"Classic" Ride Draft Thread - DRAFT COMPLETED!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Same car though right?

Just without the magical stuff?
Yeah, they only made the one car, outside of prototypes they were all made between 81 and 82 so I don't even think model year comes into question. There's actually a decent market for them, prices aren't stellar but they're worth more than the sum of their parts. Plus the body keeps rather easily.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't get a PM (;)), but I see it's my turn...

I'm going with another true classic and, I believe, the first Packard of the draft.

1932 Packard Twin-Six Coupe

There are tons of absolutely gorgeous Packards. I had a hard time selecting just one but in the end the nod went to a model I've actually had the privilege of riding in. Sweet car!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gary has timed out; Löwenherz is on the clock.

Just to clarify: Gary can still post his pick. He has not forfeited it.

Last edited:
Here's a shocker. I'm picking an actual classic car. At least I think that's what it is anyway.

1938 Horch 853A Erdmann & Rossi Sport Cabriolet

Felt I should really add something with a little sophistication, class and style to offset my video game assualt vehicle, monster truck and transformers.

This looks like it fits the bill. I'm thinking it's like, a Rolls or something, but I don't know.

Actually, it kind of remindes me of the car Uncle Moneybags drives around in Monopoly. That pretty much rules.

So anytime I feel like cruising like a millionaire through my city, I'm taking the Monopoly car.

2004 Acura NSX

Sorry for being so late..

Totally forgot about it. I have been logged into Kingsfans since like last night (I leave my computer on all the time) and I was supposed to make my pick last night, but a day of football and being on my other computer I just forgot.

The Acura NSX is a dream car of mine.. But alas, Acura (like idiots) stopped making them.. ARGH!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Jaguar C-XF (2007 concept car)

Since every other Jaguar in the world has been taken, I thought I would go back to one of my new beauties...except its the only one of its kind. By the time the XF series made it to production this cool looking ride had been reduced to this by what I can only assume are the little old ladies who pass for production engineers for Jaguar. In any case, I don't know what the above car has to do with Jaguar -- the whole point was to announce a new direction for the company apparently leaving behind its retro stylings. But its a nifty looking car that I am sure can be driven at least once a month between stops in the shop like any true Jag.

Time to pick another little cutie.

1958 Triumph TR3a
-- Despite being notoriously finicky vehicles, I have always loved the early model Triumphs. It may only have a 4-cylinder 95hp engine and a top speed of 105, but they've got a reputation for being fairly zippy and fun to drive. Don't matter to me, though, as it's following the precedent set by the rest of my draft list (well, most of it) -- shallowly picked only for its looks.

Jaguar C-XF (2007 concept car)

Since every other Jaguar in the world has been taken, I thought I would go back to one of my new beauties...except its the only one of its kind. By the time the XF series made it to production this cool looking ride had been reduced to this by what I can only assume are the little old ladies who pass for production engineers for Jaguar. In any case, I don't know what the above car has to do with Jaguar -- the whole point was to announce a new direction for the company apparently leaving behind its retro stylings. But its a nifty looking car that I am sure can be driven at least once a month between stops in the shop like any true Jag.
XF series is the ugliest Jaguar ever. This is one of reasons why ford sucks . Even though C-XF is a nice looking car it is more Ford then Jaguar so that is why I did not pick it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's a shocker. I'm picking an actual classic car. At least I think that's what it is anyway.

1938 Horch 853A Erdmann & Rossi Sport Cabriolet

Felt I should really add something with a little sophistication, class and style to offset my video game assualt vehicle, monster truck and transformers.

This looks like it fits the bill. I'm thinking it's like, a Rolls or something, but I don't know.

Actually, it kind of remindes me of the car Uncle Moneybags drives around in Monopoly. That pretty much rules.

So anytime I feel like cruising like a millionaire through my city, I'm taking the Monopoly car.
Wow. Sweet-looking ride and one I'm a little surprised I've never heard of. Nice pick.

:)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sorry - I did not realize I was up. I will have my pick shortly, along with my IPod selection, they go hand in hand. Perfect timing.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
While not my favorite era I gotta have at least one muscle car, and this is easily one of the most sought after of the lot:
1969 Yenko Super Camaro

So the important thing here is that you gotta ask me what makes this so special compared to a "regular" Camaro.

Funny you should ask... you see, back in 1967 when Chevrolet debuted the Camaro, and in the wake of Ralph Nader and "Unsafe at Any Speed", GM issued an edict that their pony car would not ship out with an engine over 400 cubic inches. Enter Don Yenko, a former race car driver who established a performance shop for Chevrolet vehicles in 1957. Yenko had the bright idea to replace the original L-78 396 in³ engine with the Corvette's L-72 427 in³ engine. He also performed a number of other performance based upgrades such as the 4.10 rear end and heavy duty suspension. Additionally further upgrades were available as options through his performance shop. Since GM did not allow this the Corvette engine was shipped in a crate and installed in the Camaro at Yenko's shop.

