2018 draft fits with this team

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I am starting to really wonder how Bamba would fit with our team. He seems to be putting it all together lately, attributing his improved play to the game slowing down and his teammates. His free throw shooting has improved greatly over the last few games.

"I'm just coming into it and being as confident [at the line] as I can be," Bamba said. "Just taking my time and completely resetting. Take a breath and the rest of it is pretty simple."-Bamba ( https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...hamed-bamba-college-game-finally-slowing-down)

His shot blocking is at an elite level, averaging 4.4 blks so far for the season. For a very small 2 game sample size, Jon Rothstein had this to say:

"Mo Bamba's last two games for Texas: 24.5 PPG, 13.5 RPG, 3.5 BPG, 3-3 from three-point range. Quietly going into beast mode. Longhorns have won three of four."

(https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/957588316244897793?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-01-28/texas-mohamed-bamba-college-game-finally-slowing-down)

What are everyone's thoughts on Bamba if he continues improving this season the way he has of late? This pick is going to be a tough one for the front office. SO many good prospects.
the worst approach the Kings front office can take is drafting based on need and not talent and potential. If they feel Bamba can develop into a stud, then you draft him, no questions asked. The Kings aren't in a position to pass up on talent and the moment they overthink their draft board is the moment they mess it up IMO.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I can’t help but feel that Kings would be better of not getting #1 pick. I am superstitious that way. Knowing Kings luck there is a real chance that the player we draft doesn’t pan out. I think pick 2 or 3 would be just about perfect.
in Kings land, there are no perfect scenarios and we almost never get what we want. So that means that the Kings will end up drafting 4 or 5.

Haha Doncic is guaranteed top 2 and it won’t be questioned 99% he’s number 1. The only team in the top 7 that goes another way is Phoenix cause they just drafted JJ and need a center
Guaranteed top two? I don't agree. I think your off on teams passing on him. Bagley, Ayton and Porter are all really special talents. I don't see the majority of "experts" thinking he goes one or two. Nbadraft.net currently has him going 7th, not that they know everything but I just don't see people as certain as you on him. Do you watch a lot of his games?

Guaranteed top two? I don't agree. I think your off on teams passing on him. Bagley, Ayton and Porter are all really special talents. I don't see the majority of "experts" thinking he goes one or two. Nbadraft.net currently has him going 7th, not that they know everything but I just don't see people as certain as you on him. Do you watch a lot of his games?
Almost every draft expert out there has Doncic at #1 with a few having him at #2. IMO NBAdraft.net is one of the worst draft sites out there.

Lol nbadraft.net

Anyways you gotta be an utter fool to take Porter top 3 this year with that injury

Almost every draft expert out there has Doncic at #1 with a few having him at #2. IMO NBAdraft.net is one of the worst draft sites out there.
Do you mind sharing some of the “experts” you follow? I’d like to see some more analysis on Donic. Anyone have a good updated mock draft, not one from the beginning of the season?

Do you mind sharing some of the “experts” you follow? I’d like to see some more analysis on Donic. Anyone have a good updated mock draft, not one from the beginning of the season?
I like Cole Zwicker at thestepien.com and Sam Vecenie (The Game Theory Podcast) to name a couple. I used to recommend Draft Express (like both guys there) but I don't subscribe to ESPN.

I like Cole Zwicker at thestepien.com and Sam Vecenie (The Game Theory Podcast) to name a couple. I used to recommend Draft Express (like both guys there) but I don't subscribe to ESPN.
Thanks for sharing. I couldn’t find a date on their big board do you know if that’s from the start of the season or is it current? The reason I ask is he has Bagley as the 7th best prospect, I haven’t seen him that low literally anywhere

I am definitely intrigued with the possibility. I know Ayton = no brainer to most if we choose a big, and with good reason. I am just a little hesitant to add a 250lb center and expect him to keep up with Fox and company. Maybe I am overthinking that aspect of it.
I'm not high on Ayton partially for the reason you brought up. Anyone who is drafted should be nothing short of a high caliber athlete to keep up.

Porter will have an uphill battle to go first or second coming off a season ending injury and not having any college game film. Now that's mitigated a bit by the fact that he's got more HS game tape than almost any other prospect I can think of in the last five years. But unless he's fully healthy for individual workouts I think teams will be wary. I like him for the Kings only because they need a go to scorer, but I have a lot of concerns about his handle, absence of post play and the fact that his go to move is a pull up over his defender. He'll need more tools on the next level to score efficiently.

