Training Camp- Day 6

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/Training_Camp_Blog_05-152742-58.html

October 9, 2005 - Day Six

If you had to pick a star of the first week of camp for the Kings, the consensus would probably be Kevin Martin—the guy has looked great.

But what about a sleeper? A guy that kind of comes of nowhere that might have a shot of making the team, ala Maurice Evans of last season.

This has been one of the Kings' deepest camps in some time, with a few of the invitees having NBA experience (Dan Langhi, Luis Flores and Eric Daniels) and the others very talented (Luke Schenscher, Anwar Ferguson, Ricky Paulding). But one guy that has really come out of nowhere to pop up on the Kings radar is Eric Sandrin.

Out of Seattle Pacific a year ago, Sandrin has played for the Harlem Globetrotters, a few ABA teams, and was on the Lakers summer league team—not exactly a long resume. He has impressed though this week with his athleticism and passing.

At 6’8, he can jump out of the gym and has had several big dunks in practice. Sandrin has also shown a really nice passing touch, both on the pick-and-roll and on the fast break. The only question mark is his shooting—but even then, he came off a pick on Sunday with the media watching and hit a nice 18-footer in rhythm that looked as natural as can be.

For Kings fans looking to find a possible sleeper in the fourth quarter of the upcoming preseason games, Eric Sandrin may be one to watch.

On a side note, assistant coach Pete Carril really wants Brad Miller to learn the baby hook that Luke Schenscher has displayed throughout camp. At one point on Sunday after Luke hit the hook on his defender with the shot clock running down, Carril looked at Miller on the bench and said, “See, why don’t you try it?”

A

AriesMar27

miller with a hook shot?how will he hit that from the high post? lol.... peja needs a hook shot and some balls....

More athletic than Rip Hamilton??? That's probably a bit far, but heres to hoping he does it and does for us what Rip does for Detroit:D

bbb said:
More athletic than Rip Hamilton??? That's probably a bit far, but heres to hoping he does it and does for us what Rip does for Detroit:D
I actually think Special K might be a little more athletic than Rip, but it may be splitting hairs though so who knows how much it matters. I think Kevin already has the ability to create his own shot, which Rip isn't really as adept at. It seems like the two are a little different, except in build of course (and that ridiculous face mask).

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Im all for Luke teaching Miller the hook, but Pedja needs to learn how to dunk! Well Miller could use to brush up on his dunking as well.

A

AriesMar27

true..... peja should be dunking..... maybe bonzi or kevin can teach peja the art of dunking.... if yap can learn so can peja.... lol...

Peja can dunk, but they are usually off cuts or fastbreaks. :)

It'd be cool to see him doing it from either side. This I doubt, but in the paint would be even better.

PFFFT!! said:
You mean Amare's last minute goal te....block?
No, unfortunately I was referring to the playoffs against Dallas when Finley (more than once I believe) blocked a Miller jumper after Miller attempted to use his height and weight to beat Finley in the post. A Miller hook would be a welcome site for those few times when opposing shooting guards are assigned to guard him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you had to pick a star of the first week of camp for the Kings, the consensus would probably be Kevin Martin—the guy has looked great.
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I sure wish we'd heard something about this guy. Geez...

;)

Man if miller can start hooking his hook shots he will be much ,much better because he has a Webber area shot and if he can score more inside that will help the Kings a lot

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Now of course the flipside is that Brad Miller is 29 years old and has somehow managed to avoid developing any discernible post skills until this point despite being 7'0" tall. It is another one of those "I wish he would"s I have about our guys, but doesn't seem likely at this point, whether it be because of lack of talent/coordination in there, or a lack of work ethic/desire to make it happen. The simple and unfortunate fact is that post skils are every bit as hard to develop as a facing jumper, and if it was easy, everybody would have them.

Besides this is how I look at it. Reef in the post, Brad at the elbow.

One thing I like about Brad is his ability to pumpfake and drive past his man from the freethrow line and get the and 1 or at least to the line. That Warriors game he basically carried us with that move. When you're as dangerous as he is at the elbow the defender will jump everytime.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
SacTownKid said:
Besides this is how I look at it. Reef in the post, Brad at the elbow.

One thing I like about Brad is his ability to pumpfake and drive past his man from the freethrow line and get the and 1 or at least to the line. That Warriors game he basically carried us with that move. When you're as dangerous as he is at the elbow the defender will jump everytime.
He's got to learn to be a bit more agressive with that at times. Dude - you've got skillz - use them! :D

Brad doesn't have a back- to- the basket game, but I don't see why he can't develop a nice baby hook. He definately has the shooting touch for it. Vlade should come back and teach Brad more of his crafty low post moves.