Who do you want at #2

Who do you want at #2

• Total voters
I think Jaren Jackson would disagree. And I think he's a less risky pick than Ayton or Doncic. No questions about defense and he's got an obvious fit on offense with a lot of room to grow.
Woah, what?

JJJ has all the physical tools and showed some serious defensive aptitude this season, but any team who takes him will literally have to teach him how to play offense. He's just incredibly raw with his footwork in the post and doesn't have the handle or face-up game like other "unicorns" similar to a KAT/Porzingis. He's not in the same stratosphere as Ayton on the glass either, and I'd put him a notch below Carter and Bamba as well. Has a long way to go as a passer too, but that's true of all the bigs outside of Carter.

I'd feel pretty good about a Serge Ibaka type of impact (granted, which is very, very good) as I think the shooting will translate and he's an incredible defensive prospect with a perfect physical profile for today's NBA. But I just have too many questions about how far he needs to go offensively to match where Doncic/Ayton/Bagley can be. That'll keep him a few notches lower on my big board, especially if considering him at 2.

Looking at the Suns roster, I'm pretty sure they take Ayton #1. They have Booker at SG and just picked Josh Jackson as their small forward last year. I don't think Doncic is a point guard. They have a glaring hole at center for them.

Assuming they value Doncic and Ayton equal, I think the Suns take Ayton #1, leaving Doncic at #2 for us. :)
I feel the same way about PHX. I really don't think they will see a glaring difference between Doncic and Ayton because I don't think there is one. They will take the player who fills the greatest position of need for them and thats 4/5. Doncic should be there for us.

It's really hard for me to pick between Doncic and Ayton, so I'm happy we won't have to make this decision. I'll be happy both ways, just give me one of these two. I hope Vlade doesn't get cute on draft day and doesn't do anything stupid. Just keep it simple. Doncic or Ayton.

Ayton (my preference) and Luka are obvious prospect for us but I don’t think we should discount Begley that quickly. The kid is really young and has so much more development and potential left. In time, he could be the best player out of this draft.

I agree with others that the best player in this draft could be someone besides Luka or Ayton. It happens all the time. But I am all in on either one. But both Ayton and Doncic provide exciting possibilities for the franchise.

I see Ayton allowing use of a small ball lineup with Fox, Buddy and Bogi (I feel confident he’ll fix our rebounding and a little less confident he’ll be a rim protector). Throw a legit stretch 4 out there and that lineup could do damage.

Doncic I think can start at the 3 and make us one of the best passing teams in the league. If Buddy plays like he did the last 20 games of the season - he’s a starter along with Fox. And I think Doncic will be able to play stretch 4 eventually. The team all of a sudden gets versatile and skilled. And fun to watch.

But the best part is that pretending the draft is a 2 player race gives me a bunch of free time because I can stop researching prospects like a fanboy GM.

I'd feel pretty good about a Serge Ibaka type of impact (granted, which is very, very good) as I think the shooting will translate and he's an incredible defensive prospect with a perfect physical profile for today's NBA.
What you wrote here is exactly why I think he's low risk. Jackson projects to be a rim protector on defense and a spot up shooting, floor stretching big on offense who can also run the floor and be a dump off big near the basket.

He'd have to grow into a lot more to be a good #2 pick but I don't see the potential for him to bust unless his outside shot doesn't translate. In my eyes he's a very useful player with a defoned role if he can just do what he did in college.

That won't make him a star of course but it's a great starting point.

What you wrote here is exactly why I think he's low risk. Jackson projects to be a rim protector on defense and a spot up shooting, floor stretching big on offense who can also run the floor and be a dump off big near the basket.

He'd have to grow into a lot more to be a good #2 pick but I don't see the potential for him to bust unless his outside shot doesn't translate. In my eyes he's a very useful player with a defoned role if he can just do what he did in college.

But do you want safe pick or one with biggest upside?

I think we need to look for the home run and not a low risk picks. Get this pick right (either through luck or good work), make a good FA signing, maybe make a good trade and this thing can turn around pretty quickly.

Draft a low risk pick and you could just remain where we have been for a decade now.

I think he's one of the riskiest picks at the top of the lottery. I really like JJJ but I've soured on him being a top lottery pick. If he was available at 7 and that's where the King stayed, I'd pick him all day, every day. But at 2, there is no way in hell I'd even consider it for a second.

If JJJ turns out to be Serge Ibaka like, that's great. Pretty sure most teams would welcome a prime Serge Ibaka but the problem is that there are no successful Serge Ibaka led teams in the league because he's a role player. The Kings simply cannot come away from this draft with simply a role player. If whoever we wind up with in this draft is a 3rd or 4th level option on offense, the Kings will have failed once again.

He also rebounds like WCS and I'm not sure if I can stomach another non rebounding big man. I love the kid's game but not at #2.

I think he's one of the riskiest picks at the top of the lottery. I really like JJJ but I've soured on him being a top lottery pick. If he was available at 7 and that's where the King stayed, I'd pick him all day, every day. But at 2, there is no way in hell I'd even consider it for a second.

If JJJ turns out to be Serge Ibaka like, that's great. Pretty sure most teams would welcome a prime Serge Ibaka but the problem is that there are no successful Serge Ibaka led teams in the league because he's a role player. The Kings simply cannot come away from this draft with simply a role player. If whoever we wind up with in this draft is a 3rd or 4th level option on offense, the Kings will have failed once again.

He also rebounds like WCS and I'm not sure if I can stomach another non rebounding big man. I love the kid's game but not at #2.
If JJJ was an elite rebounder like Ayton or maybe even Bagley, I'd have him higher. He's got Willie syndrome... big, has the size, but doesn't like boxing out.

Very tough choice. You have to bet on upside here.

Both have clearly defined weaknesses:
  • Ayton has a history of so-so work ethic, settling for jumpers, and poor defensive instincts/effort
  • Doncic has athletic limitations (average athletisicm, can't get separation, lateral quickness) and at this stage, poor 3P shooting (31% with shorter 3P line)
So - barring injury or freak circumstances:
  1. do you take the strong offensive center with 3P range, elite rebounding skill but has a strong chance to never improve his below-average defense, overall skill and teamplay concepts due to his lack of work ethic? OR
  2. do you take the skilled, pass first wing who is and maybe always will be a liability on defense, and may not ever be a good shooter due to a physical inability to get his shot off?
To make things more difficult: I watch the highlights of Ayton, and my god, I haven't seen a center move like that since Ewing. His body control, athleticism, explosiveness, footwork, soft hands, light feet... just incredible. The kinda guy who could still be a freak after a knee injury (god forbid).

Then you watch Doncic and it's like watching a Spurs player who's 26... just wicked smart and skilled. Will likely become an even better passer over time, and greater strength will help him improve interior defense.

There's some serious talent here with both, talent that will serve our team well. Let's hope the Suns pick wrong (again - ouch!) and we make the better pick come draft day. Right now, I have the slight edge to Ayton, albeit his work ethic and defensive effort is worrisome.

(as a sidebar, my new favorite NBA site, Cleaningtheglass.com, has an excellent write up on both Ayton and Doncic that is worth subscribing.)

But do you want safe pick or one with biggest upside?

I think we need to look for the home run and not a low risk picks. Get this pick right (either through luck or good work), make a good FA signing, maybe make a good trade and this thing can turn around pretty quickly.

Draft a low risk pick and you could just remain where we have been for a decade now.
Which is what makes this draft tough. There aren't any homerun picks in this draft. There's no LeBron or Duncan. Ayton will be a good player. I'm sure of that, but it's hard to say how good. Bagley might be the biggest risk/reward pick in the top of the draft. Doncic will be good but will he be a star? Bamba has outside potential of being a unicorn. Porter could be a Tatum like player if he's healthy and everything fell right. Trae Young won't be Jimmer but he might be Trey Burke with an outside shot of being Steph-lite. Big gamble there. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Zhaire Smith have an outside shot of being among the top 3 players in this draft class just due to their tools and fit. It's projection time and it becomes easy to talk yourself into some of these kids being game changers. I'm not sure who I'd put my money on just yet. But I agree. I don't see an easy superstar path for JJJ. But I see a very obvious path to being a very good roleplayer. Is that worth the 2nd pick? Nope. But if I can become convinced that he's got a lot of room to grow, then maybe.