I love Doncic's game but he is going to have to answer questions about his athleticism and lateral quickness at the next level. Which all comes back to who he guards. Offensively he's a wing that can be played as a PG. But defensively is he quick enough to guard twos or strong enough to guard threes?

All we heard in the run up to the 2009 draft was that it was a two player draft with Blake Griffin and Ricky Rubio sure to go 1 & 2. And Rubio slipped to 5th after Griffin, Thabeet, Harden, and Evans with Curry actually being the best player drafted at 7. Doncic has performed better than Rubio (well, at least offensively) and doesn't have the obvious hole in his game that Rubio had with his poor shooting.

But the point is, I don't know that Doncic is a slam dunk to go first.

I could see Orlando even going after Trae Young #1 if they got that pick. They need that g0 to scorer, they need to space the floor and they know Elfrid Payton isn't their guy. Plus, even with a totally different front office, they could be looking at Hezonja and thinking that their last gamble on a stud international wing didn't pan out. Doncic is a totally different player, but still.

I honestly don't know who I'd take #1 if I were the Kings and I landed that pick. Probably Ayton, though his surprisingly poor rim protection given his tools worries me a lot.

Thanks for sharing. I couldn’t find a date on their big board do you know if that’s from the start of the season or is it current? The reason I ask is he has Bagley as the 7th best prospect, I haven’t seen him that low literally anywhere
They update it fairly regularly. Zwicker isn't as high on Bagley as others are, but he says it is more about potential fit and/or ceiling than his talent. He was on Vecenie's podcast recently where they discussed Bagley extensively.

Porter will have an uphill battle to go first or second coming off a season ending injury and not having any college game film. Now that's mitigated a bit by the fact that he's got more HS game tape than almost any other prospect I can think of in the last five years. But unless he's fully healthy for individual workouts I think teams will be wary. I like him for the Kings only because they need a go to scorer, but I have a lot of concerns about his handle, absence of post play and the fact that his go to move is a pull up over his defender. He'll need more tools on the next level to score efficiently.

I love Doncic's game but he is going to have to answer questions about his athleticism and lateral quickness at the next level. Which all comes back to who he guards. Offensively he's a wing that can be played as a PG. But defensively is he quick enough to guard twos or strong enough to guard threes?

All we heard in the run up to the 2009 draft was that it was a two player draft with Blake Griffin and Ricky Rubio sure to go 1 & 2. And Rubio slipped to 5th after Griffin, Thabeet, Harden, and Evans with Curry actually being the best player drafted at 7. Doncic has performed better than Rubio (well, at least offensively) and doesn't have the obvious hole in his game that Rubio had with his poor shooting.

But the point is, I don't know that Doncic is a slam dunk to go first.

I could see Orlando even going after Trae Young #1 if they got that pick. They need that g0 to scorer, they need to space the floor and they know Elfrid Payton isn't their guy. Plus, even with a totally different front office, they could be looking at Hezonja and thinking that their last gamble on a stud international wing didn't pan out. Doncic is a totally different player, but still.

I honestly don't know who I'd take #1 if I were the Kings and I landed that pick. Probably Ayton, though his surprisingly poor rim protection given his tools worries me a lot.
If Orlando he’s 1 I’m offering our pick (assuming Young is there) and Hield for Doncic. Of course I was laughed st on Orlando’s board when I brought that up

A lot will depend on the medical reports (and workouts) with Porter.
I wouldn’t and don’t think teams will take porter top 3 no matter what the doubters say. It’s not like he was a perfect prospect as is now you add that injury no way you even entertain taking him over Ayton, Doncic, or Bagley.

If Orlando he’s 1 I’m offering our pick (assuming Young is there) and Hield for Doncic. Of course I was laughed st on Orlando’s board when I brought that up
I don't see the Magic trading up to get Young. I think they'd realize that in this draft he's a reach at #1. But he may also be the best fit. That was my only point - that different teams will value guys differently.

Personally I love Mo Bamba. But does he make sense for a Kings team that already has an athletic big man (albeit not the defensive anchor/monster Bamba could be) and really needs scoring and outside shooting?

