State of the Kings Pre-trade Deadline Edition

Will Haliburton be our best player at some point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not like the idea of trading Barnes at all.
Trading Hield and/or Bagley would not bother me at all.
I think we'd be selling low on Bagley but best case right now is looking like he goes the Aaron Gordon route (we re-sign him to a reasonable extension before we ship him).

I think dealing CoJo for Le Samouraï makes us better. I don't know if the guys we picked up today will play big roles - Harkless might provide some defense off the bench, and I suppose we'll see if Silva and Davis play much.

But I think it's pretty clear that we're gunning for a play-in spot. After our second down-turn of the season we're playing pretty well again, and at the very least we did not sell. Whiteside is still here. Buddy is still here. Barnes is still here. Holmes is still here. Bagley is still here. We played the deadline like a team who thinks that a small move here and there coupled with improved play of late can sneak us into a play-in spot, and that we'd rather do that than hit the reset button again. But we didn't play it like a team who was desperate to mortgage the future to make up the 7 games we'd have to make up to get into the playoffs outright without a play-in.

To me, it looks like we're not hitting the reset button and we're not panicking. We're going to try to run with essentially this core (Fox/Hali/Barnes/Bagley/Hield/Holmes, though some may get traded for other core pieces) and try to fill in around them in free agency/middle 2021 1st rather blow up the core and try to rebuild around Fox/Hali/Lotto 2021 1st. I don't think that's the wrong strategy, especially given that the tank race is already being won by other teams, and it's probably better morale-wise for Fox/Hali to fight than for this team to give up yet again.
We arguably got a small bit better but we didn't do anything long term either way. Which is why I think it's a stand-pat move. It seems like we have a lot of cap uncertainty next year based on Holmes and Bagley's looming extension so the guys we acquired vs. who we just sent out seems like it could solve the issues of spending full market on depth next season, when (fingers crossed again) we will have a new coach and could legitimately contend for a non-Covid related playoff berth and an above .500 record.

And like you said, there's just no way we get into those bottom 4 spots and the revised lotto odds don't make tanking quite what it used to be either.

I really can't imagine the thought process being "What if this guy plays too well? Let's cut him!" I mean, that is not a thing that happens.

Still, the move to cut Kabengele is inexplicable. We just traded for him, and got essentially nothing (a 31-55 protected pick from the Hawks, so that's not conveying) in exchange for picking up the ~$1M on his deal. Fine, if you're going to play him. But if you're just going to toss him out with the dishwater the next day...we just burned like $1M. Hey, Monte! Next time you want to burn $1M, why don't you call ME first instead of the Clippers?
I mentioned the deal probably got more cash considerations than his due salary, so it was probably only for Vivek's bank account. And if we were not going to use the TPE anyways...

We arguably got a small bit better but we didn't do anything long term either way. Which is why I think it's a stand-pat move. It seems like we have a lot of cap uncertainty next year based on Holmes and Bagley's looming extension so the guys we acquired vs. who we just sent out seems like it could solve the issues of spending full market on depth next season, when (fingers crossed again) we will have a new coach and could legitimately contend for a non-Covid related playoff berth and an above .500 record.

And like you said, there's just no way we get into those bottom 4 spots and the revised lotto odds don't make tanking quite what it used to be either.
The chance bagley gets extended is between 0 and 0. He will be a restricted free agent.

I think dealing CoJo for Le Samouraï makes us better. I don't know if the guys we picked up today will play big roles - Harkless might provide some defense off the bench, and I suppose we'll see if Silva and Davis play much.

But I think it's pretty clear that we're gunning for a play-in spot...
We arguably got a small bit better but we didn't do anything long term either way. Which is why I think it's a stand-pat move...
I agree with most of your assessment.

Outside of what you've said, the sneaky side effect we are also getting from these seemingly small moves is that we are also shredding salary and most of the new players we acquired are on expiring contracts as well. They can be useful rotation players if play well and can be useful trade pieces down the road if not.

It's so refreshing to see a professional GM who acts professionally and not base on emotion. Plus we never heard any of his trades leaked beforehand. Reminds me of Geoff.

The chance bagley gets extended is between 0 and 0.
I don't think we let him walk for nothing so it will most likely be that he goes on the unrestricted market but he might be more tradeable if he agreed to an extension of some sort. So who knows. Obviously at this point he'd be lucky to get a small raise over the salary he is making as a #2 pick.

Never say never.

He could get signed-and-traded. :)
It would be beneficial to both parties I think if he took a 2-3 year extension at a reasonable salary. He has not shown himself to be a 20million per year player. Otherwise he could find himself playing year 5 on the qualifying offer and then facing a very tough reality.

I don't think we let him walk for nothing so it will most likely be that he goes on the unrestricted market but he might be more tradeable if he agreed to an extension of some sort. So who knows. Obviously at this point he'd be lucky to get a small raise over the salary he is making as a #2 pick.
I can see him taking the 1 year qualify offer if we dont recind it first making him unrestricted.

I can see him taking the 1 year qualify offer if we dont recind it first making him unrestricted.
I think we both posted at the same time - but yeah he's not going to get 125% of his current contract any other way, so he either takes a small extension or he takes the qualifying offer and has 1 year to prove it or he'll be going the WCS route.

Status
Not open for further replies.