Updated Lineup

It's funny how we still have people that want Evans at the 2. Yet they plug in Beno at the 1. What makes Beno more of a 1? Because he's shorter?
To my list atleast it's doesn't matter, I could put Rekes name first or Benos.. point is none is a "point guard", they share the ball handling and are 1 or 2 depending on the matchups.

Here is my starting five and bench:

Evans/Beno/Pooh
Garcia/Beno/Wright
Greene/Casspi
Landry/Thompson
Dalembert/Cousins/Whiteside

I think we will start the season with this starting line up. As season goes on, SG,SF,and C position might change to Beno,Casspi,and Cousins.
I think this is very reasonable lineup.
BTW, Landry WILL start over Thompson. As much as I like Thompson, he hasn't proved that he can be an effective starting PF over Landry.
Last year, Landry played like a beast down the post. I know he might not be part of our future plan, but why are people eliminating him from starting line up when he is definitely better than Thompson?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What I mean is that it's more reasonable atleast to me that Cousins will be a PF if him and Dally are on the floor.
Cousins is better suited to guard the other teams big man. Dalembert is lighter and a little quicker so he would match up better guarding the other teams PF. All were talking about is on the defensive end. On offense you can play them anyway you want. for instance I think Cousins is a better pick and roll player than Dalembert because he has a consistant 15 footer. So in that scenario, you have Cousins in the high post. Actually, Cousins is just a better offensive player period. High post or low post. So were only talking about defensive matchups.

This isn't a combination you could use in every situation. For instance, I think Dalembert would have a hard time guarding someone like Milsap out away from the basket. But it would probably be a good combination against a Bynum/Gasol matchup

Here is my starting five and bench:

Evans/Beno/Pooh
Garcia/Beno/Wright
Greene/Casspi
Landry/Thompson
Dalembert/Cousins/Whiteside

I think we will start the season with this starting line up. As season goes on, SG,SF,and C position might change to Beno,Casspi,and Cousins.
I think this is very reasonable lineup.
BTW, Landry WILL start over Thompson. As much as I like Thompson, he hasn't proved that he can be an effective starting PF over Landry.
Last year, Landry played like a beast down the post. I know he might not be part of our future plan, but why are people eliminating him from starting line up when he is definitely better than Thompson?
In my case its because i want the Kings to start Cousins. Id rather have Thompson share the floor with Cousins than Landry. Knowing Westphal we'll probably have 17,000 different starting lineups this year so id assume we'll get to see every combination.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
another thing about Landy is we need to showcase him incase he really isn't part of the future core..
I think everyone in the league knows what Landry can do. I do agree though that he could become very valuable right before the trade deadline. I think the Kings really like Landry, and if the price is right, they'll try and resign him. But you never know what a team that thinks they're just one piece short, will do at the trade deadline. Obviously the Kings would have to be offered something they really want, since Landry is an expiring contract and there's no need to just swap expiring contracts. So it would have to be a young player with a lot of upside or a first round pick or a combination of both. Lets say someone like Anthony Randolph was offered along with a future first round pick. I think the Kings would have to consider it.

Am I the only one that wants Tyreke to be point guard? He sucks at shooting. Have him point.
LOL. Point guards dont necessarily always "point," and shooting guards don't necessarily ahve to be able to shoot. Your fascination with the definition of root words denoting how players play is more than a little scary to a fellow Kings fan.

I think everyone in the league knows what Landry can do. I do agree though that he could become very valuable right before the trade deadline. I think the Kings really like Landry, and if the price is right, they'll try and resign him. But you never know what a team that thinks they're just one piece short, will do at the trade deadline. Obviously the Kings would have to be offered something they really want, since Landry is an expiring contract and there's no need to just swap expiring contracts. So it would have to be a young player with a lot of upside or a first round pick or a combination of both. Lets say someone like Anthony Randolph was offered along with a future first round pick. I think the Kings would have to consider it.
Landry is a very small expiring contract, so I don't see his contract as a relative asset to most other teams looking to shed salary. He is also an ender, so unless teams want to rent him for the rest of the year to get over the hump, I expect Landry to command quite a bit more than what he's getting now.

Look for the trade partners to be someone who actually wants Landry as a piece (much like us), and who will try and resign him after the year.

I don't think w'd get a guy like Randolph AND a pick, but I think he'll be valuable. The great thing is he has a 3M contract and we are underneath the cap. So a playoff team in need of size could offer us a 6M expiring contract, 3M in cash and like two first round picks. We'd really be in a position of strength. Maybe Memphis is driving to a playoff spot and Randolph gets hurt.

We could always try to resign him after we traded him too!