I wouldn’t and don’t think teams will take porter top 3 no matter what the doubters say. It’s not like he was a perfect prospect as is now you add that injury no way you even entertain taking him over Ayton, Doncic, or Bagley.
My only concern with Bagley (and it's a big one) is that I don't know that he's a good fit in today's NBA. He's too small to play center (which positionally would be the best fit) and he needs to refine his skills (especially perimeter skills) to play PF.

the worst approach the Kings front office can take is drafting based on need and not talent and potential. If they feel Bamba can develop into a stud, then you draft him, no questions asked. The Kings aren't in a position to pass up on talent and the moment they overthink their draft board is the moment they mess it up IMO.
Slow down my friend! I never said anything about picking Bamba over anyone else. Merely wanted to see what everyone thought about him now that some more games have been played.

Slow down my friend! I never said anything about picking Bamba over anyone else. Merely wanted to see what everyone thought about him now that some more games have been played.
I agree with this but let’s look at a guy like Julius Randle. He has no problem at PF and his jumpshot is non existent and is worse than Bagleys right now. He’s still putting up 13-7 that’s with no post moves as well. Now Bagley is an elite level athlete way better than Randle and he’s longer as well. Now add in Bagley does have post moves his left and right hook shots are pretty good. Also starting his drive from the perimeter he will be able to drive by almost every PF and he has a great spin move when he hasn’t beat his man. I’d say his floor is a way better Randle that’s without getting any resembles of a shot. I’d still peg him at 15-8 with solid defense.

I agree with this but let’s look at a guy like Julius Randle. He has no problem at PF and his jumpshot is non existent and is worse than Bagleys right now. He’s still putting up 13-7 that’s with no post moves as well. Now Bagley is an elite level athlete way better than Randle and he’s longer as well. Now add in Bagley does have post moves his left and right hook shots are pretty good. Also starting his drive from the perimeter he will be able to drive by almost every PF and he has a great spin move when he hasn’t beat his man. I’d say his floor is a way better Randle that’s without getting any resembles of a shot. I’d still peg him at 15-8 with solid defense.
While you make good points, I think you might have mistaken my post you quoted for someone else's. Mine was in response to @kingsboi regarding best player available/ choosing for fit. I was pointing out that I had not said I would take Bamba over anyone else per se. Just wanted others opinions on Bamba. :D

My drram scenario start with us landing 1st pick. Orlando at number 3 so we pencil them in takimg Young. Then we trade down to pick 4 or 5 netting a nice haul with a team that wants Ayton.

Ayton has some nice coordination for his size but im very underwhelmed by him not dominating the vastley smaller players and also his poor defensive instincts and lack of foot speed. I dont think he has the aggressive mentality to be a franchise cornerstone.

At number 2 a team will go bagley or doncic.
At 4 or 5 this is where i want kings to take Jackson. He has the mindset and all the pre requisites that i thjnk will allow him to become a number 1 scoring option. He has great defensive instincts and tremendous shot blocker. high level athletic mobility combined with explosivness. With his top level shooting touch he is a perfect complement to other players. Him and WCS would be fantastic defensively and deadly in all sorts of pick n roll type of plays with Bogs and Fox. Floor spacer when other players attack rim or he can attack his defender for a good shot 1v1 if needed. This is the guy i want and if we can trade down and pick up value kn the process that would be my dream.

Bagleys game is more fitting for a C and but he is undersized. To play PF he needs to become a better shooter.

Doncic im concered how good of a 2 way player he can be. In todays game it is essential to have top notch wig defenders. Big risk that he will be a hole at a key defensive spot.

Porter = injury risk.

If we trade back and Jackson is gone, Doncic or Bagley or Porter would be co solation prize.

I'm high on Jackson.

3&D PF with fantastic defense and the chance to grow into a lot more .

Right now both he and Bamba currently have block rates that are better than the freshman block rates of any big man taken in the top 10 in the last decade. If they stay at their current levels they'd both top Anthony Davis who is currently tops.

I have less issues with both of those guys than Ayton, Doncic, Porter, Young or Bagley if only because Bamba and Jackson have games that translate easily and clearly.

Bamba and Jackson seem like nice pieces but I don't know if they're the type that can take us from worst to playoff contention in a couple years. Especially with the way big men are having less and less of an impact on the game.

I really like Jackson and think he's going to be a good player but I don't know if he's who the Kings need to take right now to help turn the franchise around.

