Which potential top 6 pick fits us best?

Which top 6 prospect fits us best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'd rather tier than go straight with numbers. Right now I'm thinking something like:

Tier ?? (They would seem to be top-ten, but I can't evaluate them)
Doncic
Porter

Tier 1
Ayton
Bagley
Jackson

Tier 2
Bamba
Bridges (Miles)

Tier 3
Bridges (Mikal)
Sexton
Young

Might be Tier 3
Carter
Knox
This is the ranking I come closest to agreeing with. I've got Doncic in Tier 1 though and in a close race with Ayton for first overall most likely. I wish it were easier to watch his games, but I've seen enough that I'm reasonably comfortable projecting him as a top of the draft guy. I agree that Bagley and Jackson are right up there with those two in terms of overall potential -- a couple more question marks but I like betting on talent and these guys look pretty special. Bagley is just a born scorer and rebounder. The jumper could be better, I'm not sure what his best position will be but he's got skills every team needs which never go out of fashion. And Jackson is that swiss army knife defender that could single-handily transform a zone defense with his physical gifts and situational awareness.

I don't know where to put Porter right now. I think he's either Tier 1 or Tier 2 because I could see him being the best player in the draft eventually or I could see him settling in as a solid second option and maybe 1 or 2 time All-Star as well. Or there's a small chance he continues to have injury issues that kill his career or maybe he doesn't live up to his high school projections and becomes a roleplayer. He's going to be the toughest guy to project. How a player looks in workouts is not a very good indicator of how they look in a game and all we have to go off with him is high school footage. I think risk factor will probably knock him down a few spots which means some team will either be really happy (Joel Embiid slipping to 3rd overall in 2014) or not so happy (Ben McLemore slipping to 7th in 2013) with their investment. He has the look of a can't fail prospect but nobody is 100% can't fail (as Portland fans know...)

For Tier 2... I really like Bamba once you get past the top 4 guys. He's not setting the college world on fire but the outline of a dominant defender and productive offensive player is there and everything his coaches say about him is very encouraging. He's also such a smart, articulate guy I have a hard time seeing him fail in the NBA. Hassan Whiteside without the knucklehead factor seems like a solid bet to me. A big part of the reason I ranked Myles Turner and Jaylen Brown higher than most is because I think those off-court intangibles matter and both guys have outpaced expectations so I feel pretty confident making the same prediction for Bamba.

I also really like Miles Bridges for reasons I can't exactly explain. He's a little undersized and he hasn't dramatically improved in any area this year (except Free Throw shooting which may or may not be significant) but he also hasn't gotten worse. The hit to rebounds and blocks is entirely attributable to the presence of Jaren Jackson Jr. in the lineup pushing him out to the perimeter more. There's a question of whether he's a true wing player or a tweener who's most likely a small ball 4. I just think he's a fierce competitor and unquestionably an NBA level athlete and I expect his abilities to play up a notch because of his aggressive mentality. He was my sleeper pick last year and he's done nothing this season to discourage that. I like him at Tier 2 with Bamba just above Mikal, Trae, and Collin.

Wendell Carter is pretty solidly in Tier 3 for me and might actually be Tier 2. Kevin Knox isn't on my radar yet. I've somehow managed to miss every Kentucky game so far this season.

so... roughly speaking I guess that would be:

Tier 1 (Very happy to be picking here!)
Doncic
Ayton
Jackson
Bagley

Tier 2 (Not sure I'm getting a franchise guy, but still happy)
Bamba
(Miles) Bridges
Porter?
Carter?

Tier 3 (At the very least, we're getting a solid starter)
(Mikal) Bridges
Sexton
Young

Tier ??
Knox

Last edited:
Question

In todays NBA, is it harder to draft a high level nba wing, gaurd, or big man outside of the top of a draft? This could impact if we go with Porter or Doncic versus Ayton/Jackson/Bagley.

Off top of head, guys like Gobert, myles turner, adams, clint capela, Jokic and a number of others i foget name of are all solid big men but taken later in draft. I know the all star guys are moatly high draft picks, but my point is how big of a drop off is it to find a solid rebounding defensive big later in draft (or through free agency) in a nother year? Would the same consideration show that the odds of getting a solid wing later in draft decreasr significantly where we might want the wing NOW in draft as it will be much harder to fill down the road?
I think you can get a role-player solid defensive big in free agency pretty easily. I mean the Kings even have one on their roster: Kosta Koufos. However, once you are looking for a superstar two-way big guy, there is no chance you will get on in free agency: Think of Embiid, Davis, Porzingis. If you can find a two-way big guy in the draft, your franchise is set-up pretty good. Hence they never reach free agency. Wings are kind of similar, with the small difference that I think role playing wings are more rare because they have to do both: defend and shoot. Its harder to get them in FA. Also, a poor defensive wings can be hidden better than a poor defensive big.
Guards are kind of different it seems. Good defense is just not that important anymore for guards because you can't stop the Currys and Hardens anyway. But if you can find a offensive guard like them, thats pretty valuable.

So my theory is you should try to acquire a two-way superstar wing or two-way superstar big if you can. The problem is I don't there is one of those in this draft. Maybe Jackson If he makes a leap on offense? Maybe Ayton if he figures out defense? But both far from a sure thing. In Aytons case its even more dramatic: If he does not defend its going to be really hard to win for your team.

So then you go to next category which is offensive wing and thats where you end up with Doncic. He could be special on offense and you can hide him on defense. Same goes for Michael Porter though I have more questions about him.

For the Kings it appears they are pretty set at the guard spots but they don't have anyone on the wings. So Doncic and Porter are interesting targets. Bigs are also in question. Maybe Giles can become a two-way player? That would be awesome but how likely is it? So maybe you also look at Jackson/Ayton and try to fill the wing with Hezonja in free agency and target 3&D wings with lower picks.

gunks

Hall of Famer
It would be interesting to hear the opinion of some of you college ball heads on how NCAA Cuz's defense measures up with what Ayton has been doing. Cuz came a long way in that side of the court from his rookie year.

There's also KAT. He was an atrocious defender. This season he's starting to make progress under Thibs.

If given the choice, would it be a safer bet to gamble on players like Ayton/Bagley learning defense, or JJJ/Bamba learning offense (obviously, if given the choice between them you'd take Ayton)?

It's interesting to think about, and will be even more interesting post lotto, when we actually know who we have a shot at.

Its just cool that it's big and wing heavy in the top 10. Gotta love when you can pick for BPA and fit at the same time!

Hes not in the top five conversation, especially seeing we have a bit of a must hit a homerun this year mentality, but the more I have watched of Mikal Bridges the more I like him.
Mikal looks a bit thin and is already 21, but he has a 7'1" WS and from what I can see real good on both ends of the floor. I'll predict that extra college time will give him that Donovan Mitchell edge next year.

addendum: Looking back through this thread I see bajaden has mentioned Mikal. These threads get long and my memory is short, no biggie, I just think he's a player that deserves a look if we fall out of the top 5 or so. Kawhi comparisons are out there for whatever its worth.

Last edited:
I like that he has Bamba at 1. I hope our lottery competition sees it this way.
To be fair Bamba's ceiling is pretty darn high. Defensively, he can be a perennial DPOY type candidate that can anchor team's entire defense.

Offensively he is more of a work in progress but he certainly has the tools to be pretty darn good at that end. He will never be a DMC like at that end (not many players will) but he could be a consistent 18ppg type if all goes well. When you get that with another 12-13rpg and 3-4bpg, you get a pretty special player.

I can't see Bamba being any better than Gobert.

I wouldn't take Bamba at 1 even if I was 100% sure he would turn into Gobert. At 3, 4, 5....yeah maybe if you could guarantee me he would be Gobert. But at 1 I'm going for a true franchise type talent.

I can't see Bamba being any better than Gobert.

I wouldn't take Bamba at 1 even if I was 100% sure he would turn into Gobert. At 3, 4, 5....yeah maybe if you could guarantee me he would be Gobert. But at 1 I'm going for a true franchise type talent.
I wouldn't either, but he does have a high ceiling.

