2018 draft fits with this team

I really like Bamba and I think he's put himself into consideration for first overall. It's very close for me at the top right now. Ayton, Doncic, Young and Bagley have all been very impressive but they've also had an occasional off game. None of them has really pulled away from the pack as a clear favorite yet for me. Then you've got Porter who isn't playing and Jackson and Bamba coming on strong as 3 and D bigs. I'm going to echo what funkykingston just said here -- the thought of a legit 3 and D center/PF who can consistently space the floor for you and be a game-changing presence in the post defensively may be too good to pass up. You know exactly who they're going to be in the league and I think both guys are already ahead of where Myles Turner was at the same point developmentally. Considering our woes on both sides of the ball, I'd really have to think long and hard about passing on Bamba or Jackson even for an immense offensive talent like Ayton, Doncic, Porter, Bagley, and Young all appear to be.

But this is a great problem to have! This isn't a year where we're arguing the merits of a half dozen guys who might be All Stars if everything breaks right, the talent at the top this year is as good as it gets. Bamba and Jackson playing their way into consideration for a top 5 pick just makes the embarrassment of riches that much better.
Is Bamba able to get out on the perimeter in Pick and Roll defense? This is why Jackson i think is a notch above as he can move his feet on perimeter like WCS guarding the line and able to recover. Bamba im afraid once he is out of the paint will get blown by?

I'm not high on Ayton partially for the reason you brought up. Anyone who is drafted should be nothing short of a high caliber athlete to keep up.
Ayton is an absolute freak athlete, he's not going to have issues keeping up with anyone. I still don't think people realise what they are watching in Ayton. He can absolutely challenge for the title of best big man in the NBA in a few years, and he has the skills to play the "modern" game if that's what you're looking for.

Jackson i think will be included as a creator soon enough. He has shown a great handle with the ball. He presents big problems in how to gaurd him. He can shoot over the top at 40% 3pt range and if you close out or play him tight has the handle to make the defense pay as he blows around any big coming put to gaurd him. I'd be very interested to see what his lateral agility is because i think he has the skills to play SF as well as PF. This is the most all around and versital player in the draft. This guys is just tapping into all he can do and its scary. His natural gifts and INDTINCTS are off the chart on both ends of the court. And his defensive impact needs to be factored in as well. his knack for blocking shots is *special* and is the best indicator for his feel of the game. He is also the youngest of the top guys i believe.

Fox will be our main "creator" followed by Bogs and Mason. We dont need a guy to have the ball dumped into in the post, or a Porter/Gay type pf SF/creator whose strength is mid range pull ups. Alongs with post centric offensive strategies niether approach works well in todays game as evidenced by NO big man (ayton type) led team leading their team to top level of the standings.
You're a lot higher on Jackson's offensive prowess than I am. I'm not seeing tight handles or creative abilities or anything like that at the moment. I'm thinking more of a Clint Capela with better shot blocking abilities and the ability to shoot the ball from all over the court. He's kind of in his own category at the moment because I can't really think of a player out there that can do what he can do but I don't see him being a 20ppg guy in the NBA. He seems more like a complimentary player to a franchise player rather than the franchise player. I would bet a lot of money that we don't have a franchise player on this team already. I'd rather use what should be our highest pick in years to go after a true franchise player.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Is Bamba able to get out on the perimeter in Pick and Roll defense? This is why Jackson i think is a notch above as he can move his feet on perimeter like WCS guarding the line and able to recover. Bamba im afraid once he is out of the paint will get blown by?
If you watch Texas, I think Bamba actually does a really good job of getting out on the perimeter and contesting. He's not a plodding big, he's pretty mobile. And because of his massive wingspan he doesn't have to recover all the way to the basket to block a shot -- even when he's a step behind the ball-handler he's able to reach out there and disrupt an easy shot. There have been a couple of good articles about his progress this year which I unfortunately didn't bookmark but you can probably find them pretty easily. I'm not taking anything away from Jaren Jackson Jr. -- he's been a huge presence on defense for Michigan State. Both guys are way up there for me because of that defensive potential. There's nothing but tough choices here. I wish we could draft all of them!

While I love Fox's potential as a scorer, I think this team is in a big need of a go to scorer....the alpha dog on the offensive end. From that perspective, I think the best fits for the Kings would be Ayton and Porter (if he is healthy) but none are a given. Doncic is the best all around player but I am not sure that he is a go to scorer in the NBA. A special talent no doubt.

if Kings go with a big, then that young man must be a scorer. All the bigs that we have are not go to guys. WCS is not someone who can lead a play off team in scoring. Giles doesn't appear to be that guy either. Skal can score but I wouldn't call him the go to guy.

I personally like the balance that Ayton would bring to the team. He would add a different aspect to our big men which means that someone else would have to make way eventually. I could see Fox and Ayton forming the long term foundations for this team. Throw in Bogdan and its not a bad 3 to start with.

Ayton gives us a boost in two areas straight away. He would bring the scoring ability and potential to be the go to scorer and he would improve our rebounding significantly. I see Ayton and Fox both developing jumpers and becoming good shooters in time eliminating the spacing concerns.

I would also be cool with Doncic. I wouldn't mind Porter if back checks out OK. The rest I am not sure how they fit with what we already have.

Bamba has the mobility to cover on the perimeter. His problem defensively is mostly the lack of strength. He gets pushed around in the post by smaller guys. Jackson is stronger and has a natural feel for the game defensively that you just don't see in freshmen.

Ayton is an absolute freak athlete, he's not going to have issues keeping up with anyone. I still don't think people realise what they are watching in Ayton. He can absolutely challenge for the title of best big man in the NBA in a few years, and he has the skills to play the "modern" game if that's what you're looking for.
I was absolutely gitty watching DMC at Kentucky but Ayton doesn't bring that out of me.

While I love Fox's potential as a scorer, I think this team is in a big need of a go to scorer....the alpha dog on the offensive end. From that perspective, I think the best fits for the Kings would be Ayton and Porter (if he is healthy) but none are a given. Doncic is the best all around player but I am not sure that he is a go to scorer in the NBA. A special talent no doubt.

if Kings go with a big, then that young man must be a scorer. All the bigs that we have are not go to guys. WCS is not someone who can lead a play off team in scoring. Giles doesn't appear to be that guy either. Skal can score but I wouldn't call him the go to guy.

I personally like the balance that Ayton would bring to the team. He would add a different aspect to our big men which means that someone else would have to make way eventually. I could see Fox and Ayton forming the long term foundations for this team. Throw in Bogdan and its not a bad 3 to start with.

Ayton gives us a boost in two areas straight away. He would bring the scoring ability and potential to be the go to scorer and he would improve our rebounding significantly. I see Ayton and Fox both developing jumpers and becoming good shooters in time eliminating the spacing concerns.

I would also be cool with Doncic. I wouldn't mind Porter if back checks out OK. The rest I am not sure how they fit with what we already have.
Well we're last in D and offense so there's that.

Jackson i think will be included as a creator soon enough. He has shown a great handle with the ball. He presents big problems in how to gaurd him. He can shoot over the top at 40% 3pt range and if you close out or play him tight has the handle to make the defense pay as he blows around any big coming put to gaurd him. I'd be very interested to see what his lateral agility is because i think he has the skills to play SF as well as PF. This is the most all around and versital player in the draft. This guys is just tapping into all he can do and its scary. His natural gifts and INDTINCTS are off the chart on both ends of the court. And his defensive impact needs to be factored in as well. his knack for blocking shots is *special* and is the best indicator for his feel of the game. He is also the youngest of the top guys i believe.

Fox will be our main "creator" followed by Bogs and Mason. We dont need a guy to have the ball dumped into in the post, or a Porter/Gay type pf SF/creator whose strength is mid range pull ups. Alongs with post centric offensive strategies niether approach works well in todays game as evidenced by NO big man (ayton type) led team leading their team to top level of the standings.
Ya I think Jackson has potential to be a scorer he’s alright in the post right now and if he keeps improving that handle then watch out. He has great quickness you add that to a very good jumper the blow by ability and you have a good scorer.

You're a lot higher on Jackson's offensive prowess than I am. I'm not seeing tight handles or creative abilities or anything like that at the moment. I'm thinking more of a Clint Capela with better shot blocking abilities and the ability to shoot the ball from all over the court. He's kind of in his own category at the moment because I can't really think of a player out there that can do what he can do but I don't see him being a 20ppg guy in the NBA. He seems more like a complimentary player to a franchise player rather than the franchise player. I would bet a lot of money that we don't have a franchise player on this team already. I'd rather use what should be our highest pick in years to go after a true franchise player.

Go to 43 seconds that’s tight and and craftiness for a big man. Between the legs than crossover again than the blow by come on we’ve had SG that couldn’t make that move hell I don’t think Hield could make that move.

Also we’re talking Jackson if Ayton, Doncic, Porter, and Bagley are gone

Well we're last in D and offense so there's that.
Sure but we have a couple of players who could be really good defenders in time. I think WCS is already a good defender and improving at defending stretch 4s and Fox could be a menace as a defender.

In terms of go to scorers, we really don't have any other than maybe Fox in time.

