Why Trade For Dominic McGuire?

I've not heard much about our trade with Washington for Dominic McGuire. I know we got some cash back (enough to pay the rest of his salary this year?) and gave up a future protected second round pick (what year?). And why trade for another SF when we have a surplus already? I really don't understand this trade at all.

Last edited:
Potential. He has some NBA skills, especially on D and was 47th overall pick in his draft. If California kid McGuire works out could be replacement for Udoka (age 33) as a D-stopper.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure of the motivation, but he was a pretty good player a Fresno St. Its hard to judge how much of a chance he's had. He could be one of those guys that Petrie liked when he came out and never had a chance to draft. Remember Wallace never blossemed until he left here. So you never know. Not much of a risk to take to find out. Were quickly approaching the point where making our roster will start to become difficult. We'll add another first round pick this year, and probably add at least one player, maybe two through freeagency.

Not saying Kobe should have fought the guy, but did you notice that he didn't do a damn thing!? At least get in the guys face! Jordan or Reggie would have never let that crap slide. Kobes a punk!

the pick we gave up will probably have the same conditions as the pick we gave for hilton armstrong where it's almost impossible for the wizards to recieve it. the kings just did it becasue they also received money from the wizards and it allowed the wizards to get under the luxury cap. also it doesn't hurt that mcguire is young, good defensively, and could guard 3 positions on a given night. still probably won't see the floor very often.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Not saying Kobe should have fought the guy, but did you notice that he didn't do a damn thing!? At least get in the guys face! Jordan or Reggie would have never let that crap slide. Kobes a punk!
Wait a minute, what? I mean, I know it's de riguer to rip on Kobe around here, but he's a "punk" because he DIDN'T retaliate after a hard foul? Next thing you're going to be telling me that we're at war with East Asia.

L

Lafayette

McGuire can play, he has some skill and he's young alogn with getting rid of Udoka and possibly Noc, so he fits.

Wait a minute, what? I mean, I know it's de riguer to rip on Kobe around here, but he's a "punk" because he DIDN'T retaliate after a hard foul? Next thing you're going to be telling me that we're at war with East Asia.
He's a punk because my power went out yesterday.
He's a punk because my car needs new tires.
He's a punk because my Whopper came without cheese.
He's a punk because...he's Kobe.:p

Anyway, East Asia's been asking for it. We'll kick their butts!;)

I said he didn't need to get physical or fight, but he didn't even stand up for himself. In a playoff series to top it off. He just sat there like a bum. Not even his teammates stood up for him. Shows what kind of respect they had for him at that time. This isn't about fighting and getting physical, it's about putting your foot down and saying you ain't gonna tolerate no crap like that. Maybe you guys don't watch enough laker games to notice most of the stuff we see here down in LA

McGuire has always been a fringe NBA player--10th-12th man, at best. He's got some shades of rebounding, passing, and even disrupting ability, but it doesn't matter when his defense is terrible and his offense is even worse. He's had negative impact wherever he played and that doesn't look to change. We do have a glut of SFs so this doesn't make sense, and he can't really play PF. But it's only a 2nd rounder so w/e.