WOW! The Triangle Offense for the Kings & Kids

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Getting into the triangle offense seems a natural for the Kings now. With Brad, Spencer and Jason being known good passing "Bigs", Beno as the traffic cop, Salmons in the Scotty role and Kevin in the Kobe/MJ role, makes big time sense to me. But..... having said that, the Triangle is the most difficult of the offensive structures to learn. No one does it the first year.

But reading the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_offense" on it starts to make sense given the roster the Kings will likely have.

Mostly, in the video from media day were the comments to the effect "...the Kings will surprise a few teams...." and will be more exciting. That's good enough for me and more exciting now that they have a plan.

If this is a young group of guys we're going to keep around then I wouldn't mind using the triangle, we have some down time to learn it if you know what I mean. It's a great offense if you have the right coaching and personnel. It's a commitment though.

It's definitely a commitment and can be hard to execute...Larry Krystkowiak of Milwaukee Bucks fame couldn't pull it off.

I'm looking forward to seeing more ball movement this year, and hopefully Theus and his crew can create a system that both works and sticks.

Ok, but if the Kings go that direction, can we not call it the Triangle? Maybe the winter offense, or the quadrangle minus a side offense, or the offense with three angles?

if you want triangle offense, youre going to need a new coach imo. as far as i know, reggie isnt qualified to teach triangle, and he also doesnt seem to be the type of guy to go allow his entire team structure to be changed by others. we all see reggie as the headstrong stubborn type of coach, so what would make him go and say, "lets use someone else's system, not mine?"

for the triangle, we dont necessarily need high post passing bigs like the princeton. shaq is a low post passer, and very rarely stays in the high post. wennington, longly, were not known as passers, but spot up shooters that took up some room and made some screens.

to me, the triangle isn't built with "passing bigs," or a star scorer at the sg spot. thats just what pj happened to have at that time. the triangle doesnt tell you that you need a big that can pass form the outside post, a sg who is number 1 option scorer, etc. the biggest thing that the triangle needs is smart players. thats why pj likes walton, hates radman, and appreciated turiaf. pj has also ran his with pgs that are not "pure." again, i dont agree that you need a "type" of player at each position, just because pj had it. i think the only thing you need to run it successfully are intelligent players who understand the triangle and can react with it.

The triangle absolutely runs better when you have a big that can work the high post.

I could see guys like Beno, Garcia, and Miller fitting into the offense very naturally. At the same time some of the younger guys might really struggle to find their niche'.

if you want triangle offense, youre going to need a new coach imo. as far as i know, reggie isnt qualified to teach triangle, and he also doesnt seem to be the type of guy to go allow his entire team structure to be changed by others. we all see reggie as the headstrong stubborn type of coach, so what would make him go and say, "lets use someone else's system, not mine?"

for the triangle, we dont necessarily need high post passing bigs like the princeton. shaq is a low post passer, and very rarely stays in the high post. wennington, longly, were not known as passers, but spot up shooters that took up some room and made some screens.

to me, the triangle isn't built with "passing bigs," or a star scorer at the sg spot. thats just what pj happened to have at that time. the triangle doesnt tell you that you need a big that can pass form the outside post, a sg who is number 1 option scorer, etc. the biggest thing that the triangle needs is smart players. thats why pj likes walton, hates radman, and appreciated turiaf. pj has also ran his with pgs that are not "pure." again, i dont agree that you need a "type" of player at each position, just because pj had it. i think the only thing you need to run it successfully are intelligent players who understand the triangle and can react with it.
I think it also required shooters and at least one big who can play the high post. Lack of shooters is part of the reason it failed with Cartwright and the Bulls a few years back.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
"I think what can help us is if I stick to my guns – and Geoff and management is backing me on this – (and) guys who play hard, guys who run the ball and push it, play the tempo, play the style, are the guys who are going to play. If some of the young guys don't buy into it fast enough and we have to bring it along slower, then that's what we do."I think what can help us is if I stick to my guns – and Geoff and management is backing me on this – (and) guys who play hard, guys who run the ball and push it, play the tempo, play the style, are the guys who are going to play. If some of the young guys don't buy into it fast enough and we have to bring it along slower, then that's what we do."I think what can help us is if I stick to my guns – and Geoff and management is backing me on this – (and) guys who play hard, guys who run the ball and push it, play the tempo, play the style, are the guys who are going to play. If some of the young guys don't buy into it fast enough and we have to bring it along slower, then that's what we do."

Interesting quote by Theus. He knows that results are not going to be immediate. It's going to be many games before they get it. I like the commitment.

Call me crazy, but given the chance I could see Douby filling in that "Derick Fisher" type role. If he gets the skip pass from the man down low he could live on the 3 point line.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Ok, but if the Kings go that direction, can we not call it the Triangle? Maybe the winter offense, or the quadrangle minus a side offense, or the offense with three angles?
Maybe the isosceles? The obtuse offense (which may be more appropriate than we know ;) )? Acute angle attack?

Sorry, but the "quadrangle minus a side" is just a letter "C". :p

Triangle offense sounds much too official, to actually be "the" triangle offense. 1st, Reggie is big on execution, and the triangle offense does a perfect job placing the onus or blame on the person not executing. I think its a great fit for the team because the triangle offense is only 1/3rd of the set, the triangle will be used in case the fast break doesn't. And defense completes the tri-fecta. I like that reggie is saying this stuff, because it means he is actually making an effort to connect with fans. People like it when you do your job well and not take that job seriously at the same time(demeanor). This is a nice scooby snack from the coach, and i hope to hear more about his specific plans for the future.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
"I think what can help us is if I stick to my guns – and Geoff and management is backing me on this – (and) guys who play hard, guys who run the ball and push it, play the tempo, play the style, are the guys who are going to play. If some of the young guys don't buy into it fast enough and we have to bring it along slower, then that's what we do."I think what can help us is if I stick to my guns – and Geoff and management is backing me on this – (and) guys who play hard, guys who run the ball and push it, play the tempo, play the style, are the guys who are going to play. If some of the young guys don't buy into it fast enough and we have to bring it along slower, then that's what we do."I think what can help us is if I stick to my guns – and Geoff and management is backing me on this – (and) guys who play hard, guys who run the ball and push it, play the tempo, play the style, are the guys who are going to play. If some of the young guys don't buy into it fast enough and we have to bring it along slower, then that's what we do."

Interesting quote by Theus. He knows that results are not going to be immediate. It's going to be many games before they get it. I like the commitment.
He's so committed to it, he said it three times! ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think you guys are misreading that quote.

That's same old Theus trying to sell the plan through the media. And of course repeateing his mistake of publicly putting words into the mouth of a man who famously doesn't even like to speak them himself. This is what Theus wants to happen, but he seems to have difficulty in distinguishing between what he wants and reality sometimes. And so he tries to make it happen by yapping.

Call me crazy, but given the chance I could see Douby filling in that "Derick Fisher" type role. If he gets the skip pass from the man down low he could live on the 3 point line.
A big problem with this idea is that Douby has shown himself to be a much better shooter off the dribble than off the pass. I believe that has been one of the biggest reasons he hasn't got the playing time he wants.

I think you guys are misreading that quote.

That's same old Theus trying to sell the plan through the media. And of course repeateing his mistake of publicly putting words into the mouth of a man who famously doesn't even like to speak them himself. This is what Theus wants to happen, but he seems to have difficulty in distinguishing between what he wants and reality sometimes. And so he tries to make it happen by yapping.
When did reggie become the anti-christ? one more season and then we can re-evaluate AC status.

Weren't they running it partially last year? If I remember correctly I heard Grant talking about it to Jerry.. If I am wrong forgive me, but if I wasn't mistaken we ran it a lot when Bibby was out.

What other teams have outright tried to run the triangle?? I cant think of any...most teams have hybrid offenses, and just Jackson teams are PURE triangle offense teams.