I really like Bamba and I think he's put himself into consideration for first overall. It's very close for me at the top right now. Ayton, Doncic, Young and Bagley have all been very impressive but they've also had an occasional off game. None of them has really pulled away from the pack as a clear favorite yet for me. Then you've got Porter who isn't playing and Jackson and Bamba coming on strong as 3 and D bigs. I'm going to echo what funkykingston just said here -- the thought of a legit 3 and D center/PF who can consistently space the floor for you and be a game-changing presence in the post defensively may be too good to pass up. You know exactly who they're going to be in the league and I think both guys are already ahead of where Myles Turner was at the same point developmentally. Considering our woes on both sides of the ball, I'd really have to think long and hard about passing on Bamba or Jackson even for an immense offensive talent like Ayton, Doncic, Porter, Bagley, and Young all appear to be.

But this is a great problem to have! This isn't a year where we're arguing the merits of a half dozen guys who might be All Stars if everything breaks right, the talent at the top this year is as good as it gets. Bamba and Jackson playing their way into consideration for a top 5 pick just makes the embarrassment of riches that much better.
I love Bamba, but I don't love him for the Kings. I think we need more scorers on this team, specifically a #1 scorer. If Fox shows that he can be that option, then we'd be looking for a #2 scorer in this draft. I don't think that's the type of player Bamba will become.

I think it would be a mistake for any team to draft Bamba at #1 unless they already had a defined core, and Bamba would slip right in.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Slow down my friend! I never said anything about picking Bamba over anyone else. Merely wanted to see what everyone thought about him now that some more games have been played.
Not quite sure why you interpreted my post as a way of saying that I'd pick Bamba over anyone, I'm simply pointing out that if the Kings like his potential and the skillset he has, then by all means, draft him but that's only something to worry about should the Kings not fall in the top 4 or 5.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If you watch Texas, I think Bamba actually does a really good job of getting out on the perimeter and contesting. He's not a plodding big, he's pretty mobile. And because of his massive wingspan he doesn't have to recover all the way to the basket to block a shot -- even when he's a step behind the ball-handler he's able to reach out there and disrupt an easy shot. There have been a couple of good articles about his progress this year which I unfortunately didn't bookmark but you can probably find them pretty easily. I'm not taking anything away from Jaren Jackson Jr. -- he's been a huge presence on defense for Michigan State. Both guys are way up there for me because of that defensive potential. There's nothing but tough choices here. I wish we could draft all of them!
Actually, at the beginning of the season, he wasn't very good defending the P&R, but he has improved as the season has gone on. He's certainly not Willie out there, nor Ayton, but I think in time, he can be adequate. He's still learning the nuances of team defense. By that, he's great in a zone, but still gets confused on switches at times, or is late. Nothing unusual for a young player. Do I think he could stay in front of a Lillard, or a John Wall? No, but then most big's struggle in isolation on a PG. The Willie's of the world are rare. I think Bagley has the athleticism to be a very good P&R defender in time. He has excellent lateral quickness.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I love Bamba, but I don't love him for the Kings. I think we need more scorers on this team, specifically a #1 scorer. If Fox shows that he can be that option, then we'd be looking for a #2 scorer in this draft. I don't think that's the type of player Bamba will become.

I think it would be a mistake for any team to draft Bamba at #1 unless they already had a defined core, and Bamba would slip right in.
Hey, we agree on something. I see Bamba as a 12 to 15 pts a game player. He could eventually surprise me and be better than that, but right now, he's very very raw in the post, and if he has an offensive game away from the basket, I haven't seen it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ayton has the size, skill and athleticism to be an absolute moster. However, he floats or disappears too much. I still think he is going to be a really good player, but I question his motor.
Yeah, you nailed it. He has all the tools he needs to be a star in the NBA. The only thing that could hold Ayton back, is Ayton. Too many times I see a player waltz down the lane for a layup of a dunk, and Ayton is just a spectator watching him go by. I don't know if he's trying to stay out of foul trouble or what, but it bothers me. Other than that, there's a lot to like. I mean he could be a star without a lot of effort or by accident. I just wonder what's driving him?

Not quite sure why you interpreted my post as a way of saying that I'd pick Bamba over anyone, I'm simply pointing out that if the Kings like his potential and the skillset he has, then by all means, draft him but that's only something to worry about should the Kings not fall in the top 4 or 5.
I didn't. I interpreted it as you thought I was looking for fit rather than BPA, which isn't what my initial post was about.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sure but we have a couple of players who could be really good defenders in time. I think WCS is already a good defender and improving at defending stretch 4s and Fox could be a menace as a defender.

In terms of go to scorers, we really don't have any other than maybe Fox in time.
The three young players that stand out to me as possible good defenders on the Kings are, obviously Willie, Fox, and Bogdanovic. Skal has had his moments at times, but his lack of strength is limiting him right now. Likewise, Malachi has had some moments that show promise for the future. I think Buddy puts a lot of effort in, but has trouble reading the player he's guarding, and at times makes downright stupid mistakes on switches. I sometimes question Buddy's BBIQ. We've yet to see Giles play, but everyone has raved about him in practice, so we'll see. Justin Jackson has played dammed good defense the last couple of games, so I find the encouraging. In short, there's some promise there, but I doubt we see anything we can sink our teeth in until next season, when were likely to see more stable lineups, and ergo, more consistency.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ya I think Jackson has potential to be a scorer he’s alright in the post right now and if he keeps improving that handle then watch out. He has great quickness you add that to a very good jumper the blow by ability and you have a good scorer.

