Things you would change about the NBA

International games would probably require more days off. Otherwise I dont really care. If I was in a small market or destination city I might be intertested more. The whole thing, for me, is pretty lackluster at this point. Im not really sure what would get me interested in the AS weeekend to be honest.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Incoming hot take/unpopular opinion: I was catching up on Oddball, and Amin Elhassan had a take about All-Star Weekend that I'm sure is going to be unpopular here, but which I find myself in one hundred percent agreement with: there should be a core group of eight locations where the All-Star game should be held, eight out of every ten years, and all eight of those core locations should be destinations that are attractive to NBA players (humorously, he left New York City off his list of core locations because it's too cold, which is a take I also agree with), the ninth year should rotate between the small-market teams, and the tenth year should be international.
Somehow I think a system that would result in the All-Star game being held in New York City once every 110 years (and in Sacramento once every 220 years) won't go over well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
International games would probably require more days off. Otherwise I dont really care. If I was in a small market or destination city I might be intertested more. The whole thing, for me, is pretty lackluster at this point. Im not really sure what would get me interested in the AS weeekend to be honest.
what if they set a point limit and the team that reaches it first wins the game, let's say first to 100. more incentive to defend, possibly

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
what if they set a point limit and the team that reaches it first wins the game, let's say first to 100. more incentive to defend, possibly
there needs to be incentive to win for there to be incentive to defend? I don't think there are any great answers but doing away with the captains pick the team on the day of the game is a must.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
there needs to be incentive to win for there to be incentive to defend? I don't think there are any great answers but doing away with the captains pick the team on the day of the game is a must.
absolutely. if you don't defend, you don't win and the winner has bragging rights which is huge among the big names and egos involved. getting rid of captains period would be a healthy approach in my opinion, how about doing a lottery style system? draw names from a ping pong ball machine.

Enforcing the rules a little more would help a lot. Traveling, double dribble, carrying the ball happen all the time. Moving screens, lane violations are next.

The 3 ball makes some games pretty boring. Its just a 3 point shooting contest. Not sure how to fix it. Back up the line one foot maybe.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Enforcing the rules a little more would help a lot. Traveling, double dribble, carrying the ball happen all the time. Moving screens, lane violations are next.
I'm not sure about double dribble - I don't see a lot of those - but the others definitely are graded on an Ivy League Curve at this point. Screens and lane violations could easily be brought under control. but traveling and carrying are basically part of the game now and I can't even imagine the stuff that has been established as "a player's signature move" getting called. It's a players' league, what are you going to do?

The 3 ball makes some games pretty boring. Its just a 3 point shooting contest. Not sure how to fix it. Back up the line one foot maybe.
At one point there was some chatter about making the line more of (or exactly) a circle, which would eliminate the corner three. Even that would change the game quite a bit as the incentive to camp out in the corner would be essentially removed. As it is, I get where you're coming from. For years the stats geeks would scream about shot efficiency and tell you that the best strategy was to shoot everything either in the paint or behind the arc, and teams just kept going after midrange shots. Finally the NBA world catches up to the stats geeks, but it totally changes the requisite skills for an NBA player. Shoot or die.

Moving the arc out a foot or two would definitely make things more interesting - open up the paint even more, reduce the efficiency advantage of the three...it's time to think about it.