2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

To be fair, it is very rare to get a real needle-mover with the MLE anyway.

Also, why are we ignoring possible improvements from Sabonis and TD? I think this team can grow organically to be a playoff team under a good coach.
Yeah, def fair. If you get TD back healthy and Holmes/Holiday perform closer to their career norm, that's basically like adding 3 guys we didn't have last year. And a full off-season/training camp under Brown.

I don't understand losing DDV, but it must have literally been like "He's 100% taking the QO, he's going to hate it here and he's going to leave next season" sort of conversation. You just don't let a talented young guy like that walk without seeing his market.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Most of our movement was going to have to be through trades. But man, adding Monk/Murray and losing DDV/Jones isn't really moving the needle forward all that much. We're better, but certainly not to the extent where we need to be to push us into being a serious playoff contender. We're basically hoping all our growth is through coach Brown, Mitchell year 2, Holmes rebounds back to form, Holiday rebounds back to form, Fox deciding to play defense in year 6 and Murray being a ROY candidate. And with Jones walking, we actually need to keep Holmes at this point or we're creating another serious hole at the back-up 5. Can we trust Len/Queta to fill those minutes? Maybe?

Need a Martin, Okogie type badly. Sounds like GPII predictably is out of our price range now.
I'd argue the Kings are worse now talent-wise than before FA began. Fortunately, it's not over yet. Agreed on Brown and Mitchell, but I'm not getting my hopes up on the back-up center position with Holmes or Len, much less Queta. I can't see Murray by himself having more than a three-game effect in the win column.

At this point I'm interested in what teams in the West have gotten worse relative to the Kings. Off the top of my head I'd say the Spurs is the only clear cut loser, heading near the top of next year's elite draft. The loss of Brunson could hurt Dallas also. It's possible that the Lakers are getting worse because of LBJ's decline, but until the stake is put in you can't count them out. Maybe the Suns get worse because of Ayton, but that's totally unknown at this point. Durant could have some say in the matter. NO and the Clipps are on the upswing, as is Memphis. At the least Portland should be better because Lillard is back. GS is GS. OKC isn't getting worse. Neither is Houston. Utah? I dunno.

Really need a Martin. Okogie is so bad on offense that he's a net negative.
At this point it would help but the minutes aren't there to be honest. 9-10 man rotation is probably the most they want to go and honestly it's going to be likely up to how many minutes TD, Holiday, and Murray play. I'd say Murray could get full starters minutes if ready mostly at PF or SF depending on whatever you want to call he and Barnes. The question is also whether Davion takes a hit minutes wise or Monk is playing Donte level minutes in that 24 per game range if Fox, Mitchell, and Monk are too small as a tandem:

PG: Fox (34 mpg)/Mitchell (14 mpg)
SG: Monk (24 mpg)/Mitchell (14 mpg)/TD (10 MPG)
SF: Barnes (34 mpg)/Holiday(14 mpg)
PF: Murray (34 mpg)/Lyles or Metu (14 mpg)
C: Sabonis (34 mpg)/Holmes (14 mpg)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Holiday get most of those SF/PF minutes as the backup either which is historically his role. Gentry needed the length and shooting with TD out so he had to play out of position as a SG. The only way they get starters minutes for Fox, Mitchell, and Monk is by either cutting one of TD or Holiday out of the rotation or playing them at the 3 for the most part. Moving those Holiday minutes over to PF can get TD up to legit minutes and would probably depend on the game as to whether Metu or Lyles even play.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, def fair. If you get TD back healthy and Holmes/Holiday perform closer to their career norm, that's basically like adding 3 guys we didn't have last year. And a full off-season/training camp under Brown.

I don't understand losing DDV, but it must have literally been like "He's 100% taking the QO, he's going to hate it here and he's going to leave next season" sort of conversation. You just don't let a talented young guy like that walk without seeing his market.
The question is: Why exactly is he going to hate it here? Was it because Gentry got the order to limit his minutes in favor of Holiday, who at the time was playing below a crap level? Were they trying to depress his market value? The whole thing didn't make sense until it was reported that that was exactly what they were trying to do. It certainly wasn't because they had All Star Holiday there deserving of his minutes. Wasn't it Brown who talked about the importance of "trust" within the organization? Doesn't sound to me like DDV trusts this organization. Yes, letting the talented young guy go without seeing his market value doesn't make sense. In my experience, it's when things don't make sense that you need to pay very close attention.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No. Do you even realize how far over the cap the warriors are? Its something like 7x for every dollar.
1- it’s fairly obvious that tweet was -a joke.
2- The Warriors ownership group is so insanely wealthy (they reportedly make the second most money as a sports franchise in America, second only to the Cowboys) that it’s not like they couldn’t pay the luxury tax even if they wanted to

1- it’s fairly obvious that tweet was -a joke.
2- The Warriors ownership group is so insanely wealthy (they reportedly make the second most money as a sports franchise in America, second only to the Cowboys) that it’s not like they couldn’t pay the luxury tax even if they wanted to
Just sayin.

Obviously wasn't common knowledge to me. I don't pay much attention to the cap stuff. I just figured we would have more money since we just have a bunch of crappy players.
Unfortunately ALL players in the league are overpaid --- elite, good, adequate, or crappy.

The teams that have multiple stars are always WAY over the cap. Which makes the cap kinda pointless.

But even bad teams have to pay the players leading their under-performing team way too much money.

Basically any time the cap rises players on every team (and their greedy agents) demand more money. And sadly, they still do the same when revenue is down.

It feels like the bubble has to burst at some point. But here we are all these years later and it still hasn't.

What we have to show for it are a lot of bad teams spending 80 to 140M on their rosters.

HOU won a mere 20 games this past season yet spent roughly 104M for that privilege.

And the hated LA LeFrauds won 33 games while spending over 150M. That's 4.55M per win.
Meanwhile our KINGS paid 1M less per win!! What a bargain!!

Last edited:
Well, to re-enforce that point, he didn't exactly catch on elsewhere prior to his stint in Golden State. The Dubs were his 4th team. Now it's 5 with Portland.
This is nothing new. Teams think champion role player rub will make a difference for them. Sometimes it does. Portland has done something on paper the Kings haven't though and that's add some defense around Dame. Of course as of now his number 2 and 3 are Jerami Grant and Simons. Better hope Sharpe isn't close to ready because that could mean something when it comes to playoff positioning. I think if you put Monk in Simons' role he'd probably put up the same numbers Simons did when he busted out so it's a wash at SG. This is probably the team on paper standing in between the Kings and a playoff slot right now.

The Bulls signed Drummond to a 2 year deal would the Kings do a Holmes + Barnes trade for Vuc (shot well from 3 last 3 season prior to this one) + one of their wings, the ball movement and high IQ with Vuc/Sabonis would be on par with like Miller/Vlade. Defense would be an issue but reality is your not stopping anyone building around Fox/Sabonis anyway. You could split it so Murray could also play PF with one of Vuc or Sabonis on the floor at all times with him after the intial starting period of him being the 3 man.

PG: Fox
SG:: Monk
SF: Murray
PF: Sabonis (Vuc would be PF on offense/Sabonis at C)
C: Vuc

Can even do Barnes for Vuc straight up and trade Holmes for a wing later on.