Welcome to the Kings Lamar Patterson

Per Sactown Royalty

The Sacramento Kings have claimed Lamar Patterson off waivers. Patterson had previously been with the Atlanta Hawks. Patterson is a wing player who was waived to clear room for the signings of Dwight Howard and Kent Bazemore. He's a wing player who will be under contract for under $900k next season.

My guess is he is a roster filler in anticipation of a trade. His salary is only 900k and he is a wing player where we already have so many. I'm guessing a trade is coming where we will take in a lot of salary and send out a few wing players.

This entire offseason I've been thinking that Vlade is playing chess while my brain is trying to process checkers

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, he didn't exactly dazzle last year.

BUT, here's the thing:

-- he can handle and create as a SG, something I think we may be valuing in a ball movement offense (and which dooms Ben)
-- he's long and solidly built (almost Tyreke size and length) and will give you defensive effort. Again traits I think we are prioritizing.

Just not explosive at all. Pure roleplayer potential at best. But as far as flavor it would still fit into adding tough physical guys to our mix, albeit possibly as a 15th man that will barely play. Figure even if this is a warmup to trading Ben and/or Rudy, Afflalo/Malachi/Omri/Barnes/Temple would all still be above him on the depth chart.

I take it that Point Guard is no longer an important position for the Kings!

We are just filling the roster with every position, except point guard!

Vlade, how about we pick up a point guard here at some point? :eek:

Bricklayer

What a crappy offseason....I'm ready to trade Boogie if nothing else for pure entertainment value in seeing this board blow up.
I think you're missing the plan here.

Grit n Grind has come to Sacto.

Joerger is a bit like Bill Musselman in a way (Bill, not his dolt son). Worked his way up through every armpit minor league in America coaching scrubs and roleplayers and getting them to bear down, to grind out wins. Then joined the grittiest and grindiest franchise in the NBA. took over as coach with an aging unathletic crew, and again got his roleplayers to bear down and grind, hung on to a playoff spot last year with random roleplayers of every description filling most of his roster. This is his M.O. Sign guys who will bust their ass and play right, as opposed to sloppy or undisciplined talents.

Now what has amazed me is:

a) people have to leave Vivek alone now. You suspected it last year, but this summer is making it completely obvious that he must have learned his lesson. This all flies completely in the face of his limited basketball experience, is a complete 180 from jazz-ball and the pace that fired Malone. He has obviously turned things completely over to Vlade

b) Vlade himself, anybody who doesn't respect his work by this time is somebody who isn't paying attention. There are hints of Euro-flavor, but despite what I would speculate might be a preference for Princetonesque big man centric ball, this is a unique GM who appears to be absolutely in tune with his coaches. He has had two wildly different coaches, and rather than put together rosters according to his, the GM's instincts, he has put together radically different rosters apparently catered to those individual coaches.

So we are making the unsexiest moves possible, because our coach is unsexy, and our playstyle is apparently going to be unsexy. Unsexy but gritty. Tough roleplayers fighting for every possession, and then just a sprinkle of talent to try to provide us separation. Its an entirely different theory of roster construction than accumulate as much talent as you can and then try to meld the disparate parts together.

Last edited:

Joerger is a bit like Bill Musselman in a way (Bill, not his dolt son). Worked his way up through every armpit minor league in America coaching scrubs and roleplayers and getting them to bear down, to grind out wins. Then joined the grittiest and grindiest franchise in the NBA. took over as coach with an aging unathletic crew, and again got his roleplayers to bear down and grind, hung on to a playoff spot last year with random roleplayers of every description filling most of his roster. This is his M.O. Sign guys who will bust their ass and play right, as opposed to sloppy or undisciplined talents.

a) people have to leave Vivek alone now. You suspected it last year, but this summer is making it completely obvious that he must have learned his lesson. This all flies completely in the face of his limited basketball experience, is a complete 180 from jazz-ball and the pace that fired Malone. He has obviously turned things completely over to Vlade

b) Vlade himself, anybody who doesn't respect his work by this time is somebody who isn't paying attention. There are hints of Euro-flavor, but despite what I would speculate might be a preference for Princetonesque big man centric ball, this is a unique GM who appears to be absolutely in tune with his coaches. He has had two wildly different coaches, and rather than put together rosters according to his, the GM's instincts, he has put together radically different rosters apparently catered to those individual coaches.

So we are making the unsexiest moves possible, because our coach is unsexy, and our playstyle is apparently going to be unsexy. Unsexy but gritty. Tough roleplayers fighting for every possession, and then just a sprinkle of talent to try to provide us separation. Its an entirely different theory of roster construction than accumulate as much talent as you can and then try to meld the disparate parts together.
So who's going to play the point?

Collison possibly. But last time I checked there are still THREE MONTHS left for us to acquire another piece.
Collison who I am still a supporter of (waiting for the facts) probably isn't going to be enough to push us into the playoffs. I am in the "In vlade we trust" camp but I think it's fair to ask the what's up with the pg question.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Collison who I am still a supporter of (waiting for the facts) probably isn't going to be enough to push us into the playoffs. I am in the "In vlade we trust" camp but I think it's fair to ask what's up with the pg question.
Well one likely answer is that Vlade is either working on or looking for a trade that will bring in a player a little higher caliber than the free agents that are available. This may take time as others have pointed out we still have some time

Bricklayer

BTW, we had a discussion of length in another thread somewhere, and how it can be disruptive defensively.

This is no accident:

Players likely remaining (we'll see if any of Rudy/Ben/Kosta make it):
Cousins 7'5.75"
Cauley-Stein 7'3"
Casspi 6'9.25"
Collison 6'3"
Moreland? 7'3.5"

Players incoming:
Temple (unlisted, but very long, likely 6'11"+)
Barnes 6'9"
Afflalo 6'9"
Tolliver 7'2.5"
Patterson 6'11"
Richardson 7'0"
Labissiere 7'2.5"
Papagiannis (unlisted, but 7'1" tall)
Cousins 6'625"

you set aside Cousins the Twerpier, who was a late 2nd round pick who might easily not stick, and Collison, who is the lone mini and not 100% guaranteed really, and basically every other player we have acquired or will likely keep is long. Barnes and Afflalo maybe just slightly above average for their sizes, and then long, long, long. If you want to disrupt the other team's offense, defensive length is a good place to start. Cut off passing lanes, challenge shots, get hands or fingertips on everything.

Edit: oops, forgot Omri. Omri is tall, but not long for that height. And not surprisingly part of our offense-first past.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Plenty of people here understand the plan. What they want to see, along with myself is...will Cousins have any help come October? As of right now, he doesn't really have much of it but role players so therefore, he needs to stay durable for most of the season or this season will become a wash.

Bricklayer

Collison who I am still a supporter of (waiting for the facts) probably isn't going to be enough to push us into the playoffs. I am in the "In vlade we trust" camp but I think it's fair to ask the what's up with the pg question.
THREE MONTHS.

104 days until tipoff.

Long time to be working the phones. PDA and Karl are gone, and gee, magically so are the leaks. It will happen when it happens.

Looks pretty solid. Can make plays off the dribble and handle it. Doesn't hesitate to take the open jumper so that is a good sign. Looks like a much less athletic Dion Waiters who knows his role/limitations. Only 24 so maybe a diamond in the rough. The few people I found on NBA Twitter reacting to this were positive about it so there's that. If he sticks ,a deep bench option at the 2-3. However Joerger mentioned he will us Barnes more as a 4 so this seems like a wing depth move behind Omri, Afflalo, Temple and yes fits the "Joerger haul" we got this summer. Just waiting for the Rudy shoe to drop to start getting a final estimate on the roster.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

I didn't even realize there are highlights from this guy...he played in small spurts for Atlanta.
Highlights are kind of a misnomer, but 'knows how to play" might be a summation of his appeal. From the Boris Diaw/Jared Dudley school of saavy non-athletes who make the right play. Not that there is any indication that he will reach their level. Nonetheless, kind of the anti-clueless kid.

Looks pretty solid. Can make plays off the dribble and handle it. Doesn't hesitate to take the open jumper so that is a good sign. Looks like a much less athletic Dion Waiters who knows his role/limitations. Only 24 so maybe a diamond in the rough. The few people I found on NBA Twitter reacting to this were positive about it so there's that. If he sticks ,a deep bench option at the 2-3. However Joerger mentioned he will us Barnes more as a 4 so this seems like a wing depth move behind Omri, Afflalo, Temple and yes fits the "Joerger haul" we got this summer. Just waiting for the Rudy shoe to drop to start getting a final estimate on the roster.
I think Joerger is going away from Memphis Grit n Grind offense. Pretty evident when the reports about him wanting to play at a faster pace...

Matt Barnes at the 4 though??? Karl wouldn't even do that..... If we're talking about Harrison Barnes, it makes a lot of sense, but Matt Barnes can't play the 4.. that's insane.

I guess we are going small ball with everyone else in the NBA.