UPDATE: Bulls match offer sheet for Zach LaVine (NEW Poll)

What's your take on the 4/78 offer to Zach LaVine?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Odd since they have Bogie and Buddy. Plus they were saying he didn’t look the same after his knee injury
I'm guessing this was started by his agent. We're gonna see a rash of this kind of stuff where they attempt to use the Kings as a bargaining chip. The worst part of TDOS is the time between now and the minute when free agents can actually start to sign those contracts. It was bad enough in the olden times. With everybody and their cat able to spread any wild-eyed rumor they can think of on social media, it's just gotten crazy.

I'm guessing this was started by his agent. We're gonna see a rash of this kind of stuff where they attempt to use the Kings as a bargaining chip. The worst part of TDOS is the time between now and the minute when free agents can actually start to sign those contracts. It was bad enough in the olden times. With everybody and their cat able to spread any wild-eyed rumor they can think of on social media, it's just gotten crazy.
Yes. We’re a target of agents using us as leverage because of our rep agents think teams will believe it. Been going on for years. Monta Ellis etc

LaVine brings the slashing Buddy and Bogdan lack. Look at how effortlessly he can get to the rim.
No dudes a ****ing scrub who plays no defense or pass can’t believe we’d even entertain him. The names being thrown out are terrible man LaVine/Parker that’s terrible just stay put than giving those selfish me first players money

Healthy LaVine stats from his last season in Minnesota:
37.2mins: 18.9pts 3.4rebs 3.0asts on 45.9/38.7/83.6

LaVine career stats:
28.7mins: 14.0pts 3.0rebs 3.2asts on 43.7/37.3/82.0

Reasons why we should target LaVine
  1. He's only 23yearsold! Bogdan will turn 26 in August, Buddy will turn 25 in December, and Zach won't turn 24 until March of next year. He's the same age as Justin Jackson!
  2. Star potential, he's got the athleticism and scoring instinct to be a star in the NBA
  3. Offensive skillset, he can handle the ball, drive, finish, shoot, and pass
  4. Dynamic pairing with Fox. 2 super athletic and quick guards in the back-court will be very hard to stop
  5. Zach is better than Buddy and Bogdan. He'd instantly be our best SG. I think by now, we already know who Bogdan is. He'll be a good player, but not a star. Buddy is more of a question mark. But LaVine? His ceiling is still the limit due to his age, athleticism, and skillset.

No dudes a ****ing scrub who plays no defense or pass can’t believe we’d even entertain him. The names being thrown out are terrible man LaVine/Parker that’s terrible just stay put than giving those selfish me first players money
lol he can't pass? He's got a career average of 3.2asts/game! Just for reference, Bogdan averaged 3.3asts/game. Would you say that Bogdan can't pass??

lol he can't pass? He's got a career average of 3.2asts/game! Just for reference, Bogdan averaged 3.3asts/game. Would you say that Bogdan can't pass??
Go ask Chicago and Minnesota fans what they think of him. I’ve seen him play enough to know we’re ****ed if he’s a king next year. What happened to building a team first passing style

Healthy LaVine stats from his last season in Minnesota:
37.2mins: 18.9pts 3.4rebs 3.0asts on 45.9/38.7/83.6

LaVine career stats:
28.7mins: 14.0pts 3.0rebs 3.2asts on 43.7/37.3/82.0

Reasons why we should target LaVine
  1. He's only 23yearsold! Bogdan will turn 26 in August, Buddy will turn 25 in December, and Zach won't turn 24 until March of next year. He's the same age as Justin Jackson!
  2. Star potential, he's got the athleticism and scoring instinct to be a star in the NBA
  3. Offensive skillset, he can handle the ball, drive, finish, shoot, and pass
  4. Dynamic pairing with Fox. 2 super athletic and quick guards in the back-court will be very hard to stop
  5. Zach is better than Buddy and Bogdan. He'd instantly be our best SG. I think by now, we already know who Bogdan is. He'll be a good player, but not a star. Buddy is more of a question mark. But LaVine? His ceiling is still the limit due to his age, athleticism, and skillset.
Check out some of his advanced stats.

.8 VORP
388th in the league in RPM

Those are both for his career year from last season in Minny. I think he's fools gold like Jabari and Wiggins.

LaVine played almost 40 minutes per game. Anyway his statistics looks better then expected. I remember him having tunel vision and not playing defense.

Go ask Chicago and Minnesota fans what they think of him. I’ve seen him play enough to know we’re ****ed if he’s a king next year. What happened to building a team first passing style
LaVine played almost 40 minutes per game. Anyway his statistics looks better then expected. I remember him having tunel vision and not playing defense.
That's straight up false. I put up LaVine's career stats above. 28.7mins 3.2asts/game.
This year Bogdan averaged 27.9mins 3.3asts/game.

So would any of you say he's not a passer? Stats prove otherwise. Look at his career asts% 18.6. Last year Bogdan was at 18.3. Buddy has a career 11.6%.

You can say Zach isn't a good defender, but it's silly to criticize him for his passing.

Check out some of his advanced stats.

.8 VORP
388th in the league in RPM

Those are both for his career year from last season in Minny. I think he's fools gold like Jabari and Wiggins.
I think you guys will be proven very wrong about him. I remember KF had the same sentiments about Reggie Jackson and Evan Fournier.

I think you guys will be proven very wrong about him. I remember KF had the same sentiments about Reggie Jackson and Evan Fournier.
I think Buddy and Bogie will both be better than Lavine from an advanced stat perspective. Zach may put up some pretty offensive numbers but it takes 20ppg for him to just be a slightly above average player. You can get that level of production from a 12ppg player that plays defense and plays within the offense.

I'd rather spend all the money on an Otto Porter type player than a Lavine. I'd even take Will Barton. Close to the same level of production on offense while being below average but still a lot better on defense than Zach.

I think Buddy and Bogie will both be better than Lavine from an advanced stat perspective. Zach may put up some pretty offensive numbers but it takes 20ppg for him to just be a slightly above average player. You can get that level of production from a 12ppg player that plays defense and plays within the offense.

I'd rather spend all the money on an Otto Porter type player than a Lavine. I'd even take Will Barton. Close to the same level of production on offense while being below average but still a lot better on defense than Zach.
It's more about the age and potential with LaVine. An Otto Porter Jr type player is capped out at what he is.. 3&D. LaVine has legitimate potential to be a star in the NBA, and he showed off his offensive potential in Minnesota. Again, he's only 23yearsold.

With someone like Barton, he's capped out as a player. He's 27yearsold and a good 6th man. I'm looking at LaVine as someone who could legitimately be your 2nd best player on a playoff team. I think he's got that type of potential in him. I just don't think Buddy nor Bogdan has that type of potential... and at this point, it's not even like you're gambling on an unknown. He's showed actual production through his 5 years, even in his injured year with the Bulls.

The thought of acquiring LaVine would've been impossible if not for his down year in Chicago after his injury. I don't think this is a gamble, but he's the type of player you roll the dice on.

The Kings have been idiots and overpaying in FAs for mediocre or bad players. If they're going to spend money, why not actually go after a rising young player? Just a reminder, the Kings offered 29yearold Wes Matthews coming off an achilles tear 4yrs $64million. Kings offered 30yearold Monta Ellis 4yrs $48million. Kings gave George Hill 2yrs $40million. Kings gave ZBo 2yrs $24million.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Lavine has all the talent to be a special player, but so far, injuries, and perhaps a lack of discipline have prevented it. right now, both Bog's and Buddy are better shooters, and that's mostly because Lavine takes a lot of bad shots. His injury history scares me more than anything else. I'd certainly take Porter over him ten times out of ten. I don't see him as a SF, and we don't need another SG, so not sure why the Kings would pursue him.

Lavine only shooting 40% on 2s raised an eyebrow. According to Basketball Reference, his % at the rim dropped, but his % on "floater territory (3-10ft)" cratered to 23%. Midrange was awful as well, but actually better than any other year. It's the at rim and in the paint stuff that really went down last year. His 3pt% fell off but that may be shot selection.

Wait a minute....1st you said you value guys who can create their own shot ....yet you crap on Lavine. Then you say you don’t want a “scrub” who plays no D, yet your big money FA is Hezonja. Not following your logic

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In the last two years Lavine has missed 93 of the possible 164 games he could have played in. He's a 6'5" SG, a position we currently have three players under contract for, and another player, Temple who if he opts in, we'll have four players that play the same position. Why in gods earth would we try and acquire another SG, potential or not, that's spent half his time on the injured list.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of Lavine. He takes a lot of contested shots, and he's not an efficient shooter because of it. He has around a 114 career defensive rating when last I checked. Everyone screams about Willie's defense, but guess what, Willie was tied with Koufos for the best defensive rating on the team last season with a 108 rating. So if your going to ***** about Willie, what are you going to do about Lavine. Like I said before, when your entering your 5th year in the league, your not paying for potential, your paying for results.

Personally, I think Lavine is fools gold!

It's more about the age and potential with LaVine. An Otto Porter Jr type player is capped out at what he is.. 3&D. LaVine has legitimate potential to be a star in the NBA, and he showed off his offensive potential in Minnesota. Again, he's only 23yearsold.

With someone like Barton, he's capped out as a player. He's 27yearsold and a good 6th man. I'm looking at LaVine as someone who could legitimately be your 2nd best player on a playoff team. I think he's got that type of potential in him. I just don't think Buddy nor Bogdan has that type of potential... and at this point, it's not even like you're gambling on an unknown. He's showed actual production through his 5 years, even in his injured year with the Bulls.

The thought of acquiring LaVine would've been impossible if not for his down year in Chicago after his injury. I don't think this is a gamble, but he's the type of player you roll the dice on.

The Kings have been idiots and overpaying in FAs for mediocre or bad players. If they're going to spend money, why not actually go after a rising young player? Just a reminder, the Kings offered 29yearold Wes Matthews coming off an achilles tear 4yrs $64million. Kings offered 30yearold Monta Ellis 4yrs $48million. Kings gave George Hill 2yrs $40million. Kings gave ZBo 2yrs $24million.
I get exactly where you're coming from and I agree with the thought of getting a possible young star long term but I just don't think that guy is going to be Lavine. I always raise an eyebrow at players who score a lot but don't have advanced stats on their side. Usually it's because they're either very inefficient or they don't play defense.

If this was 2016 and he was coming off his 14ppg sophomore season, I'd be more than excited to bring him in. But once he had his junior season and he put up big numbers with bad advanced stats, I knew the odds of him ever becoming the player people thought he could be just went down considerably. Throw in the injury and the odds went lower. Then you throw in the fact that he plays the same position as two of our best players and I just think there are better ways to go about winning.

Yeah Barton is capped out but he's a better player than Lavine right now and can play 1-3 with better playmaking, better rebounding, nearly as good scoring and better defense. 27 isn't that old. The guy should have a good 3-4 years of prime basketball in him and should come cheaper. You can roll the dice on Lavine but I think you'll end up with a decently scoring matador on defense that doesn't contribute to wins. He would have to up his game considerably from his career year last year to become a valuable player. How much further can he improve from his year last year? It was good from an offensive standpoint but his defense is at McDermott levels. Like McDermott, he has to be considerably good at other things to just break even. You'd almost have to count on Lavine becoming an efficient 25ppg 5apg player to be the guy that you're rolling the dice on. I just don't see that happening.

I mean if I knew the Kings were going to throw out a terrible contract like the ones you mentioned, yeah of course I'd rather pick up Lavine over those guys but I'd rather look for something better in the meantime.

And neither are really that great of a player. Certainly not worth what they're being paid and don't contribute to winning basketball.

Lavine has more upside than both because he's a far more natural offensive scorer, but seems like a weird investment to me. Unless you're sold he or Bogdan can play the 3 (which, I can believe), not a great fit here.

League sources indicated the Kings are considering signing Bulls restricted free agent Zach LaVine to an offer sheet. NBA free agency begins at 11:01 p.m. Central on Saturday.

As of Thursday, the Kings were poised to own roughly $18.7 million of salary-cap space when the NBA’s new fiscal calendar begins. If they choose to go the LaVine route, that would mean a four-year offer worth roughly $80 million, which the Bulls would have 72 hours to match.

The Bulls, who are expected to offer LaVine a multiyear deal at an annual salary lower than he is seeking, would almost certainly match that. But the Kings could make additional moves to clear more cap space and come closer to the max deal of four years and roughly $108 million that a rival team can offer LaVine. Such an offer could give the Bulls pause.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...s-zach-lavine-free-agency-20180628-story.html

OMG if Kings GT opts out and they offer LaVine to a Max deal Im gonna be sick
Now I want GT to opt in to save Kings from themselves

Are kings going to play Bogs and some of our Bigs at the 3 position - Vlade said they could!