2018 draft fits with this team

Kings only need to have a mini winning streak. Last year winning 5 of the last 10. Kings will be looking at Bridges or Bamba, instead.
We are heading this way...

It is cause for concern. We need a top 3 pick. We did not trade cousins to extend our run at mediocrity by taking mid tier draft picks. There is a strong top of this draft and we better be there

Man I'm really falling in love with Jackson, but at the same time, I question the franchise player potential.

Does anybody else see a little Jonathan Isaac in Jackson? Might just be me...
I've seen that comp come up before somewhere, although I forgot exactly where. Isaac was a really interesting prospect. In his first 5 games or so, I had him penciled in as a SF...until I watched more and more games and realized that he's not quick enough nor does he have the ball handling to be a SF.

Talking an Isaac-JJJ comparison, I could kinda see it, but not really. JJJ is more stronger and has a better frame than Isaac. I think he'll project as a much better post defender solely because of this. He's a better rim protector and rebounder. On the other end, I don't think he's as good of a scorer. His ball handling looks limited. It might be Izzo preventing him from having a bigger scoring role, but I don't think his handles are as good as Isaacs.

In general, I don't see a lot of parallels aside from being projected as good defenders and 3pt shooting ability.

Orlando is check teams interest in Arron Gordon and I’d give up anybody but Fox-Bogdan to get him.

Skal-Buddy get it done I’d do it he’s at 18-8 this year and would fit with WCS and that tradition offense of Gordon-Fox-WCS would sell out Golden 1. And he’s only 22

I’d do Skal-Buddy-KK
For
Gordon and Biyombo

Orlando is check teams interest in Arron Gordon and I’d give up anybody but Fox-Bogdan to get him.

Skal-Buddy get it done I’d do it he’s at 18-8 this year and would fit with WCS and that tradition offense of Gordon-Fox-WCS would sell out Golden 1. And he’s only 22

I’d do Skal-Buddy-KK
For
Gordon and Biyombo
Why would Orlando do that?!

I’d do Skal-Buddy-KK
For
Gordon and Biyombo
I could see them taking that deal if they feel Isaac is going to slot in at SF with Skal at PF. Buddy adds a running partner for Payton (unless they go for Trae Young), which might mean they look at one of the top center prospects. However, they would have to believe that Buddy and Skal are going to be part of their long term plan and personally I think they'd want more for Gordon than that deal offers.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not sure what the love for Gordon is based on. The dude has been a terrible shooter since college, and after getting off to a decent to good start this season from the three, he's shooting 20% from there in his last 10 games and 28.8% from the three in his last 20 games. So this idea that he's the prototypical stretch four just isn't true. His great start is nothing more than a glitch. He's a decent rebounder, and a decent to good defender, but my god, I'm not giving up the bank to get him. Does anyone think that Gordon is a starter on a good competing team? On a championship team? The answer is no to both those questions for me. Gordon is only shooting 44.7% overall, which is terrible for a big man. For example, Willie is right at 50% overall. Gordon is averaging 7 more minutes and 5 more shots a game than Willie, but other than points per game, he's not significantly better in any area than Willie, who is in his third year while Gordon is in his fourth year.

I realize they don't play the same position, but with people bitching about Willie, how long would it be before their calling for Gordon's head when he pumping out his 5 three pt attempts a game and only making one of them. Gordon isn't an upgrade, and with Giles ready to play next season, why would we trade for him?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Gordan looks like a little smaller Blake Grifffin. Id excange skall and buddy for him in a heartbeat
You go and watch five games with Gordon and then come back and tell me you still want to trade Buddy and Skal for him. There's perception, and there's reality. And the reality is, Gordon isn't that good. I'm not saying that Skal and Buddy are either, but if you went around the league and asked about them, I think you'd find that the perception of Buddy and Skal is better than Gordon's. The reason is that the jury is still out on both of them, and most people have their minds made up about Gordon. The truth is, he's hasn't significantly improved since he entered the NBA, and this is his 4th year.

