Who do you want, if the Kings pick #6 to #8 overall in the draft?

Who do you want the Kings to pick at the #6 to #8 slot?

• Mikal Bridges

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Miles Bridges

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Wendell Carter

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Jaren Jackson

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Kevin Knox

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Collin Sexton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trae Young

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Someone from the top 5 will slide to the Kings, WHO?

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kings wouldn't have enough capital to pull off those trades though.
I think we would for Jokic as I believe he’d put us on his list and would stay if we traded Fox.

And on Jokic Denver is keeping Mike Malone which is odd cause I thought Jokic didn’t like him. Even if Denver made him a restricted free agen couldn’t Jokic just not sign with any team this year so Denver couldn’t match and become unrestricted next year?

There's a great chance Mikal Bridges is available at 8. There's a great chance he's available at 10 also.

He seems to have become the WCS or Fox of this years draft for Kings fans. There seems to be a general consensus about him that he would be the right guy. Not necessarily saying that it's a bad thing, but it definitely seems to be a common theme. I think it's very likely he's there when we pick, most teams in those spots prefer younger, higher upside players.

I actually prefer Miles to Mikal, but I do still like the latter and would be fine with him depending on who is on the board.

I think we would for Jokic as I believe he’d put us on his list and would stay if we traded Fox.

And on Jokic Denver is keeping Mike Malone which is odd cause I thought Jokic didn’t like him. Even if Denver made him a restricted free agen couldn’t Jokic just not sign with any team this year so Denver couldn’t match and become unrestricted next year?
I think Jokic can accept the QO, and play for dirt cheap next year..then become unrestricted in 2019. If he sits out, Denver will still have his rights either way.

If we did decide to make a push for Jokic, we have to make sure it's worth it. Playoff push would be our goal? Hypothetically if he were available, I think it would take Fox+WCS+7th pick. On our roster we'd have:

Bogdanovic/Mason
Buddy/Temple
Shumpert/Jackson
Randolph/Skal/Giles
Jokic/Koufos/Giles

We just have to make sure that adding Jokic isn't a lateral move. Of course he's an amazing player, but I think it might end up as a lateral move just because we'd be giving up so much capital for him.

Everything would be looming on FA. Just a gut feeling, I don't think Temple, Shumpert, or Koufos opts out. Temple won't get more in the open market. Shumpert definitely won't get more. Koufos might get less, but more years.

I like pushing for Jokic, but I don't know if we can make the playoffs with him.

I think Jokic can accept the QO, and play for dirt cheap next year..then become unrestricted in 2019. If he sits out, Denver will still have his rights either way.

If we did decide to make a push for Jokic, we have to make sure it's worth it. Playoff push would be our goal? Hypothetically if he were available, I think it would take Fox+WCS+7th pick. On our roster we'd have:

Bogdanovic/Mason
Buddy/Temple
Shumpert/Jackson
Randolph/Skal/Giles
Jokic/Koufos/Giles

We just have to make sure that adding Jokic isn't a lateral move. Of course he's an amazing player, but I think it might end up as a lateral move just because we'd be giving up so much capital for him.

Everything would be looming on FA. Just a gut feeling, I don't think Temple, Shumpert, or Koufos opts out. Temple won't get more in the open market. Shumpert definitely won't get more. Koufos might get less, but more years.

I like pushing for Jokic, but I don't know if we can make the playoffs with him.
Jokic has a ton of leverage in this situation. It would hopefully only cost one of WCS/Fox/pick + one of Buddy/Skal/Giles to make it happen. If he takes the QO they know he’s gone next year, and he can dictate where he wants to go via sign and trade this summer. I give it 30/70, but it’s possible. Put another way, if he does leave it will be via sign and trade with the Kings.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's a great chance Mikal Bridges is available at 8. There's a great chance he's available at 10 also.

He seems to have become the WCS or Fox of this years draft for Kings fans. There seems to be a general consensus about him that he would be the right guy. Not necessarily saying that it's a bad thing, but it definitely seems to be a common theme. I think it's very likely he's there when we pick, most teams in those spots prefer younger, higher upside players.