PG: Beno Udrih / Pooh Jeter
SG: Tyreke Evans / Francisco Garcia / Ime Udoka
SF: Donte Greene / Omri Casspi
PF: Carl Landry / Jason Thompson / Hassan Whiteside
C: Demarcus Cousins / Samuel Dalembert / Hassan Whiteside

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Landry is a very small expiring contract, so I don't see his contract as a relative asset to most other teams looking to shed salary. He is also an ender, so unless teams want to rent him for the rest of the year to get over the hump, I expect Landry to command quite a bit more than what he's getting now.

Look for the trade partners to be someone who actually wants Landry as a piece (much like us), and who will try and resign him after the year.
In my scenario, the team trading for Landry would do so because they felt he was the final piece needed to make the playoffs. I don't see the Kings trading Landry just to dump salary, which amounts to very little by comparison to players of equal talent. Thats why I said the Kings would do this deal only if they could get someone they really wanted. The great thing about the position the Kings are in is that they can take back more salary than they're trading if they need to.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
PG: Beno Udrih / Pooh Jeter
SG: Tyreke Evans / Francisco Garcia / Ime Udoka
SF: Donte Greene / Omri Casspi
PF: Carl Landry / Jason Thompson / Hassan Whiteside
C: Demarcus Cousins / Samuel Dalembert / Hassan Whiteside
To the best of my knowledge Ime Udoka is no longer on the team. However, Antoine Wright is on the team. Also, last time I checked, Tyreke was the starting point guard for the Kings. Not the shooting guard.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge Ime Udoka is no longer on the team. However, Antoine Wright is on the team. Also, last time I checked, Tyreke was the starting point guard for the Kings. Not the shooting guard.
People seem to get that confused a lot, don't they?

LOL. Point guards dont necessarily always "point," and shooting guards don't necessarily ahve to be able to shoot. Your fascination with the definition of root words denoting how players play is more than a little scary to a fellow Kings fan.
... I just rather have Tyreke with the ball because he has more skill. and screw you.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well from the interviews with GP, the Maloofs and Paul Westphal this is what I believe they want our starting lineup to be.

Tyreke
Garcia
Donte
Landry
Cousins

The reason why is because Cousins has drawn alot of interest from fans already and right now they want butts in the seat. And the best way to sell out a home opener is Cousins in the starting lineup. I think he will be and Dalembert may in fact get more min to begin with but Cousins will be the starter. And in no way shape form or fashion will Beno be starting with Tyreke and have pooh Jeter as the backup pg. Beno will be on the floor with Tyreke but not starting. Beno will come in for Garcia and Tyreke and get 25-30 min. The biggest question mark for me is JT. Unless he has really worked on his game Landry will start and with Cousins and Dalembert eating all the C min I am not sure how many min will be there for JT. It looks to be only 15 or so Unless Landry plays some SF but then you are squeezing out Omri and Donte. The PF/C positions could in fact be a who is on and who is off that night. you may see games with Dalembert only getting 12 min or Cousins only getting 17 or Landry only 24 and JT getting 20+

... I just rather have Tyreke with the ball because he has more skill. and screw you.
Kobe is a SG through and through, "but he has the ball because he has more skill."

Wade is a SG, but "he has the ball because he has more skill."

Roy is a SG, but "he has the ball because he has more skill."

Joe Johnson is a SG, but "he has the ball because he has more skill."

In closing, a point guard label does not establish possession of the ball, and a shooting guard label does not establish lack of possession of the ball. Tyreke will have the ball plenty, regardless if he is slotted to defend the opposing PG w/Cisco defending the OG, or defending the SG w/Beno defending the PG.

Can't quite screw myself, but I think I screwed plenty holes in your logic.

Kobe is a SG through and through, "but he has the ball because he has more skill."

Wade is a SG, but "he has the ball because he has more skill."

Roy is a SG, but "he has the ball because he has more skill."

Joe Johnson is a SG, but "he has the ball because he has more skill."

In closing, a point guard label does not establish possession of the ball, and a shooting guard label does not establish lack of possession of the ball. Tyreke will have the ball plenty, regardless if he is slotted to defend the opposing PG w/Cisco defending the OG, or defending the SG w/Beno defending the PG.

Can't quite screw myself, but I think I screwed plenty holes in your logic.

No. Tyreke is has good ball handling bubbah boo boo head.

It's funny how we still have people that want Evans at the 2. Yet they plug in Beno at the 1. What makes Beno more of a 1? Because he's shorter?
Because they played the best last year together when Beno did most of the basic PG duties like bringing it up and setting up the offense. After that it was pretty much all Evans. Whether someone puts Beno at 1 or two doesn't matter. They are both pretty much combo guards anyway.

And Landry becomes a matchup nightmare for us on the defensive end against opposing PF.
Which is helped considerably in our favour when you have a genuine shot blocker next to him in Dalembert!

Fact is Landry will play significant minutes for us this year and will start for us.

Beno and Evans or Garcia and Evans.

Wade and Jason Williams.
Kobe and Fisher.

or

Jordan and Harper.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Tyreke needs a role player. Garcia is more of a role player than Beno. Beno is good offensivley and not one demensional. He should be on the court without tyreke and have the ball in his hands and also be on the court with tyreke at times. Therefore Garcia starts as the roleplayin shooter and beno gives us good scoring off the bench. Its simple.

Because they played the best last year together when Beno did most of the basic PG duties like bringing it up and setting up the offense. After that it was pretty much all Evans. Whether someone puts Beno at 1 or two doesn't matter. They are both pretty much combo guards anyway.
Uhhh, no. The argument "he played best with Beno who is obviously the PG meaning Reke is best at SG" is bogus. For anyone who watched, Reke had 90% of the PG duties while Beno largely played off the ball, basically as an undersized 2 on offense.

You know what? Why do people HAVE TO box a player into PG or SG??? It's as if people don't understand that the game is much more complex than just a prototypical PG, SG, SF, PF, and C.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Beno had his best games when Tyreke was out. When he plays with Tyreke his numbers are modest at best like 12pts 4ast. Tyreke missed 5 games after the trade of Martin. In those games (games that Beno was on the court without Tyreke) his numbers were

16pts 12ast 5stls
18pts 15ast 10reb
19pts 8reb 5ast
18pts 10ast 7reb
20pts 17ast 4reb

that shows you Beno is at his best when Tyreke is off the court soo why put them on the court together most of the time. Beno needs time alone with ball in his hands to facilitate. Garcia will start mark it down.

Earlier before the trade both Martin and Tyreke were out against the Lakers Beno had 19pts 13ast

Last edited:
I would really like to see a lineup like this..

PG: Evans - Beno - Jeter
SG: Garcia - Beno - Wright
SF: Greene - Casspi
PF: Landry - JT - Whiteside
C: Dalambert - Cousins

To start the season. Garcia is a more capable defender I think then Beno plus his range is good and can fill the roleplayer slot next to Reke effectively HOPEFULLY. If he can't mesh well with Reke then Beno goes back to starting. I like Beno off the bench because of his skill and he can quickly change a game around or extend a lead offensively. Pretty solid defensive squad there - allows Landry to start as the main post guy, and as we hit the bench Cousins becomes that man. This is of course unless JT steps his game up and proves he should be a starter due to his superior rebounding I won't disagree there at all...

Hopefully as the season wears on JT/Landry and Dally/Cousins will switch spots in the starting lineup if they play up to what i hope they can

Given our attendance situation, and as Baja said, the interest that Cousins has generated, and the need to put butts in seats, I have a hard time seeing Big Cuz coming off the bench to begin the season. I do think they will limit his minutes, though. But really, with all the hype he's gotten (and I'm sure will get as the season approaches), comments from national figures, etc., I just can't imagine him not in the starting lineup opening night.

To me, the interesting question is: do they start Landry at the 4, or go with the monster front line of Cousins and Dally? I'm kind of really excited to see what kind of defense we can put together with Reke, Garcia, Donte, Dally, and Big Cuz all on the floor at the same time. I have a hard time seeing anyone score in bunches against us with that lineup, or get any kind of offensive rhythm. That kind of size has the ability to kind of break your confidence. There's no way anyone would be able to get any kind of rhythm with post scoring. And our perimeter defense has what could be called two elite defenders. Probably the main adjustment/switch that would have to happen would be Donte or Garcia cheating over and pestering the other teams quicker PFs.

i think whats confusing about this thread is at what point is this predicted lineup. some people are putting down what they think it will be at the start of the season, some are putting down what they think in the middle of the season and some are just putting down what they wish the lineup will be. if it was starting lineup the first game i'd go with:

tyreke
garcia
donte/casspi
landry
dalembert

im hoping as the season progresses, JT and cousins will grow and take over the starting jobs.

Uhhh, no. The argument "he played best with Beno who is obviously the PG meaning Reke is best at SG" is bogus. For anyone who watched, Reke had 90% of the PG duties while Beno largely played off the ball, basically as an undersized 2 on offense.

You know what? Why do people HAVE TO box a player into PG or SG??? It's as if people don't understand that the game is much more complex than just a prototypical PG, SG, SF, PF, and C.
That's bullcrap.. That's the one thing I was watching.. when they were on the floor together.. It was nowhere near 90%-10% lol on regards to what I mentioned about the trivial PG duties.. When the opposing team made a bucket who would take it up the court? Most of the time when both were in the game it was Beno.. Also, I said they were both combo guards so I don't care who starts where if people want to break it down to positions.. Whoever brings it up is no big deal, but I did see Beno as being the person that played best with Evans last season so I would like to have those two start in the back court.

Last edited: