2021 Draft prospects

I know it's a bit early. But I'm looking at the draft. Is it just me or does the draft look a bit weak? It is heavy on guards very light on Centers and Power Forwards. I feel we need a Center for the future. We could also use a PF and maybe a SF. What do you guys see here?

I think there are some good players out there for us to draft. I figure we’ll draft about #10.
I think I would draft Davion Mitchell from Baylor if he’s available. I know he’s kinda short. But he might be a great player in the NBA. Him and Fox could be amazing together. He’s very aggressive and a great defender, which we need badly.
There are other good players out there that might be good picks at #10 like Zaire Williams and Kai Jones that could help us.
I’m not a huge Kispert (Gonzaga) fan. I just don’t think he’ll work out in the NBA, but he should be considered. At 6’7” he should be able to get this 3 point shot off, and that’s kinda the NBA game now.

Kispert is the one guy who really jumps out at me. He just looks like a big time player. But I've fallen for these Jimmer types before.

The centers that are available look really raw and under developed IMO.

Koofi Cockburn looks like he could be Shaq 2.0. But no one seems to think he is even second round pick.

I think there are some good players out there for us to draft. I figure we’ll draft about #10.
I think I would draft Davion Mitchell from Baylor if he’s available. I know he’s kinda short. But he might be a great player in the NBA. Him and Fox could be amazing together. He’s very aggressive and a great defender, which we need badly.
There are other good players out there that might be good picks at #10 like Zaire Williams and Kai Jones that could help us.
I’m not a huge Kispert (Gonzaga) fan. I just don’t think he’ll work out in the NBA, but he should be considered. At 6’7” he should be able to get this 3 point shot off, and that’s kinda the NBA game now.

Barring some Top 4 lottery luck, I'd be targeting...
  • Scottie Barnes
  • Moses Moody
  • Franz Wagner
  • Ziaire Williams
All are/can be good defenders who can play SF or PF (something we desperately need).

The good news (considering we theoretically have PG & SG locked up for years to come with Fox & Haliburton) is that the 2022 draft is very SF & PF heavy so perhaps between Woodard, our 2021 1st, and our 2022 1st, we could have a very solid & young 1-4 rotation. Add a cheap, rotational C and maybe we're cooking.

Yeah, Kispert is kinda like Jimmer.
I just looked up Jimmer. He was the NCAA Player of the Year in 2011, out of BYU. Then was picked by the Kings with the #10 pick (sounds like the pick we might get this year).
Jimmer is 6’2”, and I remember it seemed like he couldn’t get a shot off in the NBA, kinda like Kyle Guy (who I’m still hopeful for).
Wikipedia said Jimmer is playing for the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) now. At least Kispert is 6’7” and should have an easier time getting shots off.
Regarding the 2011 NBA Draft, after the Kings selected Jimmer at #10, Klay Thompson was picked at #11, Kawhi Leonard at #15, and Jimmy Butler at #30. Oh well. Can you imagine what Kawhi Leonard would have meant to the Kings!

• Scottie Barnes
  • Moses Moody
  • Franz Wagner
  • Ziaire Williams
All are/can be good defenders who can play SF or PF (something we desperately need).

The good news (considering we theoretically have PG & SG locked up for years to come with Fox & Haliburton) is that the 2022 draft is very SF & PF heavy so perhaps between Woodard, our 2021 1st, and our 2022 1st, we could have a very solid & young 1-4 rotation. Add a cheap, rotational C and maybe we're cooking.
Since it doesn't appear Marvin is part of our core this year and his value is seemingly low I'd like to see him used to trade up in this draft. Of course I'd love if we could trade up from say 8 to 5 but the more realistic trade is Marvin for a late first or worst case scenario our second plus Marvin for a first rounder. If we end up with Moody or Wagner and say Queta or another defensive big I'd be pretty happy.

Since it doesn't appear Marvin is part of our core this year and his value is seemingly low I'd like to see him used to trade up in this draft. Of course I'd love if we could trade up from say 8 to 5 but the more realistic trade is Marvin for a late first or worst case scenario our second plus Marvin for a first rounder. If we end up with Moody or Wagner and say Queta or another defensive big I'd be pretty happy.
Your not factoring in his salary. Few teams are below next years cap. They would most likely have to take salary back.

Right now the Kings potentially have an option that satisfies their needs on the wing while satiating their desire for playmakers in Josh Giddey. He's not a great fit on the surface but Haliburtons abilities as a glue guy to make it work could be the key. I'm not sure where Giddey goes though, it might end up being higher than the Kings pick. Definite no to small combo G's and yeah, PF no thanks, centers bleh. Looking at the mocks relative to value and intrigue my top 5 picks right now would be: (note: Scottie Barnes is my wish choice but I can't see him dropping but hopefully he does since he's the best of all worlds with size, defense, playmaking, while being the best upside/bust guy IMO.)

1. Josh Giddey
2. Jalen Johnson (potential trade down but he could rise)
3. Franz Wagner
4. BJ Boston (potential trade down in most mocks)
5. Corey Kispert

Yeah, Kispert is kinda like Jimmer.
I just looked up Jimmer. He was the NCAA Player of the Year in 2011, out of BYU. Then was picked by the Kings with the #10 pick (sounds like the pick we might get this year).
Jimmer is 6’2”, and I remember it seemed like he couldn’t get a shot off in the NBA, kinda like Kyle Guy (who I’m still hopeful for).
Wikipedia said Jimmer is playing for the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) now. At least Kispert is 6’7” and should have an easier time getting shots off.
Regarding the 2011 NBA Draft, after the Kings selected Jimmer at #10, Klay Thompson was picked at #11, Kawhi Leonard at #15, and Jimmy Butler at #30. Oh well. Can you imagine what Kawhi Leonard would have meant to the Kings!
I do think Kispert is likely a role player but he is a little closer to Buddy I think. He can get to the rim and create some stuff. I'm not sure he's a full time SF and might be in that modern day danger zone of being a SG/SF. Perhaps a Kyle Korver type but not as much of sniper while more physically capable of banging around with defenders.

Just wanted to point out that one of the 7 or 8 draft positioned teams ended up in the top 3 in each of
The last 4 drafts. It’s likely one or more of the teams outside of the top 5 will jump up.

Right now the Kings potentially have an option that satisfies their needs on the wing while satiating their desire for playmakers in Josh Giddey. He's not a great fit on the surface but Haliburtons abilities as a glue guy to make it work could be the key. I'm not sure where Giddey goes though, it might end up being higher than the Kings pick. Definite no to small combo G's and yeah, PF no thanks, centers bleh. Looking at the mocks relative to value and intrigue my top 5 picks right now would be: (note: Scottie Barnes is my wish choice but I can't see him dropping but hopefully he does since he's the best of all worlds with size, defense, playmaking, while being the best upside/bust guy IMO.)

1. Josh Giddey
2. Jalen Johnson (potential trade down but he could rise)
3. Franz Wagner
4. BJ Boston (potential trade down in most mocks)
5. Corey Kispert
I just looked up Josh Giddey. Wikipedia says he’s 6’8”, 205 lbs, and a point guard. 18 years old playing in the NBL (New Zealand). I haven’t seen any video of him playing, but that’s great size for a point guard in the NBA.
Great scouting from Sactownkid!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Avoid Kispert
Avoid Wagner unless there is no other option
Unless we get lottery ball lucky, we will have choices of players who can fit holes
Jalen Suggs will be the best player from this draft....my hot take
I’d love to have Scottie Barnes or Davion Mitchell

Avoid Kispert
Avoid Wagner unless there is no other option
Unless we get lottery ball lucky, we will have choices of players who can fit holes
Jalen Suggs will be the best player from this draft....my hot take
I’d love to have Scottie Barnes or Davion Mitchell
I’m curious what you don’t like about Wagner as a prospect? He is a plus defender, plus passer, plays 2 positions we have a need at, rarely makes mistakes, is the same age as most freshman with more experience, made big strides from year one to two and has plus shooting potential given his free throw percentage. He has downsides of course. He is probably a 12-15 points a game type of guy and has maybe a limited ceiling but I think he has a better than not chance of being a fantastic role player. I’d say he has to be in consideration after about the 7th or 8th slot.

I could see Suggs having a Mitchell type career but my money for best player is on Kuminga. He looks dominate offensively, can pass and has elite defensive potential. Bunch of guys loaded with talent in this draft.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m curious what you don’t like about Wagner as a prospect? He is a plus defender, plus passer, plays 2 positions we have a need at, rarely makes mistakes, is the same age as most freshman with more experience, made big strides from year one to two and has plus shooting potential given his free throw percentage. He has downsides of course. He is probably a 12-15 points a game type of guy and has maybe a limited ceiling but I think he has a better than not chance of being a fantastic role player. I’d say he has to be in consideration after about the 7th or 8th slot.

I could see Suggs having a Mitchell type career but my money for best player is on Kuminga. He looks dominate offensively, can pass and has elite defensive potential. Bunch of guys loaded with talent in this draft.
To be honest, I don’t spend all season watching these guys but do watch in the tourney. And I get it’s a small sample size but this is also season on the line and pressure situation as all teams are good right? I don’t hate Wagner but I also think he was a tad overrated early. I think I said early though that if we are at 13-15ish and he’s best player available, then you take him. Seeing you describe him, we may not be far off in valuations.

Kuminga, Cade, etc don’t suck at all. Great prospects. I think Suggs is the guy though.....just my opinion.

dude12

Hall of Famer

To continue from previous post, going back to watching the guys in the tourney, the 2 Baylor guards were damn impressive.

I think, barring the Kings getting lucky in lotteryville, the Kings will get a player equivalent to Halliburton......meaning a solid player with some upside.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
To continue from previous post, going back to watching the guys in the tourney, the 2 Baylor guards were damn impressive.

I think, barring the Kings getting lucky in lotteryville, the Kings will get a player equivalent to Halliburton......meaning a solid player with some upside.
The issue is if Davis sticks after the summer what can you realistically do with 4 guards? Davis can spot some minutes at the 3 but that's going to be a tough deal for whoever the Kings draft and the odds of them sticking long term are slim at that point. Williams has been dropping, I kind of hope the Kings stay away from him. He looks like a smaller Justin Jackson to me. Moses Moody could eventually fill out a bit at play some 3 IMO. I wouldn't be disappointed with someone like him.

• Scottie Barnes
  • Moses Moody
  • Franz Wagner
  • Ziaire Williams

I would take Garuba over Barnes. I understand Barnes has an extremely slow load on his Jump which makes him not a great finisher around the rim and his shot prevents him from moving out side.

meanwhile Garuba is steadily improving with a big game in his last game.

https://sportando.basketball/en/hig...-rebounds-in-real-madrid-win-vs-anadolu-efes/

To be honest, I don’t spend all season watching these guys but do watch in the tourney. And I get it’s a small sample size but this is also season on the line and pressure situation as all teams are good right? I don’t hate Wagner but I also think he was a tad overrated early. I think I said early though that if we are at 13-15ish and he’s best player available, then you take him. Seeing you describe him, we may not be far off in valuations.

Kuminga, Cade, etc don’t suck at all. Great prospects. I think Suggs is the guy though.....just my opinion.
Wagner isn’t a great outside shooter today which is the knock on him. But he is a very good free throw shooter which analytics has shown has a higher predictive value than college 3 point shooting.

To me this makes sense as young college kids are still growing in height and muscle mass which changes the trajectory of a 3 point shot a bit but is less impactful at the line. The danger however is the speed required to get off your shot. To me this area seemed to be the area Kispert struggled and Kispert is an older player without changing body mechanics.

I would take Garuba over Barnes. I understand Barnes has an extremely slow load on his Jump which makes him not a great finisher around the rim and his shot prevents him from moving out side.

https://sportando.basketball/en/hig...-rebounds-in-real-madrid-win-vs-anadolu-efes/
From the limited tape and write ups I have seen on Garuba I like the potential. For now he’s my pick in the late lottery range.
Somebody good will be available wherever we pick so I’m not too fussed about draft position. I also have a good vibe about Monte’s abilities to construct a team so far so looking forward to the offseason.

From the limited tape and write ups I have seen on Garuba I like the potential. For now he’s my pick in the late lottery range.
Somebody good will be available wherever we pick so I’m not too fussed about draft position. I also have a good vibe about Monte’s abilities to construct a team so far so looking forward to the offseason.
Is someone good likely available at 12? Probably? Is McNair capable of finding him. Who knows. Your margin for error grows exponentially as you go later in the draft

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

I sure hope 15 other GM's feel that way. Barnes' shot can be tweaked and is far from broken. Worst case scenario he's a legit 4-5 position defender who can run an offense. I think he eventually plays most of his minutes at PF anyway. He has a solid push shot/floater and has a nice form on his hook shot. The thing about him that stands out is what you see at about 5:35 in.

That's a full court slam, in control, and 2 steps from the 3 point line to a dunk. If a player can do that and run pick and roll, well, you are looking at similarities to Giannis, Pippen, etc. I'm not sure he is going to be a production wiz like Giannis but he'll impact the game in a bunch of different ways. I think his athletic tools and his foot speed make a gamble on him fizzling out more than worth it.

Garuba is interesting. The only issue is I've seen people say he's similar to that multiple position defender type and offensive players when switched get by him a little too easily IMO. He relies on recover contesting quite a bit and he's not an off the charts shotblocker to make that his calling card.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I sure hope 15 other GM's feel that way. Barnes' shot can be tweaked and is far from broken. Worst case scenario he's a legit 4-5 position defender who can run an offense. I think he eventually plays most of his minutes at PF anyway. He has a solid push shot/floater and has a nice form on his hook shot. The thing about him that stands out is what you see at about 5:35 in.

That's a full court slam, in control, and 2 steps from the 3 point line to a dunk. If a player can do that and run pick and roll, well, you are looking at similarities to Giannis, Pippen, etc. I'm not sure he is going to be a production wiz like Giannis but he'll impact the game in a bunch of different ways. I think his athletic tools and his foot speed make a gamble on him fizzling out more than worth it.

Garuba is interesting. The only issue is I've seen people say he's similar to that multiple position defender type and offensive players when switched get by him a little too easily IMO. He relies on recover contesting quite a bit and he's not an off the charts shotblocker to make that his calling card.
From what I saw of Barnes, I am a big fan based on the defensive potential and if he doesn’t develop enough offensively, I still think he is a potential glue guy. I mean having watched a guy like Harkless who has come over and understanding that as of late, he’s been more of a bench guy, but for our team, his skill set defensively has been needed. I feel Barnes can be a better version of this with more offensive game.

I think a reason I like him more than a Wagner as of right now.......I just like Barnes.

As of others said above, I think Kispert is a no go. I know little on Garuba so, I can’t say.

I still think Monte needs to go BPA in our range and if that means the Baylor guards or other guards as opposed to reaching for a Kispert, we need to take the guard and then figure it out later.

Haha. I’ve heard the same about Barnes. We shall see. It will be fun to revisit in 3 years.