Trade deadline approaching for Kings

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The way I see it, there was no clear way to choose this summer, and what was chosen was the only option.
We ARE rebuilding, but we cannot allow ourselves to blow things up.

To go win now, Kings would have to get not one, but several very good players, and considering how desirable Kings are as a destination and could not overpay for a single semi-star over the past two off-seasons, I do not see how would that be possible.

To go for a full rebuild, that would require not just trading Cuz, but another 3-4 years of heavy sucking for the younglings to get up to NBA speed.
After self inflicting wounds over past 5-6 years, adding 3-4 for a very unpredictable path... well patience is already thin, do not see this faring well for the franchise.

With this "half-assed" approach, we got 4 young guys that we can groom.
While not high skill quality, we have a team with NBA level veteran players (admittedly mostly bench quality) that is fighting and competing nightly and is as homogenous and in better moral now than in any January I can think of in the past 7-8 years. By keeping an eye on the playoff, this fighting underdog environment is very good for the development of the players, re-introduces Kings as a team that has a vision to the rest of the league/free agents, and making a playoff would be just the cream on the top.
Compared to the last year this time the only similarity is record, the team as a concept did not exist anymore and there was no stability or idea what will happen next what so ever.

Long way to go, slowly building the new identity, but imho making playoff or just simply staying together as a team is more important than another draft pick this year.
Still way faster than a full blowup.

The guys you listed that are staying after this year ARE the guys that matter, and getting them to fight for the playoff or just learn from the vets that fight for the playoff is worth it compared to tanking or sucking another 3-4 years.
Well first, I don't think you have to trade Cousins to do a total rebuild. Of course its a path you can take, and that's a big decision, but I think you can rebuild with him in place. I agree that the players the Kings would have left if everything plays out the way it appears it should, are all keepers. At least right now. But it leaves the team with bare bones to start next season. If Rudy opts in, and logic says he will, we'll have around 28.5 mil in cap space. If for some reason he decides to opt out, then that jumps up to around 42.8 mil.

Either way, we'll have some money to work with. It's possible that some of this will change at the trade deadline. Players like Collison or Koufos could be traded for immediate, or future assets. Bot have value around the league, especially to teams in the playoff hunt with roster holes to fill. Such as the Cav's who are in the hunt for a backup PG. I believe Houston has already inquired about Koufos. Whether we're sellers or not will probably depend on where we're at in the standings at the trade deadline.

I know a lot of fans easily discard our draft pick as something that's slightly relevant to the future of the team. If we have it OK, and if we lose it, no big deal. Well it can be a big deal. Cousins was a draft pick. Because the Kings have made some bad choices doesn't mean the process is bad. Choose wisely, and you get at minimum, a good rotation player, and at best, a quality starter. And at a very very reasonable price for four years. And the way the new CBA is set up, you'll have the best chance of resigning that player if you desire to do so.

There's a very good chance we're going to be passed in the standings by a team (Philly) that's been the laughing stock of the NBA. Why? Because they tanked for top draft choices. Guess what? It looks like what Hinkie was doing is going to work. But, it does take time and patience. Personally, I have the patience. Not sure about the time part, but I'm willing to give it a go. My prayer right now is for Gay to make an amazing recovery, and opt out. It could happen!

Well first, I don't think you have to trade Cousins to do a total rebuild. Of course its a path you can take, and that's a big decision, but I think you can rebuild with him in place. I agree that the players the Kings would have left if everything plays out the way it appears it should, are all keepers. At least right now. But it leaves the team with bare bones to start next season. If Rudy opts in, and logic says he will, we'll have around 28.5 mil in cap space. If for some reason he decides to opt out, then that jumps up to around 42.8 mil.

Either way, we'll have some money to work with. It's possible that some of this will change at the trade deadline. Players like Collison or Koufos could be traded for immediate, or future assets. Bot have value around the league, especially to teams in the playoff hunt with roster holes to fill. Such as the Cav's who are in the hunt for a backup PG. I believe Houston has already inquired about Koufos. Whether we're sellers or not will probably depend on where we're at in the standings at the trade deadline.

I know a lot of fans easily discard our draft pick as something that's slightly relevant to the future of the team. If we have it OK, and if we lose it, no big deal. Well it can be a big deal. Cousins was a draft pick. Because the Kings have made some bad choices doesn't mean the process is bad. Choose wisely, and you get at minimum, a good rotation player, and at best, a quality starter. And at a very very reasonable price for four years. And the way the new CBA is set up, you'll have the best chance of resigning that player if you desire to do so.

There's a very good chance we're going to be passed in the standings by a team (Philly) that's been the laughing stock of the NBA. Why? Because they tanked for top draft choices. Guess what? It looks like what Hinkie was doing is going to work. But, it does take time and patience. Personally, I have the patience. Not sure about the time part, but I'm willing to give it a go. My prayer right now is for Gay to make an amazing recovery, and opt out. It could happen!
Maybe the only thing we disagree is Cuz and total rebuild. With Cuz on the team there is no way we can pull Hinkie.
For the record, I like what Hinkie did in Philly, and wish Kings did the same when Kevin was the top star of the team.
However, he did that after seasons of Philly being in the playoff and asked for 3 years of complete utter sucking. Without time machine it is a very different situation.

Sometimes I think that observations about Kings over past 10 years get merged and that is a mistake.
There is very clear cut in leadership and direction that started last summer and is now definite this summer.
Nobody from the leadership clusterf@$ is left, beside owner who seems to have learned his lesson. All the bumbling, going for vets like Landry, giving away pick for JJ Hickson, getting all the goodies (lack of) for talents like Reke and IT... nothing to do with today, clean cut.

I agree that picks are very important and from what I see is Vlade does to.
For Belli and one pick, we got 4 first rounders, and so far they do not look bad.
I trust that if playoff teams want to pay solid price Vlade will not refuse the deal. If not, trades can be made on the draft day.
Too early to start firesale/tanking talks and lower the price of the assets anyway.

End of March-April will be the time to decide - chasing playoff or 10th spot. Of course that might be already decided for us.
Until then, playing every game as if it is a championship game is important for all our "bare bones", whether they actually play or just participate on the journey.
Speaking of "bare bones", they look quite meaty compared to the bare bones we had during this summer :)

Trade #1
CLE Gets:
Ty Lawson
CLE Gives: Cedi Osman
Why for CLE? Lawson gives them another playmaker and more PG depth to help them compete for another title this year.

SAC Gets: Cedi Osman
SAC Gives: Ty Lawson
Why for SAC? Osman is a good, young prospect who also gives us a prospect at a position we need (SF)

Trade #2
Team X Gets:
Ben McLemore
Team X Gives: 2018 2nd Round Pick
Why for Team X? Take a cheap flyer on McLemore

SAC Gets: 2018 2nd Round Pick
SAC Gives: Ben McLemore
Why for SAC? Get some value for McLemore while also having 2 young SGs as the future

Trade #3
TOR Gets:
Omri Casspi
TOR Gives: Delon Wright & Fred VanVleet
Why for TOR? Move their 3rd & 4th string PG for a sharp shooting SF/PF to help them with their playoff run.

SAC Gets: Delon Wright & Fred VanVleet
SAC Gives: Omri Casspi
Why for SAC? Get a couple of young PGs on rookie contracts that can develop into useful players

Trade #4
WAS Gets:
Darren Collison
WAS Gives: Trey Burke, Danuel House, & WAS 2017 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
Why for WAS? Washington's bench has been horrible this season. Collison gives them a sixth man type and a very tight 3 guard rotation (Wall, Beal, & Collison).

