The Road to catching the Spurs

Hate to admit it but my new hope after this loss is for them to finish over 500. I don't see the playoffs happening now. Things would be different if they could have gotten at least a couple of these 2 point losses.

Hate to admit it but my new hope after this loss is for them to finish over 500. I don't see the playoffs happening now. Things would be different if they could have gotten at least a couple of these 2 point losses.
Yep, that’s my goal. And it would be a solid accomplishment

Is there a still path to playoff? Yeah, but very unlikely. We need to finish .500 on this road trip, then mow every team down and put us 7 games over .500 before we play the Rockets.
If we go .500 in the next 4 games, we’re done. We need to pull an upset against Celtics or 76ers. We can’t lose more than 5 games rest of way (13-5 is minimally what we’ll need) and unfortunately we have 6 road games against playoff teams. We haven’t really shown a knack for winning on the road against the top teams so it’ll be a major stretch

If we go .500 in the next 4 games, we’re done. We need to pull an upset against Celtics or 76ers. We can’t lose more than 5 games rest of way (13-5 is minimally what we’ll need) and unfortunately we have 6 road games against playoff teams. We haven’t really shown a knack for winning on the road against the top teams so it’ll be a major stretch
Agreed.

Looking at the Spurs remaining schedule, we can hope for another 8 losses for them, including a Loss to us. That would put them at 45-37. The Kings would need to finish out 13-5 to have any shot at the playoffs.

These close losses are killing our playoff hopes. :(

Unless we start beating these good teams, instead of just getting close, we aren't making the playoffs. :( There is still time, but it's running out quickly. :(

Since Cotton Fitzsimmons bailed on Kansas City, the franchise has had 18 head coaches, one of them twice. I wanted to talk about the ones who won over 38 games: Garry St. Jean, who won 39 in '94-5 and '95-6, and Rick Adelman, who took the Kings to the playoffs in each of his eight years, winning >43 in all but the shortened '98-9 season. That's the whole list, though there have been nine coaches since then. To be fair, Malone didn't get much of a chance, but I want to give Joerger credit in advance for being the first coach to break 38 since Adelman, and one of only three in the Sac era. If they hit 40, as I imagine they will, it's just him and Rick in that club. I'm still hoping the Spurs will choke, but whatever happens with the playoffs, nicely done.

At this point Kings just need to take care of business at their end and hope one of Spurs Clippers stumble.

But Kings do have an easy stretch coming up that should put them into it. If Spurs / Clippers don't win games against teams they shouldn't beat.

Starting with the recent Nuggets loss, they've pushed their playoff aspirations into thin air. Unless they go on a 7+ game win streak ( or the Spurs go on a similar loss streak), they're sunk. The trade impact did not pay immediate dividends in wins, it seems. Barnes looks better (read more consistent) than Shumpert, but at a high cap cost, not sure the difference in value to amount paid at this point. Its too early to completely judge, but if making the playoffs this year was a goal, the trade looks to be poor. If making the team better long-term was a goal, will have to wait until next season. Being close to the playoff cusp is infuriating The Kings missing the playoffs is a big deal this season - as they need they need the experience and. confidence - 82 games is a long season. Either way, they need major work on defense and FTs - major.

Starting with the recent Nuggets loss, they've pushed their playoff aspirations into thin air. Unless they go on a 7+ game win streak ( or the Spurs go on a similar loss streak), they're sunk. The trade impact did not pay immediate dividends in wins, it seems. Barnes looks better (read more consistent) than Shumpert, but at a high cap cost, not sure the difference in value to amount paid at this point. Its too early to completely judge, but if making the playoffs this year was a goal, the trade looks to be poor. If making the team better long-term was a goal, will have to wait until next season. Being close to the playoff cusp is infuriating The Kings missing the playoffs is a big deal this season - as they need they need the experience and. confidence - 82 games is a long season. Either way, they need major work on defense and FTs - major.
Infuriating? C’mon. Most of us expected the team to flail this season in hopes for some growth of the young players. We’ve well exceeded that. It’s nice to at least still have a (thin) chance at the playoffs after all this time.
This Kingsfan has enjoyed the hell out of this season’s ride so far.

I’d argue that being close to the playoff cusp has been invigorating. I no longer think we’ll make it, but I have been infinitely more invested in the team this year than the past ten and will keep that excitement indefinitely. Judging by the life on this and other Kings boards, I don’t think I’m alone there.

It is not all that remote given that we can personally give the Spurs one of those losses on March 31.
Having the tie break with the Spurs is huge.

The Spurs game on March 31st at home is a must Win. We basically need the Spurs to lose 2 more games than we do the rest of the way. They have 16 more games and we have 17 more games.

Not impossible, but we need to concentrate on Winning every game from here on out. If we go on a tear, like a 13-4 or 12-5 to finish the season, I think we make the playoffs! ;)

Here's that 7 game win streak.

Sun, Mar 17
vs
Chicago

vs
Brooklyn

vs
Dallas

vs
Phoenix

@
Los Angeles