Cole Zwicker thought Fox and Maerkanen weren't even in the top 20 of last year's draft. He focuses way too much on stats of 18 year olds and seems to overlook how much guys can improve on their weaknesses. He is knowledgeable but is also flawed. Sam Vecenie and the draftexpress guys I tend to agree with way more.

Bamba and Jackson seem like nice pieces but I don't know if they're the type that can take us from worst to playoff contention in a couple years. Especially with the way big men are having less and less of an impact on the game.

I really like Jackson and think he's going to be a good player but I don't know if he's who the Kings need to take right now to help turn the franchise around.
Agreed, we need a scorer and creator I’d love Bamba or Jackson if we fell too 6 but here my big board

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Young
Jackson
Bamba

Cole Zwicker thought Fox and Maerkanen weren't even in the top 20 of last year's draft. He focuses way too much on stats of 18 year olds and seems to overlook how much guys can improve on their weaknesses. He is knowledgeable but is also flawed. Sam Vecenie and the draftexpress guys I tend to agree with way more.
Did you read the article he put on The Stepien earlier this year about what he has learned about scouting? He did a good job of pointing out his weaknesses. I don't always agree with him, but he at least gives reasons for his point of view. Sam Vecenie usually has Zwicker on his podcast once a week. Always interesting to hear them discuss those they disagree about.

Jackson i think will be included as a creator soon enough. He has shown a great handle with the ball. He presents big problems in how to gaurd him. He can shoot over the top at 40% 3pt range and if you close out or play him tight has the handle to make the defense pay as he blows around any big coming put to gaurd him. I'd be very interested to see what his lateral agility is because i think he has the skills to play SF as well as PF. This is the most all around and versital player in the draft. This guys is just tapping into all he can do and its scary. His natural gifts and INDTINCTS are off the chart on both ends of the court. And his defensive impact needs to be factored in as well. his knack for blocking shots is *special* and is the best indicator for his feel of the game. He is also the youngest of the top guys i believe.

Fox will be our main "creator" followed by Bogs and Mason. We dont need a guy to have the ball dumped into in the post, or a Porter/Gay type pf SF/creator whose strength is mid range pull ups. Alongs with post centric offensive strategies niether approach works well in todays game as evidenced by NO big man (ayton type) led team leading their team to top level of the standings.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I am starting to really wonder how Bamba would fit with our team. He seems to be putting it all together lately, attributing his improved play to the game slowing down and his teammates. His free throw shooting has improved greatly over the last few games.

"I'm just coming into it and being as confident [at the line] as I can be," Bamba said. "Just taking my time and completely resetting. Take a breath and the rest of it is pretty simple."-Bamba ( https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...hamed-bamba-college-game-finally-slowing-down)

His shot blocking is at an elite level, averaging 4.4 blks so far for the season. For a very small 2 game sample size, Jon Rothstein had this to say:

"Mo Bamba's last two games for Texas: 24.5 PPG, 13.5 RPG, 3.5 BPG, 3-3 from three-point range. Quietly going into beast mode. Longhorns have won three of four."

(https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/957588316244897793?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-01-28/texas-mohamed-bamba-college-game-finally-slowing-down)

What are everyone's thoughts on Bamba if he continues improving this season the way he has of late? This pick is going to be a tough one for the front office. SO many good prospects.
I really like Bamba and I think he's put himself into consideration for first overall. It's very close for me at the top right now. Ayton, Doncic, Young and Bagley have all been very impressive but they've also had an occasional off game. None of them has really pulled away from the pack as a clear favorite yet for me. Then you've got Porter who isn't playing and Jackson and Bamba coming on strong as 3 and D bigs. I'm going to echo what funkykingston just said here -- the thought of a legit 3 and D center/PF who can consistently space the floor for you and be a game-changing presence in the post defensively may be too good to pass up. You know exactly who they're going to be in the league and I think both guys are already ahead of where Myles Turner was at the same point developmentally. Considering our woes on both sides of the ball, I'd really have to think long and hard about passing on Bamba or Jackson even for an immense offensive talent like Ayton, Doncic, Porter, Bagley, and Young all appear to be.

But this is a great problem to have! This isn't a year where we're arguing the merits of a half dozen guys who might be All Stars if everything breaks right, the talent at the top this year is as good as it gets. Bamba and Jackson playing their way into consideration for a top 5 pick just makes the embarrassment of riches that much better.