You go and watch five games with Gordon and then come back and tell me you still want to trade Buddy and Skal for him. There's perception, and there's reality. And the reality is, Gordon isn't that good. I'm not saying that Skal and Buddy are either, but if you went around the league and asked about them, I think you'd find that the perception of Buddy and Skal is better than Gordon's. The reason is that the jury is still out on both of them, and most people have their minds made up about Gordon. The truth is, he's hasn't significantly improved since he entered the NBA, and this is his 4th year.
I'm taken back by your comments regarding Gordon. I've actually watched a decent amount of Orlando games, and I completely disagree with most of what you said about him. However, since you did mention his stats..let's bring them up.

The truth is, he's hasn't significantly improved since he entered the NBA, and this is his 4th year.
This is incorrect. Compare Gordon's number head to head in his rookie year to his 4th year.
  1. 17mins: 5.2pts 3.6rebs 0.7asts 0.5blks 0.4stls 0.8tos
    1. 44.7% FG/ 27.1% 3pt / 72.1% FT
  2. 34mins: 18.4pts 8.3rebs 2.2asts 0.7blks 0.9stls 1.9tos
    1. 44.7%FG/ 34.6% 3pt/ 71.8% FT
He has massively improved in his scoring ability. It's not just having more opportunity. He's gradually improved in all 4 years. These are things that show that it's not just a fluke.

The dude has been a terrible shooter since college, and after getting off to a decent to good start this season from the three, he's shooting 20% from there in his last 10 games and 28.8% from the three in his last 20 games.
Gordon has been dealing with injuries this year. Concussion that kept him out 2 games early in December. Then he came back for 1 game, but injured his calf. Took him out 5 games. His shooting struggles came after that. He played in 26 games before his calf injury. He shot the 3ball at 40%. In the 14 games after his injury, he's only shot it at 26.4%. He also has an overall FG% of 38.7. He's been struggling on his overall game, not just shooting the 3pt alone. This leads me to think that the injuries are lingering him.

While you might disagree, it's a possible explanation that makes a lot more sense than him being a poor shooter that just got lucky in those 25 games. Another thing to keep in mind is that he's actually started to create shots off the dribble. The 3s aren't just coming off catch and shoot. In fact, I'll compare him to other stretch 4s. Look at their unassisted/assisted 3pters made, compared to Gordon's.

Gordon: 14 unassisted/ 65 assisted
K-Love: 3 unassisted/ 102 assisted
Williams: 1 unassisted/ 78 assisted
Markkanen: 3unassisted/ 106 assisted
Ibaka: 4unassisted/ 60assisted

He's taken and made more 3s off the dribble than most stretch 4s. This is another possible explanation for his lowered 3pt% along with the injuries.

Gordon is only shooting 44.7% overall, which is terrible for a big man. For example, Willie is right at 50% overall. Gordon is averaging 7 more minutes and 5 more shots a game than Willie,
His fg% is lowered by his 3pt%. Compare their 2pt FG% head to head.
Gordon: 51.1%
WCS: 50.6%

Not sure what metric you're using, but 44.7% is not terrible for a stretch 4. Let's compare him to others.
Horford: 50.6
Griffin: 44.2
Porzingis: 43.6

Williams: 47.7
Mirotic: 47.7
Markkanen: 43
Love: 46.3
Saric: 44.2
Green: 45.6

I just can't agree with this opinion:
Does anyone think that Gordon is a starter on a good competing team? On a championship team? The answer is no to both those questions for me.
Not specifically here, but I've seen a ton of Kings fans inaccurately portray Gordon as a bad young player. He's far from that and I wanted to go against that negative grain. If anything, he might be a young inconsistent player, but 18/8/2asts on respectable shooting percentages is more than bad or whatever for a 22yearold. He's 2 years younger than WCS and Buddy. If they were putting up 18pts now at 24yearsold, we'd all be ecstatic.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm taken back by your comments regarding Gordon. I've actually watched a decent amount of Orlando games, and I completely disagree with most of what you said about him. However, since you did mention his stats..let's bring them up.

