WOW! The Triangle Offense for the Kings & Kids

What other teams have outright tried to run the triangle?? I cant think of any...most teams have hybrid offenses, and just Jackson teams are PURE triangle offense teams.
Even though the current lakers are not a pure triangle team. They use it when they can't get out in transition.

Last edited:
I don't care what they call it. I love any motion offense. Makes it lots of fun for the fans.
I'm with you - I'd personally be happy with any 'pass-centric' offense, and one that utilises the strengths of the players. Seeing as the team has big guys that are willing to pass, this approach may work. This could also be a good way to establish an identity for this team.

Having said that, I am a little apprehensive, particularly if Theus and coaching staff don't have the credentials to teach and nurture what sounds like a very intricate system. I also hope that Theus is not just preaching this for the headlines. I think the worse thing that could happen with this whole thing is that the system is forced onto the players. If it works, great. As long as they are willing to go back to the drawing board if it doesn't.

If this is a young group of guys we're going to keep around then I wouldn't mind using the triangle, we have some down time to learn it if you know what I mean. It's a great offense if you have the right coaching and personnel. It's a commitment though.
It makes sense with the personnel we have and obviously can bring excitement for the fans. Heck, I was excited when I heard about it. :)

Hmm.... so basically what Theus is saying is he has a team that isn't good with sharing the ball. So the solution is to put them in a system that would breakdown miserably if they don't share the ball.

This is going to be a longgggg season.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think it also required shooters and at least one big who can play the high post. Lack of shooters is part of the reason it failed with Cartwright and the Bulls a few years back.
So we have shooters (Martin, Garcia, Salmons) and we have the big men (Miller and Hawes). If Theus is as committed to it as he says, then it's a good thing. It requires teamwork and passing and we do have passing talent on this team. Really, the only guy on this team I have doubts about when it comes to passing is Salmons, and if the culture of the team is to pass it will be difficult for Salmons to go it alone (unlike Artest who could care what the rest of the team wanted).

Last season it was clear that there was no consistent offensive system with ever changing line-ups and constant team turmoil. At least the coach is trying from day one of training camp to enforce a discipline on offense this year of motion, up-tempo or if you like - triangle. Hopefully, with Artest history there will be a lot less standing around stagnating, like the picture of Salmons pounding the ball with shot clock winding down and everyone spectators not expecting a pass. Miller passing out of high post has always been a key to offensive flow and hopefully we'll not see Martin disappearing in a corner, but having the ball very early in the clock. He can drain it, get to the line, or find Beno for a second team option. Udrih is very effective on pick and roll, setting and working screens. He can play off Martin - meaning assist or score - and keep "the mo" in the motion with 3-4 or more passes per set.

I think you guys are misreading that quote.

That's same old Theus trying to sell the plan through the media. And of course repeateing his mistake of publicly putting words into the mouth of a man who famously doesn't even like to speak them himself. This is what Theus wants to happen, but he seems to have difficulty in distinguishing between what he wants and reality sometimes. And so he tries to make it happen by yapping.
that's ridiculous, without existing facts there is no foundation on which to base your assumption. Such an assumption is not provable and is nothing more than a guess.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
What other teams have outright tried to run the triangle?? I cant think of any...most teams have hybrid offenses, and just Jackson teams are PURE triangle offense teams.
True. But Jackson had MJ for a bunch of years, now he has Kobe and a couple of down-low bigs. I see Kevin fitting into the role that MJ/Kobe played/play in the triangle and being a 25 pt/gm guy while getting 4-6 assists, something new for Kevin. But with the promise of the new kid-bigs, Salmons as the SF as good defender and solid team guy, and Beno directing traffic, the Triangle makes more sense the more I hear KingsFans comments.

Hawes, Thompson, Greene and Williams are young and can move around really good for "bigs". If, and of course its a big IF, these guys pan out like their upsides seem to indicate, then they seem great tools for implementing the Triangle or something very much like it with ball movement, back doors and the LOW/HIGH offensive threat. And when it works, it is an exciting, fast moving, difficult to defend style. GO KINGS!!

I think it's a good idea. Our big men can pass and shoot the ball, our guards are good scorers and KMart can score from anywhere on the floor. Salmons is an all around type of player. I don't see why it's bad. It's not like we have AI or someone and this is going to take that player out of their game. It should fit KMart pretty well actually.