SAC Gets: Trey Burke, Danuel House, & WAS 2017 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
SAC Gives: Darren Collison
Why for SAC? Pick up a late 1st round pick for an expiring PG that could leave for nothing next year.

Trade #5
CHA Gets:
Kosta Koufos
CHA Gives: Roy Hibbert, Christian Wood, & CHA 2019 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
Why for CHA? Get a solid defensive C to help them compete now for a couple of expiring and a late 1st 3 years from now.

HOU Gets: Roy Hibbrt & Christian Wood
HOU Gives: Corey Brewer & HOU 2017 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
Why for HOU? Brewer is deadweight to them. Moving him for a couple of expirings allows them to have $21 mil in cap space next year with Beverley, Harden, Gordon, Ariza, Dekker Anderson, Harrell, Onuaku, & Capela still under contract. They could pick up another solid player to help push them over the top in the 2017-18 season.

SAC Gets: Corey Brewer, HOU 2017 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected), & CHA 2019 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
SAC Gives: Kosta Koufos
Why for SAC? We have Cousins at C already with two young guys who can play the backup C role in the future, so moving him for a couple of 1sts along with a player who's contract will expire with the a lot of other contracts (Temple, Afflalo, Gay, Barnes, & Tolliver) would be a good return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016-17 Roster (to Finish the Year):
PG - Wright / VanVleet / Burke
SG - Temple / Richardson
SF - Afflalo / Barnes / Brewer / Gay
PF - Tolliver / Labissiere / House
C - Cousins / Cauley-Stein / Papagiannis

2017-18 Roster:
PG - Wright / VanVleet
SG - Temple / Bogdanovic / Richardson
SF - Osman / Gay
PF - Cauley-Stein / Labissiere / Tolliver
C - Cousins / Papagiannis
*waive Afflalo, Brewer, & Barnes
**SAC 2017 1st, WAS 2017 1st, & HOU 2017 1st

2018-19 Roster:
PG - Wright
SG - Bogdanovic / Richardson
SF - Osman
PF - Cauley-Stein / Labissiere
*assuming Temple opts out for a bigger payday
**SAC 2017 1st, WAS 2017 1st, HOU 2017 1st, SAC 2018 1st, & SAC 2018 2nd
***~$40 mil in cap space with these 13 players under contract

dude12

Hall of Famer
Trade #1
CLE Gets:
Ty Lawson
Why for CLE? Lawson gives them another playmaker and more PG depth to help them compete for another title this year.

Why for SAC? Osman is a good, young prospect who also gives us a prospect at a position we need (SF)

Trade #2
Team X Gets:
Ben McLemore

Why for SAC? Get some value for McLemore while also having 2 young SGs as the future

Trade #3
TOR Gets:
Omri Casspi
Why for TOR? Move their 3rd & 4th string PG for a sharp shooting SF/PF to help them with their playoff run.

Why for SAC? Get a couple of young PGs on rookie contracts that can develop into useful players

Trade #4
WAS Gets:
Darren Collison
WAS Gives: Trey Burke, Danuel House, & WAS 2017 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
Why for WAS? Washington's bench has been horrible this season. Collison gives them a sixth man type and a very tight 3 guard rotation (Wall, Beal, & Collison).

SAC Gets: Trey Burke, Danuel House, & WAS 2017 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
Why for SAC? Pick up a late 1st round pick for an expiring PG that could leave for nothing next year.

Trade #5
CHA Gets:
Kosta Koufos
CHA Gives: Roy Hibbert, Christian Wood, & CHA 2019 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
Why for CHA? Get a solid defensive C to help them compete now for a couple of expiring and a late 1st 3 years from now.

Why for HOU? Brewer is deadweight to them. Moving him for a couple of expirings allows them to have $21 mil in cap space next year with Beverley, Harden, Gordon, Ariza, Dekker Anderson, Harrell, Onuaku, & Capela still under contract. They could pick up another solid player to help push them over the top in the 2017-18 season.

SAC Gets: Corey Brewer, HOU 2017 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected), & CHA 2019 1st Round Pick (Top 20 Protected)
Why for SAC? We have Cousins at C already with two young guys who can play the backup C role in the future, so moving him for a couple of 1sts along with a player who's contract will expire with the a lot of other contracts (Temple, Afflalo, Gay, Barnes, & Tolliver) would be a good return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SG - Temple / Richardson

2017-18 Roster:
PG - Wright / VanVleet
SF - Osman / Gay

2018-19 Roster:
PG - Wright
SF - Osman
If we did all these moves and went that young, I'm not so sure Boogie would be on board with it......but it's going to be more difficult to move Lawson and DC as we stay in this race and get better. I can see Ben gone......and then possibly Casspi but, I think the specter of the playoffs is to strong a pull.

If we did all these moves and went that young, I'm not so sure Boogie would be on board with it......but it's going to be more difficult to move Lawson and DC as we stay in this race and get better. I can see Ben gone......and then possibly Casspi but, I think the specter of the playoffs is to strong a pull.
It's not difficult to move them. They could very much be gone next year.

How does a real fighting for a playoffs spot make 5 trades
Glad you asked.... I'd recommend reading my post from the Hornets grade thread. I quoted it for you below

But we are desperate for talent and talent that won't be declining in Cousins' prime.

I'd rather us build that talent through a flurry of young players. Let Joerger establish the culture and let the chemistry build with these players that we will have control over for the next 5-8 years. Not players that can be gone in a year or two (Collison, Lawson, Temple, Afflalo, McLemore, Gay, Barnes, Casspi, Tolliver, & Koufos). In the meantime, the rookie contracts will give us an opportunity to sign good/great FAs in a couple years depending on how attractive the team is beginning to look.

I guess it comes down to do you think this team has enough talent to one day compete for a Championship? I don't, so I think the team should take steps to build towards that vision. Considering we've never been a good FA for stars, that means relying on the draft, developing our current young players, and trades to acquire the talent necessary to be that competitive one day. A playoff appearance is nice, but in the grand scheme of things it's not going to help us in FA as much as people think. A top 10 pick in this years draft is much more valuable than increasing your chances of landing a star in FA from 5% to 10% (for example). Trading off the remaining short term vets for young pieces and picks gives us a couple more shots at finding a game changer or it at least gives us more assets to utilize in a trade for a game changer.

You'll never see me root against the Kings in a game. I'll shout at my TV the entire game, but the GM in me sees it differently. I don't let the emotional highs & lows of how the team is currently doing affect that judgement.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Trade #1
CLE Gets:
Ty Lawson

Trade #2
Team X Gets:
Ben McLemore

Trade #3
TOR Gets:
Omri Casspi

Trade #4
WAS Gets:
Darren Collison

Trade #5
CHA Gets:
Kosta Koufos

SG - Temple / Richardson

2017-18 Roster:
PG - Wright / VanVleet
SF - Osman / Gay

2018-19 Roster:
PG - Wright
SF - Osman
With all due respect, Vlade has spent the last two seasons building a winning team culture with all the vets you've randomly decided to trade away for late 1st rounders (i.e. guys that you're hoping reach the same talent level as the dudes you're trading away). Also Ty Lawson can get you more than Osman on the open market.

You're essentially telling Boogie, "Hey man, I hope you like losing because we're going to suck for a couple of more seasons now. Enjoy. Oh, by the way, here's your contract extension. Boogie? Where are you going? Boogie?"

With all due respect, Vlade has spent the last two seasons building a winning team culture with all the vets you've randomly decided to trade away for late 1st rounders (i.e. guys that you're hoping reach the same talent level as the dudes you're trading away). Also Ty Lawson can get you more than Osman on the open market.

You're essentially telling Boogie, "Hey man, I hope you like losing because we're going to suck for a couple of more seasons now. Enjoy. Oh, by the way, here's your contract extension. Boogie? Where are you going? Boogie?"
lol

We don't have a "winning team culture." Where are you getting that from?

And I think you'd be surprised with what Lawson would be able to fetch on the open market considering he's an expiring with no bird rights.

How do you expect do be a top team in the west? A lot of people want to challenge this idea, but they offer no solutions in return. Show me a solution or path to becoming a top notch team that has us giving up our 1st this year, has us not trading off our expirings for young talent, and doesn't have unrealistic expectations in FA. If anyone can show me a plan that makes this team one of the best teams in the west with those qualifiers, I'll jump on board.

Cousins has already said that he would sign the extension with us. Sure, he could still leave, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy that would do that (especially since he seems so hell bent on being the one to leaf the Kings to relevancy once again).

You can look at the team as constructed and hope that Richardson, Bogdanovic, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, Papagiannis, & the 2018 1st round pick develop into enough talent to become an elite team around Cousins, and I'm not necessarily saying that isn't a possibility, but if the hope is in our current young players, why would we not want to acquire some more to increase the odds? None of our current vets are going to be getting better. In fact, a lot of them may be (close to) declining or will not be here when this team has more talent. I'd rather not waste these first couple of years building chemistry with players who won't be here when it's time to compete. Bring more guys in here that are young and have potential, develop the young guys, & build chemistry. Wright, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Osman, Cauley-Stein, Labissiere, Papagiannis, Cousins, SAC 2017 1st, HOU 2017 1st, WAS 2017 1st, & SAC 2018 1st gives us numerous chances to develop/find another star or two next to Cousins. It may very well be that Richardson & Labissiere turn out to be stars (meaning we could have just stuck with the vets we had at the time knowing we would have the talent to compete at a high level in the future. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. We don't know, so why not increase the odds? Cousins has verbally said he wants to stay here and resign, so what's the rush in going for it all right now? If it's ticket sales & filling the new arena, that's not good enough for me. My goal is for us to build a winner.

EDIT: Also, how do you know that we would be a losing team for the next couple years in my scenario? You're assuming because the team is young that we are going to suck. Is there no thought that the young guys could perform? Is there no thought that Richardson continues to play well, Bogdanovic & Osman are able to come over next year and contribute right away, Cauley-Stein finds his groove, Labissiere adds some strength during the offseason, Papagiannis adjusts to the speed of the game and improves his fitness, our 1st round pick looks like a star in making, etc. the fact of the matter is you don't know. On the flip side, what happens if we don't do anything and the Kings still miss the playoffs the next couple of years? You essentially could be in the same situation as I'm suggesting but with much less potential to become a good team. Is Cousins going to be more satisfied because we did everything we could to make the playoffs immediately but still ended up being losers? Or is he going to see a FO who failed to meet their goal of making the playoffs all the while having only a few players who have potential to become better?

I know my opinion is probably not popular considering Kings fans have been through a decade of losing and all they want to see is some winning, but really stop and think about the future. Think about where this team is at today. Think about the record we hold and where we're at in the standings. Think about some of the teams that are ahead of us and who some of the upcoming teams are. Think about the talent on the team. Think about the star potential on this team. Think about the age of a lot of the players on this team. Think about the contract situations on this team. Think about how successful this team has been in FA. If you stop and think about all of those things, you may find yourself come to a different conclusion.

Last edited:
Sixers current starting PG, who looks like a solid backup PG for a winning team, was an undrafted FA. Same with current starting PF of the Grizzlies.
You just have to look hard through the rubble. No need to trade vets for an assortment of young players.

If Omri's physical problems are not chronical, he's a valuable bench player, who has great rapport with Boogie. Lawson is excellent for a backup PG.
With Willie improving his shot it makes sense to stick him at PF. Yes, he's under-skilled there, but it's ok, since Kings are over-skilled at the other big position, plus WCS' level of physicality fits better there. So all of a sudden Kosta is your only reliable C for the next couple of years.
Skal and Papa show some potential, but let's not make it sound like KK and WCS get PT only due to seniority. Both rookies are at least couple of years from consistent production.