This is incorrect. Compare Gordon's number head to head in his rookie year to his 4th year.
  1. 17mins: 5.2pts 3.6rebs 0.7asts 0.5blks 0.4stls 0.8tos
    1. 44.7% FG/ 27.1% 3pt / 72.1% FT
  2. 34mins: 18.4pts 8.3rebs 2.2asts 0.7blks 0.9stls 1.9tos
    1. 44.7%FG/ 34.6% 3pt/ 71.8% FT
He has massively improved in his scoring ability. It's not just having more opportunity. He's gradually improved in all 4 years. These are things that show that it's not just a fluke.

Gordon has been dealing with injuries this year. Concussion that kept him out 2 games early in December. Then he came back for 1 game, but injured his calf. Took him out 5 games. His shooting struggles came after that. He played in 26 games before his calf injury. He shot the 3ball at 40%. In the 14 games after his injury, he's only shot it at 26.4%. He also has an overall FG% of 38.7. He's been struggling on his overall game, not just shooting the 3pt alone. This leads me to think that the injuries are lingering him.

While you might disagree, it's a possible explanation that makes a lot more sense than him being a poor shooter that just got lucky in those 25 games. Another thing to keep in mind is that he's actually started to create shots off the dribble. The 3s aren't just coming off catch and shoot. In fact, I'll compare him to other stretch 4s. Look at their unassisted/assisted 3pters made, compared to Gordon's.

Gordon: 14 unassisted/ 65 assisted
K-Love: 3 unassisted/ 102 assisted
Williams: 1 unassisted/ 78 assisted
Markkanen: 3unassisted/ 106 assisted
Ibaka: 4unassisted/ 60assisted

He's taken and made more 3s off the dribble than most stretch 4s. This is another possible explanation for his lowered 3pt% along with the injuries.

His fg% is lowered by his 3pt%. Compare their 2pt FG% head to head.
Gordon: 51.1%
WCS: 50.6%

Not sure what metric you're using, but 44.7% is not terrible for a stretch 4. Let's compare him to others.
Horford: 50.6

Griffin: 44.2
Porzingis: 43.6

Williams: 47.7
Mirotic: 47.7
Markkanen: 43
Love: 46.3
Saric: 44.2
Green: 45.6

I just can't agree with this opinion:

Not specifically here, but I've seen a ton of Kings fans inaccurately portray Gordon as a bad young player. He's far from that and I wanted to go against that negative grain. If anything, he might be a young inconsistent player, but 18/8/2asts on respectable shooting percentages is more than bad or whatever for a 22yearold. He's 2 years younger than WCS and Buddy. If they were putting up 18pts now at 24yearsold, we'd all be ecstatic.
I'm not going to argue with you. I've watched Gordon play for about 5 years now, including college, and I don't see a significant difference in his skill level. To call a player that has shot around 29% from the three for his career a stretch four is an insult to all the legit stretch fours out there. Your looking at points scored and calling that an improvement. I look at his efficiency, and I don't see it. His first year in the league he shot 44.7% overall, and this year, he's shooting 44.7% so far. I don't see an improvement there. The two years between he shot 47.3% (his best year) and 45.4%. Right now, he's shooting 34.6% from the three, and that's the first time in his career he's been over 30% from the three. And as I pointed out, in his last 20 games, he's reverted back to under 30%. If you look at his rebounding, on the surface it looks like a big improvement from 3.6 to 8.3. But if you look at his per 36 numbers per year they aren't quite as impressive. 7.6 - 9.8 - 6.3 - 8.8. Once again, his 2nd year was his best.

The main thing that's improved are his minutes, and his shot attempts. His efficiency hasn't improved much for being in his 4th year in the league. And frankly, talking about age is meaningless to me. I go by how many years of NBA experience a player has had, and what the rate of improvement is. Now lets be clear. I'm not saying that Gordon is a bad player, but I'am saying that he's certainly not worth giving up Skal and Buddy up for, especially with Giles sitting in the wings. My final question was, do you see Gordon being a starter on a championship competitive team? I ask, because that's the kind of player we should be looking for. For Instance, if I were to answer that same question about Rodney Hood, my answer would be yes. My answer for Gordon would be no.