Marvin Bagley Jr has my endorsement. I like his game a lot! He's so springy. He does a great job of securing post position. He has the same physique of De'Aaron Fox, lefty style and hair do. They would great dominating teammates! He can play point forward. He can be outstanding in transition. I think his shot will come around. There is a versatility there that will be perfect for the pros with Bagley. He's going to be too quick for big forwards and too long for small forwards.

I have NO interest in Mikal Bridges, Michael Porter Jr, Trae Young. Just no. Mikal Bridges doesn't have enough burst. Mo Bamba I would take in a heartbeat and bid Willie farewell. Mo Bamba is underrated. Very coordinated and aggressive. Mo Bamba is well ahead of Rudy Gobert at same stage. Jaren Jackson is too frail and limited. Give me a break. So this draft is not hard. Fans want to make it hard. Its not hard.

The Big 5:
Ayton
Doncic
Mo Bamba
Bagley Jr
Miles Bridges

Doncic has a prettiest shot in history and he has a good physique for being so young. He also fills our greatest need. I just wonder if he will help our defense? But off the video Doncic looks like he is a legit 6'8" and maybe still growing. But what we cannot do is draft players who will do nothing to correct our sorry defense which is one reason why guys like Young and Porter Jr are automatic nos. And projects like Jackson are easily dismissed.

The Suns and Grizzlies have out-tanked us. But besides that we are in good shape to finish with third worst record allowing us to secure one of the Big 5. Miles Bridges is going to be great in the pros. He can play bully ball shoot the easy three or pull up He shoots left and drives and dunks right. This is special. This will keep defenses off-balance. I wish he was a little longer but he's going to be very tough cover.

So if we can secure the third worst record the odds we will be in the Top 5 will be like 90% I think. This is what I will be rooting for between now and end of the season so we are guaranteed one of these guys. I do NOT want anything to do with the 6th pick or lower! We have suffered long enough and need a Top 5 pick! #1 would be preferable thank you kindly! :p

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Can you post it? The team that takes Sexton over You g will be fired shortly if we didn’t have Fox I’d be all over Young
I'm not sure it's that obvious actually. I really like Sexton. His freshman season has been overshadowed by some historically great seasons (including Trae Young's) but he's a solid overall prospect who's got a good chance to be a starter in the NBA for a long time. Does that make him worthy of being picked before Trae Young? Probably not for most.... but there's some boom or bust with Young. Not bust in the sense that he'll be out of the league in a few years but bust in the sense that maybe you're getting an Isaiah Thomas type scoring guard who only helps you on one end of the floor. IT is a special talent with the ball in his hands who was third in the league in PPG last year but he's also ping-ponged around the league as the teams that had him have all ultimately decided they were better off with a lesser scoring threat who spreads the ball around a little more and fits better into the team defensive concept.

Young has better size and more natural playmaking instincts than Isaiah but I'd be nervous about turning my team over to him for many of the same reasons we moved on from IT. He's going to dominate the offense every minute he's on the floor and you really have to be okay with that to make him a top 5 pick. The counter-argument is that Steph Curry was seen as a liability on defense coming out of college too and he's developed into a pretty good defender and the type of unlimited range Trae Young has is the closest thing to a Steph Curry clone that we've seen so far. I'd probably roll the dice on Young too and take my chances because the talent is undeniable but deep down I feel like Sexton is probably the safer pick.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Can you post it? The team that takes Sexton over You g will be fired shortly if we didn’t have Fox I’d be all over Young
I'm not sure I'm supposed to post their list or not per forum rules but I think it's
Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Jackson jr
Sexton
Porter jr
Young
Bamba
Miles Bridges
Carter jr

Had us taking Trae Young at 7 so not so sure it was team specific as much as player ranked and here's where teams are ranked

I'm warming up to Bamba. I understand that he is an extremely bright kid that even had ivy league offers. That translates in my opinion. Jaylen Brown was at the top of my 2016 draft, also very smart with many interest outside of basketball.
I guess I had Bamba low as I kept hearing about his lack of an offensive game.