By 1969 the demand was so high that Yenko (and select other dealers) had worked out a back room type of deal with Chevrolet where they could order the L-72 engine factory installed through the use of special Central Office Production Order codes. The L-72 was the 9561. The 9560 featured an all aluminum ZL-1 engine, but I will stick with Yenko for the distinctive striping and spoiler package.

While the ZL-1 is perhaps the holy grail of muscle cars a well maintained and genuine L-72 Yenko is still quite rare among a sea of clones and can still command over 2 million at auction (Aprox. 200 came through Yenko in '69). The one pictured above turned the quarter mile in under 12 seconds thus edging out the performance of the more expensive ZL-1.

And everywhere I go I will sing this song.

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice pick pdx!

here's mine:

1959 El Camino

The first El Camino was produced for the 1959 model year (two years after the Ford Ranchero) and, like the Ranchero, was based on an existing and easily modified platform, namely the new-for-1959 Brookwood two-door station wagon and corresponding sedan delivery variant; unlike those more pedestrian versions, the El Camino was available with any trim level and drivetrain option corresponding to the car line, including that of the Chevrolet Impala. This was also the first year of the flamboyant "batwing" full-sized Chevrolet which sold in fewer numbers than more conservatively styled Fords.
The Chevrolet El Camino (Spanish translation: "the road") was a coupe utility vehicle built by Chevrolet in the United States from 1959 to 1960, with production resuming in 1964 and continuing through 1987. Produced in response to the success of the rival Ford Ranchero, it was based on corresponding Chevrolet car lines, though in North America, the vehicle is classified as a truck and titled as such.

Attachments

Last edited:
and to start the next round: 2009 Fisker Karma

The Fisker Karma is a plug-in hybrid luxury sports car revealed on 14 January 2008 and manufactured by Fisker Automotive,a joint venture of Quantum Technologies, and Fisker Coachbuild, LLC, announced September 5, 2007. The Karma was introduced at the 2008 North American International Auto Show.The PHEV-50 (50 mile all-electric range) is anticipated in late 2009 to sell for US$ 80,000.

The Fisker Karma is the first vehicle released by the Fisker Automotive Company.

The Karma features Q-Drive technology, powered by an innovative plug-in hybrid gasoline/electric motors. The vehicle can run up to 50 miles (80 km) solely on battery power when fully charged. Afterthe charged batteries deplete, the Karma converts to its hybrid engines, constantly switching between gasoline and electric motors. Fisker will provide an optional solar panel to be mounted on the roof of the buyers house to charge the car completely off the grid.In addition to the advanced hybrid drive technology, a solar-paneled roof is optional.

These solar cells collect energy to aide in cooling the vehicle’s lithium ion batteries as well as donate an extra boost to the Q-drive system. Although Fisker Automotive has yet to release solid statistics regarding Karma’s fuel economy, the company estimates the average driver will only have to refill the gas tank annually provided they do not drive more than 50 miles per day.
It features a 125 mph (201 km/h) top speed and is capable of reaching 60 mph (97 km/h) from a standstill in 5.8 seconds.

Attachments

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
With just a handful of picks left, I can address a few weak spots with one selection here - uber high end luxury car and suicide doors and beef up my selection of convertibles, four seaters and modern cars.
2007 Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé
The first sold in the US went for 2 million at auction which is believed to be the highest ever paid price for a new production model car. Sheer wankery for rich people. I didn't have that, now I do. Pass the grey poupon.

Last edited by a moderator:
2008 Unicat TerraCross TC55 Comfort Plus

Okay I am going to need get to some extreme places and stay there for a while. This will be my vehicle for snowboarding expeditions to the mountains etc. It even has a washer and dryer option.

To many specs to list.

I do not care if it looks like a garbage truck. As a bonus, the winch system will serve to pull out any of my other vehicles that I may or may not get stuck in precarious situations.

Attachments

Last edited:
My next little slice of adorable is:

1959 MG A 1600 MK1 -- Another cute little British roadster that is very similar in style and specs to my last pick. For that reason, I may not have put both on my list under normal circumstances. However, this car does something super special -- combine it with last night's Triumph and the Porsche 356 that I chose several rounds ago, and I've got all three of the cars driven by Varla and her gal pals in Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! :D So, ya know, if I ever happen upon any violently minded strippers with a fondness for killing sprees and tight clothing... figure I'm covered.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, a request here...

PLEASE, one picture only. You're killing me and anyone else with dial-up with multiple pictures embedded in your post. If you want to post more than one picture, especially if they're large files, please use spoiler tags. (Thumbnails and attachments are fine...)

Thanks!

:D