So Jackson is still doing this and had 7 blocks again

https://mobile.twitter.com/bigtennetwork/status/959963686252118017?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^ios|twgr^other|twcon^7100|twterm^0

Dude is an all nba defender shooting 3s and driving to the basket espn has moved him to 5
For me, he’s so close to Ayton. Here’s the deal, bigs have to defend, shoot, and handle (at least a little bit) now. It’s hard to afford a dominant big, that you have to run the offense through as a max contract, if he cannot anchor the defense. The days of a defensive big paired with an offensive big are gone, unless both can shoot lights out. I’m real curious to see what he does in workouts. Izzo is kind of light on championships and is gunning for one this year. I think most other coaches would have turned Jackson loose already. The fact that some people still have Bamba ahead of Jackson is crazy.

For me, he’s so close to Ayton. Here’s the deal, bigs have to defend, shoot, and handle (at least a little bit) now. It’s hard to afford a dominant big, that you have to run the offense through as a max contract, if he cannot anchor the defense. The days of a defensive big paired with an offensive big are gone, unless both can shoot lights out. I’m real curious to see what he does in workouts. Izzo is kind of light on championships and is gunning for one this year. I think most other coaches would have turned Jackson loose already. The fact that some people still have Bamba ahead of Jackson is crazy.
Ya I agree and that one move he made earlier where he dribbled between his legs and crossed over than went to the basket sold me. You add that to a very good shoot and he’ll score in the league with space. 18 year olds aren’t suppose to have his defensive instincts you don’t teach that

If Doncic and Jared Jackson are both on the board can Vlade resist the urge to pick the euro? I'll be sweating bullets if that were the case. Not anti Docic but just feel Jared is the right pick.

Right now, I think the top 3 are likely Doncic, Ayton and Jackson. Don't know what order.
I think Doncic will fall out of the top 3 if it's anyone. He's a stud in many areas, but you really have to worry about that athleticism. It's going to be near impossible for him to stay in front of anyone defensively in the NBA. I still think he doesn't slip past 5.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Doncic is falling out the top 3 it’ll be Bagley
Maybe you've explained and I missed it, but why do you think Doncic is falling out of the top three? Is it just a gut feeling, or do you have some sources? I listen to every podcast out there by so called people in the know, and almost every single one of them has Doncic at number one. Personally, I hope your right. That would give us a better chance of snagging him.

Ya I agree and that one move he made earlier where he dribbled between his legs and crossed over than went to the basket sold me. You add that to a very good shoot and he’ll score in the league with space. 18 year olds aren’t suppose to have his defensive instincts you don’t teach that
So here's my thing with Jaren Jackson, especially if we get in the top 3. I'm pretty damn confident I'm getting at the very least, a very strong #2 option out of Doncic, Ayton and Bagley. All of whom have the upside to be among the best offensive players in the NBA.

I'm just not sure if JJ is that guy at the next level. I love the intensity, I love the defensive principles, I love the physical profile, I love the sweet shot. But would you be confident he becomes an elite offensive player at the next level? Because that's what you're passing on if you take him above Doncic/Ayton/Bagley

Maybe you've explained and I missed it, but why do you think Doncic is falling out of the top three? Is it just a gut feeling, or do you have some sources? I listen to every podcast out there by so called people in the know, and almost every single one of them has Doncic at number one. Personally, I hope your right. That would give us a better chance of snagging him.
My bad I meant isn’t there no way possible he’s falling out absolutely none

So here's my thing with Jaren Jackson, especially if we get in the top 3. I'm pretty damn confident I'm getting at the very least, a very strong #2 option out of Doncic, Ayton and Bagley. All of whom have the upside to be among the best offensive players in the NBA.

I'm just not sure if JJ is that guy at the next level. I love the intensity, I love the defensive principles, I love the physical profile, I love the sweet shot. But would you be confident he becomes an elite offensive player at the next level? Because that's what you're passing on if you take him above Doncic/Ayton/Bagley
I’m not taking him over those 3 guys either and I’ll add in Porter to that as well