Who Should We Sign? (2023 Off-Season)

Assuming they would agree to sign here, which SF/PF would be your top choice in free agency?

• Cam Johnson

• Dillon Brooks

• Grant Williams

• Jae Crowder

• Jalen McDaniels

• Jerami Grant

• Josh Hart

• Kyle Kuzma

• PJ Washington

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jonathan Isaac would be an intriguing trade target. I wonder if a Holmes/Dozier/#24 or Holmes/Mitchell is enough of an incentive for ORL to cut ties.

Isaac is a tremendous fit on paper…
  • 25 years old
  • Great size, length, & athleticism at PF
  • Excellent defender who could easily make some all defensive teams
  • Excellent rebounder
  • Excellent rim protector
  • Excellent motor/hustle
  • Can space the floor
  • Has some offensive scoring potential

Obviously, it just comes down to his ability to stay healthy and on the floor but is the risk of shedding a minor asset to potentially find a near perfect complement to Sabonis worth it? There are not many players out there the cover Sabonis’ weaknesses and complement his strengths.

Since we wouldn’t have to use cap space to make this trade, we could still go over the cap to resign Barnes, Lyles, Davis, etc. Resigning Barnes & Lyles would give us very good injury security with Isaac as we’d still have Murray, Barnes, Lyles, and Edwards who could play SF and PF in the case that Isaac does get injured.

Depending on which trade we do above, we could have this rotation:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Murray / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Isaac / Lyles
C - Sabonis
Picks - #38 / #54

or

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Huerter / Davis / Dozier
PF - Isaac / Lyles
C - Sabonis
Picks - #24 / #38 / #54
I wouldn't trade for Issac unless Orlando takes back Holmes contract in the trade. Otherwise I wait to see if Orlando waives Issac and we sign him on a vet min type contract. Otherwise $17 mil for a player that can't stay healthy is too big of a risk.

Jonathan Isaac would be an intriguing trade target. I wonder if a Holmes/Dozier/#24 or Holmes/Mitchell is enough of an incentive for ORL to cut ties.

Isaac is a tremendous fit on paper…
  • 25 years old
  • Great size, length, & athleticism at PF
  • Excellent defender who could easily make some all defensive teams
  • Excellent rebounder
  • Excellent rim protector
  • Excellent motor/hustle
  • Can space the floor
  • Has some offensive scoring potential

Obviously, it just comes down to his ability to stay healthy and on the floor but is the risk of shedding a minor asset to potentially find a near perfect complement to Sabonis worth it? There are not many players out there the cover Sabonis’ weaknesses and complement his strengths.

Since we wouldn’t have to use cap space to make this trade, we could still go over the cap to resign Barnes, Lyles, Davis, etc. Resigning Barnes & Lyles would give us very good injury security with Isaac as we’d still have Murray, Barnes, Lyles, and Edwards who could play SF and PF in the case that Isaac does get injured.

Depending on which trade we do above, we could have this rotation:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
PF - Isaac / Lyles
C - Sabonis
Picks - #38 / #54

or

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Huerter / Davis / Dozier
PF - Isaac / Lyles
C - Sabonis
Picks - #24 / #38 / #54
Man you like getting rid of Mitchell way too easily.

Did you see his impact in the playoffs?

He's a better outside shot away (and he's a really hard worker, don't see why he couldn't get it done) from probably needing to start.

And you want to just throw him away for a dude that really hasn't played in the last two years.

Really don't get it, you need guards that can defend and he really exemplifies the culture that I think Mike Brown wants to establish here in Sac.

I wouldn't trade for Issac unless Orlando takes back Holmes contract in the trade. Otherwise I wait to see if Orlando waives Issac and we sign him on a vet min type contract. Otherwise $17 mil for a player that can't stay healthy is too big of a risk.
I think Vet min is close to the right price for someone with Isaac's injury history. What are the chances Orlando waives him? (Seems like he has $34 million left on his contract)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think Vet min is close to the right price for someone with Isaac's injury history. What are the chances Orlando waives him? (Seems like he has $34 million left on his contract)
It appears that he had a clause in his contract that removed some level of guarantee if he was waived. He appears to have about $7.6 million guaranteed left, if the Magic choose to waive him.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/266901/Jonathan-Isaacs-Contract-Becomes-Partially-Guaranteed

He's a better outside shot away (and he's a really hard worker, don't see why he couldn't get it done) from probably needing to start.