I actually prefer Miles to Mikal, but I do still like the latter and would be fine with him depending on who is on the board.
Like you, I won't complain about either of them as our choice, I just happen prefer Mikal. He's taller, longer, a better defender, and a better shooter. And personally I think he has higher BBIQ than Miles, who tends to play out of control at times. I do think that Miles is a slightly better athlete, and certainly has a flair for the dramatic, and some scouts would argue a higher upside than Mikal. I also know who Mikal is, and I'm not sure what Miles is. But he is fun to watch. Hey, Miles has one less year of college ball than Mikal, so who knows how big a leap he would have taken next year if he stayed at Mich. St.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jokic has a ton of leverage in this situation. It would hopefully only cost one of WCS/Fox/pick + one of Buddy/Skal/Giles to make it happen. If he takes the QO they know he’s gone next year, and he can dictate where he wants to go via sign and trade this summer. I give it 30/70, but it’s possible. Put another way, if he does leave it will be via sign and trade with the Kings.
Do you honestly think any of this is going to happen? This is nonsense! Do you think that the Kings spent an entire season developing the players on the roster to just trade them away in the offseason? Chemistry, culture and plan be dammed. Lets just get that revolving door oiled and see how fast we can get these guys out of here.

Bogdanovic/Mason
Buddy/Temple
Shumpert/Jackson
Randolph/Skal/Giles
Jokic/Koufos/Giles

There is no qualifying offer in place for Jokic. Its a team option, which I'm sure that the team will pick up. So its not a matter of Jokic accepting a qualifying offer. He's simply under contract for next year, and unfortunately for him, it's chump change. After next year he's an unrestricted free agent. So why in gods name would we give up half our team in a trade for a player that's going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season. We can wait till the end of the season when we'll have over 60 mil in cap space and give him an offer then. If were truly interested

Do you honestly think any of this is going to happen? This is nonsense! Do you think that the Kings spent an entire season developing the players on the roster to just trade them away in the offseason? Chemistry, culture and plan be dammed. Lets just get that revolving door oiled and see how fast we can get these guys out of here.

There is no qualifying offer in place for Jokic. Its a team option, which I'm sure that the team will pick up. So its not a matter of Jokic accepting a qualifying offer. He's simply under contract for next year, and unfortunately for him, it's chump change. After next year he's an unrestricted free agent. So why in gods name would we give up half our team in a trade for a player that's going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season. We can wait till the end of the season when we'll have over 60 mil in cap space and give him an offer then. If were truly interested
From the SBN article: Because Jokic is a second-round pick, the Nuggets can reject the club option for 2018-19 this summer. Jokic would then become a restricted free agent on July 1. The Nuggets would then maintain the right to match any offer sheet he signs, if he doesn’t first sign a max contract with the Nuggets.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/16998688/nikola-jokic-contract-free-agent-denver-nuggets-nba

So it sounds like the Nuggets can reject the TO, and make him a RFA this season. If he becomes a RFA, then it means he also gets the QO right? He's going to be RFA this year no matter what.

Kings have no shot at him in the 2019 FA unless Denver idiotically picks up his team option, or unless him and his team sign the QO.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So it sounds like the Nuggets can reject the TO, and make him a RFA this season. If he becomes a RFA, then it means he also gets the QO right?
Well, technically not necessarily. Players don't get a QO automatically on the basis of being an RFA, the team has to actually specifically give them the QO. However, in this case Denver will 100% give Jokic the QO if they turn down his team option - turning down the option would be a move that specifically was made with giving him the QO in mind.

So, in this case, yes that is absolutely what will happen, but it is not happening by rule - Denver would be allowed to decline to give a QO.

d
No, but it’s a fun re-direct from the “let’s max Jabari” conversation. I can’t think of very many more obviously bad contracts at the time they were signed than a Jabari max. I’ll put it like this: we better pursue Jokic this summer. I doubt he ends up anywhere but Denver, but if he takes any meetings whatsoever, we need to give him the full court press and make him second guess going back to Denver.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, technically not necessarily. Players don't get a QO automatically on the basis of being an RFA, the team has to actually specifically give them the QO. However, in this case Denver will 100% give Jokic the QO if they turn down his team option - turning down the option would be a move that specifically was made with giving him the QO in mind.

