2021 Workouts

Yes.

The broadcast format was nearly useless - there was plenty of drilling going on on-court, but the cameras spent all their time zoomed on players, so you couldn't see what was going on. A very frustrating hour of TV.

My takeaways were:
As Funky said, Jones did not look at all comfortable shooting threes, and his footwork on the 3 was atrocious
The hour of drills seemed to push the stamina of many of the participants. Moody has great upper body strength but struggled to finish his "5 half court dunks" routine at the end. It appeared that Boston even declined the "5 half court dunks" routine to instead shoot threes from the top of the arc, and was coming up short consistently. But Jalen Johnson went for four full-court dunks instead of 5 half-court, and he was looking fresh (he missed #3 but I think he lost the ball on the way up, it wasn't that he didn't have the legs). Can't say much about his shot, but the kid is in great shape.
+1

I didn't watch it all but the format made what was already just an open workout/showcase even more useless. Kendrick Perkins didn't add anything with his "analysis" or player comparisons (Jalen Johnson reminds him of Aaron Gordon? Boston reminds him of Joe Johnson?) and while I appreciate the tribute to Terrance Clark, having every player wear a warmup with his name and number made it harder to follow.

In all it didn't change my mind about anything. Jalen Johnson is still high on my list at #9, Moody looks like a good role 3&D wing, Boston needs to get stronger and improve his shot, and Kai Jones scares me as a boom or bust prospect.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jared-butler-met-kings-015615531.html

Kings had dinner with Jared Butler. I wonder if they are hoping he slips to the second round due to the heart condition? I wonder if they let local Gourmand Mark Jones pick the place? How about some of that famous Jerk chicken? a nice cup of blue mountain coffee to finish the meal might be nice.
Hollingers top 70 prospects from today’s athletic . if they can get him in the 2nd that would be a steal

11. Jared Butler, PG/SG, Baylor, Junior

I’m a big fan of Butler, a butter-smooth guard with a sweet handle, long arms, good defensive anticipation and a money outside shot. Butler shot 41.6 percent on 3s on high volume, had a high assist rate for a combo guard, and shot 52.4 percent inside the arc while scoring at a high rate (31 points per 100). All the tools are there for a rotation-caliber combo guard with starter upside. While his teammate Davion Mitchell has gotten more of the praise recently, Butler is two years younger, bigger, had the greater offensive role and profiles as a better shooter.

Defensively, he might not be as insanely wired to cut off dribble penetration as Mitchell, but he has long arms that generate deflections and close up passing lanes. Baylor was a high-pressure team, so all of its players’ steal rates are inflated, but Butler’s 4.2 swipes per 100 possessions in Big 12 play were the highest of any prospect in his draft cycle.

Butler doesn’t offer elite upside because his size and athleticism are pretty unremarkable — and he was already a junior. He might have the best handle of any player in the draft, and his offensive game is exceptionally well-rounded. I have a hard time seeing how he fails.

However, as our Shams Charania reported, medical concerns about Butler could crater his stock. The league flagged him for an undisclosed issue and wouldn’t let him participate at the draft combine. His fate will depen on a review by the NBA’s fitness-to-play panel.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
However, as our Shams Charania reported, medical concerns about Butler could crater his stock. The league flagged him for an undisclosed issue and wouldn’t let him participate at the draft combine. His fate will depen on a review by the NBA’s fitness-to-play panel.
Yep, the problem with Butler is those scary medicals. It would be a real kick in the pants to draft a guy and then have the NBA declare him medically ineligible. Evidently this isn't new, as he transferred from his original school (Alabama) after they didn't medically clear him. Clearly he managed at Baylor, but there's a lot of risk in Butler right now, and unless you really know the story on his heart, the #39 might be too steep a price.

Honestly, the NBA's medical fitness panel needs to step it up and give a thumbs-up/thumbs-down sooner rather than later.

If he is medically clear, I wouldn't hesitate on Butler at 39 at all. Of course, if he's medically cleared, he probably won't be there at 39 to start off with. It's a difficult one, and has an ethical aspect to it also.

Ayo Dosunmu would be great at 39 too, but I highly doubt he will be there.

If we can get a second first rounder say trading down for two picks rather than one and can also pick up a capable defender like Kai Jones or Usman Garuba I’d be fine with taking Kispert as well if he’s available but definitely not at 9 as our main haul
It makes some sense to look at Kispert if were moving on from Buddy. I normally don’t like trade downs and would also be disappointed if he was the solo haul at 9, but as a mid first he’d fill a need including 3 point shot, and willingness to come off the bench.
Monte seems to be working a lot of angles here,

Last edited:
It makes some sense to look at Kispert if were moving on from Buddy. I normally don’t like trade downs and would also be disappointed if he was the solo haul at 9, but as a mid first he’d fill a need including 3 point shot, and willingness to come off the bench.
Monte seems to be working a lot of angles here,
Having more players that provide spacing does make any Buddy departure easier to manage on offence.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
So...you missed about a decade of "Being Sacramento" then, did you? It's on Netflix or something, I'd recommend catching up.
Sacramento is an entry level foot in the door for these players and once they get some experience or don't show out, all you have to do now a days is voice your displeasure on a social media platform