Things you would change about the NBA

Watching Nurkic get the continuation foul called on Sabonis by swinging his arms into Sabonis's from behind the 3 point line is a perfect example of the need for a rule change. Nurkic had no intention of shooting, and the defensive player is entitled to the dead space that they place their hands in. If it's the offensive player that initiates the contact, the way Nurkic did, it can't be rewarded with a whistle and free throws.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
relegation works when you have a league of 18 teams like soccer leagues do. not 32. French League is doing relegation of the bottom four now to minimize clubs at the top level which is better for competition.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
relegation works when you have a league of 18 teams like soccer leagues do. not 32. French League is doing relegation of the bottom four now to minimize clubs at the top level which is better for competition.
I'm not really sure how league size plays in. The problem with relegation in the NBA is that there's no second-tier league where a team could go - the G-League is an entirely different (and entirely lesser) beast.

A related strategy that might work could be pseudo-relegation, where the "pseudo-relegated" teams continue to play a normal NBA circuit, but they are ineligible for the playoffs (and potentially ineligible for the lottery). You could have the four worst teams be PR'ed for the next season, or the bottom two teams PR'ed for two seasons so there are four teams ineligible for the playoffs every year regardless of their record. That might not be a big penalty, as teams that are the worst one year are unlikely to be in the playoffs the next, but that general strategy could substitute for actual relegation.

I'm not really sure how league size plays in. The problem with relegation in the NBA is that there's no second-tier league where a team could go - the G-League is an entirely different (and entirely lesser) beast.

A related strategy that might work could be pseudo-relegation, where the "pseudo-relegated" teams continue to play a normal NBA circuit, but they are ineligible for the playoffs (and potentially ineligible for the lottery). You could have the four worst teams be PR'ed for the next season, or the bottom two teams PR'ed for two seasons so there are four teams ineligible for the playoffs every year regardless of their record. That might not be a big penalty, as teams that are the worst one year are unlikely to be in the playoffs the next, but that general strategy could substitute for actual relegation.
The value of the bottom half teams would collapse overnight. For that reason alone, I just don‘t see it.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Don‘t see this generation going for that. The elite players want to become billionaires n dont believe in getting paid less to win.
There are some challenges to be sure. If you institute a hard cap, is there still a zone below that with a luxury tax? If not, are the teams that normally benefitting from the LT payments now out of luck? Will there be a higher "floor" that teams have to meet to help offset the lower ceiling? Would you phase it in over time, starting with a very high limit due to some current teams' payroll and then roll it down to the desired limit over time?

I like the idea, but it is going to take some finesse and compromise to implement.

There are some challenges to be sure. If you institute a hard cap, is there still a zone below that with a luxury tax? If not, are the teams that normally benefitting from the LT payments now out of luck? Will there be a higher "floor" that teams have to meet to help offset the lower ceiling? Would you phase it in over time, starting with a very high limit due to some current teams' payroll and then roll it down to the desired limit over time?

I like the idea, but it is going to take some finesse and compromise to implement.
Yea, there's different ways to cut it. One possible solution is do an MLS like salary carve out for the top two (or maybe three) players and then have a rev sharing system between the owners and the players. But then it essentially groups the stakeholders into three warring camps (the elite players, the owners, and the non-elite players). If that's the path, they should create a fourth stakeholder (a pension and healthcare fund for the players) and have that balance out the competing interests. A league like the NBA, with a tiny pool of alumni, should be able to take care of its alums (past, current, and future).

Just let guys play defense and stop allowing offensive players to purposely run into defenders and flop their way to the free throw line.
I think that just by allowing defense to be played would solve a lot of issues.There certainly would be less complaining from a players that were called a ridiculous touchy foul on D, there also might be less complaining from an attacking player if it's firmly established that offensive and defensive players are on equal grounds and you will not get a call by looking for a contact.The best players would be able to stay on the court because they would not be in constant foul trouble.Less free throws more fluidity to the game.

The modern NBA is performance athletics that somewhat resembles basketball. Now on every possession there is carrying the ball, traveling and double dribbles. Moving screens are common. Entering the lane before the ball hits the basket on a free throw.

I agree about throwing up shots after a foul. The 3 has changed the game a lot. Much less team work. More run and gun. 140 point games are not the best.

It would help a lot if the officiating were more consistent. The playoffs are a like a different sport than the regular season.

Discourage acting. Players try to sell being fouled. They fake being hurt much like soccer. Flopping is the worst.
The best way to discourage flopping is to not call a foul on the play. Then the defender is on the floor and the play continues.

Discourage acting. Players try to sell being fouled. They fake being hurt much like soccer. Flopping is the worst.
The best way to discourage flopping is to not call a foul on the play. Then the defender is on the floor and the play continues.
Here's a thought. Go back to fining players for flopping.

What I'd change about the NBA is the carrying of the ball. Wish it was a uniform rule, called by the letter of the law. Time and time again, in clutch moments the refs swallow their whistles n let the ball get cradled LIKE WERE PLAYING LACROSSE and since its a high impact moment the refs dont call it --- and so this festers and now everyone wants to get away with it and its spread like steriods did during lance armstrong tour de france days, which is 'everyones getting away with it so im gonna do it too'.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Most days it feels like I have way fewer complaints about the NBA than the average KingsFans.com poster but, if there were one change I would definitely make, it would be to eliminate the mandatory delay between rounds, in the event of multiple series ending early. Like, the fact that The Finals won't start until June 1st, even if both conference finals end up being sweeps is absolutely ridiculous.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Most days it feels like I have way fewer complaints about the NBA than the average KingsFans.com poster but, if there were one change I would definitely make, it would be to eliminate the mandatory delay between rounds, in the event of multiple series ending early. Like, the fact that The Finals won't start until June 1st, even if both conference finals end up being sweeps is absolutely ridiculous.
While I agree, I'm sure a chunk of that just has to do with network scheduling, etc. I can't think of why else such delays would be necessary.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm absolutely certain that it's network scheduling, but it didn't used to be like that. Having to potentially wait eight days between the end of the conference finals and the start of The Finals is absurd. If both series end by tomorrow (which is still on the table), the Finals should start no later than Friday.

I Feel like the solution falls within the existing rules. No need to make more.

and how is this different from the "we can't call every foul becuase everyone would foul out."? 2 flops and your out? No way that sticks.

The NBA made a mess of officiating thats the problem they need to fix. Not pull through shooting fouls, not flopping.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I Feel like the solution falls within the existing rules. No need to make more.

and how is this different from the "we can't call every foul becuase everyone would foul out."? 2 flops and your out? No way that sticks.

The NBA made a mess of officiating thats the problem they need to fix. Not pull through shooting fouls, not flopping.
instead of giving technicals, simply ignore the flop and with consistency, players will eventually stop doing it because they see it's hurting their team with the numbers game. It may take sometime to implement and be consistent but if this message is followed through with regularity, I think it can be done. It wasn't an issue in the 2000's until about the 2010s.