2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

Figure we need a spot for the Tetsu twitter bot to post all news/rumors, etc with all the madness starting tomorrow.

First instinct is I hate this for DEN, but KCP does make a lot sense next to Jokic as a shooter+upgrade on defense.
Ditto. Barton is my favorite player in this trade. But KCP slots next to Jamal Murray better than Barton or Morris. And I’ve always liked Ish as a back up pg (but I like Morris more).

Who's the supposed suitor for Hartenstein? Not clicking the link since he intentionally, and unnecessarily, made it into clickbait.
Bulls, but supposedly they want to save room and won't offer the full MLE. And the Magic?? Also thinks he may stick one more year with Clips to get rewarded later, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

So what do we really need? 3rd string PG, maybe a combo guard, backup sf, backup pf?
I think the #1 priority should be getting better/more talented wherever we can. Guys like Barnes, DDV, Holmes, Lyles, Jones, and Davis are nice pieces, but they are role players. I don't think we can be so enamored with our role players that we consider those roster spots "locked down" if there are better options. So I think the first priority is any trade or signing that increases the talent base around the supposed core of Sabonis, Fox, Murray, Mitchell.

But if you assume most of those role players are back, then I think the obvious priority is another wing, preferably more of a 3/4 or 3/2, rather than the 4/3s (Murray and Barnes) and 2/3s (Holiday and Harkless) we already have. Adding a 3/4 or 3/2 wing to compliment Barnes and Murray, and maybe displace Barnes long term, should be the priority. Someone who can play with either Barnes or Murray, and can be counted on for 28-30 minutes. Much like some view Fox, DDV, and Mitchell as a 3 guard rotation that will eat up most of the 96 available minutes at 1 and 2, it would be great to add a third high level wing who, along with Murray and Barnes, will be counted on to eat up most of the 96 minutes at 3 and 4. Maybe someone like Porter or a Martin twin.

Figuring out the backup 5 should be a priority as well. Is it Holmes? Is it Jones? Is it a free agent like Hartenstein?

Another ball handler would be nice, but someone on a vet minimum, who would understand that he is the 3rd point guard, and is here to provide leadership and some minutes in case of injury.

The other priority would be trying to move on from some of the enders and random vets clogging the roster. Moving on from people like Harkless, Len, and Holiday would be nice if we can use that salary or those roster spots for some higher upside, younger prospects.

Ideally, you want to identify an 8 man core rotation. The 8 guys you are counting on to win you games when they matter. It is also nice to have a solid 9 and 10 man who can flex into the rotation due to matchups, fouls, instant offense, or just give you 10-12 minutes a night during the dog days of the season when going with an 8 man rotation is too tough. Then some guys in the 11-17 spots who are younger upside plays.

Right now, I think the core 8 are shaping up to be the following (though if you can improve this talent base you do it, without question)

Guard: Fox, Mitchell, DDV (all interchangeable and can play with each other)
Wings: Murray, Barnes, and free agent or someone coming back in a Holmes trade
Centers: Sabonis and a backup (Holmes/Jones/free agent)

Seems like the 9/10 guys are probably Davis and Lyles unless you find an upgrade

the 11-17 spots seem like Metu, Queta, Ellis and then some guys who would be nice to move on from like Holiday, Len, and Harkless.

I don't think Murray will produce if we expect him to guard 3's hes a 4 IMO. If he can rebound in the pros that would be a huge plus. We seem to be in a constant struggle to secure a SF and it's very frustrating.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Hartenstein would be nice on the Kings, but he's not a priority for a team that needs athleticism in the front line, especially needing someone who is athletic and can complement the relatively mediocre athleticism of the frontcourt starters. If the Kings' whiff on what they really need, he'd be a pretty good catch.

I suspect this is smoke. This is the time of year when agents and teams like to say the Kings are interested in x player, because everyone will believe we are wildly pursuing every player without direction. But if there is substance to this, the deal that works salary wise is:

Sac Trades: Barnes, Holiday, Harkless, and Len
Sac Receives: Harris and Thybulle

Given that we are taking on the massive Harris contract, I would hope that we are getting a draft pick as well. But the idea would be that you basically replace Barnes with Harris. Harris is probably a slightly better version of Barnes, though you are paying him much more and for one extra year. But in exchange for losing that cap space for one year, you get a good look at Thybulle and you get to clear out a few of the dead weight roster spots and use them for more promising prospects.

Edit- you could also add another young guy to the trade in addition to Harris and Thybulle and still have it work. You could technically add any of Paul Reed, Shake Milton, Georges Niang, or Jaden Springer, and still have the salaries work, if you really wanted to tax Philly and liked one of those guys.

I suspect this is smoke. This is the time of year when agents and teams like to say the Kings are interested in x player, because everyone will believe we are wildly pursuing every player without direction. But if there is substance to this, the deal that works salary wise is:

Sac Trades: Barnes, Holiday, Harkless, and Len
Sac Receives: Harris and Thybulle

Given that we are taking on the massive Harris contract, I would hope that we are getting a draft pick as well. But the idea would be that you basically replace Barnes with Harris. Harris is probably a slightly better version of Barnes, though you are paying him much more and for one extra year. But in exchange for losing that cap space for one year, you get a good look at Thybulle and you get to clear out a few of the dead weight roster spots and use them for more promising prospects.
Thybulle has been on my wishlist for a few years now. The Jumper never came around otherwise there wouldn't be any chance Philly even considers. Still he would be another arrow in our quiver to be a solid defensive team.

In my ideal world, Fox is our first scoring option, Murray second and Sabonis third. I’m looking for shooters and defenders to fill out the two starting spots and more of the same for depth on the bench. Those are the types we need to target. Maybe DDV is the guy or maybe he isn’t.