Trade Suggestion: Fox for Simmons + #28

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted a very similar variation to this in another thread.

However, I’d flip Bagley, Wright, and #28 for Porzingis. Gives Dallas two expirings to go after another big name to pair with Doncic and a cheap rookie contract. That leaves us with…

PG - Halliburton
SG - Hield / James / Ramsey
SF - Barnes / Woodard
PF - Simmons
C - Porzingis / Metu / Jones
Picks - #9 & #39

Like you said, it would be a very well balanced team and be almost as good of a fit as you can put around Simmons.
If possible it would absolutely have to be considered.

And that's from someone who loves Fox and doesn't care a ton for Simmons. Going back to the ROY race and his comments towards Donovan Mitchell he's always seemed douche-like and overly smug despite the gaping hole in his game.

I posted a very similar variation to this in another thread.

However, I’d flip Bagley, Wright, and #28 for Porzingis. Gives Dallas two expirings to go after another big name to pair with Doncic and a cheap rookie contract. That leaves us with…

PG - Halliburton
SG - Hield / James / Ramsey
SF - Barnes / Woodard
PF - Simmons
C - Porzingis / Metu / Jones
Picks - #9 & #39

Like you said, it would be a very well balanced team and be almost as good of a fit as you can put around Simmons.
For this Kings squad, they shouldn’t touch Porzingis with a 39-and-a-half foot pole. I don’t think Monte will go there.

From what I’ve read, simmons doesn’t want to play the 4 or have the ball taken out of his hands.
If the Kings traded for Simmons, I don't think they would put him at the 4. I think they would move him to Small Forward and he can be a point forward and share ball handling with Fox and Hali.

That being said, NO WAY would I trade Fox for Simmons and #28.

If I were Monte, I would offer up salary relief, elite 3 point shooting (Buddy), a young player with upside (Bagley) and a lottery pick (#9 this year).

My highest offer would be Hield, Bagley, and the #9 pick this year for Simmons. Hopefully, Mote can use his relationship with Morey to get Simmons to the Kings. Then, hopefully, the Kings can re-sign Holmes to play center.

Kings New Line up:

PF: Harrison Barnes / Metu
SF: Ben Simmons / Harkless / Woodward
C: Richaun Holmes / Jones
SG: Tyrese Haliburton / Davis
PG: D'Aaron Fox / Wright

Firstly lets all remember that when confronted with his shooting woes a few years ago, this guy said that he doesnt think he needs to work on his shot. That its just not relevant to HIS game after getting bounced in the playoffs. He not only has made zero progress on his shot but he has gone backwards with his free-throw shooting. All these guys clamoring to get rid of Fox, can you tell me as frustrated as you get watching fox clang free throws off the back iron, are you ready to watch this with Simmons at twice tge clip? Then you have the bad attitude and poor work ethic and coddled lifestyle of Simmons who by all accounts has been surrounded by yes men in both his inner circle and the 76ers organization. I do not want that brought here. Now lets add to this, the fact that he refused during this run to play off the ball. He wants the ball in his hand. For all the guys happy with such a trade, you want to bring in a max player version of Thybull (forward who doesn't have the ball in his hand because you gave it to Hali) brought in for his size and defense but all of you have put him at the 3 or 4 where his size and defense are not nearly as unicorni as they are at the 1 spot... All for a guy who literally has improved his game every year and has elite speed, no problems taking and in many cases making the big shots who who led the NBA in 4th quarter scoring despite not being a great 3pt or FT shooter. Just wait till he goes to Philli and becomes one. Just a IT pizza guy to MVP candidate story waiting to happen except everybody will see it coming except us this time.

The thing people who compare simmons to Kidd or Rondo miss is the absolute dismal shooting display. Those two didn't shy away from taking shots when they had them. Even though they werent great shooters (Kidd did become pretty good though at the end), they took the shots. Simmons was getting rid of the ball quickly, giving up dunks. This year, he had the worst FT percentage of ANY player who took 70 or more free throws in the playoffs at 34%. That beats all time terrible shooters like Shaq and Dwight. His career avg in the playoffs is 52%.as a damn guard. As a lead guard he took less than 8 shots a game this year's playoffs!

Last edited:
I know folks want to compare this to the Webber acquisition, but at least there weren't a whole lot of on-court questions about CWebb.
Sure there were. Many of the same questions there are about Simmons right now.

Webb was a career 55% FT shooter at the time. He even shot sub-50% his first season in SAC before he made drastic improvement.

He also had a suspect jumper and limited scoring ability outside the lane. He basically had a jump hook as his go to move and utilized his quickness and athleticism around the hoop.

He also had the stigma of not being clutch.

Like Simmons you didn’t want him on the floor at the end of games because of the stigma and inability to hit free throws.

He also wasn’t the rebounder he eventually became.

Sure there were. Many of the same questions there are about Simmons right now.

Webb was a career 55% FT shooter at the time. He even shot sub-50% his first season in SAC before he made drastic improvement.

He also had a suspect jumper and limited scoring ability outside the lane. He basically had a jump hook as his go to move and utilized his quickness and athleticism around the hoop.

He also had the stigma of not being clutch.

Like Simmons you didn’t want him on the floor at the end of games because of the stigma and inability to hit free throws.

He also wasn’t the rebounder he eventually became.
Age 26 to 28 is when it clicks for most players. Dude is 24 going on 25.

Folks worry about Bags becoming a player on a different team later on his career. Don't see why Simmons can't do the same thing, but on the Kings.

Firstly lets all remember that when confronted with his shooting woes a few years ago, this guy said that he doesnt think he needs to work on his shot. That its just not relevant to HIS game after getting bounced in the playoffs. He not only has made zero progress on his shot but he has gone backwards with his free-throw shooting. All these guys clamoring to get rid of Fox, can you tell me as frustrated as you get watching fox clang free throws off the back iron, are you ready to watch this with Simmons at twice tge clip? Then you have the bad attitude and poor work ethic and coddled lifestyle of Simmons who by all accounts has been surrounded by yes men in both his inner circle and the 76ers organization. I do not want that brought here. Now lets add to this, the fact that he refused during this run to play off the ball. He wants the ball in his hand. For all the guys happy with such a trade, you want to bring in a max player version of Thybull (forward who doesn't have the ball in his hand because you gave it to Hali) brought in for his size and defense but all of you have put him at the 3 or 4 where his size and defense are not nearly as unicorni as they are at the 1 spot... All for a guy who literally has improved his game every year and has elite speed, no problems taking and in many cases making the big shots who who led the NBA in 4th quarter scoring despite not being a great 3pt or FT shooter. Just wait till he goes to Philli and becomes one. Just a IT pizza guy to MVP candidate story waiting to happen except everybody will see it coming except us this time.

The thing people who compare simmons to Kidd or Rondo miss is the absolute dismal shooting display. Those two didn't shy away from taking shots when they had them. Even though they werent great shooters (Kidd did become pretty good though at the end), they took the shots. Simmons was getting rid of the ball quickly, giving up dunks. This year, he had the worst FT percentage of ANY player who took 70 or more free throws in the playoffs at 34%. That beats all time terrible shooters like Shaq and Dwight. His career avg in the playoffs is 52%.as a damn guard. As a lead guard he took less than 8 shots a game this year's playoffs!
Don’t think it is unreasonable to consider trading for a player who is only two years older, but has made three all star teams and plays at an all nba level on defense. Especially on a team that currently has zero all star appearances on its roster.

Lets not ignore the fact that fox plays in Sacramento, the wasteland of basketball as far as media is concerned. They promote the notion that the kings have nothing of value. It took cousins forever to make an all star game despite being the best center in the league for years because they couldn't win. Fox was snubbed for being in Sacramento on a team that doesnt win.

As for people being against simmons, but worried about trading bagley, I don't think you will find anyone not willing trade bagley for simmons. The issue is that Fox is a better player, irrespective of what media says.

NBA Rumors: Sacramento Kings Could Trade De'Aaron Fox For Ben Simmons - Fadeaway World

Per Landon Buford:

Kings and Sixers have had preliminary discussions on a deal that would send Simmons to Sacramento in exchange for De'Aaron Fox. Kings initial offer was oriented around Buddy Hield, per Source.​
Unclear if Fox is on the table yet, but the Sixers remain engaged at the prospect of a Fox-Embiid duo.​

if I see one more Fox for Simmons Rumor i'm gonna Hurl

Please Monte call Fox right away and let him know he is NOT on the table!

NBA Rumors: Sacramento Kings Could Trade De'Aaron Fox For Ben Simmons - Fadeaway World

Per Landon Buford:

Kings and Sixers have had preliminary discussions on a deal that would send Simmons to Sacramento in exchange for De'Aaron Fox. Kings initial offer was oriented around Buddy Hield, per Source.​
Unclear if Fox is on the table yet, but the Sixers remain engaged at the prospect of a Fox-Embiid duo.​

Interesting. Here's dude's twitter thread:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Per Landon Buford:

The two bolded sections seem to be a bit contradictory.

(putting aside questions regarding the source of these rumors)

It could be possible that the Kings offered Hield (plus picks, Bagley, whatever) and the Sixers countered asking for Fox. Are those "discussions" without Fox being on the table? Maybe.
Seems like what may have happened. Trying to figure out who this dude is and who would be his source. Agents? Philly? Not Sac, because he's new to me.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

It could be possible that the Kings offered Hield (plus picks, Bagley, whatever) and the Sixers countered asking for Fox. Are those "discussions" without Fox being on the table? Maybe.
I guess it depends on what the definition of "preliminary discussions" is. I mean, if six-year-old Bobby lobbies his parents to get his bedtime extended to midnight, I would say that the fact this bedtime shift is not remotely on the table would pretty much preclude honestly labeling this as "preliminary discussions".

This seems like the most probable scenario to me. The Kings could have offered Hield + others, and the Sixers could have simply said, "We want an all-star level talent, so we're not entertaining any deal with you that doesn't include Fox." Thus Fox's name gets bandied about in "preliminary discussions" of a trade framework centered on Ben Simmons, even if McNair is not particularly interested in dealing Fox. You've gotta do your diligence, after all, especially when an all-star like Simmons could be on the trade block.

That said, I think there is very little chance that Monte has any interest in dangling Fox in any kind of trade as of yet. This may change on or after draft day, of course, especially if the Kings end up being dead-set on drafting a guard like Mitchell or Bouknight, or if Jalen Suggs miraculously falls to 9. But if I'm the Kings' GM, I've seen enough of Fox/Hali to warrant investment in them as the dynamic backcourt of the future, so it would to take a very special deal or a very particular set of circumstances to get me to abandon the potential of that pairing--potential that is already delivering after only a single shortened season together. Give Fox/Hali a full training camp/preseason and 82 games of regular season play, plus the benefit of familiarity, and they could quickly become one of the deadliest backcourts in the entire league. It would take a lot to get me to abandon that possibility.

Of course, I'm not the Kings' GM. Perhaps Monte is much more intrigued by a lineup that features (Mitchell or Bouknight)/Haliburton/Simmons than he is by a lineup that features Fox/Haliburton/(Jalen Johnson or Barnes or Moody or Wagner). In which case, perhaps he is much more willing to deal Fox than I would be. But I'm not yet convinced that Mitchell/Bouknight are surefire stars in the NBA, nor am I convinced that there is considerable daylight between their talent level and the talent level of someone like Scottie Barnes or Jalen Johnson. Given that, I'm rolling with Fox and picking one of the talented multi-positional two-way wings that will be available at 9 on a draft day that will be unusually chock full of talented multi-positional two-way wings in a league that is increasingly valuing talented multi-positional two-way wings.

In other words, I don't trade for Ben Simmons unless I can convince the Sixers to take any combination of players/picks that does not include Fox/Haliburton.

Simmons - more interested in scoring off the court than on the court (See Maya Jama rumors)
Wherever he is traded he will play out his $147M contract , be uninterested in making his team a winner,
Does not want to go to Sacramento, will destroy our Locker room whomever the Coach

Fox - knows he is our franchise player, he wants to be in sacramento, a family guy, improving each year
will continue to work at getting us to the playoffs

Why would Monte even consider this?

(getting my pitchfork ready for action)

I guess it depends on what the definition of "preliminary discussions" is. I mean, if six-year-old Bobby lobbies his parents to get his bedtime extended to midnight, I would say that the fact this bedtime shift is not remotely on the table would pretty much preclude honestly labeling this as "preliminary discussions".
And if there was a field of journalism dedicated to reporting on and hyping up the negotiations that occur between parents and their children, the circumstances as you've presented them would certainly not preclude that negotiation from being described in such a manner. ;)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If Philly is saying Fox needs to be included or there's no deal I'm walking away. The Sixers might as well go after Lillard at that point. With all the drama going on in Portland they might actually have a shot. Simmons is a great player and if someone can teach him to shoot he'd be a franchise player but right now I'm looking at Fox being right around the top 10 in ppg, apg, and spg last year and signed for the next 5 years and 23 years old and showing improvement every year and that's just not a gamble I want to take.

Per Landon Buford:

The Sixers are clearly underwhelmed with the offers they are getting. You can almost guarantee Monte offered Buddy and as soon as the Sixers fired back with Fox they got laughed off the phone. But yeah, Monte better be on top of that, the Kings locker room is hot enough with grumpy players.

From where I’m sitting, 26th parallel south, Fox and Haliburton are the most promising young backcourt duo in the NBA. I’m not messing with that.
I do however think Simmons could be a great fit with them so to sweeten any other possible deal throw in the 9th and they can pick Mitchell.

From where I’m sitting, 26th parallel south, Fox and Haliburton are the most promising young backcourt duo in the NBA. I’m not messing with that.
I do however think Simmons could be a great fit with them so to sweeten any other possible deal throw in the 9th and they can pick Mitchell.
If the Sixers turned down Brogdan/14 and then Buddy/Filler/9 then they might be pulling another Harden or they just want to make Simmons think they tried so lets patch it up. Bring a PO'd Simmons back and those offers might look pretty great compared to what they eventually get. I can get why they might not want a lotto pick that isn't in the top but Simmons is what he is and his value is at an all time low right now. They should look at getting a Beal level talent but again, that's probably beyond his value right now.

The Sixers getting a superstar for superstar deal isn't likely since Simmons isn't one.

If the Sixers turned down Brogdan/14 and then Buddy/Filler/9 then they might be pulling another Harden or they just want to make Simmons think they tried so lets patch it up. Bring a PO'd Simmons back and those offers might look pretty great compared to what they eventually get. I can get why they might not want a lotto pick that isn't in the top but Simmons is what he is and his value is at an all time low right now. They should look at getting a Beal level talent but again, that's probably beyond his value right now.

The Sixers getting a superstar for superstar deal isn't likely since Simmons isn't one.
From what I understand they want a shooter and a PG to complement Embiid. We know what Buddy brings and I’ll go all out and say Mitchell is no Mateen Cleaves where his best days were winning a college championship.
Throw in Bagley and or parts to make salaries work, otherwise forget um.

Last edited: