Who Should We Sign? (2023 Off-Season)

Assuming they would agree to sign here, which SF/PF would be your top choice in free agency?

• Cam Johnson

• Dillon Brooks

• Grant Williams

• Jae Crowder

• Jalen McDaniels

• Jerami Grant

• Josh Hart

• Kyle Kuzma

• PJ Washington

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oh NOW we're talking. Send them a few seconds so they "get something" and bring our starting 4 right over.
If he wants 20 a year I'd give that a heck no unless it's a shorter term deal. That could be the albatross that keeps you from contending if you do indeed need a bump. The only upside is in college he looked to have offensive skills yet untapped, or underutilized at the NBA level. He's actually quite the boom or bust type of signing. He could very well be worth the money he wants, or nothing close.

If he wants 20 a year I'd give that a heck no unless it's a shorter term deal. That could be the albatross that keeps you from contending if you do indeed need a bump. The only upside is in college he looked to have offensive skills yet untapped, or underutilized at the NBA level. He's actually quite the boom or bust type of signing. He could very well be worth the money he wants, or nothing close.
I mean, BOS is probably doing (us) a favor here by keeping him out of the rotation for really no reason. While Reaves very well could be like 25mil/season by the end of this playoffs lol; Grant Williams certainly is losing leverage by not playing at all.

I'd be very comfortable in paying him what I would pay Naz Reid: 4/50- 4/60. That's about the going rate for a good starter and one that has theoretical upside left in his games.

Austin Reaves with another hot start in Game 2 against DEN. Should the Kings look to prise him away from the Lakers by making an offer they cannot match? Something like 4-years @ 70M?

If the Kings FO go for Reaves, then they should probably trade Huerter? Is there a good big Forward who can play next to Sabonis and Murray, that is gettable for Huerter +?

Austin Reaves with another hot start in Game 2 against DEN. Should the Kings look to prise him away from the Lakers by making an offer they cannot match? Something like 4-years @ 70M?

If the Kings FO go for Reaves, then they should probably trade Huerter? Is there a good big Forward who can play next to Sabonis and Murray, that is gettable for Huerter +?
OG. Not sure is Huerter and picks would get it done, but he’s going to be a FA next year so maybe

OG. Not sure is Huerter and picks would get it done, but he’s going to be a FA next year so maybe
That would be amazing TBH. The FO should give it a try at least. Can still also try picking up Naz Reid with the NTMLE.

Fox/Davion, Reaves/Monk, OG/Kessler, Murray/Lyles, Sabonis/Reid

If Reaves is a no-go, I would also look real hard at taking Rui Hachimura off their roster. He is looking like a whole new player after leaving the Wizards.

Last edited:
That would be amazing TBH. The FO should give it a try at least. Can still also try picking up Naz Reid with the NTMLE.

Fox/Davion, Reaves/Monk, OG/Kessler, Murray/Lyles, Sabonis/Reid

If Reaves is a no-go, I would also look real hard at taking Rui Hachimura off their roster. He is looking like a whole new player after leaving the Wizards.
Nice. Also don’t forget about Sasha. Should be an interesting/exciting offseason. Can’t wait

Nice. Also don’t forget about Sasha. Should be an interesting/exciting offseason. Can’t wait
There could be a place for Sasha too but I think he will have to earn it with defense and what he does off the ball.

Hachimura is doing it all; creating his own mid-range shots, driving to the rim, shooting from range, defending the perimeter and rebounding. So if the FO gets Rui, he would be who I pencil in to start the season.

Fox/Davion, Huerter/Monk, Murray/Kessler, Hachimura/Sasha/Lyles, Sabonis/Reid

I could see Rui and Sasha play some minutes together too.

Last edited:

People must have not watched the Lakers much.. Reaves is a clear upgrade over Huerter and he doesn’t drop the ball when it matters most.

The same people who say that Reaves is good because he’s playing next to Bron and AD are the same ones clamoring that Fox-Sabonis are good enough to win you a ring. Why exactly can’t Reaves do what he’s doing in LA, here?

The Kings need all the talent they can get. We shouldn’t scoff off a clear upgrade at SG. He’s also a guy not willing to back down or play physical when needed. How many teammates went at Draymond for what he did to Sabonis? The Kings are missing that grit.. Reaves gives us all of those intangibles, plus he’s an upgrade over Huerter.

The way I see it: try to sign Reaves, then trade Huerter for a SF/PF. I'd go with Jaden Daniels. Minny needs the offense and 3pt shooting.

People must have not watched the Lakers much.. Reaves is a clear upgrade over Huerter and he doesn’t drop the ball when it matters most.

The same people who say that Reaves is good because he’s playing next to Bron and AD are the same ones clamoring that Fox-Sabonis are good enough to win you a ring. Why exactly can’t Reaves do what he’s doing in LA, here?

The Kings need all the talent they can get. We shouldn’t scoff off a clear upgrade at SG. He’s also a guy not willing to back down or play physical when needed. How many teammates went at Draymond for what he did to Sabonis? The Kings are missing that grit.. Reaves gives us all of those intangibles, plus he’s an upgrade over Huerter.

The way I see it: try to sign Reaves, then trade Huerter for a SF/PF. I'd go with Jaden Daniels. Minny needs the offense and 3pt shooting.
Jaden McDaniels (from Minny) is a really good suggestion. I like that fit, and they do need the 3-point shooting.

Btw, I have been impressed by Austin Reaves' feisty competitiveness and quick thinking play in critical moments. He is showing a clutch gene.

The Kings are so close to having the type of depth that is needed to make that final push for a ring, if the FO does not screw up.

There is rumors that Vuc will take a massive pay-cut to go back to Orlando to back up...WCJ, I reckon the Kings should try sell him on the idea off winning a ring. If he's willing to accept a bench role I would love it to be in Sactown. He would solve alot of issues as the back up 5 and even at times for small spurts him and Sabonis at the 4/5. For 10-12per year for 1-2 years not a bad deal.....

Vuc is still a starter caliber center. I like Vuc but I'm not sure if he would be OK with a backup role. Moreover, it would be his final big contract and he would chase the money.

I wonder if Brooke Lopez is a possibility? With the firing of the Bucks coach and flame out in the playoffs, maybe Brooke becomes attainable with a big FA offer? He is a central Cali native too.

He's 35 years old, so he probably only has a couple years left in his window, but he would allow Domas to slide over to the 4 and Lopez can man the 5 with his defense, shot blocking and 3 point shooting, a 3 and D center with massive size to bang with the big centers like Embiid, Jokic, Adams.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, BOS is probably doing (us) a favor here by keeping him out of the rotation for really no reason. While Reaves very well could be like 25mil/season by the end of this playoffs lol; Grant Williams certainly is losing leverage by not playing at all.

I'd be very comfortable in paying him what I would pay Naz Reid: 4/50- 4/60. That's about the going rate for a good starter and one that has theoretical upside left in his games.
I like Williams and he's more on the Fox/Domas timeline, but at that rate, is he an actual upgrade over Barnes?

I wonder if Brooke Lopez is a possibility? With the firing of the Bucks coach and flame out in the playoffs, maybe Brooke becomes attainable with a big FA offer? He is a central Cali native too.

He's 35 years old, so he probably only has a couple years left in his window, but he would allow Domas to slide over to the 4 and Lopez can man the 5 with his defense, shot blocking and 3 point shooting, a 3 and D center with massive size to bang with the big centers like Embiid, Jokic, Adams.
I think the kneejerk reaction is that Myles Turner and Domas didn't work so this wouldn't either, but Lopez has settled in to much more of a stretch 5 where Turner definitely wanted more touches in the paint. Defensively it solves the rim protection issue, but it also means Domas has to guard 4's who are primarily big wings at this point vs traditional big PFs. That doesn't play to his strengths and would put more rebounding pressure on Brook since Domas would be further from the basket on most possessions.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I feel as though some guys get way to much hype and have been helped out but their surroundings…..not to say they aren’t good players but they aren’t THAT good……not enough to be a final piece. Grant Williams, Austin Reeves, any big center who can shoot a 3 and then moving Domas to the 4. That would be disastrous. We would get killed on the perimeter trying to defend.

I do believe we are in position to make low level upgrades to acquire role players who can give us what we don’t have so that in the playoffs, we can match up better with every team. In other words, wings with length but I’m not sure I want guys for 20-25 mill in an overpay. Monte will be looking for the next Trey Lyles role player acquisition.

I think Vuc and Domas could work just fine together. That would also potentially allow the Kings to slow the game down a bit and take some onus off of the team to jump too far up as a defensive team. Especially with the Kings space and help scheme extra size would actually help if they are going to continue with that.

I feel as though some guys get way to much hype and have been helped out but their surroundings…..not to say they aren’t good players but they aren’t THAT good……not enough to be a final piece. Grant Williams, Austin Reeves, any big center who can shoot a 3 and then moving Domas to the 4. That would be disastrous. We would get killed on the perimeter trying to defend.

I do believe we are in position to make low level upgrades to acquire role players who can give us what we don’t have so that in the playoffs, we can match up better with every team. In other words, wings with length but I’m not sure I want guys for 20-25 mill in an overpay. Monte will be looking for the next Trey Lyles role player acquisition.
It still all depends where the ceiling is with this roster. Typically you don't make that next jump from the back of your rotation. Trey had a good season but if the Kings don't continue to improve and head upwards in terms of trajectory it's always those Trey Lyles types that are on the verge of being totally out of your rotation. See TD for example. Brown even had to make a choice to go back to playing Terence in the playoffs because the Kings were struggling to find another shot maker with Fox not 100%. This team as is doesn't lack depth. They were considered by many to be one of the deeper teams. Depth is good but in the playoffs when you start cutting down to that 8-9 it doesn't really do much for you. Maybe a Trey Lyles type is all the Kings need, but we saw Fox have to go way beyond what he should have to to keep the team competitive. He basically carried the whole team by himself at points in that series. He needs help. Now, that could come in the form of a really good 2 way player and an uptick in role from someone like Keegan, or Sasha being that next offensive game changer. There are possibilities for sure.

You think Austin Reeves would be as "disastrous" on the perimeter as Kevin Huerter?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Reggie Bullock was an interesting target a few years back but part of the reason the Mavs struggled post Kyrie trade was the fact Bullock regressed a ton defensively and was super inconsistent on offense and couldn't do his part to make up for DFS being gone. He's also sneakily old. Wouldn't mind getting him if it were part of a move to shed Richaun's salary or something though (Bullock is an expiring contract). Trading them for each other straight up works financially so maybe we package the picks Dallas sent us last draft back to them with Richaun (who would probably immediately look like a stud again running non-stop pick and roll actions with Luka every single night) for Bullock, who at the very least would give us more wing depth that isn't power forward sized.

Us targeting the two best wings available on the trade market also remains the least surprising thing in the world. Of course we'd like a borderline all-star two-way stud wing (Mikal) or probably the best individual defender in the league still yet to hit his prime (OG).

Reggie Bullock was an interesting target a few years back but part of the reason the Mavs struggled post Kyrie trade was the fact Bullock regressed a ton defensively and was super inconsistent on offense and couldn't do his part to make up for DFS being gone. He's also sneakily old. Wouldn't mind getting him if it were part of a move to shed Richaun's salary or something though (Bullock is an expiring contract). Trading them for each other straight up works financially so maybe we package the picks Dallas sent us last draft back to them with Richaun (who would probably immediately look like a stud again running non-stop pick and roll actions with Luka every single night) for Bullock, who at the very least would give us more wing depth that isn't power forward sized.

Us targeting the two best wings available on the trade market also remains the least surprising thing in the world. Of course we'd like a borderline all-star two-way stud wing (Mikal) or probably the best individual defender in the league still yet to hit his prime (OG).
Are we sure this isn’t a standard BR listicle about who teams *should* target?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I see Austin Reeves and Rui as this years Kevin Looney, part of a system with big name players that take away all the attention. I need to see more out of them before I believe a GM like Monte should throw big money their way.

My full current wish-list...

- Trade Davion and #24 to the Pelicans for Herbert.
- Sign Austin Reaves from the Lakers (4-years @ $80M).
- Trade Huerter and Holmes to the Nets for Cam Johnson (S&T, 4 years @ $100M?).
- Sign Naz Reid for the NTMLE ($12M per season?).
- Trade Len and 2nds to the Knicks for Jericho Sims, to help deal with Jokic/Giannis/Embiid/AD... and for entertainment with his dunks. I would especially like to see him catch Lebron, Draymond, Embiid, Gobert, KAT and Jaylen Brown with a poster.

Fox/Monk, Reaves/Davis, Murray/Herbert, Cam/Lyles, Sabonis/Naz/Sims

The number of combinations for different match-ups are endless with Herb being able to play 2-4, Monk and Reaves being able to play 1-2, Murray being able to play 3-4, Naz being able to play 4-5, and Sims being a rebounding beast who can jump up to the beam.

Anyway, it may be hard to pull off these deals... but if the Kings FO can do them all... it would probably be the deepest roster I have seen in a long time, and yet one that could be kept together for a long time too. This is the sort of depth I feel is needed to overcome other deep teams (like the Celtics, GSW, Bucks, Lakers, Nuggets and whoever else loads up next season) and to actually win the whole thing... not just make up the numbers by reaching the WCF or NBA finals and then lose.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's funny, that's a pretty big dropoff from the first two to the last name. You target the other two and settle for the 3rd if need be lol. All would certainly help though.

Barkley pointed out something about Grant Williams in Game 2 that seems important... although he positions himself well and plays good defense, he rarely gets any actual stops. I do not think he is a good fit next to Sabonis and Murray.

Last edited:
Barkley pointed out something about Grant Williams in Game 2... although he positions himself well and plays good defense, he rarely gets any actual stops. So he is probably not a good fit next to Sabonis and Murray.
Grant plays defense about as well as anyone is allowed to. He has his drawbacks but no doubt he's an impact defender for the most part. He's not a lockdown defender but who is anymore. This is a league based on firepower over all else.

A lot of people are saying we need shot blocking but do we? The two teams destined to make the finals this year have zero above the rim protection, Bam/Jokic/Zeller/Love/Gordon/Jeff Green (AG and Green are the back up C's for Den) none of these "bigs" defend the rim. Bam imo is the best defender in the NBA by a wide margin but even he despite him insane athletic ability rarely goes above the rim and does all his work on the floor. GSW last season also had as their bigs Looney/Green/Bjell?/? (anyone I'm missing).

I notice a lot of these catch and dunk big's and "elite" rim protectors who don't have a two way game get smashed in the playoffs time after time. Claxton/Allen/Gobert/Jackson/Mitchell Robinson/Robert Williams are dead weight come playoffs but are impactful during the regular season.