Go to 43 seconds that’s tight and and craftiness for a big man. Between the legs than crossover again than the blow by come on we’ve had SG that couldn’t make that move hell I don’t think Hield could make that move.

Yeah, I watched that game, and that's one of the moves he made that answered some questions for me, and moved him up on my board to the third spot. I suspect that he has a lot of talent that the system he's playing in is hiding.

That highlight right there is very impressive. If that's how he's driving on a consistent basis, then I take back most of what I said about him. The times I'm specifically remembering him drive like that weren't nearly as tight and fluid. Hopefully I'm thinking of some games from a couple months ago and he's improved since then.

Yeah Hield def doesn't make that move :D

That highlight right there is very impressive. If that's how he's driving on a consistent basis, then I take back most of what I said about him. The times I'm specifically remembering him drive like that weren't nearly as tight and fluid. Hopefully I'm thinking of some games from a couple months ago and he's improved since then.

Try to remember that he is the younest player in the draft. He should improve a lot.

Yeah, I watched that game, and that's one of the moves he made that answered some questions for me, and moved him up on my board to the third spot. I suspect that he has a lot of talent that the system he's playing in is hiding.
I’m with you—I have him above Ayton right now. For me, it’s a big red flag when a big man with the athleticism of Ayton has such a marginal defensive impact.

Try to remember that he is the younest player in the draft. He should improve a lot.
I don't doubt he will but I'm not real comfortable with projecting him to be way more than what he's shown just on a hunch. Especially when this pick needs to be a franchise player and so far it seems like big men aren't having a huge impact on wins these days.

I really wish the NBA would push the 3 point line out further. It would make big men and post up moves much more valuable again. The players are just too damn good at shooting 3's these days. Used to be there were like 5 guys in the early 90's that could shoot .400 from 3 and they were specialists. Then it was about 20 guys. Now it's about 40 guys and they are jacking them up exponentially more than they ever were in the 90's. I'd like to see the NBA reel that back in so we can get a little variety back into the game again. Doubt they will anytime soon since they have such a huge fascination with Curry. It reminds me of the steroid era in baseball where they rode it out for profit even though it went against the essence of the game.

The fact that he brought it out in a game and made it smoothly is a great sign.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't doubt he will but I'm not real comfortable with projecting him to be way more than what he's shown just on a hunch. Especially when this pick needs to be a franchise player and so far it seems like big men aren't having a huge impact on wins these days.

I really wish the NBA would push the 3 point line out further. It would make big men and post up moves much more valuable again. The players are just too damn good at shooting 3's these days. Used to be there were like 5 guys in the early 90's that could shoot .400 from 3 and they were specialists. Then it was about 20 guys. Now it's about 40 guys and they are jacking them up exponentially more than they ever were in the 90's. I'd like to see the NBA reel that back in so we can get a little variety back into the game again. Doubt they will anytime soon since they have such a huge fascination with Curry. It reminds me of the steroid era in baseball where they rode it out for profit even though it went against the essence of the game.
Considering we just saw the Kings dismantle a Pels team gutted after losing Boogie, I'd have to strongly disagree.

Considering we just saw the Kings dismantle a Pels team gutted after losing Boogie, I'd have to strongly disagree.
If you want to ignore the thousands of other games played that say otherwise and base your opinion on the current impact of big men in the NBA on a Kings vs. Pelicans game in January......then I guess that's your prerogative.

Man I'm really falling in love with Jackson, but at the same time, I question the franchise player potential.

Does anybody else see a little Jonathan Isaac in Jackson? Might just be me...

I'd love to be in a position to trade down with the Magic and pick up Isaac and then draft Porter/Jackson.

Fox / Mason
Bogdanovic / Hield / Richardson
Porter / Jackson
Isaac / Labissiere
Giles* / Cauley-Stein / Papagiannis
*assuming he's as advertised

That would be an exciting team to root for with incredible length and athleticism.

Fox: 6'3.25" height / 6'6.5" wingspan / 8'4" standing reach
Bogdanovic: 6'6.25" height / 6'11" wingspan / 8'8.25" standing reach
Porter: 6'10" height / 7'0.5" wingspan / 9'0" standing reach
Isaac: 6'10.5" height / 7'2" wingspan / 9'2" standing reach
Giles: 6'10.5" height / 7'3.25" wingspan / 9'1.5" standing reach

Last edited: