2022 Summer League Open Thread (non-Kings games)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So, there are competing factors. This sort of thing, and the fact that in the recent past top...say 10-15 or so draft picks have a tendency to sit out the last half of Summer League makes me want to attend the early days of SL. Then again, the fact that the crowds tend to thin out makes me want to attend the late days. I guess we'll see how the latter goes this time around. Hopefully the Kings don't sit Murray for games 4 & 5.

I thought Green was specifically cited time and time again why Houston would never pick Ivey. I have no clue who ultimately can and can't work together, I'm just a fan, but I also had Jabari up there and saw the only path to him falling to us was if Chet went first and then OKC liked Ivey. I also think Houston may have just gone into panic mode after learning Banchero wasn't going to be there and having been lasered in (reading some draft day recaps they really hadn't done any post lotto scouting/further homework on Jabari).

Anyways, fans of teams in full process need to accept that they are going to whiff on these high picks, that's the point of 3-4 years of high level tanking, if you go 2/4 but find two all-stars or better you win. I always try to remind advocates of this approach that it's still a huge gamble and not every draft class is particularly great. I think Portland may learn a hard lesson blowing it up and picking 7th and maybe not getting the best guy there.

I still like Jabari though. But Houston will have to play to his strengths and they are probably a few years from being able to do that.
I really don’t understand why people think Ivey can’t play PG. The ball in his hands is what makes him special. Playmaking might take a bit to get there, but he’s already got all the intangibles. In today’s NBA, we don’t have many true PGs anymore. Instead, we have multiple playmakers on 1 team who can pass the rock and run an offense.

I think OKC wouldve very much in the mix for Ivey at #2 if Chet went #1. I think the rumors of them loving him wasn’t smoke screen because we heard all along that they also loved Chet.

In regards to Jabari, he’s been having a tough SL outing, but I agree with you, he’ll be alright. A lot of the shots he’s missing now, he won’t miss in the NBA. I also think Houston needs to put him in a position to succeed. He’s not a guy like Banchero where you give him the ball and ask him to score. He’s more like Keegan where you have to draw up plays for him and find ways to get him good looks.

I think Sharpe will either end up being one of the best players, or the biggest bust. I don’t see an in-between for him. I think Portland also knew this, which is why they went BPA. Someone like Dyson Daniels will be able to contribute immediately vs. Sharpe, but I think they’re thinking about life beyond Dame. Let’s be honest… Portland is not winning a ring in Dame’s timeline with how much better all the other teams are.

With a lot of these guys, we won’t know until 2-3 years, maybe after their rookie contracts if they were the right picks.

However, I also stand by my stance that Ivey would’ve never fit next to Fox and Sabonis. Not enough basketball to go around for the 3 of them. This reminds me of the Trae Young debate. I knew that Trae would succeed in the NBA, but only IF an NBA team let him play the way at Oklahoma with an entire free-reign of an offense. Ivey doesn’t need Trae Young usage, but he definitely needs to touch the ball almost every possession. That wasn’t going to happen here unless we traded Fox or Sabonis… which we definitely were not going to do unless we wanted to rebuild for another year.

I see Cunningham-Ivey similar to the KD-Westbrook pairing, except Cunningham will run more point.

If Murray turns into a good starter and the Kings make the playoffs, I’m not going to be upset if Ivey turns into Westbrook 2.0 We had one of the most talented big men in recent history with DeMarcus Cousins, but we did nothing with him. Team success and organizational success will triumph any type of individual player’s greatness.

All I know is that this draft class might be one of the most fun and talented to watch. I still remember when people questioned the talent! It’s very talented.

McClung looking really good and somehow without a contract? Very quick and explosive, stands out. Would love to get him as the 3rd PG or on a two way and bump up Queta.
Was just coming in to mention him, I’ll take him as PG 3 every day. Also, Queta still gets lost at times both on defense and offense but I have to admit, dude has flashes that have earned him a spot. Len is useless on this roster, we need Queta on the roster instead of him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Was just coming in to mention him, I’ll take him as PG 3 every day. Also, Queta still gets lost at times both on defense and offense but I have to admit, dude has flashes that have earned him a spot. Len is useless on this roster, we need Queta on the roster instead of him.
I forgot about Len, yeah fire that contract into the sun.

I really don’t understand why people think Ivey can’t play PG. The ball in his hands is what makes him special. Playmaking might take a bit to get there, but he’s already got all the intangibles. In today’s NBA, we don’t have many true PGs anymore. Instead, we have multiple playmakers on 1 team who can pass the rock and run an offense.

I think OKC wouldve very much in the mix for Ivey at #2 if Chet went #1. I think the rumors of them loving him wasn’t smoke screen because we heard all along that they also loved Chet.

In regards to Jabari, he’s been having a tough SL outing, but I agree with you, he’ll be alright. A lot of the shots he’s missing now, he won’t miss in the NBA. I also think Houston needs to put him in a position to succeed. He’s not a guy like Banchero where you give him the ball and ask him to score. He’s more like Keegan where you have to draw up plays for him and find ways to get him good looks.

I think Sharpe will either end up being one of the best players, or the biggest bust. I don’t see an in-between for him. I think Portland also knew this, which is why they went BPA. Someone like Dyson Daniels will be able to contribute immediately vs. Sharpe, but I think they’re thinking about life beyond Dame. Let’s be honest… Portland is not winning a ring in Dame’s timeline with how much better all the other teams are.

With a lot of these guys, we won’t know until 2-3 years, maybe after their rookie contracts if they were the right picks.

However, I also stand by my stance that Ivey would’ve never fit next to Fox and Sabonis. Not enough basketball to go around for the 3 of them. This reminds me of the Trae Young debate. I knew that Trae would succeed in the NBA, but only IF an NBA team let him play the way at Oklahoma with an entire free-reign of an offense. Ivey doesn’t need Trae Young usage, but he definitely needs to touch the ball almost every possession. That wasn’t going to happen here unless we traded Fox or Sabonis… which we definitely were not going to do unless we wanted to rebuild for another year.

I see Cunningham-Ivey similar to the KD-Westbrook pairing, except Cunningham will run more point.

If Murray turns into a good starter and the Kings make the playoffs, I’m not going to be upset if Ivey turns into Westbrook 2.0 We had one of the most talented big men in recent history with DeMarcus Cousins, but we did nothing with him. Team success and organizational success will triumph any type of individual player’s greatness.

All I know is that this draft class might be one of the most fun and talented to watch. I still remember when people questioned the talent! It’s very talented.
This is a spot on and very good post!

I too think Jabari will need to be used similar to Murray in that screens, 2 man games, and passes into the post will be needed to showcase his talent. I'm just baffled how uncomfortable he looks right now.

I also loved Ivey and think he will be fantastic. In the right situation. And if the Kings had drafted Ivey I think the playoffs were 3 years in the future (at best) because the whole team would have needed to be restructured, leading to a lot of frustration amongst fans.

Paolo is the real deal. Dude is gonna be a top 10 player in a few years. His legs are freaking tree trunks already! In 10 years he is gonna look like Karl Malone but with Magic Johnson versatility. That's scary!

For the Kings, Murray was a no brainer. He was such a no brainer that it was almost boring to pick him. Dude has Tim Duncan's stoic demeanor and a Klay Thompson skillset at 6'8". Obviously not a finished product but for a 2022 PF that's precisely what you want. He can slot in and offer an immediate upgrade to the team without screwing up the overall continuity of what they have. You basically get a top 6 talent from this draft that fits as that missing puzzle piece you have been looking for. Boring? Yeah. Will he contribute to winning right out the gate and for many years to come? ABSOLUTELY. And that is exactly what Monte wanted, nee NEEDED, to continue in his role and get talked about in GMOTY conversation if the Kings turn it around.

Mathurin is gonna be a stud, excited to see what he and Haliburton do. I LOVED Hali and was sorry to see him go. I knew it was either him or Fox and I was 50/50 on that one, Hali is cheaper but Fox had more history.

Not sold at all on Daniel's, I don't get the love for him. Jumper is broken. Defense is next level but he is a poor man's Miles Bridges at the moment and no guarantee he can reach that level.

And don't get me started on Mysterion (Shaedon Sharpe). Too many question about him not suiting up for KY when he was healthy, and then refusing to workout with other players. One thing I have always said about players at that level, especially NFL when you have RBs who hold out over contract disputes, once they end that time away and get back to real game play, season ending injuries usually follow.

We'd have to flip Holmes first. Bringing Queta up to be the 3rd C and not play just doesn't make sense. I'd rather he keep getting full run in the g league and develop.

Queta has momentary lapses in his concentration but the skills are there for development.

Len can be disposed of at this point, I would rather gamble on Quetas upside versus Lens low ceiling.

We'd have to flip Holmes first. Bringing Queta up to be the 3rd C and not play just doesn't make sense. I'd rather he keep getting full run in the g league and develop.
3rd C is exactly where I’d want Queta to at least to start the season. While he’s had flashes during the SL, this is the SL after all and he’s playing against bigs that won’t see any minutes come regular season. At some point playing against lesser talent isn’t going to develop him further. Get Brown and Co. coaching him, get him practicing against Sabonis and Holmes everyday, get him seeing live action with NBA bigs. His lapses are still frequent enough that he needs more time to develop the nuances to playing basketball because the raw skills and talent are there. Get him minutes in spurts throughout the year and if continues to develop we can ship Holmes out with zero C depth concern. We still will likely trade Holmes at some point as it is.

Man, my first look at McClung in the last year and he looks vastly improved. Very much looks like he's developed PG skills/handle and his freaky athleticism was always going to play. The big knock on him was that he was basically a scoring off-guard in a 6'2 body and those concerns look gone.

22 pts on 9-15 shooting
6Ast
5 Reb-3 steals
1 TO

No idea what we're going to use our back-end roster spots on, but he's not going to go without a 2-way for long.

Last edited:
3rd C is exactly where I’d want Queta to at least to start the season. While he’s had flashes during the SL, this is the SL after all and he’s playing against bigs that won’t see any minutes come regular season. At some point playing against lesser talent isn’t going to develop him further. Get Brown and Co. coaching him, get him practicing against Sabonis and Holmes everyday, get him seeing live action with NBA bigs. His lapses are still frequent enough that he needs more time to develop the nuances to playing basketball because the raw skills and talent are there. Get him minutes in spurts throughout the year and if continues to develop we can ship Holmes out with zero C depth concern. We still will likely trade Holmes at some point as it is.
in my opinion you move him up and you make sure he gets 5-10 minutes every game. Queeta has the potential to be a defensive stopper and you don’t have another player like that on the team and you are unlikely you hope to be in position to draft one.

if he can start hitting 3’s with some regularity then he becomes a perfect center to pair with your guys.

in my opinion you move him up and you make sure he gets 5-10 minutes every game. Queeta has the potential to be a defensive stopper and you don’t have another player like that on the team and you are unlikely you hope to be in position to draft one.

if he can start hitting 3’s with some regularity then he becomes a perfect center to pair with your guys.
It doesn't even need to be regularly. Just enough where a defender has to actually stay up on him and not sag off 10 feet into the paint. And what's nice about Queta is he has a little passing too. If he keeps adding these modern tools, that just gives him more and more ways to get on the floor. That 3 he hit today was perfect; we don't need him to be a launcher, but if they give you 10 feet of wide open space? Knock it down. Same with that elbow jumper.

And 5-10 minutes I’m fine with, but depending on him as the back up C seems risky. I’m not going to take the time to go dig up the film but yesterdays game I noticed multiple times on offense he would get lost, start moving around without a goal in mind and create a bit of a cluster where he’s in the way of passing lanes and cutters. On defense I’ve seen him be late on help defense sticking on his man well past the point where he should be challenging the driving ball handler. I’ve noticed this in every summer league game so far, mental lapses or uncertainty in areas of the game he should be sound in. It’s not an always thing, he’s shown that he can make the right play and be quite effective at doing so, and I think with in game experience against a more talented opponent he’ll learn at an accelerated pace so I definitely want him on the roster and to see minutes. I just don’t want to depend on him to give give us 10-15 quality minutes as a defensive stopper as well a possible spacer/distributor at this stage of his development. Can he/will be able to? Sure. At this moment I think it would be a big ask.

Crazy to see how athletically Jack White has fallen off I have not watched him in like 5-6 years, he went from facing off against Jalen Brown (freshmen year) in a preseason game where he was playing for the AIS (Australian Institute of Sport)against whatever college team Brown was on where he and Brown were the two most athletically gifted guys (he was dunking all over his Jalen's team) there to what he is now. I thought heading into college he would be a 1-2 year player than the NBA but.....

I can't get over Luke Travers representing West Australia what a beast his impact is far greater than any stats measure I really hope he makes it or goes to Europe and stops playing in the NBL (I can't watch NBL I found it so boring). Although if he stays in the NBL I can watch him in person but with inflation the way it is.......

Last edited: