Tyreke and Jimmer Watch, 2014-2015 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Was gonna say something pretty similar. He's missing his layups and frankly looks a lot slower and clumsier going to the basket, whereas in the past he was quick and crafty. His layup attempts look different than what they used to be, almost as if he's just trying to get it up and not score. Sorta in between a floater and a proper layup. Very frustrating to see considering what we were used to in his time here. His outside shot and passing look better - still has room to improve w.r.t decision making.

Also, he's terrible at boxing out. Just pays zero attention to his man once a shot goes up. He gets a bunch of rebounds just being around the rim but if you watch closely he very very often fails to box his man out on the occasion that his man does try to get the offensive board.
The odd thing about his outside shot is that when it goes in, it almost a dead-on bullseye and when he misses it pretty much looks like Shaq taking a free throw while blindfolded.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Despite a horrendous start (probably because he's being checked by Kawhi Leonard), Evans just went three-quarters of the length of the court in five seconds, and got a layup on the Spurs' defense, to give New Orleans the lead heading into the half.

Tyreke finally decided to finish around the basket on the last play of the 1st half in San Antonio. Ginobili schooled him a couple of times, and Holiday struggles with Parker, but overall Pels are fighting.

I must say - Jimmer's defense has improved tremendously. He still lacks the physical quickness or strength but his rotations and challenges are mostly spot on in light of his physical limitations. Also very surprising that he has yet to hit a 3 this season!

Tyreke continues to puzzle, missing wide open layups on the break and in the half court but nailing 3 pointers and stepback jumpers. Go figure!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans contributed 10 assists against 1 turnover, and 4 rebounds, but he shot like hard-boiled ass, fouled out, and gave up a triple-double to the guy he was guarding. Of course, the guy he was guarding was LeBron James, but still...

K

KingMilz

Evans, Gordon and Rivers just dribble the life out of the ball, the Pelicans need a SF who can shoot the ball and doesn't need to dribble 100 times before making a move, I can't believe they just let Morrow go and didn't get a SF who can space the floor.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

Evans continues to miss even the simplest of layups. Whatever happened to the layup king?
I'm sure there are going to be people here who hate this comparison, but when I see Evans around the rim this year, it reminds me a lot of how Ticha Penicheiro would attack the basket during the Monarchs' championship season: the Monarchs weren't really effective jump shooters, but they had two elite rebounders (Yolanda Griffith and Rebekkah Brunson), so their best offense was often a missed basket. Ticha knew she could beat her defender off the dribble, and she also knew that, if she missed it, Yo Griffith or Brunson could just go and get it, so she would just attack, and throw up some bull****, knowing that her bigs would score anyway... Tyreke Evans seems to have gotten kind of laissez-faire about throwing the ball up at the rim, because he knows that either Anthony Davis or Omer Asik will put it back in.

He's starting to get damn near automatic with that elbow three, though; he hit two more tonight.

I'm sure there are going to be people here who hate this comparison, but when I see Evans around the rim this year, it reminds me a lot of how Ticha Penicheiro would attack the basket during the Monarchs' championship season: the Monarchs weren't really effective jump shooters, but they had two elite rebounders (Yolanda Griffith and Rebekkah Brunson), so their best offense was often a missed basket. Ticha knew she could beat her defender off the dribble, and she also knew that, if she missed it, Yo Griffith or Brunson could just go and get it, so she would just attack, and throw up some bull****, knowing that her bigs would score anyway... Tyreke Evans seems to have gotten kind of laissez-faire about throwing the ball up at the rim, because he knows that either Anthony Davis or Omer Asik will put it back in.

He's starting to get damn near automatic with that elbow three, though; he hit two more tonight.
He's even missing when there's nobody around though. See his first take in the Lakers game. He gets all the way to the rim for what should be an easy finish, and blows the layup. The thing is this is a guy who lives on layups and has made all sorts of great finishes around the rim in the past. That's why it's weird that he isn't even finishing some of the easy ones now.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Reke currently 8th in assists as the engine that makes A.D. go.

And hey, look at that, Kings currently LAST in assists, just as we were last year, just as we have been ever since we let Tyreke go.

Also made the only three he's attempted. He's at .500 for the season on threes. Already made a fourth of what he made in his best shooting season. Now when he starts making layups and FTs...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Also made the only three he's attempted. He's at .500 for the season on threes. Already made a fourth of what he made in his best shooting season. Now when he starts making layups and FTs...
He's actually .522 on the season, counting the one he made tonight.

Reke currently 8th in assists as the engine that makes A.D. go.

And hey, look at that, Kings currently LAST in assists, just as we were last year, just as we have been ever since we let Tyreke go.
But first in FTA. By a healthy margin. When your two high usage players are best in the post 1-1, it can work. Okc with durant/Westbrook always hang out near the bottom in assists. It's not fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.