So, in this case, yes that is absolutely what will happen, but it is not happening by rule - Denver would be allowed to decline to give a QO.
Seems to me that the smart move would be to negotiate an extension without letting him hit the market place, if possible. Making him a restricted free agent means that if you want to keep him you'll have to match whatever offer he decides to take. You might get him cheaper if you do an extension before that happens. Not sure what the extensions rules are concerning him. Haven't taken the time to look it up. Right now the Nuggets are committed to 85 mil in salary and that's with letting Arthur and Chandler walk. Both their salaries combined add up to around 20 mil. So they could give Jokic a max salary of around 31 mil a year and still stay under the luxury tax threshold.

I could be out in left field here on the extension. I couldn't find any extension deadline that pertained to Jokic listed. The only deadline I could find was his team option deadline for June 29th.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No, but it’s a fun re-direct from the “let’s max Jabari” conversation. I can’t think of very many more obviously bad contracts at the time they were signed than a Jabari max. I’ll put it like this: we better pursue Jokic this summer. I doubt he ends up anywhere but Denver, but if he takes any meetings whatsoever, we need to give him the full court press and make him second guess going back to Denver.
I have no problem with pursuing him. And if they make him a restricted free agent, we'll be able to do just that. But the final word with be Denver's. We can offer, and Jokic can accept, but all Denver has to do is match. I might add that about all we'll have to offer is around 20 mil a year unless one of Koufos, Temple, or Shumpert opts out. The Lakers on the other hand will have a ton of cash to throw around, and don't be surprised if they become a player in this game.

If you think we wouldn’t trade Fox, Buddy, Bridges, and WCS for Jokic you’re out of your damn mind.

From the SBN article: Because Jokic is a second-round pick, the Nuggets can reject the club option for 2018-19 this summer. Jokic would then become a restricted free agent on July 1. The Nuggets would then maintain the right to match any offer sheet he signs, if he doesn’t first sign a max contract with the Nuggets.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/16998688/nikola-jokic-contract-free-agent-denver-nuggets-nba

So it sounds like the Nuggets can reject the TO, and make him a RFA this season. If he becomes a RFA, then it means he also gets the QO right? He's going to be RFA this year no matter what.

Kings have no shot at him in the 2019 FA unless Denver idiotically picks up his team option, or unless him and his team sign the QO.
Our only shot is in 2019 this year he’d be restricted and Denver isn’t gonna sign and trade him. We have to hope Denver picks up the option and he becomes unrestricted next year while they fail to make the playoffs. At the point we send Bogdan/Vlade to his house and lock him in till he signs

I think the Porter trade works out for both teams as Washington is in cap hell. Taking off 50mill over the next 2 years while adding WCS plus a the number 7 pick is a great get for them. We’d get an extremely talented player who is young and plays a position of need. I’d rather do that than wait 2-3 years for Bamba whose not guaranteed or Bridges
I get the idea the Kings FO is more sold on WCS than many of us, but I like the idea enough of getting Otto Porter from Washington. I would even throw in Justin Jackson as well since I'm not a fan.
I like Mikal Bridges as our pick but there is that development time to take into consideration and it's a big unknown how any rookie might translate as an NBA player. Otto makes us reputable now.
There are some interesting players in the 15th range as well.

If you think we wouldn’t trade Fox, Buddy, Bridges, and WCS for Jokic you’re out of your damn mind.
I sure wouldn't teade all that fir Jokic. He is all right but i fail to see him as a topv15 nba player. Solid on the offensive side but limited defensively at a spot your defense doesnt want a hole at.

Denver has a real reason to pick up the qualifying offer. The cap hold for Jokic would not be very high going into 2019 free agency and would allow them to make a run at a top free agent and then sign Jokic. If the sign him as an unrestricted free agent it would tie up a ton of cap space that would handcuff them.

Jokic is a franchise player at 22 I’m trading all that for him.

I sure wouldn't teade all that fir Jokic. He is all right but i fail to see him as a topv15 nba player. Solid on the offensive side but limited defensively at a spot your defense doesnt want a hole at.
I get the idea the Kings FO is more sold on WCS than many of us, but I like the idea enough of getting Otto Porter from Washington. I would even throw in Justin Jackson as well since I'm not a fan.
I like Mikal Bridges as our pick but there is that development time to take into consideration and it's a big unknown how any rookie might translate as an NBA player. Otto makes us reputable now.
There are some interesting players in the 15th range as well.
I hope they’d trade him we could resign KK to play center while Giles develops than draft Jontay Porter at 15 sign Bjlecia to start at PF.

Bjlecia/Porter
Kofous/Giles

That’s a great mix of vets and young players in the front court while adding a a very good SF with it

Jokic is a franchise player at 22 I’m trading all that for him.

I hope they’d trade him we could resign KK to play center while Giles develops than draft Jontay Porter at 15 sign Bjlecia to start at PF.

Bjlecia/Porter
Kofous/Giles

That’s a great mix of vets and young players in the front court while adding a a very good SF with it
I hate to fantasize but that actually sounds pretty good. Nothing against Jontay, but I would also look at players such as Khyri Thomas and Mitchell Robinson around 15. Khyri could be a better backup PG option., and Mitchell, well who knows, has the length to be a good replacement for WCS

No one is talking about Diop? The guy looks like an NBA player to me. I would take him in a trade down scenario. Also Musa. I would try to grab porter in the second round.

No one is talking about Diop? The guy looks like an NBA player to me. I would take him in a trade down scenario. Also Musa. I would try to grab porter in the second round.
We have been talking about Musa a bit, some of us like him and he may be a mid 1st round pick. I will watch some Diop videos, but with Jakarr , Bruno, Justin... all looking like backup SF's my attention has been on hoping we find a legit starter.

Denver has a real reason to pick up the qualifying offer. The cap hold for Jokic would not be very high going into 2019 free agency and would allow them to make a run at a top free agent and then sign Jokic. If the sign him as an unrestricted free agent it would tie up a ton of cap space that would handcuff them.
Just from my calculations, Denver would still have 30mpy(including Jokic's max contract) in the 2019 FA when they decline Millsap's TO. There is no reason why Denver would risk losing Jokic all because they want to go on a FA run in 2019. You can't do a FA run without Jokic....

Yes they'll be in the luxury tax next season, but that's only 1 year. Faried, Chandler, and Arthur will only have 1 year left on their deal combined for $33million.

There is no reason why the Nuggets would risk losing Jokic for nothing. Why would you let him become a UFA? Would you let Fox be a UFA and go elsewhere? What about Bogdan? no. You make him a RFA, max him, and end of story.

If he signs the QO he can't be traded.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually I've talked about Diop in the prospects forum. He had quite a break out year this year and is a similar player to Mikal Bridges. Not quite as athletic or as long, nor is he as good a three pt shooter as Bridges, but still good. Like Bridges, he's an excellent defender.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If the Kings were to trade all those players for Jokic, they would be the laughing stock of the NBA, and I would be forever gone from this forum, and from the Kings. A trade like that would only be made by an idiot. Fortunately, I don't think Vlade is an idiot.

I hate to fantasize but that actually sounds pretty good. Nothing against Jontay, but I would also look at players such as Khyri Thomas and Mitchell Robinson around 15. Khyri could be a better backup PG option., and Mitchell, well who knows, has the length to be a good replacement for WCS
Just to clarify, I would be interested in the WCS trade and this years pick for Otto Porter....plus the Bjlecia pickup part of this post that I responded to. I know little of Jokic and if he's worth trading all those proposed players for.

Status
Not open for further replies.