"Classic" Ride Draft Thread - DRAFT COMPLETED!

Do you mean his 10th pick?

I think the distinction was made that it was a convertible and nobody protested the pick, or at least there was another similar case.
Both the McLaren/Mercedes and the Jag are convertible versions of his picks. I mentioned it a while back and it seemed deemed by lack of protest that that is diffrerent enough. If necessary, I can re-pick, I am not terribly attached.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There won't be any repicks at this point. And, just to clarify, I believe the commissioner already addressed this issue anyway.

:p

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
While this pick will set the draft on its heels, I believe my final pick will set the place afire.

The Mirthmobile (1976 AMC Pacer)

Someone suggested thata one to me way back at the beginning of the draft. I was actually minorly tempted. ;)
It has flames coming from the tires and its own theme song Bohemian Rhapsody blaring on a loop.

How could that not be the coolest car ever?!

Oh, and I almost forgot, a licorice dispenser. And Tia Carrere ridiing shot gun.

Last edited:
Liberace's 1979 Kanzler Coupe

Apparently this is one of only two known Kanzlers known to exist. It was designed by Ernest Kanzler, the son of a 1920s Ford Motor Co. executive. It was produced by Newport Beach Coachworks, which closed in 1979. The Kanzler was based on a 1979 Mercury Cougar and features a 351 mated to a 3-speed automatic. An inch longer and narrower than an Expedition with only 4420 pounds of elegant styling to push around, this Coupe promises performance numbers as grand as the previous owner himself. After Liberace's death in 1987, the car was willed to his domestic partner, Cary James. This is a extremely unique car with a wonderful history. It just caught my eye and I would love to cruise around in this.

[FONT=Arial,]And to start ROUND 20 (my victory lap) :p

1963 Bentley S2 Mulliner Drophead coupe

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,]1 of 15 built by H.J. Mulliner Ltd.This car has a 6.2 litre V8 engine and is just beautiful. It was formerly owned by Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees. So, with "Staying Alive" playing on the radio and the top down, I cruise into the sunset of this draft. [/FONT]

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Liberace's 1979 Kanzler Coupe

Apparently this is one of only two known Kanzlers known to exist. It was designed by Ernest Kanzler, the son of a 1920s Ford Motor Co. executive. It was produced by Newport Beach Coachworks, which closed in 1979. The Kanzler was based on a 1979 Mercury Cougar and features a 351 mated to a 3-speed automatic. An inch longer and narrower than an Expedition with only 4420 pounds of elegant styling to push around, this Coupe promises performance numbers as grand as the previous owner himself. After Liberace's death in 1987, the car was willed to his domestic partner, Cary James. This is a extremely unique car with a wonderful history. It just caught my eye and I would love to cruise around in this.

Well that's nifty, and unique too.

Think mom got the better Bentley though. ;)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Give me some ideas. Just keep your hands off the Vlade Deluxe.
I'm sorry, I waited 20 rounds for you to pick it. Now you're toast:

While I did stay away from the 1937 Vlade Deluxe, I couldn't pass up the 1938 Model, which was sponsored by Shick, given to Vlade after doing the following commercial:

[yt=Vlade Schick Commercial]bCTx6K3Irag[/yt]

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I freaking hate you!!! Not because you picked it, but because you "found it" to begin with!!!

Very well played, Spike!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This sucks. If I come up against you in the balloting, I'm almost honor bound to vote against myself. Being a Vlade fan is not the walk in the park you might think. You discovered the chink in my armor... I am stunned.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

I'm heading for Fort Bragg first thing in the morning and won't be back until some time Monday afternoon. Although I am taking my laptop with me, I don't plan on spending a lot of time online... KG4 and the Little Princesses will not put up with it. :p

So, if the draft is completed, which I fully expect it to be, the participants of this draft can send me their rankings preparatory to the voting, which will be done in a single-elimination format with the top 4 vote-getters receiving a bye in the first round.

If you have questions about ranking, I'd suggest you follow the rules as set down by Mr. S£im and Bricklayer in their drafts.

:)

While I did stay away from the 1937 Vlade Deluxe, I couldn't pass up the 1938 Model, which was sponsored by Shick, given to Vlade after doing the following commercial:
Do I smell something fishy or is it a rat? Are you trying to pull the wool over my poor old Mother's eyes? :eek:;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sorry, I waited 20 rounds for you to pick it. Now you're toast:

While incredibly well done and irrefutably clever, this selection has to be disallowed... ;)

Therefore, Spike, you need to post another selection. Since I think you knew this would happen, I'm putting AleksandarN on the clock. You can fill in your 20th pick at your convenience, but it has to be done before the end of the draft.

While incredibly well done and irrefutably clever, this selection has to be disallowed... ;)

Therefore, Spike, you need to post another selection. Since I think you knew this would happen, I'm putting AleksandarN on the clock. You can fill in your 20th pick at your convenience, but it has to be done before the end of the draft.

Sometimes I feel like the only Commish that gives points for creativity. sigh.....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would love to give points for creativity - and gave effusive praise over the pick. However, one of the guiding premises of the whole draft has been that the picks have to be real cars. There is NO 1938 Vlade Deluxe - the incredibly clever photoshop work Spike did not withstanding.

If Spike would like to identify the truck in the picture and show a picture pre-photoshop it could count but it wouldn't be the same.

Bricklayer

Tyranny!

Worse yet, the tyranny of the uninformed! Don't let your own ignorance of classic cars limit the draft for everyone else. :p

Besides...the Marlboro's riding shotgun were a nice touch. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My mother's family name is Franklin. The designers of this car are reportedly from one of the outer branches of the family tree. For that reason, I felt I had to have one in my city.

1919 Franklin Roadster

From Wikipedia

The H. H. Franklin Manufacturing Company was a maker of automobiles in the United States between 1902 and 1934 in Syracuse, New York. Herbert H. Franklin, the founder, started out in the metal die-casting business (in fact, he invented the term) before entering the automobile business with the engineer John Wilkinson.

All Franklin cars were air-cooled, which the company considered simpler and more reliable than water cooling, and the company considered light weight to be critical in making a well-performing car given the limited power of the engines then available. Most Franklins were wood-framed, though the very first used an angle iron frame (1902) and, beginning in 1928, the heavier cars adopted a conventional pressed-steel frame. Lightweight aluminum was used in quantity, to the extent that Franklin was reckoned to be the largest user of aluminum in the world in the early years of the company...

...Franklin cars were technological leaders, first with six cylinders (by 1905) and automatic spark advance, in 1907. Demonstrating reliability, L.L. Whitman drove a Franklin from New York City to San Francisco in 1906 in 15 days 2 hours 15 minutes, a new record.[8] Franklin were undisputed leaders in air-cooled cars at a time when virtually every other manufacturer had adopted water cooling as cheaper and easier to manufacture. Before the invention of antifreeze, the air-cooled car had a huge advantage in cold weather, and Franklins were popular among people such as doctors, who needed an all-weather machine. The limitation of air-cooling was the size of the cylinder bore and the available area for the valves, which limited the power output of the earlier Franklins.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

Attica! Attica!

I posit that the Vlade Deluxe is no different than a concept car - many of those never make it past R&D and into production. Heck, many of them never make it past the artist's rendering.

However, if I must, I will re-pick, but I will hold out as long as I can.

Bricklayer

Attica! Attica!

I posit that the Vlade Deluxe is no different than a concept car - many of those never make it past R&D and into production. Heck, many of them never make it past the artist's rendering.

However, if I must, I will re-pick, but I will hold out as long as I can.

Oh quit being a pissant. :p

2010 Hyundai (yes that's right, a Hyundai!) Genesis Coupe

Sorry for my lateness..

If the pick doesn't count I understand.. I had things come up, and could only access the site from work, and that was for only a couple minutes at a time.

OK.. This pick is the first Hyundai :D I actually really think this is going to be a neat car. Seen the commercials for the Genesis right? This is the 2 door coupe version available in 2010. It's set to retail over 30k so this is not your typical Hyundai. I probably wont buy it, but I like what Hyundai is trying to do. They are actually becoming major players in the car business, instead of making total crap like they used to.

It comes in a 300+ HP V6, or a 250+ HP turbo 4cyl. (I would rather have the turbo for modding purposes)