2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

I mean with our defensive personnel currently it would have been all on Browns shoulders anyways. He may have to suit up and play some defense! Lolz. But i think keegan can develop into a good weak side rim protector. Just have to allow him to develop. Trading for collins doesnt allow for that. I agree that a Harris Thybull trade is better, and I would be willing to move a FRP for it. The benefit is Harris can legit play 3 or 4. Thybull is an all NBA defense type of player and his shot has been improving to where you cant just leave him. He makes good plays. Plus you arent stuck with Tobias contract for another 4 years. His salary will expire the same time as Domas so you will have more than enough money to re-sign him (61M comes off the books that year including 21 of Domas and 40 for harris). If we move Barnes, this is the right move, not for John Collins.

SAC give: Barnes, Holmes, Harkless, 2024 FRP (Top 10 protected)

SAC gets: Harris, Thybull

Fox/Mitchell
Thybull/TD
Harris/Holiday
Lyles/Murray (takes starting role by all star) /metu
Sabonis/Jones/len.

Go get olidipo and or a martin twin and as indicated above resign Jones.
Of anything the Kings get the frp for taking on Harris contract.

I mean with our defensive personnel currently it would have been all on Browns shoulders anyways. He may have to suit up and play some defense! Lolz. But i think keegan can develop into a good weak side rim protector. Just have to allow him to develop. Trading for collins doesnt allow for that. I agree that a Harris Thybull trade is better, and I would be willing to move a FRP for it. The benefit is Harris can legit play 3 or 4. Thybull is an all NBA defense type of player and his shot has been improving to where you cant just leave him. He makes good plays. Plus you arent stuck with Tobias contract for another 4 years. His salary will expire the same time as Domas so you will have more than enough money to re-sign him (61M comes off the books that year including 21 of Domas and 40 for harris). If we move Barnes, this is the right move, not for John Collins.

Fox/Mitchell
Thybull/TD
Harris/Holiday
Sabonis/Jones/len.

If I can get Monk for scoring off the bench and one of the Martin twins with a Harris/Thybulle trade I’m all for it.

Fox/Mitchell
Thybull/TD
Harris/Holiday
Sabonis/Jones/len.

that is the wrong trade for Harris in my opinion. First off, the additional assets should be coming our way. Harris is an albatross contract. There is no way we should give up a FRP. It should be, at minimum, Harris, Thuybulle, and an asset (pick or Springer) coming back.

Second, why use Holmes? You can make it work with Barnes, Harkless, Holiday and Len. Save Holmes for a separate deal where you obtain an asset.

The deal should be

Barnes, Harkless, Holiday, and Len for Harris, Thuybulle, and Springer or FRP.

So it really comes down to one of two truths:
Monte is working a trade and needs the cap space to take on more salary or Donte didn’t want to be here and we decided not to do Buddy/Bagley all over again. The second one sucks but they may have determined DDV wasn’t a good enough piece to risk matching on a 40 mil dollar deal for an unhappy player. Let’s hope it was the former

If we just wanted to sign a free agent we could have had both DDV and Monk or whoever fit into the MLE

So, if we end up signing both M&M (Malik and Mo) would it be considered asking for too much if I want the peanut version, as opposed to the milk chocolate one; Milk chocolate is just way too boring...I want to see some excitement!!! :p:p:p

Peanut.jpg

So it really comes down to one of two truths:
Monte is working a trade and needs the cap space to take on more salary or Donte didn’t want to be here and we decided not to do Buddy/Bagley all over again. The second one sucks but they may have determined DDV wasn’t a good enough piece to risk matching on a 40 mil dollar deal for an unhappy player. Let’s hope it was the former

If we just wanted to sign a free agent we could have had both DDV and Monk or whoever fit into the MLE
We're over the cap. Trades are still limited to equal salary within the range. We would need to be under the cap to take on more salary.

We only get under by renouncing all the cap holds. DDV's and Lamb's are big, and Lamb doesn't seem likely to sign early in free agency. So we can use the full MLE (and BAE?) then renounce.
Right. Which a few people are reporting or don't understand how it works. It's stupid to renounce rights to get $9 mil under when the MLE is more.

The Q/O is a one year binding offer and the Kings could rescind it at any time. The self-bidding risk that you're hung up on, it's a mirage.
I don't think you understand how QO's work. It's just a 1 year deal as a place holder. They could still offer a longer term deal at a lower price per year than the QO.
I still see the DDV proponents tap dancing around the question of; what do you think he'll fetch on the open market? Seems like this thread started with posters talking about 10mil a year for DDV and him starting and will end with him taking considerably less to play a backup role..

Giving him the qualifying offer so we can rescind it by July 13th?? whats that accomplish? Seems like an exercise in futility.

Spencer Percy @QCHspencer
about 5 minutes ago
If CHA moves away from Miles Bridges, so many different directions come into play. One trade concept I'm mulling: CHA: Harrison Barnes (1 yr, $18M), Richaun Holmes (3 yrs, $36M), Justin Holiday (1 yr, $6M) SAC: Plumlee (1 yr, $9M), Oubre (1 yr, $12.6M), Bouknight (3 yrs, $15M)

Hmmmmm Maybe?