As I'm watching more and more film two tiers are starting to form for me:

Tier 1:
Ayton
Doncic

Tier 2:
Everyone else

I'm just not seeing a lot separating 3-10 from a talent perspective, which is a good and bad thing at the same time. Mikal Bridges for example is rising up my board quickly. He has a great physical profile, amazing length and athleticism, he's an impressive spot up and off the bounce shooter/scorer and he plays both ends of the court. And he's improved significantly pretty much every season playing under a great program.

Even more impressive though is this:

2016-2017: 6 FGA/game 15% USG, 15% TOV, 67% TS
2017-2018: 12 FGA/game 23% USG, 9% TOV, 64% TS

That's proven growth of him as an offensive player. The fact that he basically went from a quality role player who probably needed more shots to actually showing he can be a lead offensive weapon for one of the best teams in college is really rare to see.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Marvin Bagley Jr has my endorsement. I like his game a lot! He's so springy. He does a great job of securing post position. He has the same physique of De'Aaron Fox, lefty style and hair do. They would great dominating teammates! He can play point forward. He can be outstanding in transition. I think his shot will come around. There is a versatility there that will be perfect for the pros with Bagley. He's going to be too quick for big forwards and too long for small forwards.

I have NO interest in Mikal Bridges, Michael Porter Jr, Trae Young. Just no. Mikal Bridges doesn't have enough burst. Mo Bamba I would take in a heartbeat and bid Willie farewell. Mo Bamba is underrated. Very coordinated and aggressive. Mo Bamba is well ahead of Rudy Gobert at same stage. Jaren Jackson is too frail and limited. Give me a break. So this draft is not hard. Fans want to make it hard. Its not hard.

The Big 5:
Ayton
Doncic
Mo Bamba
Bagley Jr
Miles Bridges

Doncic has a prettiest shot in history and he has a good physique for being so young. He also fills our greatest need. I just wonder if he will help our defense? But off the video Doncic looks like he is a legit 6'8" and maybe still growing. But what we cannot do is draft players who will do nothing to correct our sorry defense which is one reason why guys like Young and Porter Jr are automatic nos. And projects like Jackson are easily dismissed.

The Suns and Grizzlies have out-tanked us. But besides that we are in good shape to finish with third worst record allowing us to secure one of the Big 5. Miles Bridges is going to be great in the pros. He can play bully ball shoot the easy three or pull up He shoots left and drives and dunks right. This is special. This will keep defenses off-balance. I wish he was a little longer but he's going to be very tough cover.

So if we can secure the third worst record the odds we will be in the Top 5 will be like 90% I think. This is what I will be rooting for between now and end of the season so we are guaranteed one of these guys. I do NOT want anything to do with the 6th pick or lower! We have suffered long enough and need a Top 5 pick! #1 would be preferable thank you kindly! :p
Could you elaborate on why Jaren Jackson Jr. isn't on your radar? I agree with your top picks otherwise (and I'm still undecided on Porter) but to dismiss a guy most see as a top 3 player in the draft as "too frail and limited" without further comment seems odd from you. Maybe you talked about him more in other posts that I missed.

It took me awhile to buy into the Jackson hype, but this is what I see now: As a Freshman he's got a 14.5% block percentage and a .654 TS% which includes 39.6% on 96 3pt attempts. You couldn't invent a more perfect 7 footer for the current NBA. He's not just a statistical wonder either -- he displays exceptional awareness and mobility on the defensive end. He's not a traditional center like Bamba or Ayton -- he's going to spend a lot more time out on the perimeter. But wouldn't you say the same thing about Bagley? His reach and anticipation when combined with his ability to move his feet means he's a threat to block shots all over the floor.