We don't have a "winning team culture." Where are you getting that from?

And I think you'd be surprised with what Lawson would be able to fetch on the open market considering he's an expiring with no bird rights.

How do you expect do be a top team in the west? A lot of people want to challenge this idea, but they offer no solutions in return. Show me a solution or path to becoming a top notch team that has us giving up our 1st this year, has us not trading off our expirings for young talent, and doesn't have unrealistic expectations in FA. If anyone can show me a plan that makes this team one of the best teams in the west with those qualifiers, I'll jump on board.

Cousins has already said that he would sign the extension with us. Sure, he could still leave, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy that would do that (especially since he seems so hell bent on being the one to leaf the Kings to relevancy once again).

You can look at the team as constructed and hope that Richardson, Bogdanovic, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, Papagiannis, & the 2018 1st round pick develop into enough talent to become an elite team around Cousins, and I'm not necessarily saying that isn't a possibility, but if the hope is in our current young players, why would we not want to acquire some more to increase the odds? None of our current vets are going to be getting better. In fact, a lot of them may be (close to) declining or will not be here when this team has more talent. I'd rather not waste these first couple of years building chemistry with players who won't be here when it's time to compete. Bring more guys in here that are young and have potential, develop the young guys, & build chemistry. Wright, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Osman, Cauley-Stein, Labissiere, Papagiannis, Cousins, SAC 2017 1st, HOU 2017 1st, WAS 2017 1st, & SAC 2018 1st gives us numerous chances to develop/find another star or two next to Cousins. It may very well be that Richardson & Labissiere turn out to be stars (meaning we could have just stuck with the vets we had at the time knowing we would have the talent to compete at a high level in the future. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. We don't know, so why not increase the odds? Cousins has verbally said he wants to stay here and resign, so what's the rush in going for it all right now? If it's ticket sales & filling the new arena, that's not good enough for me. My goal is for us to build a winner.

EDIT: Also, how do you know that we would be a losing team for the next couple years in my scenario? You're assuming because the team is young that we are going to suck. Is there no thought that the young guys could perform? Is there no thought that Richardson continues to play well, Bogdanovic & Osman are able to come over next year and contribute right away, Cauley-Stein finds his groove, Labissiere adds some strength during the offseason, Papagiannis adjusts to the speed of the game and improves his fitness, our 1st round pick looks like a star in making, etc. the fact of the matter is you don't know. On the flip side, what happens if we don't do anything and the Kings still miss the playoffs the next couple of years? You essentially could be in the same situation as I'm suggesting but with much less potential to become a good team. Is Cousins going to be more satisfied because we did everything we could to make the playoffs immediately but still ended up being losers? Or is he going to see a FO who failed to meet their goal of making the playoffs all the while having only a few players who have potential to become better?

I know my opinion is probably not popular considering Kings fans have been through a decade of losing and all they want to see is some winning, but really stop and think about the future. Think about where this team is at today. Think about the record we hold and where we're at in the standings. Think about some of the teams that are ahead of us and who some of the upcoming teams are. Think about the talent on the team. Think about the star potential on this team. Think about the age of a lot of the players on this team. Think about the contract situations on this team. Think about how successful this team has been in FA. If you stop and think about all of those things, you may find yourself come to a different conclusion.
Cousins interviews indicate, that he believes in his teammates and that he thinks they have a chance to make the Playoffs this season, which seems to be his ultimate goal.
If we are still in the play for the 8th seed when the deadline arrives, those trades might feel like pulling the chair from under him for Cousins.
The FO obviously sold him this season as another push for the Playoffs with a lot of veteran help. Now we seem to be stuck with this shortsigthed approach.

