UPDATE: Bulls match offer sheet for Zach LaVine (NEW Poll)

What's your take on the 4/78 offer to Zach LaVine?

• Total voters
Carmichael Dave for next GM. Remember Eddie?
Unfortunately, I do remember that film.

If our current rookies end up not panning out at all, I mean like Bagley turns out more like Pervis Ellison than KG kinda bad, then I'm down for that. Might as well bring in the reality TV show crew too at that point...

I understand your frustration, truly I do, but I was trying to just lighten the mood a bit. I honestly lumped you with others in regards to some of my comments, and for that I do apologize. You're right. You and I do align in a lot of ways.

One part, however, was true. Vlade made the Bagley can play the 3 comment, but it was taken out of context and he did later walk it back and explain more fully what he meant.

It's all good VF. I can't ever be mad at ya -- even when we disagree.

With regard to Vlade's retraction on the Bagley playing the 3 comment, I wasn't aware of it.

Lastly, even though I didn't take the bait, I do appreciate your efforts to lighten the mood. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it ;)

gunks

Hall of Famer
But that's kind of who you are, isn't it? At least your persona here. I think you try and be optimistic but you're a pessimist by nature and things like this just reinforce the pessimist part. I mean no disrrespect at all, by the way. You're as mercurial in your fandom as I am in mine, just in different ways, so I do empathize with your feelings.
Eh. Let's just say I haven't been given a ton of reasons to be optimistic in the last decade +.

If the Kings weren't perpetually in the cellar during the regular season, drafting busts, firing coaches, and making poor FA aquisitions I'd probably be a lot less pessimistic.

And yet for some reason, I'm still a fan. That's sports for you!

I don't love the signing. But. Contracts aren't as long as they used to be. And. The Kings have added potential talent (assuming Chicago does not match). If the organisation can get the most out of the kid then it could work out well.

The player, his teammates, the coaching and support staff have an opportunity to make this into something. Watching whether they will be able to or not is what makes sport interesting.

Deciding that the signing (or anything else this summer) is awful before anything happens on the court is not worth the energy.

^^ This is an ironic statement because Vlade is and was no more qualified than the radio guys (or any of us). He was never qualified for the job he was gifted. He had no prior experience in the field and has done nothing to show that he's a natural at it ala Bird, Kerr, etc.
I would like to address this post at face value, and use myself as an example. I believe Vlade is more qualified than me for this job. Here are some things he has over me that I think qualify him more:

He has played professional basketball in the NBA experiencing first hand how team dynamics work on the floor, what is required to win, what skills complement eachother etc..
He has experienced an NBA lockeroom with all of its dynamics and what effect that has on winning.
He has been part of NBA negotiations before as a player, has talked to GMs, to agents, gaining first hand insight into how business is done in the NBA.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
one way to enhance your monetary position is to convince other competitors to go broke first. Lodi could well be working to get Chicago to cough up more money for Lavine to decrease their profile as competitors for other free agents. The idea of playing defense is a GM seems to be almost absent in the modern NBA. ask Magic Johnson now if he thought it might have been worth offering DeMarcus Cousins some serious money not so much to play him but to keep him out of the hands and Golden State.

I would like to address this post at face value, and use myself as an example. I believe Vlade is more qualified than me for this job. Here are some things he has over me that I think qualify him more:

He has played professional basketball in the NBA experiencing first hand how team dynamics work on the floor, what is required to win, what skills complement eachother etc..
He has experienced an NBA lockeroom with all of its dynamics and what effect that has on winning.
He has been part of NBA negotiations before as a player, has talked to GMs, to agents, gaining first hand insight into how business is done in the NBA
While all these things you list are fact, it still doesn't qualify him for a GM job. Otherwise a vast majority of all former NBA players would be qualified.
Not all former players make good coaches, GM's, scouts or TV announcers. And usually (not always) the ones that do went through some kind of process/progression to get there.

Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are among the best car drivers of all time. They know and were exposed to things we'll never know. But that doesn't mean they would be great at building their own race car or be better than some ham and egger that's been doing it their whole life. Most the mechanics that build and work to improve the engine technology weren't world class drivers themselves. (yes, I know Stewart has his own race team, but he isn't one of the innovative engine techs).

Conversely, there are lots of talented NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL front office personnel that never played a lick of basketball and rely upon their education and knowledge of sports. See Daryl Morey and Mark Cuban among others. At one point, they were just highly educated fans.

And the national media (The Ringer, for instance) tried to push another "Kangz" article.

It is a ringing reminder (no pun... ok pun might be a little intended) that these media outlets still gotta pay their employees and random freelance writers even when no sports (That they care about, like soccer) is being played. A day goes by without an article is a day without pay for a lot of freelancer. I am a freelancer, I know. :)