Trade targets

Kings didn't have the bag if chips to trade. That pick is severely protected and limits trading future picks.
The pick is top 18 protected meaning that most likely, the hawks will never get it and they know it. They essentially traded Cam Reddish for Knox who is a bag of chips so far in his career... Stale chips too. Thats not to say that Cam is stellar but he is definitely a player i would take a flier on for a mo harkless or a TD. Both are as impactful (ie not at all) as knox).

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Kings didn't have the bag if chips to trade. That pick is severely protected and limits trading future picks.
The pick is probably going to convey (it would if season ended today), but we'd put lotto protections on any pick we trade certainly and then we'd be in the same nightmare situation we were in when we innocently traded Omri and a future pick to the Cavs that took 6 years to convey. In that time we couldn't trade another first, so we made that stupid deal with Philly with multiple pick swaps and another first that took 4 years to convey.

Honestly believe that if we had a first to trade immediately, we wouldn't have made such a weird deal with Philly. I do wish we were trading for other teams firsts though, so we could safely trade them if they were happy playoff teams.

The pick is top 18 protected meaning that most likely, the hawks will never get it and they know it. They essentially traded Cam Reddish for Knox who is a bag of chips so far in his career... Stale chips too. Thats not to say that Cam is stellar but he is definitely a player i would take a flier on for a mo harkless or a TD. Both are as impactful (ie not at all) as knox).
Your missing the point. If the Kings traded their pick with those protections then they wouldn't be able to trade another pick until it conveyed. Potentially for 6 years.

Hollingers take “Overall, however, each team can make its case here: The Knicks can say they used a late future first to nab a big wing with starter potential, and the Hawks can say they turned an overtly negative player at present into an asset for the future. How history judges the deal depends largely on Reddish’s ability to convert potential into production.”

Are we sure Cam Reddish isn't a bag of chips as well? His last 3 years of performance would certainly suggest so.

I'm not tilted we passed at that tag. I'm more tilted we've neglected building a warchest (which some of us have literally been suggesting the last 5 years), that we aren't in the position to take a flier on Reddish. In our current situation, it would have been massively dumb to tie up our FRP into a bunch of protections over the next 3 years. That's something bad teams continue to do.
Would have taken that chance 10 times out 10 if it were me. Protected picks, bleh. I guess missing out on the next great PG to stack up with the rest is too much.

If we had the extra first, sure. But tying up our own FRP? Not for a player like Reddish
I don't get the fascination with Reddish either.

I was about to say he's a Hollis-Jefferson type player but when I looked up his metrics, they're actually way better than Reddish's.

He's the type of player you trade a CoJo for and then just cross your fingers and hope he miraculously improves, despite showing almost no signs of being able to improve. He's been a huge disappointment ever since his year at Duke. He's essentially as impactful as Kevin Knox.

IMO, Atlanta fleeced New York unless Thibs is able to turn him into a 3&D player.

I was about to say he's a Hollis-Jefferson type player but when I looked up his metrics, they're actually way better than Reddish's.

He's the type of player you trade a CoJo for and then just cross your fingers and hope he miraculously improves, despite showing almost no signs of being able to improve. He's been a huge disappointment ever since his year at Duke. He's essentially as impactful as Kevin Knox.

IMO, Atlanta fleeced New York unless Thibs is able to turn him into a 3&D player.
Yeah he's had a few spiked games this season and the playoffs last year where he "showed out". His impact isn't even in the same stratosphere that NBA twitter think it is.

Overall RAPTOR: -4.1
On/Off overall Rtg: -14.3
WS/48: 0.038
LA-RAPM: -3.8
LEBRON: -1.5
BPM: -1.8

What are we supposed to be mad about again? Would anyone care if Reddish was 28 with the same stat profile?

Now here's where Im interested. Hunter has been hurt all year so his numbers have struggled, but he had a real strong break-out last season, especially on defense. I think he's the glove fit archetype next to Fox/Hali, especially if the shooting levels out around 37%. If he can stay healthy, there's all-defensive upside here
I'm interested in Hunter too but those injury concerns are terrifying.

We'd better be getting back their first in dealing out Barnes, especially if we're taking back Gallo's salary as well.

Honestly, I don’t watch atl much and I don’t know who’s better, reddish, hunter, huerter or bogie. I just know atl can’t pay all their wings and maybe we could get one cheap. Reddish looked like he had potential but dunno if I’m trading a 1st for him. Especially a kings 1st which will prob be a lottery pick.

Honestly, I don’t watch atl much and I don’t know who’s better, reddish, hunter, huerter or bogie. I just know atl can’t pay all their wings and maybe we could get one cheap. Reddish looked like he had potential but dunno if I’m trading a 1st for him. Especially a kings 1st which will prob be a lottery pick.
ATL apparently suffers from the same issues that the Kings are suffering from…they don’t work for each other. Collins wants out, because of the team’s selfish play.

Yeah he's had a few spiked games this season and the playoffs last year where he "showed out". His impact isn't even in the same stratosphere that NBA twitter think it is.

Overall RAPTOR: -4.1
On/Off overall Rtg: -14.3
WS/48: 0.038
LA-RAPM: -3.8
LEBRON: -1.5
BPM: -1.8

What are we supposed to be mad about again? Would anyone care if Reddish was 28 with the same stat profile?
Exactly. His impact is ugly. You're betting on him developing into something despite him showing next to nothing since his time in Duke. A bet like that is not worth a first round gamble. You want a sure thing or a player that looks to be ascending.

Who knows, if he is worthy of a FRP then maybe Barnes has more value than we thought?

Exactly. His impact is ugly. You're betting on him developing into something despite him showing next to nothing since his time in Duke. A bet like that is not worth a first round gamble. You want a sure thing or a player that looks to be ascending.

Who knows, if he is worthy of a FRP then maybe Barnes has more value than we thought?
I think the entire point is that woth top 18 protection, the FRP is very unlikely to convey to ATL. Unless you think NY is a top 12 team in the league (they arent), they gave away Frank Knox. He is certainly worth a frank knox or in our case, a harklesss or TD Swap

I think the entire point is that woth top 18 protection, the FRP is very unlikely to convey to ATL. Unless you think NY is a top 12 team in the league (they arent), they gave away Frank Knox. He is certainly worth a frank knox or in our case, a harklesss or TD Swap
It might not convey this year but they'll be on the hook for it for the next few years.

Personally I'd keep TD over Reddish. He's shown more than Reddish ever has. Harkless I'd trade for him but the Hawks would just say no.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It might not convey this year but they'll be on the hook for it for the next few years.

Personally I'd keep TD over Reddish. He's shown more than Reddish ever has. Harkless I'd trade for him but the Hawks would just say no.
Did you see last season's playoffs? Reddish has shown to be an impact player in the playoffs. I like TD, especially a hecuvalot over Buddy, but he hasn't shown nearly the body of work that I can say he's better than Reddish.

The only concern I have with Reddish now is that he's under Thibs. Dude's got potential beyond a 3 and D type.

Did you see last season's playoffs? Reddish has shown to be an impact player in the playoffs. I like TD, especially a hecuvalot over Buddy, but he hasn't shown nearly the body of work that I can say he's better than Reddish.
And Reddish could totally be a total bust but the Hawks are about as close to the Kings in terms of doing almost everything wrong to build a path forward as you can get. They made Vlade's building of an overpaid role player wall in front of lotto picks look like genius. So far, the score is the only thing they did right over the Kings is to time their crap coach ouster better so that they got enough good vibes going to make the playoffs. Of course, that was also potentially their undoing because it forced them to cement their cap and give away a lottery prospect SF like Reddish for free. lol.

Mikki Moore also had a heck of a playoff run right before we signed him.

Reddish was solid in the playoffs, solid to start the year and that's been it for his career. He's showing that he can hit the 3 at a decent rate but that's it. Not a good defender, rebounder or passer. Can't hit 2pt shots worth a lick. He just hasn't been very good. Davis hasn't been all that great either but his metrics have been better than Reddish's. I wouldn't trade a first rounder for any of them.

It would suck to tie up a first rounder on Reddish and then miss out on Simmons or another impact player because of that. If he was available for Bagley, I would have done it just to take a flyer on him. Not saying he can't develop into a good player, I'm just saying the evidence is scarce and doesn't point to success. Its kind of like just picking a random stock in the market without looking at any indicators. Could get lucky but probably wont.

Mikki Moore also had a heck of a playoff run right before we signed him.

Reddish was solid in the playoffs, solid to start the year and that's been it for his career. He's showing that he can hit the 3 at a decent rate but that's it. Not a good defender, rebounder or passer. Can't hit 2pt shots worth a lick. He just hasn't been very good. Davis hasn't been all that great either but his metrics have been better than Reddish's. I wouldn't trade a first rounder for any of them.

It would suck to tie up a first rounder on Reddish and then miss out on Simmons or another impact player because of that. If he was available for Bagley, I would have done it just to take a flyer on him. Not saying he can't develop into a good player, I'm just saying the evidence is scarce and doesn't point to success. Its kind of like just picking a random stock in the market without looking at any indicators. Could get lucky but probably wont.
Its the type of flyer you can take if you have accumulated additional future draft assets. In that case you can spend one heavily protected pick to take that chance. Doesnt matter for the Kings as we've refused to collect those types of assets so there is no need to even discuss about situations like this

Its the type of flyer you can take if you have accumulated additional future draft assets. In that case you can spend one heavily protected pick to take that chance. Doesnt matter for the Kings as we've refused to collect those types of assets so there is no need to even discuss about situations like this
Even then, I probably don't do it. Lets say the pick conveys around #20.

19 Bey
20 Achuiwa
21 Maxey
20 Thybulle
21 Clarke
19 Huerter
21 G. Allen
19 Collins
22 J. Allen
23 Anunoby
20 Levert

Those are the guys that were available in the 20ish area since 2016. I'll roll the dice on a bust or one of those guys over what Reddish has shown so far.

19 Bey
20 Achuiwa
21 Maxey
20 Thybulle
21 Clarke
19 Huerter
21 G. Allen
19 Collins
22 J. Allen
23 Anunoby
20 Levert

Those are the guys that were available in the 20ish area since 2016. I'll roll the dice on a bust or one of those guys over what Reddish has shown so far.
You're probably right. I havent watched enough Hawks to determine on if these horrible advanced metrics tell the complete truth or not. I would be extremely happy to have those additional 20th picks in the draft to get more bites of the apple because once you draft someone you basically own that player for 7-8 years, first 4 on below market and the other 4 for market value at max.

19 Bey
20 Achuiwa
21 Maxey
20 Thybulle
21 Clarke
19 Huerter
21 G. Allen
19 Collins
22 J. Allen
23 Anunoby
20 Levert

What tilts the argument in your favor is Reddish's contract. He's at the back end of his rookie deal. You may not get the floor that Reddish has established, but you get the upside and a few more years of control if you take #20 instead of Reddish.

After hearing the Monte interview we likely know two things: We are not tanking and we are not going to trade for a rental.

Seems like the latest rumors indicate the Sixers are not interested in Fox and I doubt Haliburton/Barnes is enough to grab Ben. The only path to Simmons would likely be through a third party. If Washington decided to trade Beal and would rather have Fox than Simmons that could potentially work. Does Boston finally decide to break up the Brown/Tatum pairing? I doubt it but you never know.

At this point, the most likely scenario is that the Kings keep Fox and Haliburton past the deadline. How do we trade Barnes and improve the team now and in the future? What about buddy? Kuzma and Uh Oh would have probably made this team better had that trade gone down. Is there something like that out there for him? Mitchell had a solid start defensively but his shooting numbers are awful. Might as well let him develop and I assume he will get even better defensively next season. I assume Bagley is available but who has a wing that could use a change of scenery that is available?

After hearing the Monte interview we likely know two things: We are not tanking and we are not going to trade for a rental.

Seems like the latest rumors indicate the Sixers are not interested in Fox and I doubt Haliburton/Barnes is enough to grab Ben. The only path to Simmons would likely be through a third party. If Washington decided to trade Beal and would rather have Fox than Simmons that could potentially work. Does Boston finally decide to break up the Brown/Tatum pairing? I doubt it but you never know.

At this point, the most likely scenario is that the Kings keep Fox and Haliburton past the deadline. How do we trade Barnes and improve the team now and in the future? What about buddy? Kuzma and Uh Oh would have probably made this team better had that trade gone down. Is there something like that out there for him? Mitchell had a solid start defensively but his shooting numbers are awful. Might as well let him develop and I assume he will get even better defensively next season. I assume Bagley is available but who has a wing that could use a change of scenery that is available?
Hali gets it done, but I think McNair should get fired if he trades Hali.
I think it’ll come down to Harris. Are the Kings willing to take on that contract?
If Monte, indeed, keeps both Fox and Hali, he’s gone by the middle of next year. Middle managers should not be in a first chair role.

According to Marc Stein, the Sixers would be interested in trading with Sac if it involved us taking on the Harris contract