
T Rob(iso scorer mentality?)
Jimmer( needs ball in his hand/off the dribble scorer)
Brooks(same a Jimmer)
Hayes(Role Player)

So the only two legit role players we have are JT and Hayes. Everyone else is most effective with the ball in their hand/ likes to come off the dribble to score. Our roleplayers(and Tyreke) are our only decent defenders. This roster is a mess. I guess Johnson is a role player too? I predict an even bigger disaster next year, I just have that feeling.

I don't get the big deal here. He adds ball handling ability, has successfully ran teams before, and has been the PG on decent-good teams. We are adding shooting, ball handling, and a decent passer. The best guards will play and there might be a trade coming up.

Listening to Grant right now, Marc Spears* is telling him off about signing Brooks. Said he's a "looks to shoot first type of PG who doesn't like to pass". Also said he might cause some problems here when he isn't getting the type of shots he's used to. Perfect for this team!

Wow, it's like Geoff only has a player list that's 3 or 4 years outdated.

Let's get salmons! He's legit
Let's get Aaron brooks!

That Geoff did this is a little bit unsettling, like he's doing it for white whale reasons rather than basketball.
Maybe that's true since the Kings probably have 1$ dollar budget for scouting. Heck I would not surprised if Petrie is the only scout on this team.

Entity

Hall of Famer
PG's: IT, Aaron, Jimmer
SG's: Tyreke, Marcus (a little bit of salmons and garcia who both can play SG)

and sometimes tyreke is the pg.

our whole guard rotation is a mess
You are mentioning players that can play sg. Garcia and salmons will not see time there. Jimmer omg jimmer is just a contract waiting to expire at this point.

My comment was referring to Reke and Thornton at the SG. That does not work. The onyl way it works is to have Reke swing to a different positoon to make room for Thornton when he comes in, because Thornton is strictly a one position player. With Brooks' addition, and with Brooks and IT not being able to play together either due to size, the ONLY way Reke can swing to make room for Thornton's minutes is back up to SF. Which is just an ugh as we saw last year.
I agree. Having Reke and MT on the floor together, in any form really, does not work. It really reminds me of the days that Reke and Kmart tried to play together. It was just fugly.

MT needs to play only when Reke is resting (or hurt) and if MT is unable to live with it he needs to be traded.

Looks like Jimmer is gonna get Scrub minutes from now on. I really hope another trade is coming. One that clears up the back court. I mean, we had too many shoot-first guards before and the team signs another one:

IT
Jimmer
Reke
Thornton
Brooks

God damn it Kings, there's only on ball!