Sixers current starting PG, who looks like a solid backup PG for a winning team, was an undrafted FA. Same with current starting PF of the Grizzlies.
You just have to look hard through the rubble. No need to trade vets for an assortment of young players.

If Omri's physical problems are not chronical, he's a valuable bench player, who has great rapport with Boogie. Lawson is excellent for a backup PG.
With Willie improving his shot it makes sense to stick him at PF. Yes, he's under-skilled there, but it's ok, since Kings are over-skilled at the other big position, plus WCS' level of physicality fits better there. So all of a sudden Kosta is your only reliable C for the next couple of years.
Skal and Papa show some potential, but let's not make it sound like KK and WCS get PT only due to seniority. Both rookies are at least couple of years from consistent production.
But those are the exception. Not the rule. Besides, those aren't the players that are pushing a team over the edge. The only way I see this team becoming anything of relevance is through a big FA signing (history tells us this isn't likely) or some of our young guys develop into great players (Bogdanovic becomes Ginobli, Richardson becomes Middleton, Labissiere becomes Aldridge w/ better shotblocking, Cauley-Stein becomes Chandler w/ a jumpshot, Papagiannis becomes Koufos with a better post game/jump shot).

A bunch of good bench playing veterans isn't going to catapult this team. We need to think bigger than that.

Cousins interviews indicate, that he believes in his teammates and that he thinks they have a chance to make the Playoffs this season, which seems to be his ultimate goal.
If we are still in the play for the 8th seed when the deadline arrives, those trades might feel like pulling the chair from under him for Cousins.
The FO obviously sold him this season as another push for the Playoffs with a lot of veteran help. Now we seem to be stuck with this shortsigthed approach.
To me, it seems pretty silly to try and lose a top 10 pick (which going by the talent of this draft is similar to a top 3-5 pick in other drafts) for a pretty meaningless playoff run. Sure, it will mean a lot to Cousins, but it's essentially just another way this team would be bleeding talent. People like to look back on the Evans & Thomas trades and say we missed out on an opportunity to get value back. This is essentially the same thing. It's just wrapped in different wrapping paper.

You just offered to give up any chance at POs for unproven players with suspect upside and a bunch of late first-rounders - "those aren't the players that are pushing a team over the edge."
A chance at the POs? What's the end goal after that? Where do we go in the 2017-18 season? 2018-19 season? If you're just satisfied with an 8th seed appearance, more power to you. It's not my place to tell one fan what they should and should not be satisfied with.

We know what we have in our old roleplayers. They "aren't the players that are pushing a team over the edge."

Since when are young players with potential & late 1sts unable of pushing a team over the edge? In your own words, "you just have to look hard through the rubble."

And most importantly, you seem to be neglecting the retention of our very own 1st. The biggest asset of them all.

To me, it seems pretty silly to try and lose a top 10 pick (which going by the talent of this draft is similar to a top 3-5 pick in other drafts) for a pretty meaningless playoff run. Sure, it will mean a lot to Cousins, but it's essentially just another way this team would be bleeding talent. People like to look back on the Evans & Thomas trades and say we missed out on an opportunity to get value back. This is essentially the same thing. It's just wrapped in different wrapping paper.
I tend to agree, but I would think Cousins, Vlade and Vivek might view things a bit different, or else they would have chosen a different approach before the season. Even while the season was already underway there was plenty of time to cash in on Gay or other expirings to bring in young players or some picks. We chose to stay put, which is pretty telling about the way our FO views this season.

On a side note: Marcus Smart had two emotional outbursts directed at his own coaching staff over a short stretch of games. Celtics could use a defensive big to back up or to play alongside Horford.....;)

I tend to agree, but I would think Cousins, Vlade and Vivek might view things a bit different, or else they would have chosen a different approach before the season. Even while the season was already underway there was plenty of time to cash in on Gay or other expirings to bring in young players or some picks. We chose to stay put, which is pretty telling about the way our FO views this season.

On a side note: Marcus Smart had two emotional outbursts directed at his own coaching staff over a short stretch of games. Celtics could use a defensive big to back up or to play alongside Horford.....;)
I'm not disagreeing with that statement, but that obviously doesn't make them right.

A chance at the POs? What's the end goal after that? Where do we go in the 2017-18 season? 2018-19 season? If you're just satisfied with an 8th seed appearance, more power to you. It's not my place to tell one fan what they should and should not be satisfied with.

We know what we have in our old roleplayers. They "aren't the players that are pushing a team over the edge."

Since when are young players with potential & late 1sts unable of pushing a team over the edge? In your own words, "you just have to look hard through the rubble."

And most importantly, you seem to be neglecting the retention of our very own 1st. The biggest asset of them all.
If you make POs and Pels don't, you can approach Jrue Holiday/a few other guys and say "Hey, we are a PO team with the best big in the game and a lot of flexibility. Come back to California! You are an upgrade to our PO team, that finished last season very strong. Let's see, what we can do next year!"
Blazers just like this season had very easy second part of the schedule, so people assumed they are as good as half a season record. That's how perception is created. And Kings had a new coach and a bunch of new players, so if they finish 20-15, that's how they will be looked at going into the summer.

I indeed forgot about 1st rounder, but it's not Kings' one, it's worst of Kings/Sixers, so if Sixers refuse to tank, you are likely looking at something around #10, where there are no game-changing talent.

Don't know, if Vlade considered this, when doing that trade or just stumbled into it by accident, but he borrowed the classic from game theory: make a commitment and then put your back against the wall to show everyone, you're sicking to it - when you have a lack of credibility, you have to walk an extra mile. In other words, Kings are going push for wins no matter what as long as Boogie is healthy.

I'm seeing steady improvement in the Kings passing game. They are starting to execute the plays being called by Joerger. The defensive scheme is starting to gel. Trading Rudy and Ben I am for. Earlier I would have traded other players. At this point I am happy to ride with the current players.

I can see both sides of this argument, however I think you may have overlooked an important element when it comes to losing. This team NEEDS a culture change. We've been losing for too long and in my opinion, losing breeds more losing. Tanking another season (or 2, or 3) could push some people over the edge. I'm talking fans, players, coaches, management all could bail out in varying degrees. We're left with more doom and gloom, more national media stereotypes, more dysfunction.

Luckily the opposite could happen if we push for the playoffs. Winning breeds winning and let's get things straight, playoffs is winning. Forget the record. We make the playoffs and the narrative starts to change. Maybe we make a couple more savvy signings (a la Temple, Tolliver, Lawson), maybe even pick up a young player or two along the way. Meanwhile the young players we already have, get a taste of a winning environment and it helps them to grow. Suddenly we're battling for the playoffs every year. The players are into it, the media are into it, the fans are definitely into it. There's positivity in the arena, media and locker room. Eventually we start to dream bigger. We don't just want playoffs we want a contender! But all that takes time. That's why people are reluctant to take that step back, we've only just started on the road recovery (again!). Do we really want to jump straight back into that losing mentality and pray we hit in the draft?

Keith SmithVerified account‏@KeithSmithNBA
Follow
More
Sources indicate Orlando has had several offers for Serge Ibaka, but continue to hold out for a package that includes young players/picks.

Sporting News posted this also:

“They’re asking too much,” one front office executive said. “(The Magic) would probably like to make a few moves there, but Ibaka is the one they’re really pushing because he is going to leave. But they have had too high a price. They want a young player and a pick, two young players — you know, a package that can get them back some assets. They’re not going to get that. Not for three, maybe four months of Serge Ibaka.”

got laughed in the previous thread for Ibaka trades, probably would have to give up one or two of WCS, Richardson, Skal to get it done though. Obviously need a guarantee that Ibaka would re-sign as well which is a big risk.