You called him frail but he's listed at 6'11" 242lbs which is close to Ayton's listed weight of 250 and well above Bamba's 225. Sure he doesn't have a complete offensive game yet but I think he's in the same class as Bagley and Bamba there as a developing offensive talent with some exceptional tools to work with. His production has taken a dip the last couple weeks and his overall board-work needs improvement (just 6 double digit rebounding games this season) but when you're talking about a guy who is at the top of the board in every defensive metric, surely the overall package still merits consideration in the top 5?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Early on in the season before top 3-5 was looking like a lock, I was down with picking Bamba.

Now that top 3-5 no longer looks like a lock, I'm coming around to him again.

The we can "free Willie" if Giles is all that.

As I'm watching more and more film two tiers are starting to form for me:

Tier 1:
Ayton
Doncic

Tier 2:
Everyone else

I'm just not seeing a lot separating 3-10 from a talent perspective, which is a good and bad thing at the same time. Mikal Bridges for example is rising up my board quickly. He has a great physical profile, amazing length and athleticism, he's an impressive spot up and off the bounce shooter/scorer and he plays both ends of the court. And he's improved significantly pretty much every season playing under a great program.

Even more impressive though is this:

2016-2017: 6 FGA/game 15% USG, 15% TOV, 67% TS
2017-2018: 12 FGA/game 23% USG, 9% TOV, 64% TS

That's proven growth of him as an offensive player. The fact that he basically went from a quality role player who probably needed more h shots to actually showing he can be a lead offensive weapon for one of the best teams in college is really rare to see.
Mikail Bridges is okay but let's not get too worked up. He's not a "fast twitch" athlete if that makes sense. I don't see it. I see a guy with really long arms and molasses moves.

Why do we want this kid when we have Buddy and Boggy? No thanks! We need a wing who can slide down a play the big forward spot like Doncic or Marvin Bagley!

It is so obvious.....let's go Kings fans step up your game and cross the pretenders and wannabes off your draft list! :p

MIkail Bridges may turn out to be a fine player but we can do better! For starters how about Miles Bridges!

There's NO player in the NCAA or NBA looking forward to guarding Miles Bridges.

The guy is super physical and strong who will command his space and push you out of the way to get where he wants to go. He can shoot he can go left and go right to rise and dunk.

There are 5% of players or less who finish at the rim with their opposite hand. This is highly unorthodox and troublesome to opposition. This is good for the team who acquires him.

Miles Bridges has the the traits in the realm of James Harden and pre-injury Blake Griffin.

This is the type of player who can reverse our sad fortunes. Now I am not tied to this guy. He's just a player not getting his due pub.

Mo Bamba may turn out to be the best player in the draft. The guy is highly skilled for someone of such incredible length.

Allegedly he is smart too and this is a definite plus. You cannot go wrong with Mo Bamba. He's an obvious choice in the 3 to 5 range for us to replace Willie Cauley Stagnant.

Marvin Bagley Jr is another eye-popping prospect.

I like a player who projects as capable of playing three positions!!!! Who cannot be enticed by a guy who can play small forward power forward and center, especially on a Kings team deficient in all three positions!!!

Why are Kings fans talking about "bums" like Jaren Jackson and Mikail Bridges when a player like Marvin Bagley is SO fitting of our needs with the skills to be All-Star caliber for the next decade!

The draft is NOT hard. But when I read these threads I see a lot of confusion! I am here to clear the confusion and provide illumination. Listen to Blob. He shall guide you to the light. :cool:

The Big 5:
Ayton
Doncic
Mo Bamba
Bagley Jr
Miles Bridges

Since we still play almost every tank team left our destiny is in our hands so to speak. But if Skal keeps playing like against the Knicks you may be hoping for a shot at Jackson or Mikal Bridges or Porter Jr.

The draft is NOT hard. But when I read these threads I see a lot of confusion! I am here to clear the confusion and provide illumination. Listen to Blob. He shall guide you to the light. :cool:
Coming from the guy who wrote off Ball & Tatum before the draft. Whoops!

As much as I hate the Lakers, Ball has looked good since the beginning of December and Tatum doesn't need any explaining.