And you want to just throw him away for a dude that really hasn't played in the last two years.

Really don't get it, you need guards that can defend and he really exemplifies the culture that I think Mike Brown wants to establish here in Sac.
I wouldn’t consider using him to shed bad, long term salary while at the same time bringing in a near perfect complement to Sabonis (which is much much much more difficult to find than a defensive PG) to be “throwing him away.”

I recognize that we have 4 guards that deserve minutes on this roster: Fox, Huerter, Monk, & Mitchell. One of them is going to be the odd man out. It’s not going to be Fox for obvious reasons. Huerter is solid and is the only one that has the real size you want at starting SG. Monk is Fox’s best friend and it’s questionable how much Monk would return in a trade considering he’s a UFA after next season. So yes, that leaves Mitchell as an expendable asset from my POV.

Let’s be clear, we’re going to have a real tough time becoming a contender if we can’t find the right fit at PF next to Sabonis. In comparison, I can’t say that we’re going to have a real tough time becoming a contender if we can’t find a backup PG who is a great defender and average/below average shooter. One of those players/roles elevates this team much further and I don’t mind us taking some chances to try and find that rare player who can fit next to Sabonis.

Technically, only $7.6 mil of his contract is guaranteed this year and his entire 2024-25 salary is unguaranteed. It would be relatively cheap for them to waive Isaac.

On the flip side, if we traded Holmes + ??? for him, we’d at worst be freeing up more cap space in the 2024 off-season since Isaac’s contract is unguaranteed and Holmes has a player option he will undoubtedly keep.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Technically, only $7.6 mil of his contract is guaranteed this year and his entire 2024-25 salary is unguaranteed. It would be relatively cheap for them to waive Isaac.

On the flip side, if we traded Holmes + ??? for him, we’d at worst be freeing up more cap space in the 2024 off-season since Isaac’s contract is unguaranteed and Holmes has a player option he will undoubtedly keep.
The funny thing is that the removal of those guarantees could make it harder for us to get him. If Orlando does want to move on, a guaranteed Isaac contract could reasonably be turned into a smaller Richaun Holmes contract. Would cost us, but Orlando would save. But now, the cheapest thing for Orlando is just to waive him.

I wouldn’t consider using him to shed bad, long term salary while at the same time bringing in a near perfect complement to Sabonis (which is much much much more difficult to find than a defensive PG) to be “throwing him away.”

I recognize that we have 4 guards that deserve minutes on this roster: Fox, Huerter, Monk, & Mitchell. One of them is going to be the odd man out. It’s not going to be Fox for obvious reasons. Huerter is solid and is the only one that has the real size you want at starting SG. Monk is Fox’s best friend and it’s questionable how much Monk would return in a trade considering he’s a UFA after next season. So yes, that leaves Mitchell as an expendable asset from my POV.

Let’s be clear, we’re going to have a real tough time becoming a contender if we can’t find the right fit at PF next to Sabonis. In comparison, I can’t say that we’re going to have a real tough time becoming a contender if we can’t find a backup PG who is a great defender and average/below average shooter. One of those players/roles elevates this team much further and I don’t mind us taking some chances to try and find that rare player who can fit next to Sabonis.
I don't have an issue with the premise, obviously for the right deal you have to do what you have to do, but I do consider that to be throwing away Mitchell from the standpoint that you have no assurance that Isaac would even play one minute on the team because of his injury history

If he actually proved he could stay on the court then maybe I would be with you but at this stage that hasn't happened so I would consider giving away an asset, who's not a useless asset at all (you need perimeter defense, and he's not great, he's elite) with the work ethic that he has which doesn't grow on trees super high risk and kind of dumb

That being said I do 100% agree that we need a better 4 next to Domas, particular one that can hit an open shot, defend wings, and provide enough size and tenacity to grab boards and helps strengthen that interior.

I did mention Jerami Grant but looking at what Isaac could bring I'd be 100% intrigued as long as it were a low risk acquisition.

I don't have an issue with the premise, obviously for the right deal you have to do what you have to do, but I do consider that to be throwing away Mitchell from the standpoint that you have no assurance that Isaac would even play one minute on the team because of his injury history

If he actually proved he could stay on the court then maybe I would be with you but at this stage that hasn't happened so I would consider giving away an asset, who's not a useless asset at all (you need perimeter defense, and he's not great, he's elite) with the work ethic that he has which doesn't grow on trees super high risk and kind of dumb

That being said I do 100% agree that we need a better 4 next to Domas, particular one that can hit an open shot, defend wings, and provide enough size and tenacity to grab boards and helps strengthen that interior.

I did mention Jerami Grant but looking at what Isaac could bring I'd be 100% intrigued as long as it were a low risk acquisition.
If he actually proved that, he’d have the same value as Anunoby (and likely more since Isaac is under contract for 2 more years while Anunoby is an expiring).

Isaac isn't a bad idea, but why wouldnt you just go get Naz Reid as an UFA? Isaac has an insane amount of risk AND you're suggesting we have to trade an asset to get him? That's a hard pass.

Now, if all it cost you was Holmes and a 2nd? Ok, now that's something you consider. But I'm never trading a positive asset for the "right" to take on the tremendous Isaac injury risk profile.

Darius Bazley is an intriguing target.

I think he could be a great buy low target with the potential to be the perfect fit next to Sabonis considering...
  • He’s got great size & length (6’7.75” w/o shoes, 7’0” wingspan, 8’11” standing reach, & 208.4 lbs)
  • He’s very athletic
  • He can space the floor (3.1 3PA per36 at 37.7%)
  • He can rebound (8.1 REB per36)
  • He can protect the rim (2.0 BLK per36)
  • He’ll be the same age as Keegan at the start of next season (23 years old)
Not a bad buy-low guy, but he's the sort of prospect where he's tough to know where to fit into the lineup. He's a pretty hard-sell for a team trying to win games now. He's not good enough where he'd leapfrog anyone currently on the roster so he's just be a stash and develop guy at the end of the bench.

Isaac isn't a bad idea, but why wouldnt you just go get Naz Reid as an UFA? Isaac has an insane amount of risk AND you're suggesting we have to trade an asset to get him? That's a hard pass.

Now, if all it cost you was Holmes and a 2nd? Ok, now that's something you consider. But I'm never trading a positive asset for the "right" to take on the tremendous Isaac injury risk profile.
Well I think it’s safe to say that Reid is not the defender Isaac is and there isn’t the looming question of can Isaac defend opposing PFs (like there is with Reid). There’s risk with signing Reid in that he may not actually be the right fit just like there is risk with trading for Isaac in that he may not be able to stay healthy.

Dream off-season

-Let Barnes walk
-Turn Holmes into anything useful (Cap space, rotation player, anything)
-Retain the team option on Kessler Edwards
-Bring back Queta to fill the 3rd C/Big body role. We've spent 2 years developing him, would be a real misuse of assets to just let him walk after all that and not seeing if he's potentially an NBA rotation player.
-Resign Trey Lyles
-Sign Sasha Vezenkov
-Sign Naz Reid as the big splash to start at the 4 and effectively move to the 5 once Domas goes to the bench:

Top 10 man rotation:

Fox || Davion
Huerter || Monk
Keegan || Kessler
Naz || Vezenkov
Sabonis || Lyles

Flex Naz and Lyles at the 4/5. Would give the Kings real creative offensive looks playing them together, with Domas, or either one at the 5 in a small-ball scenario.

Flex Vezenkov at the 3. This is where I'm really not sure if Vezenkov can defend out on the perimeter at the NBA level, but I think you give it a real shot to work. His value sky-rockets if he's a 3/4 flex wing rather than stuck defending the 4.

Keep the 4 man guard rotation intact

Pick 24, Pick 38, Queta, Ellis as the development squad at the end of the bench.

Well I think it’s safe to say that Reid is not the defender Isaac is and there isn’t the looming question of can Isaac defend opposing PFs (like there is with Reid). There’s risk with signing Reid in that he may not actually be the right fit just like there is risk with trading for Isaac in that he may not be able to stay healthy.
I mean Isaac has played 11 games in 3 years. You're not only gambling whether he can stay healthy or not, but you're also gambling he's also anywhere close to being the same defensive stud before he got hurt. The on-paper fit of Isaac is far better than the reality imo. You're just dodging way too many bad outcomes for it to actually pay off. Especially if it costs you 24 or Davion.

I know Naz Reid is young, really good and a UFA. I don't have to give anything up to get him. I'd much rather just secure an excellent young player, gamble that the fit COULD work out amazing and we all of a sudden have a stud on an incredibly cheap contract.

Certainly you don't trade Davion for Isaac but the question is did other teams see the impact? Monte better be prepared before he starts getting poached. This is something Petrie was usually pretty great at. Before someone like Hedo got snagged he turned him into an all star. It hurts, but that's how you do that kind of stuff. Mitchell isn't a major concern right now, but it will come to that and the question of backup PG value is always up in the air. Monte has already talked about the concerns of being too small and in looking at majority of the teams left, that Kings G trio was getting curb stomped and benched at some point if the Kings made it out of the first round.

That said, I wonder if a Davion/filler/picks package could get a team like Sac in the conversations for OG? Dumping picks for someone like OG is scary to me but it might get the Raptors talking now. Then with that remaining space or whatever you could still bring Barnes back and maybe use part of the MLE on someone like Thybulle to bring a little more size and defensive impact back into the hole that was left.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I mean Isaac has played 11 games in 3 years. You're not only gambling whether he can stay healthy or not, but you're also gambling he's also anywhere close to being the same defensive stud before he got hurt. The on-paper fit of Isaac is far better than the reality imo. You're just dodging way too many bad outcomes for it to actually pay off. Especially if it costs you 24 or Davion.

I know Naz Reid is young, really good and a UFA. I don't have to give anything up to get him. I'd much rather just secure an excellent young player, gamble that the fit COULD work out amazing and we all of a sudden have a stud on an incredibly cheap contract.
I like Reid as a player in a Richaun+ mold. Definitely has more of a jump shot, but I'm not sure that he brings anything more to the table beyond that, at least as long as Richaun is engaged and playing hard. But it seems pretty clear that Brown wasn't too interested in giving Richaun minutes, so I have at least a bit of a concern that Reid wouldn't really fit into Brown's rotation either. If Brown wants Reid, 100%, go for him.

I think the idea on Isaac is that we could go after him if Orlando gives up and waives him - not as a trade target. At that point, you don't have to give up any assets other than $$$ to get him, and with that injury history he's probably going to have to settle for a make-good contract, so the price shouldn't be too terribly bad. With our rocket ascent into relevance and a pretty clear need for size and defense at the 4, maybe it's not such a stretch to imagine Isaac might be interested in Sacramento as a landing spot.

You're right, Davion (and probably #24) is a bit steep to try to get damaged goods at that premium contract. If Orlando **wanted** Holmes, then there's a kinda crazy you-guarantee-the-contract-and-we'll-swap deal there that would basically cost us an extra $5M per year but leave out the crapshoot of trying to get Isaac in free agency. Of course, that would mean that Holmes' money would no longer be available for other deals. But I don't really see Orlando **wanting** Richaun, and it's about $17M cheaper for them to just waive Isaac, so I don't see that happening. And even if it did, no way we throw in anything other than any necessary salary filler. Davion? Not a chance. #24? Seems unlikely unless we get down to it on draft day and all our targets are gone.

Part of this is just me being a devils advocate. My approach is still the same. We shouldn’t be giving up assets unless it’s in pursuit of a 3rd star, and we have the luxury of seeing if Murray develops into that type of player…
  • If he doesn’t take a step forward next season, maybe you open up the assets to trade for that 3rd guy.
  • If he does take a step forward, maybe you hold onto your assets for another year.
  • If he looks like a fringe star next year, maybe you start to trade some of those assets for better fitting complementary pieces around Fox-Murray-Sabonis.

Having said that, there’s nothing stopping us from trying to sign a young asset this offseason to not just hopefully improve the roster for next season but it also could give us another potential trade piece in search for a star (if Murray doesn’t grow into that player naturally).

I do find myself honing in on Naz Reid (kudos to the poster who opened my mind up about him being a PF) or PJ Washington due to their size, length, and shot blocking abilities. However, Reid may be my front runner at the moment due to…
  • Reid is a UFA while Washington is a RFA. Not to mention the Wolves have a ton of money tied up in Towns and Gobert. Do they really want to pay a 3rd big a lot of money? Does Naz want to resign with a team that give him little to no chance of starting? I think Reid would be much more attainable and might even cost us less to acquire than Washington.
  • Reid has the size & length advantage (Reid is 6’8.75” w/o shoes with a 9’1” standing reach & 7’3.25” wingspan while Washington is 6’6.5” w/o shoes with a 8’10.5” standing reach & 7’2.25” wingspan)
  • Reid is a much better rebounder (Reid averages 9.6 REB per36 while Washington averages 5.4 REB per36)
  • Reid is a better shot blocker (Reid averages 1.5 BLK per36 while Washington averages 1.2 BLK per36)
  • They’re comparable shooters (Reid averages .346 3P% on 6.2 3PA per36 while Washington averages .348 3P% on 6.5 3PA per36
  • Reid appears to be a better scorer (Reid averages .617 TS% on 22.5 PTS per36 while Washington averages .542 TS% on 17.3 PTS per36)
  • Reid is a much better lob threat (could be a nice weapon running a Fox/Monk & Reid PnR with Sabonis on the bench or Reid finishing on back door cuts and high/low action with Sabonis)
  • Reid is younger (Reid will be 24 at the start of next season while Washington will be 25 at the start of next season)

The biggest concern for me was if he has the athleticism to guard PFs full time, and the more film I watch of him, the less I think he’s a “mobile C” and the more I think he’s a PF. The way he moves, changes direction, his body control, his fluidity, etc. makes me think PF. He also looks much leaner and more athletic than his college days. I saw that he had a 14% body fat at the combine. I think he’s put in a lot of work to shed that baby fat and become a pretty fluid athlete.

I would not be opposed to going after Reid and am wondering if a $14-17 mil/year type of contract is enough to get it done (just above the MLE).

Last edited:
I like Reid as a player in a Richaun+ mold. Definitely has more of a jump shot, but I'm not sure that he brings anything more to the table beyond that, at least as long as Richaun is engaged and playing hard. But it seems pretty clear that Brown wasn't too interested in giving Richaun minutes, so I have at least a bit of a concern that Reid wouldn't really fit into Brown's rotation either. If Brown wants Reid, 100%, go for him.

I think the idea on Isaac is that we could go after him if Orlando gives up and waives him - not as a trade target. At that point, you don't have to give up any assets other than $$$ to get him, and with that injury history he's probably going to have to settle for a make-good contract, so the price shouldn't be too terribly bad. With our rocket ascent into relevance and a pretty clear need for size and defense at the 4, maybe it's not such a stretch to imagine Isaac might be interested in Sacramento as a landing spot.

You're right, Davion (and probably #24) is a bit steep to try to get damaged goods at that premium contract. If Orlando **wanted** Holmes, then there's a kinda crazy you-guarantee-the-contract-and-we'll-swap deal there that would basically cost us an extra $5M per year but leave out the crapshoot of trying to get Isaac in free agency. Of course, that would mean that Holmes' money would no longer be available for other deals. But I don't really see Orlando **wanting** Richaun, and it's about $17M cheaper for them to just waive Isaac, so I don't see that happening. And even if it did, no way we throw in anything other than any necessary salary filler. Davion? Not a chance. #24? Seems unlikely unless we get down to it on draft day and all our targets are gone.
I think the big difference with Reid is not only the jumper, but he's shown real scoring promise once given the opportunity. He straight up carried the Wolves several times throughout the season

26.1 MPG
16.5 PPG
7.0 RPG
1.8 APG
33.3% from 3 on 5.2 3PA (Not good, but not horrible either)
57.8% TS
26.4% USG (woah)
+61 (+/-) overall

And honestly, just watching him, he showed a real comfort level playing next to another big. I still kind of think of Naz as the super bulky C as a prospect, but the guy has really done a phenomenal job on his body and he's really made himself a true 4/5 flex guy. I'm just imagining him with that second unit Fox/Monk lead lineup at the 5... Oh boy. That could absolutely rip teams apart.

Check at 2:50. Gets the tough rebound, leads the break and finds Conley in the corner for the wide-open 3. That sort of play just isn't possible from Richaun Holmes. And just this one game there's all sorts of offensive moves that Holmes simply isn't capable of doing. Everything from on-ball creation scoring to relocating off-ball for a C&S 3.

Mostly though, I'm going to make the same argument I made for Vandy 2 years ago and Hartenstein last year; I don't think fit should matter when an excellent young player is a UFA and hasn't had a true breakout yet. You go get the talent and you figure it out later. At worst, you have an excellent rotation piece and an elite back-up in case of injury. At best, you find a star or high-level starter that you get to add to your core without having to spend an asset to acquire.

I never really got Richaun Holmes vibes from watching Reid. I think there are some key differences:
  1. He’s a better, more fluid athlete
  2. He’s a much better shooter
  3. He’s a much better ball handler
  4. He’s much better at taking his man off the dribble and scoring (Holmes typically relies on others or OREBs to get his points)
  5. He’s a bit longer (+1” on standing reach and +1.75” on wingspan)

I think the athleticism, ball handling, and shooting are key reasons why a Reid/Sabonis pairing could work while a Holmes/Sabonis pairing wouldn’t. Athleticism because you need one of those guys to check opposing PFs full time. Ball handling because opposing defenses would swarm/pressure Holmes having the ball out on the perimeter (not afraid that he’ll put the ball on the ground and blow by them). Shooting because teams can easily sag off of Holmes and clog the paint for Fox/Sabonis.

Part of this is just me being a devils advocate. My approach is still the same. We shouldn’t be giving up assets unless it’s in pursuit of a 3rd star, and we have the luxury of seeing if Murray develops into that type of player…
  • If he doesn’t take a step forward next season, maybe you open up the assets to trade for that 3rd guy.
  • If he does take a step forward, maybe you hold onto your assets for another year.
  • If he looks like a fringe star next year, maybe you start to trade some of those assets for better fitting complementary pieces around Fox-Murray-Sabonis.

Having said that, there’s nothing stopping us from trying to sign a young asset this offseason to not just hopefully improve the roster for next season but it also could give us another potential trade piece in search for a star (if Murray doesn’t grow into that player naturally).

I do find myself honing in on Naz Reid (kudos to the poster who opened my mind up about him being a PF) or PJ Washington due to their size, length, and shot blocking abilities. However, Reid may be my front runner at the moment due to…
  • Reid is a UFA while Washington is a RFA. Not to mention the Wolves have a ton of money tied up in Towns and Gobert. Do they really want to pay a 3rd big a lot of money? Does Naz want to resign with a team that give him little to no chance of starting? I think Reid would be much more attainable and might even cost us less to acquire than Washington.
  • Reid has the size & length advantage (Reid is 6’8.75” w/o shoes with a 9’1” standing reach & 7’3.25” wingspan while Washington is 6’6.5” w/o shoes with a 8’10.5” standing reach & 7’2.25” wingspan)
  • Reid is a much better rebounder (Reid averages 9.6 REB per36 while Washington averages 5.4 REB per36)
  • Reid is a better shot blocker (Reid averages 1.5 BLK per36 while Washington averages 1.2 BLK per36)
  • They’re comparable shooters (Reid averages .346 3P% on 6.2 3PA per36 while Washington averages .348 3P% on 6.5 3PA per36
  • Reid appears to be a better scorer (Reid averages .617 TS% on 22.5 PTS per36 while Washington averages .542 TS% on 17.3 PTS per36)
  • Reid is a much better lob threat (could be a nice weapon running a Fox/Monk & Reid PnR with Sabonis on the bench or Reid finishing on back door cuts and high/low action with Sabonis)
  • Reid is younger (Reid will be 24 at the start of next season while Washington will be 25 at the start of next season)

The biggest concern for me was if he has the athleticism to guard PFs full time, and the more film I watch of him, the less I think he’s a “mobile C” and the more I think he’s a PF. The way he moves, changes direction, his body control, his fluidity, etc. makes me think PF. He also looks much leaner and more athletic than his college days. I saw that he had a 14% body fat at the combine. I think he’s put in a lot of work to shed that baby fat and become a pretty fluid athlete.

I would not be opposed to going after Reid and am wondering if a $14-17 mil/year type of contract is enough to get it done.
Yeah, I'm becoming more and more sold on Reid's upside compared to a Grant Williams or PJW. Both guys are excellent, would help this team, but are there really any paths to them developing up a tier past "excellent role player?" Which is certainly a valuable role and much needed on the Kings, but especially once you factor in the UFA status of Reid vs the RFA status of PJW and Williams... I think that really should shade us to going and getting Reid.

I think the real advantage of Reid is his 4/5 flex potential. He's not a guy you'd want to go have defend 4's for 30+ MPG, but I think if you split with like 15-18 MPG at the 4 and 15-18 MPG at the back-up 5? Now we're getting somewhere. Not only would that plug the massive hole we've had all season at the back-up 5, but it would make that bench unit offense damn near impossible for other 2nd units to keep up with. And I think Reid has shown the ability he can play with another big on the floor and I think just his size will be able to help Domas overcome some of his defensive deficiencies.

There's no perfect solution at the 4. All those guys are top 5 picks or cost you Keegan Murray+2-3 FRP. We're either going to have to choose to sacrifice the offense a bit and get someone like a Naz Reid/PJW/Grant Williams in there, or we'll just have to punt defense all-together and keep the HB/Vezenkov/Cam Johnson type archetype in that slot. I think where Naz gets real interesting is he can help overcome some of those defensive/rebounding problems, but with a real offensive upside to potentially be a feature offensive guy as well.

Yeah, I'm becoming more and more sold on Reid's upside compared to a Grant Williams or PJW. Both guys are excellent, would help this team, but are there really any paths to them developing up a tier past "excellent role player?" Which is certainly a valuable role and much needed on the Kings, but especially once you factor in the UFA status of Reid vs the RFA status of PJW and Williams... I think that really should shade us to going and getting Reid.

I think the real advantage of Reid is his 4/5 flex potential. He's not a guy you'd want to go have defend 4's for 30+ MPG, but I think if you split with like 15-18 MPG at the 4 and 15-18 MPG at the back-up 5? Now we're getting somewhere. Not only would that plug the massive hole we've had all season at the back-up 5, but it would make that bench unit offense damn near impossible for other 2nd units to keep up with. And I think Reid has shown the ability he can play with another big on the floor and I think just his size will be able to help Domas overcome some of his defensive deficiencies.

There's no perfect solution at the 4. We're either going to have to choose to sacrifice the offense a bit and get someone like a Naz Reid/PJW/Grant Williams in there, or we'll just have to punt defense all-together and keep the HB/Vezenkov/Cam Johnson type archetype in that slot. I think where Naz gets real interesting is he can help overcome some of those defensive/rebounding problems, but with a real offensive upside to potentially be a feature offensive guy as well.
Yeah, his 22.5 PTS per36 on .617 TS% is truly eye opening and impressive. And it makes you ask the question “is there a lot more untapped potential here?” I mean when you filter to only players with a USG% of .240 or above (and filter to only players with at least 30 GP and 15 mpg), he has the 14th highest TS% in the league behind:
  1. Nikola Jokic
  2. Kevin Durant
  3. Steph Curry
  4. Joel Embiid
  5. Jimmy Butler
  6. Damian Lillard
  7. Lauri Markkanen
  8. Bojan Bogdanovic
  9. Anthony Davis
  10. Kristaps Porzingis
  11. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
  12. Christian Wood
  13. Kawhi Leonard
That’s pretty impressive for a 23 year old that you could maybe sign for a little over the MLE.

I don't think Naz Reid is the ultimate solution because I don't think he's someone that's going to be guarding wings, I don't even know if he has that ability

I think we need more of a forward where I see him more as a 4/5 ish

Like I think he'd be a good pickup but I still think we need someone at the 4 that can guard the perimeter

I think Reid will be a tough get since imo he will have arguably more interest due to a lower salary and good upside than say Grant Williams or much bigger names. I think a lot of teams will be in on Reid he's a realistic target also he's literally nothing like Holmes he's a "skill based" big rather than a effort/athletic ability based big like Holmes. He's like a bigger/more athletic better Trey Lyles if anything.

If the Kings are going the Issac route than just try get Poku instead imo (probs use to train with Sasha at Olympiacous?)

Last edited:
I don't think Naz Reid is the ultimate solution because I don't think he's someone that's going to be guarding wings, I don't even know if he has that ability

I think we need more of a forward where I see him more as a 4/5 ish

Like I think he'd be a good pickup but I still think we need someone at the 4 that can guard the perimeter
He doesn't have to be the "ultimate solution" Monte has built a flexible Roster and that's the exact direction we should be going for right now. First step go to the draft and pick the best wing defender.

Dream off-season

-Let Barnes walk
-Turn Holmes into anything useful (Cap space, rotation player, anything)
-Retain the team option on Kessler Edwards
-Bring back Queta to fill the 3rd C/Big body role. We've spent 2 years developing him, would be a real misuse of assets to just let him walk after all that and not seeing if he's potentially an NBA rotation player.
-Resign Trey Lyles
-Sign Sasha Vezenkov
-Sign Naz Reid as the big splash to start at the 4 and effectively move to the 5 once Domas goes to the bench:

Top 10 man rotation:

Fox || Davion
Huerter || Monk
Keegan || Kessler
Naz || Vezenkov
Sabonis || Lyles

Flex Naz and Lyles at the 4/5. Would give the Kings real creative offensive looks playing them together, with Domas, or either one at the 5 in a small-ball scenario.

Flex Vezenkov at the 3. This is where I'm really not sure if Vezenkov can defend out on the perimeter at the NBA level, but I think you give it a real shot to work. His value sky-rockets if he's a 3/4 flex wing rather than stuck defending the 4.

Keep the 4 man guard rotation intact

Pick 24, Pick 38, Queta, Ellis as the development squad at the end of the bench.
I agree with almost everything but Sasha at the 3. That said, if we are able to move Holmes for cap space we would probably be able to sign an athletic 3 to back up Keegan. (Oubre/Hart etc.) And us signing Reid is all based off the premise that Keegan and develop his body and become a small forward. If we believe he can then I think our offensive ceiling is even higher than it is now.

I think the big difference with Reid is not only the jumper, but he's shown real scoring promise once given the opportunity. He straight up carried the Wolves several times throughout the season

26.1 MPG
16.5 PPG
7.0 RPG
1.8 APG
33.3% from 3 on 5.2 3PA (Not good, but not horrible either)
57.8% TS
26.4% USG (woah)
+61 (+/-) overall

And honestly, just watching him, he showed a real comfort level playing next to another big. I still kind of think of Naz as the super bulky C as a prospect, but the guy has really done a phenomenal job on his body and he's really made himself a true 4/5 flex guy. I'm just imagining him with that second unit Fox/Monk lead lineup at the 5... Oh boy. That could absolutely rip teams apart.

Check at 2:50. Gets the tough rebound, leads the break and finds Conley in the corner for the wide-open 3. That sort of play just isn't possible from Richaun Holmes. And just this one game there's all sorts of offensive moves that Holmes simply isn't capable of doing. Everything from on-ball creation scoring to relocating off-ball for a C&S 3.

Mostly though, I'm going to make the same argument I made for Vandy 2 years ago and Hartenstein last year; I don't think fit should matter when an excellent young player is a UFA and hasn't had a true breakout yet. You go get the talent and you figure it out later. At worst, you have an excellent rotation piece and an elite back-up in case of injury. At best, you find a star or high-level starter that you get to add to your core without having to spend an asset to acquire.
Seems as if anytime you want a player over the offseason, that means some other team is guaranteed to get that player for pennies on the dollar.

Then at the trade deadline, the Lakers will trade 5 doge coins for that player and make a deep playoff run because of it.

Oubre is not my favorite. Neither is Jonathan Issac. But…

Both are at a point in their careers where if they committed to a winning role on a make good contract - I could get interested.

I’m still holding out some hope we make a move for Siakam. The chemistry in Toronto is bad - and they need to choose a core. Even though he’s not a good 3pt shooter, the pocket passing between he and Sabonis could be stellar.

And us signing Reid is all based off the premise that Keegan and develop his body and become a small forward. If we believe he can then I think our offensive ceiling is even higher than it is now.
This is a good point to think about further. The best 5 in the roster you posted is:

Fox - Huerter/Monk - Murray - Naz - Sabonis.

So what happens if Keegan is not able to defend the opposing team's Small Forward? I mean the Kawhi, Tatum, Brown, PG types who have good length, athleticism and mobility. Luka is another who will rip thru this defense, despite being slower. Fox and Davion will not be able to help, since they are too small for that. Then you might have to think about sitting Naz, moving Murray to PF and hoping Kessler can cut it at SF. There is no other alternative.

That's why I'm so keen on the Kings FO doing whatever it takes to land Herbert Jones (and Cam Johnson).

Fox - Herbert - Murray - Cam - Sabonis
Fox - Huerter - Herbert - Murray/Cam - Sabonis

Kings can have 2x lead perimeter defenders (Fox on small guards and Herb on forwards), 2x shooters (from Cam, Huerter, Murray, Monk), and 2x play-makers (Fox, Sabonis) on the court for majority of minutes. If they can also get Jericho Sims, then when Sabonis sits, now there will be moments when the team has 3x lead defenders on the court. He also provides superb rebounding and a genuine PnR lob threat with his vert.

Fox/Davion - Huerter/Monk - Herbert - Cam/Murray - Sims

#options

Last edited: