Who do you want at #2

Who do you want at #2

• Total voters

Entity

Hall of Famer
It’s simple we know where we are now. It’s time to start the debates. May never be as good as the Rubio vs Evans debates but will be fun to see different opinions

Entity

Hall of Famer
I voted Ayton but I won't complain if its Doncic. Not one little bit
That’s kinda of the beauty of it isn’t it lol. I voted Ayton because I like skilled bigs. I loved cuz til the day he left. All year last year I imagined what we would be like with cuz having heild and bogdan and fox. Then I imagined if we had a mentally stable cuz with them lol. I think Ayton could be a more athletic mentally stable cuz. I worry about time between Doncic, Heild, and Bogdan. If one of the three can’t step up to play SF. Also can we trade zbo yet? Really want him out of here.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd like the Suns to take Doncic at one and leave us with Ayton to be honest, I'm not the biggest Doncic fan but it would be hard to pass up on a talent like that if he is sitting there at 2, Bagley intrigues me as well.

For me, it’s Ayton. He’s a basketball Adonis. He’s like the platonic ideal of how you would build a center in today’s NBA, physically speaking. Plus, in the spirit of modernity, he’s already got range out to the three-point line. You’re talking about the next Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns. There are questions about his defensive metrics, and the criticisms are reasonable. But good god... 7’0” tall, 7’5” wingspan, 243 lbs, and a 43.5” vertical. I’ll take those measurements and his 20/10 potential on day one.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Doncic, clearly. He is number 1 on my board.

Oh, and if you're worried about quickness, check this video out. Especially the part where he stays with Russ defensively and blows by Oladipo.

I see his quickness I also see the ball always in his hands. Let’s say he plays pg. that makes last years drafy an instant bust and still leaves huge hole at SF and average at C. Maybe trade fox and Willie to phx for #1 and take both of them lol

I see his quickness I also see the ball always in his hands. Let’s say he plays pg. that makes last years drafy an instant bust and still leaves huge hole at SF and average at C. Maybe trade fox and Willie to phx for #1 and take both of them lol
Yeah, that is true, but I actually like the fit of Fox and Doncic. What you dont want to do is give Doncic the ball in isolation and say "go get us a bucket". You want the ball moving side to side, the defense moving and then have Doncic attack of close outs or secondary pick and rolls where you can highlight his vision and decision making.

The premise of course is that Fox can develop as a shooter. But that was always the case. He always needed to learn how to shoot to become a good pick at 5. So if he does learn how to shoot, great, you got a nice pairing with him and Doncic. If he does not learn how to shoot, you move on and you at least have another playmaker in Doncic to replace him.

With all respect to the OP, I will be somewhat duplicating this post with a couple of polls that will give us insight into who Kings’ fans would take as their first choice and second choice. The way the poll is worded will not help us answer those questions.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doncic actually plays very well off the ball.

I'm not as high on him as most because I see a very high level role player but not a star or go-to scorer (like a rich man's Bogdan Bogdanovic) but I will say the potential passing ability of this lineup:

C Cauley-Stein
PF Giles
SF Doncic
SG Bogdanovic
PG Fox

Could make the Kings a ton of fun to watch.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just happy to be here!

Ayton is skilled for his position, huge, and freakishly athletic.

Doncic is skilled, a fierce competitor, and has ludicrous BBIQ for his age.

It's a two player draft. Our pick is going to be a no brainer either way! What a lotto!
I think Jaren Jackson would disagree. And I think he's a less risky pick than Ayton or Doncic. No questions about defense and he's got an obvious fit on offense with a lot of room to grow.

Doncic actually plays very well off the ball.

I'm not as high on him as most because I see a very high level role player but not a star or go-to scorer (like a rich man's Bogdan Bogdanovic) but I will say the potential passing ability of this lineup:

C Cauley-Stein
PF Giles
SF Doncic
SG Bogdanovic
PG Fox

Could make the Kings a ton of fun to watch.
I agree with your main point but that lineup has me less excited. No spacing at all in the front court. That would definitely have to change for Fox/Doncic to become great. Think you at least have to play a stretch 4 or another wing at PF and either Wcs or Giles at C

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think Jaren Jackson would disagree. And I think he's a less risky pick than Ayton or Doncic. No questions about defense and he's got an obvious fit on offense with a lot of room to grow.
I like Jackson Jr.... He has that "unicorn" skillset that'll fit right into today's NBA. I just don't see him as being on the same tier as the other two. Ayton will probably never be a defensive anchor, but he has the athleticism to be a plus on that end. Doncic is too smart/skilled to fail.

I'll give you a tip of the hat if you're right about Jackson Jr though! Especially if Vlade trades down for him!

Doncic, clearly. He is number 1 on my board.

Oh, and if you're worried about quickness, check this video out. Especially the part where he stays with Russ defensively and blows by Oladipo.

Wow I haven't seen that clip yet. Extremely impressive. He's like a highly skilled Bogdan with a touch of JWill thrown in as well. His style of play is exactly how we've been envisioning the Kings playing. Look at how he pushes the pace as soon as he grabs rebounds! He and Fox can be deadly in transition. I still don't think they'll work all that great in the half court unless Fox becomes a good shooter but this group would be fun to watch with Giles thrown in.

I think if we land this kid, he's going to change the entire culture of the team. His flashy play will rub off on the other guys and while they might not be knocking on the door of the playoffs for a while, they'll be exciting as hell to watch. Kind of like how the early JWill teams were. They barely squeaked into the playoffs but damn were they fun to watch regardless.

I like Jackson Jr.... He has that "unicorn" skillset that'll fit right into today's NBA. I just don't see him as being on the same tier as the other two. Ayton will probably never be a defensive anchor, but he has the athleticism to be a plus on that end. Doncic is too smart/skilled to fail.

I'll give you a tip of the hat if you're right about Jackson Jr though! Especially if Vlade trades down for him!
Unless the return is substantial we absolutely cannot trade down. I love jaren Jackson but he cannot be the plan. Doncic and ayton are the two guys right now who look like they have the highest chance at being franchise players. We can't mess this up.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Unless the return is substantial we absolutely cannot trade down. I love jaren Jackson but he cannot be the plan. Doncic and ayton are the two guys right now who look like they have the highest chance at being franchise players. We can't mess this up.
Totally agree. If we did trade down for Jackson (or Bagely), I would be cautiously optimistic rather than mad, but I really hope we just stand pat and take whoever is left at 2!

I agree with your main point but that lineup has me less excited. No spacing at all in the front court. That would definitely have to change for Fox/Doncic to become great. Think you at least have to play a stretch 4 or another wing at PF and either Wcs or Giles at C
biltalent, I'm going to respond to your post from the "We're #2" thread so we don't muddy up the celebration thread with Ayton/Doncic analysis.

My main concerns with Ayton stem from his fit defensively. How does a guy with one of the most elite and athletic big man bodies since I can even remember wind up having one of the worst block percentages for a big man in recent lottery history? Blocks aren't everything but another huge knock on him are his late reads and reactions on defense (he does this on offense as well). I question his bball IQ and his lack of intensity. He has zero excuses for why he was a bad defender. It's correctable but it's also a big red flag. You can have all the athleticism in the world but if you can't read and react quickly, then all your athleticism is pointless because the play has already passed you by. He shouldn't have struggled on that end in college. He should have been a beast, but he wasn't and I can't come up with a legitimate excuse for him.

Fit is one of my main concerns with Ayton. So you draft him and he's your starting center. Who plays PF? Skal would fit next to him offensively, but there will be problems there defensively (although Skal is improving). ZBo would fit okay next to him offensively but defensively would be a disaster. WCS would help shore up the defense but now the paint is clogged and I've really seen enough high post WCS for my lifetime. Giles is a wild card but if we go off of what we know, he will fit well defensively but probably not offensively right away. If Giles' passing is on point like the rumors state, you could have him play a bit at the high post but that would mean more mid range shots for Giles and even if he winds up being a solid shooter, I just don't think that type of offense works anymore unless you have a Jokic. Basically unless Ayton becomes an anchor on defense, you're going to need a unicorn type PF next to him to make up for his weaknesses.

Doncic is just such a better fit for me. You plug him in at SF and be done with it. He's not going to be a beast defensively but he's going to be able to share the court with whoever because he can do everything. I can live with a wing not being a good defender but your big man down low has to be able to defend to compete. Giles could be that guy for us. In that case we would basically be getting Doncic + many of the positives that Ayton would give us, but with Giles instead. 2 needs filled and you aren't really sacrificing best player available. Choosing Ayton, you may be overlapping many of Giles' strengths while still having a glaring hole at the SF spot.

biltalent, I'm going to respond to your post from the "We're #2" thread so we don't muddy up the celebration thread with Ayton/Doncic analysis.

My main concerns with Ayton stem from his fit defensively. How does a guy with one of the most elite and athletic big man bodies since I can even remember wind up having one of the worst block percentages for a big man in recent lottery history? Blocks aren't everything but another huge knock on him are his late reads and reactions on defense (he does this on offense as well). I question his bball IQ and his lack of intensity. He has zero excuses for why he was a bad defender. It's correctable but it's also a big red flag. You can have all the athleticism in the world but if you can't read and react quickly, then all your athleticism is pointless because the play has already passed you by. He shouldn't have struggled on that end in college. He should have been a beast, but he wasn't and I can't come up with a legitimate excuse for him.

Fit is one of my main concerns with Ayton. So you draft him and he's your starting center. Who plays PF? Skal would fit next to him offensively, but there will be problems there defensively (although Skal is improving). ZBo would fit okay next to him offensively but defensively would be a disaster. WCS would help shore up the defense but now the paint is clogged and I've really seen enough high post WCS for my lifetime. Giles is a wild card but if we go off of what we know, he will fit well defensively but probably not offensively right away. If Giles' passing is on point like the rumors state, you could have him play a bit at the high post but that would mean more mid range shots for Giles and even if he winds up being a solid shooter, I just don't think that type of offense works anymore unless you have a Jokic. Basically unless Ayton becomes an anchor on defense, you're going to need a unicorn type PF next to him to make up for his weaknesses.

Doncic is just such a better fit for me. You plug him in at SF and be done with it. He's not going to be a beast defensively but he's going to be able to share the court with whoever because he can do everything. I can live with a wing not being a good defender but your big man down low has to be able to defend to compete. Giles could be that guy for us. In that case we would basically be getting Doncic + many of the positives that Ayton would give us, but with Giles instead. 2 needs filled and you aren't really sacrificing best player available. Choosing Ayton, you may be overlapping many of Giles' strengths while still having a glaring hole at the SF spot.
You're preaching to the choir here. On my overall big board I have Doncic #1 and then Jackson Jr and Ayton tied for #2. I am lower on Ayton because of the reason you mentioned. Defensive instincts are so important for bigs. If I am Phoenix, I'm worried about Ayton and putting him at C. They have a terrible defense identity already. I'm more positive with him on the Kings.
I think the only thing I differ is that I think Ayton/Giles could work.

I like both Ayton and Doncic equally.

The way I see it is that Ayton is the safer pick because he played college and is a physical specimen. I think you have 18 pts 8 rebounds per game guaranteed with him. His defense is suspect though, so you would need a strong scheme to help him.

My question is fit with Ayton. If Giles is as advertised, there is not much room for 2 alpha bigs in today's nba. Plus you will still need to sign or trade for a starting small forward.

Doncic is the most ideal fit IMHO. With a super high basketball IQ and filling our void at small forward with playmaking and shooting. He makes others around him better. He may not be an alpha scorer, but his presence would allow the Kings to move Buddy into the starting lineup and he has a good chance to become an alpha scorer. Bogdan would become our super sixthman.

In today's NBA you need strong wing play and because of that, I'm hoping Doncic falls to the Kings at #2.

The Kings line up would be ready to compete sooner than you might think. I can see them vying for the #8 seed in the playoffs next year.I

PF: Giles / Skal / ZBo
SF: Doncic / Jackson / Temple
C: WCS / KK
SG: Buddy / Bogdan / Shumpert
PG: Fox / Mason

Why are people so anti-playmaking? It's honestly infuriating. Who cares where Doncic plays? He's going to be another threat defenses have to focus in on to stop that will make life easier for everyone else on the floor. Now add Bogdan/Buddy/Fox? It creates a lot of problems for the defense where to limit your offense.

Playmaking and great passing DO NOT have diminishing returns. It only makes your offense that much more difficult to stop when you don't know exactly is going to be initiating the play. And you really don't have to look further than the Rockets and Warriors battling in the West Finals, as two of the greatest offensive teams of all-time.