A V P : R

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
OK, I am a sucker for the movies Aliens and Predator. I thought the AVP movie was entertaining (even if it wasn't a "good" movie) and really am looking forward to the sequel.

A friend of mine sent me this:

Okay, everyone ready for this. The first 5 minutes of Alien VS Predator 2 movie that comes out Christmas day….I have to go see this..

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avp-requiem/first-5-minutes

I haven't watched the rest of the trailers, but man do I want to see where they take this next.

The one thing I don't like is the fact they keep showing trailers for movies like this during NBA games. I have to keep telling our 4.5-year old son to not watch some of the movie/video game commercials they show because they are too much for little kids. And my little kid likes to watch basketball. :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok,

Alien = great movie

Aliens = great movie

Predator = good movie

every other Alien or Predator sequel = levels of medicority or bad

And AvP = fanboy. :p

P.S.. That said, watching that trailer a)
its high time they got Aliens to populated Earth, even thought the Aliens series itself makes it obvioust they did nothing
; and b)
they killed a kid. Always a good sign for me. If the kid or the dog miraculously gets away, good sign the movie is going to suck and be made for ninnies.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Ok,

Alien = great movie

Aliens = great movie

Predator = good movie

every other Alien or Predator sequel = levels of medicority or bad

And AvP = fanboy. :p
I agree with you except with "Alien" - I thought it was OK (or in this case, "good"). I like the action/story of Aliens more than the horror/suspense of Alien, hence the reason Aliens is better in my book (James Cameron FTW!). :D Especially the extended director's cut - I like that they threw in some more backstory and the auto turrets. And Bill Paxton (Hudson) is good in just about any role I've seen him in, even if it more of a bit part here.

Bishop: I'm afraid I have some bad news.
Hudson: Well that's a switch.

Hudson: Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen! Found 'em.

I know those quotes don't mean mutch to those who haven't seen it, but he's got some of the best lines in the film. ;) I think it's as much the way he delivers them as anything else. Of course, he has others, but I can't post them here.....

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
P.S.. That said, watching that trailer a)
its high time they got Aliens to populated Earth, even thought the Aliens series itself makes it obvioust they did nothing
; and b)
they killed a kid. Always a good sign for me. If the kid or the dog miraculously gets away, good sign the movie is going to suck and be made for ninnies.
Agreed. I was kinda surprised at that (b). Although maybe you should put both of those in spoiler mode....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Especially the extended director's cut -
:eek: !!!

That director's cut was an abomination, like almost all director's cuts. Completely killed all tension and mystery. Showed way WAY too much. Including the turret scene.

Goes right up there with Last of the Mohiccans and Pretty Woman for just egomaniacally trashing your own movie.

Oh BTW, public service here, at least for Last of the Mohiccans you can screw the director (who will not allow anything but the Drector's Cut to be sold domestically) by buying an overseas copy -- the studio owns the overseas rights and you can get a clean theatric version wihtout the hamhanded cheese added on.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
That director's cut was an abomination, like almost all director's cuts. Completely killed all tension and mystery. Showed way WAY too much. Including the turret scene.

Goes right up there with Last of the Mohiccans and Pretty Woman for just egomaniacally trashing your own movie.
Heathen! :eek: Ignorant legalese-spouting weilder of the bat! You probably like pan and scan movies, too, don't you. ;) :p

I actually tend to like the director's cuts because they usually include what the director wanted but the studio cuts out for time or pacing considerations. Obviously some are good and some not, but in general I'd rather see the extra stuff than not.

Especially when the extra stuff includes robot sentry guns blowing up acid-for-blood alien creatures in a massacre. ;)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
OK, I went and saw this tonight. I was very disappointed.

1) I thought the
Alien/Predator hybrid creature
was a good angle, and obvious from both previous Alien movies (especially Alien 3) and the ending to AVP.

However, my movie tastes run to "sci-fi/action", not "sci-fi gruesome horror", which this film delves into way too much for my taste (as well as the other 3 with me that saw the film).

2) I didn't think they really needed to
go after children, pregnant ladies, and the baby ward in the hospital
. Really, with about 10-15 minutes of selective editing, this movie would have been SO much better. The first AVP didn't go into this - it didn't need to, and neither did this one.

3) OK, so when did Aliens develop the capability to
grow little Aliens inside them and force-feed them to pregnant women in a hospital bed to come out a few minutes later
? Isn't that kinda the point of
the face-huggers
? I mean, really, that was quite an evolutionary step that "poof", magically they reproduce differently now. :rolleyes: And what's the point of doing that anyways if they
are already fully developed baby Aliens
?

4) Why the heck
did only one Predator come to Earth to fight all the Aliens
? I mean, come on, I would expect something more like the first AVP or, to a certain extent, the
human response seen in the movie Aliens
. That was just dumb.

I'm sure there is more, but that's enough for now. I was just hoping for more AVP action and less cheap horror theatrics. I just don't care for those. I don't care for gruesome much, it just isn't something I care to pay to see.

Oh well, I think National Treasure is up next....

Anything with "Alien" or "Predator" I'll watch. Can't get enough Sci-Fi. Seen them all, enjoyed them all. I'm a "Predator" kind of guy, tho. :D

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm for all "Alien" and "Predator" movies also but gruesomeness should only flow within the movie. No gratuitous violence is even remotely necessary. The creatures are bad enough.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm for all "Alien" and "Predator" movies also but gruesomeness should only flow within the movie. No gratuitous violence is even remotely necessary. The creatures are bad enough.
I think you summarized my feelings very well with that. I like the creatures and the action scenes, but the excess junk should be left out....