1520390047027.png

Since we still play almost every tank team left our destiny is in our hands so to speak. But if Skal keeps playing like against the Knicks you may be hoping for a shot at Jackson or Mikal Bridges or Porter Jr.
Exactly. I'm sure most of us have Bagley in top 5 consideration, it's the fact that we are likely playing ourselves out of that position that we are talking of Mikals and such.
Fortunately this is looking like a strong draft. I have my two favorites, Ayton and Donic but there area number of guys that I will be OK with.

When people say Bamba will have trouble scoring in the NBA, this is what comes to mind:

View attachment 7390
View attachment 7391

Ain't nobody blocking that. :)
Lol. Now does he jump this high or is he using defender for extra lift?

Bamba has been growing on me as season contiues. I wrote him off early as a slow footed weak center that collected blocks due to exceptional length that would huck up 3pts at a 20% clip. The Next Thabeet. Im happy to see he is much more coordinated and skilled than i gave him created for and i had him all wrong. Another great prospect that id be happy to see n a kings uniform

Last edited:
Mikail Bridges is okay but let's not get too worked up. He's not a "fast twitch" athlete if that makes sense. I don't see it. I see a guy with really long arms and molasses moves.

Why do we want this kid when we have Buddy and Boggy? No thanks! We need a wing who can slide down a play the big forward spot like Doncic or Marvin Bagley!

It is so obvious.....let's go Kings fans step up your game and cross the pretenders and wannabes off your draft list! :p

MIkail Bridges may turn out to be a fine player but we can do better! For starters how about Miles Bridges!

There's NO player in the NCAA or NBA looking forward to guarding Miles Bridges.

The guy is super physical and strong who will command his space and push you out of the way to get where he wants to go. He can shoot he can go left and go right to rise and dunk.

There are 5% of players or less who finish at the rim with their opposite hand. This is highly unorthodox and troublesome to opposition. This is good for the team who acquires him.

Miles Bridges has the the traits in the realm of James Harden and pre-injury Blake Griffin.

This is the type of player who can reverse our sad fortunes. Now I am not tied to this guy. He's just a player not getting his due pub.

Mo Bamba may turn out to be the best player in the draft. The guy is highly skilled for someone of such incredible length.

Allegedly he is smart too and this is a definite plus. You cannot go wrong with Mo Bamba. He's an obvious choice in the 3 to 5 range for us to replace Willie Cauley Stagnant.

Marvin Bagley Jr is another eye-popping prospect.

I like a player who projects as capable of playing three positions!!!! Who cannot be enticed by a guy who can play small forward power forward and center, especially on a Kings team deficient in all three positions!!!

Why are Kings fans talking about "bums" like Jaren Jackson and Mikail Bridges when a player like Marvin Bagley is SO fitting of our needs with the skills to be All-Star caliber for the next decade!

No it doesn't. I don't see any athleticism concerns with Mikal. He's a "Smooth" athlete in the vein of a Rudy Gay/Kawhi/Paul Pierce/Harden where it really doesn't look they're moving that quick or "athletically" but they get off any shot they want at any time.

I just really like the intangibles he brings and how his physical profile is an absolutely ideal fit in the new NBA. He's improved his body every year and gotten stronger, he's added more and more offensive moves, he has a knock-down shot. And he's a game-changer on defense with his incredible length. I guess you can say he has a "lower" ceiling than the younger guys up top, but he's someone I'm confident in that can be a really good player on both ends of the court. Doesn't hurt either he'd immediately slot in perfectly with our current core and add another lethal floor spacer next to Fox and Bogie while finally giving us a real wing defender that we've needed for the longest time.

1. Ayton
2. Doncic
3. Bagley
4. Jackson Jr
5. Porter
6. Mikal Bridges
7. Bamba
8. Miles Bridges
9. Wendell Carter
10. Trae Young

This is my Kings-centric big board right now. I'm also getting to the point where I'd be more than willing to flip WCS+ (2nd round pick? JJ?) if we can sneak back into the top 10 and pick up one of the Bridges, Carter or Bamba. Used to think this was just a 5 person draft a couple months back, but really starting to like the 6-10 guys just as much as the 3-5 guys.