Trade targets

I admittedly don't watch a lot of Atlanta Hawks games, but I don't see it with Collins. Selfishly, I hope the Kings trade for Collins so I can see what the fuss is about. He's good, but not great.

The Kings would probably have to give up Barnes to get Collins. Kings would get a 4 who can space the floor, but will still need a player in that SF spot. The Kings can accomplish the same by sliding Barnes to the 4. They will have a floor spacing 4, who can actually play defense, and has a post game. Will still have that empty spot at SF.

Lol screw these guys after the crap they pulled with the last buddy trade. They have nothing of interest on that team
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-reached-kings-talen-horton-094355912.html
The Lakers and GM LeBron really shot themselves in the foot when they called off that trade to go after Westbrook instead. Everyone knew at the time that Buddy would've been a much, much better fit with James and Davis that Russ. Now instead of increased spacing they have clogged lanes and an immovable contract with no other means to improve that team. The only reason I was happy that deal didn't go down is that I (and pretty much everyone on this board at the time) knew the Lakers would be worse off. Good.

But in hindsight it would have improved the Kings too. Harrell would have likely meant NOT dealing Delon Wright for TT and Kuzma would be a good fit with Fox and Haliburton, making it easier to move Barnes. Oh well.

The Lakers and GM LeBron really shot themselves in the foot when they called off that trade to go after Westbrook instead. Everyone knew at the time that Buddy would've been a much, much better fit with James and Davis that Russ. Now instead of increased spacing they have clogged lanes and an immovable contract with no other means to improve that team. The only reason I was happy that deal didn't go down is that I (and pretty much everyone on this board at the time) knew the Lakers would be worse off. Good.

But in hindsight it would have improved the Kings too. Harrell would have likely meant NOT dealing Delon Wright for TT and Kuzma would be a good fit with Fox and Haliburton, making it easier to move Barnes. Oh well.
If I'm being honest, I probably would have drafted Garuba with the 1st and avoided signing Len & Harkless to two year deals.

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Wright
SG - Haliburton / Davis / Ramsey
SF - Barnes / Garuba / Woodard
PF - Kuzma / Bagley / Metu
C - Holmes / Harrell / Jones

Still a log jam at guard with Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Davis, & Wright though, but then again, we have a log jam at guard now with Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Davis, & Hield.

Obviously I don't see that team taking the league by storm, but it would have been a better product than what we currently see (and another 1st round pick/Garuba to add to the young core).

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
If I'm being honest, I probably would have drafted Garuba with the 1st and avoided signing Len & Harkless to two year deals.

Still a log jam at guard with Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Davis, & Wright though, but then again, we have a log jam at guard now with Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Davis, & Hield.

Obviously I don't see that team taking the league by storm, but it would have been a better product than what we currently see (and another 1st round pick/Garuba to add to the young core).
Yeah, Garuba would have been my pick too. He needs to improve as a shooter but I think he's ready to contribute defensively at least and would have given us one more player who can chase taller 3s and stretch 4s around the perimeter. DiVincenzo, Kuzma, and Harrell aren't world beaters or anything but the roster would have looked a lot more balanced if Monte had been able to complete those trades. Both Len and Harkless look a lot like dead weight to me, unfortunately, but at least they only have 1 year left on their deals.

I forgot that the 1st round pick was also rumored to be part of that deal. Garuba would have been a good pick. I probably would have been really disappointed to see Jalen Johnson go two picks earlier. I was really high on he and Sengun before the draft. Bones Hyland would be a bad fit with all the guards but good value. Maybe a bit early for Herb Jones but there were a few of us that really liked him. He'd be a great fit at SF and along with Mitchell could have helped change the defensive culture.

SF - Jones / Harkless / Woodard
PF - Kuzma / Barnes/ Bagley / Metu

and you'd still have Barnes, Bagley, and possibly Holmes to dangle in trades.

The only thing i have noted that with the last few games being as uncompetitive as they hace been, i dont think hali has the personality to make full use of his skill set and that this team while bad in general, is absolutely garbage without fox. That without question he is the more important of the two players to any real success.

Buddy has been bad this year but THT has been a lot worse. He looked to be potentially ascending into a solid player but his value has dipped a ton this year. Making him look more like a fringe player instead.
lol of course they now want to try and parlay him into Buddy. When will teams just stop dealing with these clowns

Buddy has been bad this year but THT has been a lot worse. He looked to be potentially ascending into a solid player but his value has dipped a ton this year. Making him look more like a fringe player instead.
Yeah. To be fair, I think he couldn't be in a worse situation as he's like a slasher/playmaker type and not much of a shooter. And there's negative spacing on that Laker squad, so he's not really being utilized at all the same way as he was last year.

Would have been totally on board before the season, but now with more information on THT, I'm not sure.

I admittedly don't watch a lot of Atlanta Hawks games, but I don't see it with Collins. Selfishly, I hope the Kings trade for Collins so I can see what the fuss is about. He's good, but not great.

The Kings would probably have to give up Barnes to get Collins. Kings would get a 4 who can space the floor, but will still need a player in that SF spot. The Kings can accomplish the same by sliding Barnes to the 4. They will have a floor spacing 4, who can actually play defense, and has a post game. Will still have that empty spot at SF.
Wonder if we could trade buddy and the frp instead of Barnes. Dare atl to play with buddy and bogie lol

Yeah. To be fair, I think he couldn't be in a worse situation as he's like a slasher/playmaker type and not much of a shooter. And there's negative spacing on that Laker squad, so he's not really being utilized at all the same way as he was last year.

Would have been totally on board before the season, but now with more information on THT, I'm not sure.
Yeah with Fox, Hali and Mitchell, I don't really see a position for him here. Would just compound on top of the same issues this team already has.

They need to remove Hield from this team, even if it's just an addition by subtraction type move. He's unprofessional and doesn't understand or respect competitive spirit. In other words, he adds to a losing culture. Get the guy and his contract out of here, even if it means not getting an ideal young player in return

They need to remove Hield from this team, even if it's just an addition by subtraction type move. He's unprofessional and doesn't understand or respect competitive spirit. In other words, he adds to a losing culture. Get the guy and his contract out of here, even if it means not getting an ideal young player in return
I think they've really done themselves a disservice by letting Hield's value drop so much. He should have been traded last year at minimum.

They need to do the same while Barnes is still looking decent.

Disagree, as a GM you have understand some degree of psychology. The NBA player is built a certain way. Buddy didn't go full Ben Simmons either. And that was literally after he thought he was going to his dream destination of LA. That had to hurt. He still showed up and gave some effort at least. Expecting it to work and giving it a go might have been worth it, but as soon as the **** hit the fan way earlier in the season Monte needed to start making those calls.

I think they've really done themselves a disservice by letting Hield's value drop so much. He should have been traded last year at minimum.

Are we sure Buddy’s trade value has declined? His play has worsened but his contract has gotten shorter during that time as well.

I agree with you about Barnes, though.

Are we sure Buddy’s trade value has declined? His play has worsened but his contract has gotten shorter during that time as well.

I agree with you about Barnes, though.
I personally think so. He shoots 3-12 with for 9 points far too often. I think his value hinges on a team thinking he could go back to the way he shot a few years ago if he was on a more stable roster that could get him better shots.

We'll see what happens here at the deadline. NBA twitter/fans still have a super high regard for Buddy and it seems like Kings fans are the only ones ready to throw him out with the bath water. The declining contract helps and if you get him with the right stud that draws attention, I think he can be that guy from 2 years ago.

Disagree, as a GM you have understand some degree of psychology. The NBA player is built a certain way. Buddy didn't go full Ben Simmons either. And that was literally after he thought he was going to his dream destination of LA. That had to hurt. He still showed up and gave some effort at least. Expecting it to work and giving it a go might have been worth it, but as soon as the **** hit the fan way earlier in the season Monte needed to start making those calls.
The constant laughing it up with the opposing team, immediately after getting blown out, is terrible for an organization looking for an improved culture. It screams that he doesn't really care about the results. For me, he can't be gone soon enough. At least gather some players who give a damn about what just happened in the games. I'll take a guy like Terrance Davis over the Hield types.

The constant laughing it up with the opposing team, immediately after getting blown out, is terrible for an organization looking for an improved culture. It screams that he doesn't really care about the results. For me, he can't be gone soon enough. At least gather some players who give a damn about what just happened in the games. I'll take a guy like Terrance Davis over the Hield types.
Just for some perspective, Buddy has been here for what 5 years? He used to get mad when they lost. Mad enough that he'd go at the media, that he'd call out trust issues on the team (that he then apologised for). He's also been on the trading block for practically two years and was darn close to being traded. I've no doubt that he wholeheartedly agrees with you that he can't be gone soon enough. You're probably right that he doesn't care too much about the Kings record now, but don't mistake that for being his character through and through. Put him on another team and I'm pretty sure he won't be all smiles when the team is getting blown out.

For what it's worth, heard Fox was also hanging out with the Hawks guys after we were down 30, but haven't seen it firsthand myself. Being in a bad environment wears on folks.

Personally, i think players can do whatever they want as long as they produce on the court. Tyrese can be mad at losing all he wants, Barnes can be the utmost professional, but so what if they're still digging 15 point holes in the first and third quarter every other game?

Also, how exactly is Buddy "unprofessional"? Is he not showing up on time? Is he not being available to play? Is he not putting out effort when he's on the floor? Sounds like you just have your own interpretation of "competitive spirit", and on top of that have equated said spirit to professionalism.

I personally think so. He shoots 3-12 with for 9 points far too often. I think his value hinges on a team thinking he could go back to the way he shot a few years ago if he was on a more stable roster that could get him better shots.
All that said he's still shooting what 38% on high volume of 3s? Not too farfetched to imagine that goes way up on a better team.

Just for some perspective, Buddy has been here for what 5 years? He used to get mad when they lost. Mad enough that he'd go at the media, that he'd call out trust issues on the team (that he then apologised for). He's also been on the trading block for practically two years and was darn close to being traded. I've no doubt that he wholeheartedly agrees with you that he can't be gone soon enough. You're probably right that he doesn't care too much about the Kings record now, but don't mistake that for being his character through and through. Put him on another team and I'm pretty sure he won't be all smiles when the team is getting blown out.

For what it's worth, heard Fox was also hanging out with the Hawks guys after we were down 30, but haven't seen it firsthand myself. Being in a bad environment wears on folks.

Personally, i think players can do whatever they want as long as they produce on the court. Tyrese can be mad at losing all he wants, Barnes can be the utmost professional, but so what if they're still digging 15 point holes in the first and third quarter every other game?

Also, how exactly is Buddy "unprofessional"? Is he not showing up on time? Is he not being available to play? Is he not putting out effort when he's on the floor? Sounds like you just have your own interpretation of "competitive spirit", and on top of that have equated said spirit to professionalism.
Every post that I make is my opinion and interpretation. I thought that went without saying.

Hield hasn't been the same player, since the "negotiations" and signing of his current contract. Some people can handle a lot of money well,... but for others it changes how they approach things and they end up losing some of their competitive edge.

Every post that I make is my opinion and interpretation. I thought that went without saying.

Hield hasn't been the same player, since the "negotiations" and signing of his current contract. Some people can handle a lot of money well,... but for others it changes how they approach things and they end up losing some of their competitive edge.
That's possible, not denying it. I still wouldn't equate "competitive edge" to "professionalism" though. And like I said, what's the point of being supposedly competitive, coming out game after game saying we need to be better but still not actually win games? I've heard some fans/podcasters say that Buddy's (at least as observed/interpreted from laughing with opponents after bad losses) attitude is a bad influence on the team. If that's the case I think it says a lot more about the supposed guys we want to be building around than it does about Buddy who has 9 toes out the door.

I for one was not at all excited about that Buddy to LA trade, but now looking like it could have worked out well.
I was never a fan of Kuzma in LA , but now that he’s lost the hair dye and likely the pressures of being LBJ’s teammate perhaps I was wrong. Also was hoping to get another 1st and draft Garuba.