Fox Mitchell
Bouknight TD
Oubre Harkless
Murray Lyles
Sabonis Plumlee

about 5 minutes ago
If CHA moves away from Miles Bridges, so many different directions come into play. One trade concept I'm mulling: CHA: Harrison Barnes (1 yr, $18M), Richaun Holmes (3 yrs, $36M), Justin Holiday (1 yr, $6M) SAC: Plumlee (1 yr, $9M), Oubre (1 yr, $12.6M), Bouknight (3 yrs, $15M)

Hmmmmm Maybe?

Fox Mitchell
Bouknight TD
Oubre Harkless
Murray Lyles
Sabonis Plumlee
no

We only get under by renouncing all the cap holds. DDV's and Lamb's are big, and Lamb doesn't seem likely to sign early in free agency. So we can use the full MLE (and BAE?) then renounce.
Capt, looking at our current cap situation, whats the most we can sign DDV to now, since we didn't extend the QO?

I wonder if its a situation where DDV agent said they are looking for 4 years/$60 mil contract and Monte told them no, but good luck with that. I won't extend the QO, go ahead and test the waters yourself and comeback with an offer sheet and give me a chance to beat it. Otherwise Adios.

Right. Which a few people are reporting or don't understand how it works. It's stupid to renounce rights to get $9 mil under when the MLE is more.
If I understand correctly, opening up space would allow you flexibility to take on more money in terms of trades. If we’re just talking about signing free agents, then I agree you’re better off with the exceptions rather than the space.

about 5 minutes ago

Hmmmmm Maybe?

Fox Mitchell
Bouknight TD
Oubre Harkless
Murray Lyles
Sabonis Plumlee
I'm seriously struggling to find ANY way, just ONE, that we would benefit from this. This is a HARD NO from me. Not even worth considering.

I still see the DDV proponents tap dancing around the question of; what do you think he'll fetch on the open market? Seems like this thread started with posters talking about 10mil a year for DDV and him starting and will end with him taking considerably less to play a backup role..

Giving him the qualifying offer so we can rescind it by July 13th?? whats that accomplish? Seems like an exercise in futility.
Well, if you don't want a player it's to try and get teams to come to you in free agency with something if only a 2nd rounder to get you to look the other way. Monte didn't get anything for Bogdan but it forced the Bucks to come to him. For this to make ANY sense it would be that Monte is trying to make it right by Donte (why? Don't know), or he needs that little tiny bit of space to bring in someone specific in trade at a lower salary or as part of a bigger deal. The issue with Monte right now is he's kind of telegraphing his moves. He certainly did on draft night.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, if you don't want a player it's to try and get teams to come to you in free agency with something if only a 2nd rounder to get you to look the other way. Monte didn't get anything for Bogdan but it forced the Bucks to come to him. For this to make ANY sense it would be that Monte is trying to make it right by Donte (why? Don't know), or he needs that little tiny bit of space to bring in someone specific in trade at a lower salary or as part of a bigger deal. The issue with Monte right now is he's kind of telegraphing his moves. He certainly did on draft night.
Not offering the QO to DDV doesn't open up any caproom.

Not offering the QO to DDV doesn't open up any caproom.
I know, if they are using that space they'll renounce the cap holds which should still get them under a little. If they wanted Donte, this wouldn't make sense for either side. For this to be at all useful it has to be about targeting a non-FA player and being able to give a team some salary cap relief. I think somehow the Kings will be the 3rd wheel in a John Collins trade with their old friends CASH and Mr. 2nd round pick coming to the capital city. lol.

Right, there’s nothing stopping you from both withdrawing the QO and renouncing the rights to clear the cap hold after the fact, unless of course you’re worried he might just up and accept the QO.
That would mean they really don't want him then, lol. At the very least he's nice sized expiring.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know, if they are using that space they'll renounce the cap holds which should still get them under a little. If they wanted Donte, this wouldn't make sense for either side. For this to be at all useful it has to be about targeting a non-FA player and being able to give a team some salary cap relief. I think somehow the Kings will be the 3rd wheel in a John Collins trade with their old friends CASH and Mr. 2nd round pick coming to the capital city. lol.
Yeah, I'm really at a loss as to what they are doing. Because even if that were the plan, I believe getting under the cap would eliminate the MLE for the Kings, which also seems like a terrible idea.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Capt, looking at our current cap situation, whats the most we can sign DDV to now, since we didn't extend the QO?

I wonder if its a situation where DDV agent said they are looking for 4 years/$60 mil contract and Monte told them no, but good luck with that. I won't extend the QO, go ahead and test the waters yourself and comeback with an offer sheet and give me a chance to beat it. Otherwise Adios.
The cap hold on DDV appears to be $14M, so we've got enough space to get up to around that 4/$60M region with an escalating contract.

But if we were willing to go that high, why balk on the $6.6M QO? Showing "good faith" and negotiating against ourselves rather than letting hte market dictate his value?

Because DDV is now unrestricted, there is no offer sheet anymore. DDV can negotiate with every team, and we have no chance to match.