"Classic" Ride Draft Thread - DRAFT COMPLETED!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, thought I was all done with muscle cars, but since this was still out there:

"Death Proof" 1971 Chevy Nova

The choice of sadistic women killing psychopathic stuntmen everywhere, its a stripped down rodded up '71 Nova stunt car decked out in skull paraphenalia, and can keep my Satanmobile company over in the evil garage. Comes with a badass chrome rubber ducky hood ornament as well, thank you very much. The "Death Proof" refers to all of the safety features to allow the driver to survive virtually anything...including intentional head on collissions designed to murder cars full of young hotties. Can't support that as the best use for cars full of young hotties (in particular after one of them has just agreed to give you a lap dance) but will be making this perhaps my exclusive car after I hit about age 75 or so to put its moniker to the ultimate test. Hell, might even sleep in it. ;)

Last edited:
Now that I've got all that Class and Sophistication stuff out of my system ...

1997 Thrust SSC

So this is essentially a rocket with a tailfin and two jet engines on wheels.

It holds the current land speed record set in '97 at 763 MPH and is the first ground vehicle to break the sound barrier.

Yeah, all that talk about "fastest cars" ... I win.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm going to have to borrow the "meanie commissioner" hat from G3 and disallow your selection.

One of the only real guidelines I've used consistently in determining whether or not a vehicle is eligible is the question, "Could this car actually be driven around your town?"

This isn't a car. It's rocket with wheels...and I think goes just too far over the line. Even if it were eligible, you'd be out of luck. Another participant sent me a PM to ask about its eligibility in one of the early rounds and I turned them down.

Sorry.

One of the only real guidelines I've used consistently in determining whether or not a vehicle is eligible is the question, "Could this car actually be driven around your town?"

Aw, sure it could ... really, really fast! :)

Oh well, I've been dancing on the line for a while and finally jumped over it. Gonna take me a little time to find a replacement as I'm doing this all on the fly.

All right, quick replacement pick here:

2005 Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R

Once I read up on this maybe I'll write why it's cool.

Until then, um ... look, pretty.

Last edited:
1999 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4

This along with the similar Dodge Stealth twin turbo had basically the same engines, but the Stealth was heavier and felt a bit more like a "clinky" American car than the Mitsu.

They should have continued making this car but it's a 40k car and back int he 90s people were buying 20k cars right? :)

Bricklayer

Well damn on that one -- knew their was a Japanese sports car of some sort in the 90s that I wanted to get, but could not remember who made it and so left it dangling.

I have pretty much ignored new cars throughout this draft, and don't know if it would have made my list even if I weren't sticking to oldies, but I always liked that 3000 GT.

1956 Porsche 550 Spider

This is one of the few classic cars that I can recall without browsing my favorite manufacturers' models for inspiration. I have no idea why I didn't pick it before now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

From MotorTrend:

The 2009 Cadillac CTS-V is the fastest, most powerful Cadillac ever built. The fastest, most powerful American sedan in history, for that matter, locked, loaded and gunning for Europe's heavy-hitting sports sedans. Motown - well, GM at least - has its mojo back. Meet Cadillac's monster new CTS-V. Cadzilla, if you will.

There are no performance figures yet, but by way of context, AMG's E63 Benz nails 60 mph in 4.3 seconds. The new CTS-V weighs about the same and has at least 43 more horses and 85 pound-feet more torque. Draw your own conclusions: The car also has been extensively tested on the legendary Nurburgring Nordschliefe, and while insiders are tight-lipped on the actual lap time -- for now -- they will admit Cadzilla has terrorized factory hotshoes from Munich out on the daunting 13-mile road course.

The engine drives the rear wheels through the proven Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual or GM's new 6L90 six-speed automatic, the fourth-and highest torque-rated-iteration of the latest Hydramatic series. The final-drive ratio of the automatic cars has been tweaked to ensure comparable performance to the manual versions, and the paddle-shift manual mode allows drivers to hold gears until the engine is bouncing off the rev limiter.
--------------------
I simply gave in to the desire. I need Cadzilla in my fleet. And somehow, I like knowing I'll have a 6-speed transmission to fulfill my racing needs.

Bricklayer

Well its fast, I'll give it that. But did they have to make it butt ugly? :p

If you needed a caddy you should have gone with my pimpmobile instead. ;)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Sorry, I was away on an overnight with 75 teens. I was hoping I'd be able to squeak by. Here's my pick:

1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special Motorama Concept Car

It just looked too pretty to pass up.

1955 Ford Crown Victoria

The first "Crown Victoria" appeared in 1955; it was a 2-door 6-seater hardtop coupe, part of the Ford Fairlane range, that differed from the regular Victoria model (named after a type of carriage) by having a stainless steel band that 'crowned' the roofline, passing right over the car, as an extension of the B-pillar line. The model was produced in 1955 and 1956.
I really like the looks of this car. I wanted a true classic in my top 20 and I think this is a great find in the latter rounds. Plus, I needed to at least have one pink car in my fleet.

And to cruise into ROUND 18

1954 Kaiser Darrin

For a front view:
The Kaiser Darrin was created in 1954 to compete with the new Chevrolet Corvette in the growing American sports car segment. The car was designed by famed American designer Howard “Dutch” Darrin. Darrin had previously been a partner in Hibbard & Darrin of Paris and also designed for Packard and Studebaker. In the late 1930s Darrin had left Paris and set up a shop in Hollywood.The Kaiser Darrin had a fiberglass body, a three-position top and sliding pocket doors that disappeared into the front fenders when opened. The car is powered by a 90-horsepower 161-cubic inch six-cylinder engine.
The car was only manufactured in 1954. Only 435 copies were constructed.

The sliding pocket door sold me on this one! I would definitely be dropping the top on this beauty and taking it for a nice drive along the Coast!

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
1948 Davis Divan

Starting in 1946, Gary Davis toured the US in a Kurtis Californian roadster to promote his fledgling Davis Motorcar Company. When the Californian became tatty from constant use, Davis had prototypes built at the company’s new factory in an aircraft hangar in Van Nuys, California. Now called the Davis Divan, the two-door sedan had one 15-inch wheel up front and two 15-inch driven wheels out back and was powered by a 47-hp, 132.7-cid Hercules L-head four-cylinder engine (soon changed to a 63-hp, 162-cid Continental four) mated to a Borg-Warner three-speed manual. A removable hard top, covered headlights and a body shaped like a bar of soap completed the $995 package.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And to cruise into ROUND 18

1954 Kaiser Darrin

For a front view:
The Kaiser Darrin was created in 1954 to compete with the new Chevrolet Corvette in the growing American sports car segment. The car was designed by famed American designer Howard “Dutch” Darrin. Darrin had previously been a partner in Hibbard & Darrin of Paris and also designed for Packard and Studebaker. In the late 1930s Darrin had left Paris and set up a shop in Hollywood.The Kaiser Darrin had a fiberglass body, a three-position top and sliding pocket doors that disappeared into the front fenders when opened. The car is powered by a 90-horsepower 161-cubic inch six-cylinder engine.
The car was only manufactured in 1954. Only 435 copies were constructed.

The sliding pocket door sold me on this one! I would definitely be dropping the top on this beauty and taking it for a nice drive along the Coast!
Wow. Nice find, KG4. I certainly wouldn't mind if you showed up for our annual trip to Ft. Bragg in this beauty!!!

:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1969 Plymouth RoadRunner Hemi

The quintessential muscle car, as described by Car and Driver:

"What is it like on the street? Breathtaking. The Hemi Road Runner has more pure mechanical presence than any other American automobile. ... It has an impatient, surging idle that causes the whole car to quiver. ... Open everything in the two four-barrel Carters [and] the exhaust explodes like Krakatoa and the wailing howl of surprised air being sucked into the intakes turns heads for blocks. Baby, you know you're in the presence."

The 1969 Plymouth Road Runner Hemi Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 116.0
Weight, lbs: 3,940
Number built: 788
Base price: $4,000

Standard Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 426
Fuel system: 2 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 10.25:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 425 @ 5000
Torque @ rpm: 490 @ 4000

Representative performance
0-60 mph, sec: 5.3
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 13.55 @ 105

Citroen 2CV

From wikipedia:

"It was described in the book Drive On!: A Social History of the Motor Car by longtime CAR magazine columnist the late LJK Setright as "the most intelligent application of minimalism ever to succeed as a car." It was designed for low cost, simplicity, versatility, reliability, and off-road driving."

I don't know about any of that, especially off roading, but when I had one in England, it drew the most attention from members of the fairer sex. Then again, most other cars in out office car park were hairdresser-mobiles. ;)