Nothing is more laughable than considering Doncic "risky".
He's the only one in the draft who has already played real matches against NBA stars like Gasol brothers or Porzingis for example. Winning.
Doncic is the safest player in the draft, not risky at all.
Yes, Doncic is very safe. He'll be an NBA player for sure. At times I see a cross between James Harden and Ben Simmons, albeit with less speed and definitely less lateral quickness. At other times I see a high level role player. Can he be the best player on a good team? I don't know.

Very tough choice. You have to bet on upside here.

Both have clearly defined weaknesses:
  • Ayton has a history of so-so work ethic, settling for jumpers, and poor defensive instincts/effort
  • Doncic has athletic limitations (average athletisicm, can't get separation, lateral quickness) and at this stage, poor 3P shooting (31% with shorter 3P line)
So - barring injury or freak circumstances:
  1. do you take the strong offensive center with 3P range, elite rebounding skill but has a strong chance to never improve his below-average defense, overall skill and teamplay concepts due to his lack of work ethic? OR
  2. do you take the skilled, pass first wing who is and maybe always will be a liability on defense, and may not ever be a good shooter due to a physical inability to get his shot off?
To make things more difficult: I watch the highlights of Ayton, and my god, I haven't seen a center move like that since Ewing. His body control, athleticism, explosiveness, footwork, soft hands, light feet... just incredible. The kinda guy who could still be a freak after a knee injury (god forbid).

Then you watch Doncic and it's like watching a Spurs player who's 26... just wicked smart and skilled. Will likely become an even better passer over time, and greater strength will help him improve interior defense.

There's some serious talent here with both, talent that will serve our team well. Let's hope the Suns pick wrong (again - ouch!) and we make the better pick come draft day. Right now, I have the slight edge to Ayton, albeit his work ethic and defensive effort is worrisome.

(as a sidebar, my new favorite NBA site, Cleaningtheglass.com, has an excellent write up on both Ayton and Doncic that is worth subscribing.)
Just a note - Doncic is actually a very good outside shooter on the catch and shoot. His 3P% is hurt by the number of off the dribble 3's that he takes. Learning to pick his spots (and finish with his left hand at the basket) will make a good offensive player great.

I'm an Arizona fan and their tourney exit left me soured on the whole season and the way the Kings were playing themselves out of a top pick I just put it all out of my mind, but I think it's not entirely correct to call Ayton a low-effort defender. You have to look at who he was out there with and the defensive scheme of Arizona and you will see why this team got torched at times. I think in an NBA defense it might be quite a bit different especially with a coach who values defense and players that seem capable of defending (not Parker Jackson Cartwright, Alonzo Trier and Dusan Ristic). You can see games, I think the Cal game at the beginning of March and then in the Pac tourney where he was putting in tons of effort at getting blocks and stops and looked like an absolute beast.

It's really hard for me to pick between Doncic and Ayton, so I'm happy we won't have to make this decision. I'll be happy both ways, just give me one of these two. I hope Vlade doesn't get cute on draft day and doesn't do anything stupid. Just keep it simple. Doncic or Ayton.
He shouldn't even be looking at anyone else. Ayton is a walking double double and Doncic already has shown he can play at a high level against strong competition. Our scouting report and draft day war room should begin and end with just these two.

Ayton (my preference) and Luka are obvious prospect for us but I don’t think we should discount Begley that quickly. The kid is really young and has so much more development and potential left. In time, he could be the best player out of this draft.
Yes, I could see Bagley and Jackson being in the conversation for the #2 pick.

Vlade and the FO definitely have to do their homework, before they make the pick. If they think one of those other two is the BPA, then I wouldn't fault them for taking them instead of Doncic.

Bagley could be a beast offensively too. Definitely has alpha scorer written all over him. I have more question marks about Jackson though.

But I like Luka a little better at this point, because I think he would make his teammates better overall. Not sure Doncic can be an alpha scorer, but I think he opens up the window for someone like Buddy to flourish as an alpha scorer. I see Doncic as an all around player, a Larry Bird-esq type player, who can beat you in multiple ways.

The more tape I watch on Doncic, the more impressed I get.

This kid has a very high bball IQ. The way he runs the pick and roll at 18/19 is absurdly good. Almost Hardenesque in how he handles it. Remember how impressed we all were with Bogie and how he looked like a real complete basketball player when he stepped on the court? This kid Doncic is already better than him and he's only 19. Just the way he gets the defenders on his hip and maneuvers through the block is impressive as hell. He's always looking for the open man and is extremely unselfish, yet still has that scorers mentality. The things he does at his age are so far ahead of schedule, it makes you wonder how good he might possibly be 5 years from now.

I think Phoenix takes Ayton.

I think it will come down to Doncic and Bagley for the Kings.

I would go Doncic because I think he makes his teammates better, but Bagley has alpha scorer written all over him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings took Bagley at #2.

I sure hope Vlade and the FO are in Europe right now to see Doncic in person in the Euro finals.

I would go Doncic because I think he makes his teammates better, but Bagley has alpha scorer written all over him.

I sure hope Vlade and the FO are in Europe right now to see Doncic in person in the Euro finals.
They are there.

Ayton Doncic Ayton Doncic Ayton Doncic

That’s how the draft will go no and it’s or buts.

Y’all might as well buy a Ayton jersey cause Pheonix is taking Doncic that is clear as day

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Ayton and Doncic are such different players that it really is 50/50 for me. I would love to have either one. Ayton gives us an elite inside/outside combo with our trio of guards and his ability to space the floor takes some of the pressure of Fox's developing jumper. Doncic is a magician with the ball and would push us strongly in the direction of being an uptempo offensive team with multiple players who can attack the basket and create shots. Both of them are special. If we had to choose I'm leaning Doncic but the beauty of picking 2nd is that we don't have to choose!

I can see wanting to expand the search to include Jackson and Bagley and a few others but for me Doncic/Ayton are so far ahead of everybody else why waste the time? Somebody in this draft picked 3rd or lower may end up being the best player in the draft but you're going to get a dozen different suggestions about who that player is. Everybody else has enough question marks that I would not be comfortable with that level of risk. Jackson looks really good defensively but he also had trouble staying on the floor this year because of foul trouble and he was never a featured scorer for MSU. Bagley is a freak athlete but he was a non-factor on defense. Bamba could be an elite defender but he needs to get stronger and he may never be much of a passer which limits what we can do on offense. There very well may be a diamond out there but I don't want to see us taking a big risk here. Risk/reward wise the two safest picks are the ones everybody has already penciled in at 1 and 2 in some order.

Which is what makes this draft tough. There aren't any homerun picks in this draft. There's no LeBron or Duncan. Ayton will be a good player. I'm sure of that, but it's hard to say how good. Bagley might be the biggest risk/reward pick in the top of the draft. Doncic will be good but will he be a star? Bamba has outside potential of being a unicorn. Porter could be a Tatum like player if he's healthy and everything fell right. Trae Young won't be Jimmer but he might be Trey Burke with an outside shot of being Steph-lite. Big gamble there. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Zhaire Smith have an outside shot of being among the top 3 players in this draft class just due to their tools and fit. It's projection time and it becomes easy to talk yourself into some of these kids being game changers. I'm not sure who I'd put my money on just yet. But I agree. I don't see an easy superstar path for JJJ. But I see a very obvious path to being a very good roleplayer. Is that worth the 2nd pick? Nope. But if I can become convinced that he's got a lot of room to grow, then maybe.

Yes, Doncic is very safe. He'll be an NBA player for sure. At times I see a cross between James Harden and Ben Simmons, albeit with less speed and definitely less lateral quickness. At other times I see a high level role player. Can he be the best player on a good team? I don't know.
I think the Kings are in the position where they have not been in their time in Sacramento where there is clearly some good talent in the draft that can project, with the right attitude, work ethic and coaching into all-star level players.

To me the most obvious one is Ayton hence why he will go #1 to Phoenix. He has the size, athletic ability and an improving skill set. Will he a a future HOF? Who knows but at the very least he has a chance to develop into a star big. He has all the tools.

Doncic for me is a quality starter in the league no doubt what so ever but will he be a star, a franchise level guy or just a pretty darn good starter? Offensively, he will be great. His passing, his vision are elite. His shot will continue to improve no doubt. Defensively, I do have all sorts of questions.

Begley is interesting one. He arguably has the highest upside in the draft. He could end up being THE best player from this class. The smoothness, the motor, athleticism, rebounding, running the floor. In time he could be a franchise level guy.

So the big question here for the Kings is, do you go the absolute safe pick in Doncic, or do you swing for the fences and go with Begley? I think Begley pick will require some balls and selflessness from the Vlade because if Begley does not reach that stardom, he is out of the job.

Ayton Doncic Ayton Doncic Ayton Doncic

That’s how the draft will go no and it’s or buts.

Y’all might as well buy a Ayton jersey cause Pheonix is taking Doncic that is clear as day
How is that clear as day. Just because Kokoskov coached Luka, it doesn't mean much. Phoenix will be looking to get an absolute star and I think Ayton is it.

I hope they do take Doncic, would absolutely give the Kings a change to turn this thing pretty darn quickly and given Phoenix' history of ****ing things up, I am crossing my fingers in hope that they do go with Doncic but nothing is clear. There will be so much poken played between now and draft night. Remember how Boston was always going to pick Fultz to get Philly to blink and trade up to get him when Ainge all along wanted Tatum.

Representatives of all 30 teams are in Belgrade now including the Kings. I wish I could be there this weekend but my trip to Serbia is next month. Would be great to watch the final 4 in Belgrade.

I think the Kings are in the position where they have not been in their time in Sacramento where there is clearly some good talent in the draft that can project, with the right attitude, work ethic and coaching into all-star level players.

To me the most obvious one is Ayton hence why he will go #1 to Phoenix. He has the size, athletic ability and an improving skill set. Will he a a future HOF? Who knows but at the very least he has a chance to develop into a star big. He has all the tools.

Doncic for me is a quality starter in the league no doubt what so ever but will he be a star, a franchise level guy or just a pretty darn good starter? Offensively, he will be great. His passing, his vision are elite. His shot will continue to improve no doubt. Defensively, I do have all sorts of questions.

Begley is interesting one. He arguably has the highest upside in the draft. He could end up being THE best player from this class. The smoothness, the motor, athleticism, rebounding, running the floor. In time he could be a franchise level guy.

So the big question here for the Kings is, do you go the absolute safe pick in Doncic, or do you swing for the fences and go with Begley? I think Begley pick will require some balls and selflessness from the Vlade because if Begley does not reach that stardom, he is out of the job.
Agreed.

I think the #2 pick will come down to Ayton (likely gone), Doncic (the favorite) and Bagley (Alpha scorer). For me, I think Jaren Jackson has way too many question marks on offense to be taken #2.

I would honestly be fine with any one of those 3.

I still feel Vlade has had his eyes on Doncic for a very long time. I think he takes Doncic, unless he can trade back to #3 and get a future first from Atlanta, to swap places. Then he takes Bagley at 3.

I can't see Vlade trading up to #1 though, there is too much value at #2.

How is that clear as day. Just because Kokoskov coached Luka, it doesn't mean much. Phoenix will be looking to get an absolute star and I think Ayton is it.

I hope they do take Doncic, would absolutely give the Kings a change to turn this thing pretty darn quickly and given Phoenix' history of ****ing things up, I am crossing my fingers in hope that they do go with Doncic but nothing is clear. There will be so much poken played between now and draft night. Remember how Boston was always going to pick Fultz to get Philly to blink and trade up to get him when Ainge all along wanted Tatum.
Because he’s the better player and a lineup of Booker-Doncic-Jackson-Capela is new era stuff

To me a big part of the decision around Bagley is whether or not you think he can be a center in the NBA. If you think he can then it raises his value significantly. But if he can't and is solely a PF then his fit becomes very problematic.